FTodaro

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,084 posts
  • Region:Great Lakes
  • Car Year:2001
  • Car Number:35

Ralph I hate to even respond to this thread but your example is compelling regarding the guy that re did his stuff at the beginning of this year who may now not be compliant with this proposed rule change,

My thought is, if there is an argument that the rule was legitimately subject to two different interpretations, and you want to clean up the rule fine, but fairness would dictate that you build in a pretty good sunset provision, or give plenty of time for compliance,  Because if the rule was ambiguous, the racer should not be punished for that, that is the clubs problem with the way the rule was written. 

In the legal world, ambiguity is construed against the drafter, meaning that the shortcomings of the rule should not work against the racers who were just trying to follow a ambiguous rule.

If there is going to be a rule clarification, then information needs to be communicated to the class about when it would become law and how much time people have to comply, that is what the debate should be about.

Now can we work some parity into this discussion :wacko:

Frank
TnT Racing
SCCA Ohio Valley Region

Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+ We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Donor - Made PayPal donation

wheel

wheel

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 800 posts
  • Region:KC
  • Car Year:1992
  • Car Number:20

The old compliance review section was based on sending in a request which went directly to a Court of Appeals, consisting of a group of Stewards.  The new proposed rule allows you to ask whether something you are doing (or want to do) is compliant with the GCR.  This question will be answered by technical folks and experts in the class in question, not by Stewards.  The fact is that this will only be used on very rare occasions. If a compliance review had been requested for this issue, the CRB would probably have suggested that the rule be clarified and that the fee be refunded to the person who asked for the review.  Because this rule is not now in place, the CRB reacted to a letter in the letter system, and asked the SMAC for their input.  In addition the CRB sought input from other experts in the class.  The result is the REC rule for 2016.

wheel

• Tom Hampton and 38bfast like this

Tom Hampton

Tom Hampton

Egregious Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,060 posts
  • Region:South west
  • Car Number:41

I thought it was obvious that this rule change hurts the 1.6 more than it does the other years.  It's clearly a VAAAASSSST SCCA (NB-fan club, SMAC, CRB, BoD) conspiracy to further relegate the 1.6 into obscurity. 

I've already taken my piddly little stupid popup headlights....and I'm going home. 

-tch
Build: www.tomhampton.info

video: vimeo.com/tomhampton

Support: X-Factor Racing

I didn't lose, I just got outspent!

Beta-Tester - Assisted us with beta testing the website. Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Caveman-kwebb99

Caveman-kwebb99

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,062 posts
  • Region:Great lakes
  • Car Year:2000
  • Car Number:99

I'm hoping I've not taken anything here out of context Kyle...

I'm now a contributor to SMAC.  While I have to respect the process of rule making I can't stand by and listen to constant hyperbole.  

1.  The touted performance advantage folks have been tossing around is utter bullshit.  To my knowledge it has not been tested by someone not connected to SM and oh won't ever be.  Why? Because any advantage would be lost in the correction factors of a chassis dyno or in the many many many friction points of the drivetrains of various cars that would have to be tested to get a large enough sample size to provide relevant data. MEANING: If you have a position to prove you can get a dyno to say what you want it to say.  Agree

2.  We are several years down the road where the radiuses/beveled/chamfered cuts have not been disputed via bygone review process or via a protest.  Intent of the rule may be disputable but is completely irrelevant this far removed from it's inception. Passed tech but never a protest!

3.  We just did this shit.  And now another pissing match between engine builders have yet again held the class hostage, well at least our wallets.  Who does this sort of change harm???   Everyone except the engine builders.  Now, those with radius'd cuts won't need to toss their heads but they need to have them re-cut and some of those haven't run a race in 2015 yet, but for next year they'll need to have them worked again.  Bullocks if you ask me.  And for what?  A disputed gain that is not proven is an advantage???  Someone remind me how many 90 degree cut heads have won RunOffs since this rule has been in place?  Oh yeah, ALL OF THEM!  I do not feel sorry if they have not run a race this year as I have not since I am still working on a legal engine thanks to scca/nasa and super group.  

4.  I call bullshit on your "anyone who is competitive"...  Rules should not be made for the pointy end of Majors fields.  Maybe Majors should be splintered off to go mess themselves up and not the whole class.  You and I both know full well the rules are for the pointy end except the dent in the door or quarter pannel rules.  Little to no tech has ever been done at a regional or a nasa race other then the podium of a majors or a nasa nats. so call bullshit all you want and till you put the nasa money where the mouth is you know you aint winnin that argument

5.  This is where I get frazzled.  While I don't think this rule change is necessary I have no problem with it ultimately.  Making the rules more spec is a good thing.  I feel the timing of this rule is poor and when it goes into effect is at minimum 12 months too soon.  Cleaning up the grey areas is something SMAC should be doing and the CRB should take their advice to heart.  And Nasa should be doing the same!  the grey areas are a huge comtributor to where races are won or lost at least at the major events.  Driving is still king but if you have two hpand two tq.  on everyone and are a normal p5 driver you can win against the very best in class period amen.  

see above

K. Webb
Powered by East Street Racing (Best engines in Spec Miata)

Driver coach, Spec Miata Prep shop, Spec Miata Setup

2016 Hard Charger award passing 12 cars runoffs 2016 Mid Ohio

2016 P3 RUNOFFS OVER 40 DIVISION LOL!

2015 First consolation prize Northern Conference Majors Title Pageant
2015 Winner Circus Cat Majors Road America

2015 Winner BlackHawk Majors crash fest

My Signature is still not as long as Danny boy's

Donor - Made PayPal donation Majors Winner - Chatterbox - Blah blah blah... Blah blah blah Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+

Tom Hampton

Tom Hampton

Egregious Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,060 posts
  • Region:South west
  • Car Number:41

Ok.  That makes sense.  If the new compliance review rules allows for a determination on PROPOSED work, then I understand. 

My read of what you posted was that it was only for completed (not proposed) modifications.

The old compliance review section was based on sending in a request which went directly to a Court of Appeals, consisting of a group of Stewards.  The new proposed rule allows you to ask whether something you are doing (or want to do) is compliant with the GCR.  This question will be answered by technical folks and experts in the class in question, not by Stewards.  The fact is that this will only be used on very rare occasions. If a compliance review had been requested for this issue, the CRB would probably have suggested that the rule be clarified and that the fee be refunded to the person who asked for the review.  Because this rule is not now in place, the CRB reacted to a letter in the letter system, and asked the SMAC for their input.  In addition the CRB sought input from other experts in the class.  The result is the REC rule for 2016.

wheel

-tch
Build: www.tomhampton.info

video: vimeo.com/tomhampton

Support: X-Factor Racing

I didn't lose, I just got outspent!

Beta-Tester - Assisted us with beta testing the website. Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

38bfast

38bfast

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,113 posts
  • Region:OVR
  • Car Year:1999
  • Car Number:38
Frank you are completely understand the issue before us all. Thank you for your objectivity. No joke serious.

If we indeed want all our poop the same color (all the same rad) yes I would have to agree that time would need to be allotted for people to comply. IMHO min of two years. That my HO not the voice of the SMAC.
Ralph Provitz
V2 Motorsports

Caveman-kwebb99

Caveman-kwebb99

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,062 posts
  • Region:Great lakes
  • Car Year:2000
  • Car Number:99

Kyle just to play delves advocate.

Lets say you do have a head with a larger blend and the rule would make you non compliant. Per the GCR you MUST change your equipment to become compliant. You have just spent a boat load of money changing your head out due to STR and etc rulings so you can become complaint. Your car has yet to hit track and now comes down a rule that you have to do it all over again. I know this is a argued point but for this example lets say the big rad is legal. Remember the big rad has never been found non compliant.  As I have understood the rule change does not take plac till 2016????

There is no option for him. Per the our rules comply or don't race. Yes I know people will run non compliant but given the situation they were compliant and spent a lot of money and time to be compliant and now they are not again.  sorry Ralph i feel this has been my option so far this year and I have not raced because I am not yet legal.

Pointy end guys will switch heads like they are disposable toilet paper. So there would be no impact to them. Mid pack guys or regional guys are much more frugal. from what I have seen front runner replace their heads at least once a season. Mid pack guys (are largest customer base) seem to be on a 2-3 year cycle on head maintenance. Back of the pack guys one time for the life of the car. Yes I am generalizing lots of exceptions to that.  What do they really risk by not changing their heads out till they want to?  will we be now tearing down heads in the regionals etc to enforce this new rewright?  Hell no we wont because it would kill the class

So just after he spent a bunch of time and money to be compliant (witch he did not want to spend in the first place) you ask him to do it again at the end of the season. see above
just for numbers sake to pull the head, send it out, get it remachined, get it back, all new gaskets and etc. The cost to have it done $1500 to $2000. 3 sets of tires. I can not imagine that this guy is a happy camper at this point.Nobody but front end or majors racers wil do this anyway

So lets assume 400 heads need to be redone X $2000 = $800,000.00. I don't know about you but thats not a small number to me. Above

Then you tell the guy that the item he has to change has little to no impact on his performance.  So tell him that its 15hp if that makes you feel better

Remember per our rules bring a compliant car or don't race. He has NO option. But he is told the class will be much better for it.  Again many are racing cars they know or dont know to be non compliant and nothing is ever done about it.

now the flip side.
A lager blend is spec. Everyone in compliant per the rules. Now the guy with the small rad has a CHOICE. He can leave his head alone because it is compliant or if he can't live with out the radius he can lay down the cash or maybe in the future when the at the opportune time arises he can make the change. He does not HAVE to scrap anything. He has a choice. I am sure a mid pack guy or regional guy would be more than happy to purchase that sharp cut head.  I dont feel I am at a disadvantage to the RAD or DAR or whatever we want to call it, but if you want rules more spec then make them more spec!!!!!!

Either way someone is not going to jumping up and down with joy.  I hate freaking rules you know this about me!  its a neccessary evil to keep Danny Steyn from selling more machines and spending all his money and selling his wife into slavery to run an F1 car in SM... laugh all you want you know he would!!!!! 

K. Webb