38bfast

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,113 posts
  • Region:OVR
  • Car Year:1999
  • Car Number:38

Yes Bench I believe in most cases heads with a larger radius / blend could be remachined to a smaller radius / blend. Of course at a cost of R&R the head and remacining . 

I am hoping that the diagram to follow in the fastrack will describe the how its measured.

Ralph Provitz
V2 Motorsports

RWP80000

RWP80000

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 161 posts
  • Region:SoPac
  • Car Number:2

Because of the SM cylinder head Short Turn Radius (STR) protest at the 2014 Runoffs, SCCA went with a strict interpretation of the GCR rules language and established that any amount of deburr to the short turn radius was deemed non-compliant.  Since the language for the valve unshrouding section of the rules was very similar to the valve throat plunge cut wording, the logical conclusion is that the same strict language should and would apply to it as well going forward otherwise the potential for another mass protest.

In the case of the STR issue, it was deemed appropriate to provide an allowance within the rules, since not to do so would result in the scrapping of a large number of heads. This was the 1.5 mm allowance established as the maximum amount of STR plunge cut to port casting floor transition edge break now allowed.  But this was not the only change written in to the new rule language at this time as they also implemented a 0.375 maximum transition radius from the plunge cut to the valve bowl.  This was done to provide cover for what was being done by the engine builders that was also close to what the factory plunge cut tool transition provided and difficult to "tech".  This eliminated any conflict of a strict Rules interpretation that the transition at the bottom of the plunge cut was also to be a 90 degree sharp transition and in my opinion the correct thing to do.

The engine builders that were being "creative" with the Valve Unshrouding language had an opportunity at this time to recommend similar adjustment to the rules language for the Valve Unshrouding Relief cut but chose not to do so most probably in an attempt to keep this as a competitive advantage as they knew it was getting through tech and therefore considered Tech Shed legal.  With the closer scrutiny now taking place, this area was identified and was questioned as to how could a radius at the bottom of the Valve Unshrouding increased radial dimension cut be justified given the specific language as to wording for "sharp edge" and not creating "a smooth transition" within the rules.

There are arguments on both sides but those that replaced their heads and followed in good faith with SCCA's strict interpretation to the rules language now find themselves with new heads that are at a potential competitive dis-advantage and with no way to put the material back that was removed when following the strict interpretation.  

What this new language provides is actually quite a generous allowance over what the original rules language intended and as has been stated before, those with more generous radius transitions can become compliant without having to replace their heads.

Personally, I think it is important that the Rules language should mean what it says and when interpretation conflicts arise they should be addressed and communicated to the membership through a Bulletin with wording clarification and followed up with changes in the GCR.

Now is the time to submitted you opinions/position and requests on this issue or any other that are on your mind. 

• Ron Alan and Sean - MiataCage like this

38bfast

38bfast

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,113 posts

I just want to caution everyone that the data on the perceived performance advantage has not been validated. Some parties have identified no measurable gain and others claim a gain. As far as i know the 3 last national runoffs champions did not have a larger blend at the bottom of the cut. FWIW. 

Ralph Provitz
V2 Motorsports

Caveman-kwebb99

Caveman-kwebb99

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,062 posts
  • Region:Great lakes
  • Car Year:2000
  • Car Number:99

I'm tired or new rules that's for damn sure, but we got ourselves into this as a class now lets get ourselves out of this and keep going in the right direction.

I am not sold that this radius is anything more then another way someone does something, but the new wording will take some of that creativity out of the mix for those who wish for the class to me more SPEC in nature.

I would be absolutely opposed to the new language if it going to cause heads to be junked once again!

But this way the faithful followers of those engine builders are allowed to pay more homage to their builder as a reward for the creativity, and yet not have to start over and do the Easter egg hunt for now non existent donor heads.  

If your a competitive racer your going to refresh you head before runoffs and certainly before next season to stay at the top of your game, this will be a minimal cost while doing a refresh on the head.  That's my 2 cents

And I would feel the exact same way if I had one of these soon to be non compliant heads...  

• RWP80000 likes this

K. Webb
Powered by East Street Racing (Best engines in Spec Miata)

Driver coach, Spec Miata Prep shop, Spec Miata Setup

2016 Hard Charger award passing 12 cars runoffs 2016 Mid Ohio

2016 P3 RUNOFFS OVER 40 DIVISION LOL!

2015 First consolation prize Northern Conference Majors Title Pageant
2015 Winner Circus Cat Majors Road America

2015 Winner BlackHawk Majors crash fest

My Signature is still not as long as Danny boy's

Donor - Made PayPal donation Majors Winner - Chatterbox - Blah blah blah... Blah blah blah Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+

wheel

wheel

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 800 posts
  • Region:KC
  • Car Year:1992
  • Car Number:20

This probably should have been fixed when the STR deal was re-written, but we missed it.  The bottom line on all of this is that nobody needs to buy new heads (other than heads that had blatant STR work done).  As someone pointed out on this thread, if you have a blended cut that was not in keeping with the original "sharp" wording of the rules, you can fix it without replacing the heads.  If you have a sharp cut, you are good and you don't have to buy a new head to gain the (variously reported) benefit of a blended cut. 

wheel

FTodaro

FTodaro

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,084 posts
  • Region:Great Lakes
  • Car Year:2001
  • Car Number:35
Wheel sounds good to me, let's support the rule and get it fixed and move on. The last thing we need at this point is another BS point of argument to divide the class, this is not a big deal, this is how it should work.
  • Ron Alan and Sean - MiataCage like this

Frank
TnT Racing
SCCA Ohio Valley Region

Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+ We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Donor - Made PayPal donation

Keith Andrews

Keith Andrews

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 732 posts
  • Region:CCR, SE
  • Car Number:26

Ralph - Thank you for taking time to objectively explain what this is all about.  That was a great help to all.

It sure was a contrast to the tale that Sean was spinning.

Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Bench Racer

Bench Racer

Different strokes for different folks : )

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,508 posts
  • Region:Milwaukee
  • Car Year:1990
  • Car Number:14

When rules are written which will have dimensions within the rule description someone should hand sketch at minimum the area to be described by the rule. Then all dimensions required to manufacture said part should be applied to the sketch. I'm not suggesting a sketch/drawing is required for every rule with dimensions. What I am suggesting is that by following the above process, we'll not have words like bevel and curve show up in a rule and we will have looked at all dimensions required to write a rule.

But then as a retired mechanical engineer, what the hell do I know.

I wrote my last letter a couple months ago because "Interpreting and Applying the GCR" protocol was/is not being followed.  Why you ask why, the straight forward simple answer is, when SCCA committee members respond, it's been that way for twenty years and it isn't going to change, why write. 

David Dewhurst

SCCA #250772 

Broken record - You are starting to sound like a broken record. Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Bench Racer

Bench Racer

Different strokes for different folks : )

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,508 posts
  • Region:Milwaukee
  • Car Year:1990
  • Car Number:14

let's support the rule and get it fixed and move on.

I hope like hell with your word "fixed", your suggesting replacing the word bevel and curve with the words chamfer and radius/R which are normal everyday engineering and manufacturing words. 

Broken record - You are starting to sound like a broken record. Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Sean - MiataCage

Sean - MiataCage

• Moderators
  • 301 posts

Ralph - Thank you for taking time to objectively explain what this is all about.  That was a great help to all.

It sure was a contrast to the tale that Sean was spinning.

Not sure what tale I was spinning.  Ralph was involved in all of this from the get go and can corroborate what and how it all went down.  He and I had a couple of conversations about it throughout the process.  Unfortunately all that have been involved are not always willing to speak up publicly so I get tasked with speaking about it because I simply don't care about how it may be perceived.  If I believe it is right I will always stand up for what I think is right.

The "Tale" was pretty simple..... The rule was in my mind and "others" clear.  Some motor builders chose to play in the gray area.  I asked for a formal clarification so I could choose to make the changes to my cars and could not get one.  From there it was escalated to someone who could get me an answer.  Please tell me what "Tale" I was spinning.  If anything the fact that the CRB has chosen to re-write the rule only backs up my assessment that it needed clarification.

If you are going to start throwing stones at me, please use some facts in your argument.  If I have mis-stated something then I will most certainly apologize and take responsibility for it.

Your move......

• Alberto likes this
Sean Hedrick - President
www.miatacage.com
360-606-7734
Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Sponsor / Advertiser - Site sponsor / advertiser... support these guys!

wheel

wheel

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 800 posts
  • Region:KC
  • Car Year:1992
  • Car Number:20

By the way, there will be a diagram when the final Fastrack goes on line.  The person who is doing the drawing had to go out and RACE this weekend and didn't put his racing on hold to do the drawing.  

I don't see where anyone has spun anything with regard to this issue.  The original rule had an intention.  The wording of the rule left that intention open to "creative" interpretation.  

We all know what was going on here.    We can read that the rule said "sharp" and we know that "sharp" is not curved and it is not a 45º bevel, it is sharp.  Granted, there is no definition of sharp in the GCR.  In part, that is the reason for the rule clarification. 

The CRB, in the shadow of the 2014 Runoffs, looked at the wording of the rule and fixed it.  Now we are where we are, and there was only one goal in mind.  That goal was to do what was best for the class in the long run.  

wheel

James York

James York

AKA Cajun Miata Man; Overdog Driver

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 898 posts
  • Region:Houston
  • Car Year:2003
  • Car Number:03

One point I don't quite follow.  If the rule was "clear", as shared by a few people here,.. sharp, no blending, etc, why the need for a rules clarification?  Those motors looked at at NOLA should have just been bounced by the compliance committee person and its done deal, over.  No appeal.

James York

sponsored by:
Stan's Auto Center, Lafayette LA

powered by:
East Street Racing, Memphis TN

2003 Spec Miata

Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

38bfast

38bfast

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,113 posts
To echo Sean we have had a lot of communication over this issue. We both agree that two different people can read the current rule today and come up with very distinct contradicting interpretations. Concluding that the rule needs further clarification. So that's the easy part of you will. Obviously defining a new rule with the least impact to the customer / racer is the chalange. that is now what we all have in front of us.

Just for clarification the SMAC did just not wake up one morning and say lets mess with a rule because we are board. This issue was brought to the SAMCs attention looking for clarification. The SMAC has spent considerable time reachering and debating this topic in effort to help and suport the CRB in their effort.
Ralph Provitz
V2 Motorsports

Tom Sager

Tom Sager

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,693 posts
  • Region:Central
  • Car Year:1996
  • Car Number:94

To echo Sean we have had a lot of communication over this issue. We both agree that two different people can read the current rule today and come up with very distinct contradicting interpretations. Concluding that the rule needs further clarification. So that's the easy part of you will. Obviously defining a new rule with the least impact to the customer / racer is the chalange. that is now what we all have in front of us.

Just for clarification the SMAC did just not wake up one morning and say lets mess with a rule because we are board. This issue was brought to the SAMCs attention looking for clarification. The SMAC has spent considerable time reachering and debating this topic in effort to help and suport the CRB in their effort.

After reading through the thread, this latest proposed clarification seems reasonable.  

Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+

Ron Alan

Ron Alan

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,732 posts
  • Car Year:1995

One point I don't quite follow.  If the rule was "clear", as shared by a few people here,.. sharp, no blending, etc, why the need for a rules clarification?  Those motors looked at at NOLA should have just been bounced by the compliance committee person and its done deal, over.  No appeal.

Hmmm...be a little dejavu then?(and there would be an appeal which would be denied) And then we would still end up right  here i believe?

Pro-active this time is a good thing i believe. 

Ron

RAmotorsports

Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

James York

James York

AKA Cajun Miata Man; Overdog Driver

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 898 posts
  • Region:Houston
  • Car Year:2003
  • Car Number:03

Hmmm...be a little dejavu then?(and there would be an appeal which would be denied) And then we would still end up right  here i believe?

Pro-active this time is a good thing i believe. 

I don't know Ron.  And maybe we would end up in the same spot.  

But I do find it a bit disheartening that intelligent people can each have, in there opinion as described here, two different opinions each on a rule they believe to be clear.  Each year lately I lose more and more interest in running SM and the SCCA because of the constant BS.

James York

sponsored by:
Stan's Auto Center, Lafayette LA