84 replies to this topic

Ron Alan

Ron Alan

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,732 posts
  • Car Year:1995
As a spectator watching the front of the grid come down to the starter, all 3 races started at about the same speed in about the same location...last possible second for the starter. As JD said, it's up to everyone to get up to the car in front of them with at least 2 turns to go before the front straight. The last race had fewer cars and most all did a good job of getting packed up in the last turn.

Alberto, you have your fellow drivers to thank for both situations! But I have noticed if the pace car doesn't slow down soon enough and long enough before it pulls off the field never gets together...this may have been the case in the first race.

Ron

RAmotorsports

Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Ken SM94

Ken SM94

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 143 posts
  • Region:Oregon
  • Car Year:1991
  • Car Number:94
Finally back home after an extra week in sunny California... I hope you guys know how good you have it down there!

What a great weekend of racing! You guys always put on a good event and the bbq was awsome (even though someone tried to poison me :) ) You all really make the Oregon guys feel welcome when we come down.

Congrats to Phillip for the win on Satuday and the pole for the last two races! I don't know where you found that lap in qualiying... well done.

Not sure if we'll make it to Infinion or not but right now it's on the list so we'll see.

You guys are always welcome to come up and play at our tracks.

See you soon,
Ken Sutherland
1976 4th Grade Bowling Series-Most Improved
We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Brian Ghidinelli

Brian Ghidinelli

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 465 posts
  • Region:San Francisco
  • Car Year:1999
  • Car Number:12
tsk tsk tsk on those 1.8l cars with illegal restrictor plates! Cheating is not correlated with lap times...
Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill - Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Johnny D

Johnny D

Veteran Member

• Moderators
  • 6,121 posts
  • Car Number:88

tsk tsk tsk on those 1.8l cars with illegal restrictor plates! Cheating is not correlated with lap times...

I got checked and I was a good boy. Spill it, or PM me.
J~
2011 NASA Western Endurance Racing Championship E3 Champ
We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Beta-Tester - Assisted us with beta testing the website. Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Novel Approach - When a paragraph simply won't do... Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill - Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+

Dan Cooper

Dan Cooper

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 153 posts
  • Region:33 - San Francisco
  • Car Number:40 ;-)
Copy me on that message. I wanna know who as well.
Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill - Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations!

Steve Holifield

Steve Holifield

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 20 posts
  • Region:SFR
  • Car Number:44
My guess is it was a couple of cars with old restrictor plates. The cars were new to them and they probably didn't know. No big deal.

Ron Alan

Ron Alan

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,732 posts
Have the NB plate sizes ever been changed? The NA 1.8 plate got bigger(45-47mm)...so old plate would have been a disadvantage. For sure I know some ran without RP in Festival race...but I assume that didn't matter. Was it no plates, wrong color/size plates, or modified correct color plates?

We were checked and good!

Ron

RAmotorsports

Brian Ghidinelli

Brian Ghidinelli

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 465 posts
I was just looking at the MyLaps results: http://www.mylaps.co....jsp?id=1942047:

Car #61 – CSA – Loss of qualifying times – Noncompliant restrictor – GCR 9.1.8
Car #52 – CSA – Loss of qualifying times – Noncompliant restrictor – GCR 9.1.8

Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill - Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Brian Ghidinelli

Brian Ghidinelli

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 465 posts

For sure I know some ran without RP in Festival race...but I assume that didn't matter.

What possible justification could there be that rules do not apply in the Spec Miata Festival race?
  • Sacslider likes this

Ken SM94

Ken SM94

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 143 posts
  • Region:Oregon
  • Car Number:94

What possible justification could there be that rules do not apply in the Spec Miata Festival race?

I'm curious about that one myself!!

Who was it that ran without them?
Ken Sutherland
1976 4th Grade Bowling Series-Most Improved
We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Juan Pineda

Juan Pineda

You can sleep in your car, but you can't race your house.

• SMembers
  • PipPipPip
  • 343 posts
  • Car Year:1992
  • Car Number:34
OK, were are all the videos. Done with NASCAR and F1 from last weekend. Cough 'em up guys! They are fun no matter where you finished. -Juan

CheckerLap.com -- Your race results!

We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Sacslider

Sacslider

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 196 posts
  • Car Number:27

If there is no threat of tech, those if few ethics will do as they please. As the last race of the weekend, or close to it, and named as a "bonus" race I would have expected it. Had tech been done and cars found to be illegal that previously were legal the stewarts should throw the book at them....but we shall never know...
Craig Evans
NASA NorCal SpecMiata Director Retired
NASA Norcal Region Champion - SpecMiata 2011, 2013<p>
Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill - Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! NASA Champs Winner - NASA Champs Winner Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Ron Alan

Ron Alan

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,732 posts
Let me clarify. I walked by a car just before it went to grid with it's hood up...no plate. I just made an assumption this is how it ran...and I do believe it started in the back. In another casual conversation it was discussed if RP was necessary since it was just a "fun/bonus" race...again do not know if it ran this way or not. Apologize for giving the impression this was widespread and using the words "for sure"...I didn't think it was a big deal when i wrote it but for the record I want to be accurate as now I do realize the concern. I should have written "pretty sure" My bad :o

#52 the Sharpie car says it is a 91?

Is there a RP larger than 47? If not then the 61 must have not run or modified a 47?

As Steve said I think these may have been rookie mistakes.

Ron

RAmotorsports

Steve Holifield

Steve Holifield

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 20 posts
The GCR says that a NA 1.8 must run with a 47mm restrictor plate. Even though it hurts performance and makes no sense, wouldn't a car with an older, smaller plate be non-compliant and then DQ'd? I don't know if this is what happened, just speculatin'

Brian Ghidinelli

Brian Ghidinelli

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 465 posts
I'm speculating myself, but I don't know if our tech would disallow times from someone running the smaller, more restrictive plate. Steve is right that they are not in compliance, but I bet that is not the case here.

The most egregious cheats, like modified or missing restrictor plates, are usually in the mid-pack where people don't think they'll be checked... the only way to solve this is to police ourselves and to protest. Protesting is NOT bad form! If the car is found compliant, then you shake hands and say "you beat me fair and square" (and then mutter "I didn't find your cheat... THIS time! Posted Image). If you like close competition, it is incumbent upon each of us to put a little skin in the game towards that goal.

Alberto

Alberto

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,471 posts
  • Car Year:1990

#52 the Sharpie car says it is a 91?

Sharpie car is a 91-ish 1.6L so no restrictor needed.

Can't remember if Sharpie is #52...
Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Brian Ghidinelli

Brian Ghidinelli

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 465 posts
I have confirmed with tech that the non-compliant restrictor plates were modified 47mm plates bored out to a much larger diameter.

Johnny D

Johnny D

Veteran Member

• Moderators
  • 6,121 posts
  • Car Number:88
Looks like he's getting some new doors.
Hope he doesn't forget to order the RP.
J~
2011 NASA Western Endurance Racing Championship E3 Champ
We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Beta-Tester - Assisted us with beta testing the website. Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Novel Approach - When a paragraph simply won't do... Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill - Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+

Kyle Freiheit

Kyle Freiheit

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 130 posts
  • Region:NWR
  • Car Number:8
The 10000rpm body saw is good for RPs too..... :blink:

Steve Holifield

Steve Holifield

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 20 posts

Can't remember if Sharpie is #52...

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm pretty sure the Sharpie car is #93.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users