93 replies to this topic

dtfastbear

dtfastbear

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 297 posts
  • Region:NorCal
Hey Gang,

That was a mostly fantastic weekend! There was a little contact and some spins/offs that changed finishing orders that I know not everyone was happy about, but there was extremely little car damage that I saw. Nice work, drivers!

About the Sunday race start... For those of you who don't already know what happened, here's the skinny. The USTCC cars lined up first (they started last on Saturday) to do a standing start in front of the E30's. The E30's (and this was the first mistake) lined up just behind them. The plan was for one green flag to send JUST the USTCC cars, then a second flag to send the E30's. However, the E30's towards the back couldn't even SEE that there were USTCC cars in the front, so they started on the first green flag. They called an aborted start (red/yellow flags) and lined up again. AGAIN, the same thing happened! Another aborted start. The third time, NASA put a pace car sideways across the track near T15 to keep the E30's away from the USTCC start.

The combination of all these things led to the Spec Miatas starting right behind the E30's which led to a lot of mixing between the classes for nearly the whole race.

I heard lots of complaints from both SM drivers and E30 drivers about out-of-class racing. For the next event, I'd like to offer a better explanation of exactly what constitutes out-of-class racing and what is expected of the drivers. So, if you have video of clear examples of either an out-of-class car being very cooperative or being very uncooperative, please point me to them. Scott Neville, the E30 class Director, and I have already agreed that we need to improve the racing etiquette on-track.

All that being said, the racing was really, really good. I enjoyed watching the battles up front and throughout the field both days.

I hope everyone had fun!

Cheers,

Dean

Former driver

Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Rob Burgoon

Rob Burgoon

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,465 posts
  • Car Year:1995
  • Car Number:91
Dean I have some. I figure the leading car taking advantage of the 3/4 car width rule to force the passer to drop 2 would be a good example. Particularly on the exit of 9. I'll post when I get home and edit.
Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill - Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations!

dtfastbear

dtfastbear

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 297 posts
Yes - any video you have would be great. It was interesting that several E30's complained that Miatas were racing them... I tried to explain that WE STARTED BEHIND THEM, so when we catch them, we aren't racing THEM out of class as we try to get by, they are racing US out of class, by preventing us from getting by. That is, I think, what we need to make clear. It is the car that is caught that needs to make it easy for that car coming from behind to get by.

Cheers,

Dean

Former driver

Charlie Hayes

Charlie Hayes

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 513 posts
  • Region:West Coast
  • Car Year:1999
  • Car Number:22
Amen.
Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill - Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill

Johnny D

Johnny D

Veteran Member

• Moderators
  • 6,121 posts
  • Region:San Francisco
  • Car Number:88
Sat SM from Mylaps
http://www.mylaps.co...t.jsp?id=700765
Elliott Skeer
Tyler Vance
Jaime Florence
Rob Burgoon
Kyle Loustaunan
David Vodden
Dave Sparks
Charlie Hayes
Barry Hartzel
John Sause

Sat Enduro
TEAM Android Missed Class in E2 5 sec. a head <_<
Team Johnny D Racing
Team 2nd Chance Roadster
Team Gorman Motorsports
Team Gopher Guillotine
Team Gorman Motorsports
Team Who Won

Sun SM
Tyler Vance
Elliott Skeer
Team Evans
Kyle Loustaunan
Charlie Hayes
Jaime Florence
Rob Burgoon
Conner Ford
John Sause
Dennis Clark

Sun Enduro
TEAM Android
Team 2nd Chance Roadster
Team Gopher Guillotine
Team Johnny D Racing
Team Gorman Motorsports 42
Team Gorman Motorsports 41
Team Geri Amani
Team Momentary Laps
Team Who Won
J~
2011 NASA Western Endurance Racing Championship E3 Champ
We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Beta-Tester - Assisted us with beta testing the website. Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Novel Approach - When a paragraph simply won't do... Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill - Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+

dtfastbear

dtfastbear

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 297 posts
Hey gang,

I'd like to clear up some confusion around the compression testing that was done in impound after the Sunday race. One of the members of the tech crews was learning/experimenting with the whistler and was checking some of the cars. I know that there were some (astronomically) high readings they were getting as they were using it, but NO CARS WERE FOUND NON-COMPLIANT. I just want to make sure that everyone knows that the race results from Sunday stand and no engines were found to be high-compression or out of compression spec.

Cheers,

Dean

Former driver

Johnny D

Johnny D

Veteran Member

• Moderators
  • 6,121 posts
  • Region:San Francisco
  • Car Number:88
Hmmm, no "astronomically high readings" when they did mine after the enduro.
J~
2011 NASA Western Endurance Racing Championship E3 Champ
We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Beta-Tester - Assisted us with beta testing the website. Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Novel Approach - When a paragraph simply won't do... Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill - Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+

dtfastbear

dtfastbear

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 297 posts
There were no issues with the 1.8's tested, only the 1.6's.

Former driver

Rob Burgoon

Rob Burgoon

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,465 posts
Good for tech. Practice makes perfect, nothing wrong with some dress rehersals.
Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill - Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations!

Jaime Florence

Jaime Florence

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 115 posts
  • Car Year:1993
  • Car Number:96
What a great weekend! Thanks to all the So Cal guys for making the haul up here. It was really great racing and incredibly tight lap times with most of the front being within a tenth or two in practice and in qualifying. I thought the racing was very clean but it was an all out brawl. Unfortunately on Sunday Elliott and I committed to the same piece of real estate in T14 on the last lap and I discovered that my car doesn’t handle well in the grass… Luckily it’s a long drive from the checkered flag back to the paddock or I might have said some things that I shouldn’t have.

It was great that Craig Evans showed up on Sunday to take over for Randy who had a mechanical. I’m bummed to hear about an issue between some BMW and Barry Hartzel that will affect the season points. That just doesn’t seem fair. Maybe someone has some video footage that might show that Barry was not actually at fault? I don’t believe Barry has anything in his car that is electronic in any way.

I posted the video from Sunday in the My Videos area but here is another link You can see in the video, on the start that I was waiting (head back against the seat) to get a big push from Elliott but unfortunately our timing was off and the other line got a great start.

One other thing. Kudos to Kyle Loustaunan on his first NASA weekend. From what I saw he was super clean and very fast every time it counted.
We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill - Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill NASA Champs Winner - NASA Champs Winner Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Ron Alan

Ron Alan

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,732 posts
Very nice Jamie! Excellent/clean driving :D
The slower traffic either makes you or breaks you!! Kyle L got hosed and then shuffled for sure. Love the pick move on Vodden...then he got shuffled. To bad about the contact with Elliot...hope you guys worked it out.

So 2 NB cars take 1-2 both days in a NASA event...whats up with that?? :o ;) :P

Ron

RAmotorsports

Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Rob Burgoon

Rob Burgoon

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,465 posts

Very nice Jamie! Excellent/clean driving :D
The slower traffic either makes you or breaks you!! Kyle L got hosed and then shuffled for sure. Love the pick move on Vodden...then he got shuffled. To bad about the contact with Elliot...hope you guys worked it out.

So 2 NB cars take 1-2 both days in a NASA event...whats up with that?? :o ;) :P

Sorry, I was hoping to put a 1.8 up there on Sunday, but my brakes lost interest. Apologies to anyone that was behind me when I was pumping my pedal back up during qualy and the race.

Nice video Jamie! Too bad about the finish. Looked like you left Elliot plenty of room, maybe he bit off more than he could chew?

Elliott Skeer

Elliott Skeer

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 81 posts
  • Region:Nor/So Cal
  • Car Number:17

Sorry, I was hoping to put a 1.8 up there on Sunday, but my brakes lost interest. Apologies to anyone that was behind me when I was pumping my pedal back up during qualy and the race.

Nice video Jamie! Too bad about the finish. Looked like you left Elliot plenty of room, maybe he bit off more than he could chew?

haha easy there Rob, locked the rears on the dirty part of the track, tried saving it while keeping off of Jamie...didnt really work out :( BUT damage was very low on my car and even lower on Jamie's. Ya I think that the karting braking style doesnt really work too well in these. Sorry bout that Jamie, my fault.

Oh, I also just made this to joke with Charlie, he does not have a "1.7" like the compression test said, just a joke from now on between us haha

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XnzD1QG7Wg8
"Punk Ass Kid" -Track HQ's top SM contributor.
Working to call myself a GT driver.
Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations!

Jaime Florence

Jaime Florence

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 115 posts

Yeah, he definitely lost it under braking. I tried to get him into a low grip situation over to the right, but still leave him enough room at the apex in case he was able to pull it off. I thought there was a good chance we might trade some paint but I didn't expect my car to be quite as upset as it ended up being (the impact that big). I figure that I wouldn't have been in that situation if I hadn't blown T11. Elliott was a huge help, pushing me down the straights a bunch during the race and we talked about it afterwards and decided it was just a racing incident. Although one could say I got punted bigger then sh&@...that's what I told my wife anyway.
We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill - Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill NASA Champs Winner - NASA Champs Winner Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Jaime Florence

Jaime Florence

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 115 posts
[quote name='SkeerRacing' timestamp='1313478933' post='11856']
haha easy there Rob, locked the rears on the dirty part of the track, tried saving it while keeping off of Jamie...didnt really work out :( BUT damage was very low on my car and even lower on Jamie's. Ya I think that the karting braking style doesnt really work too well in these. Sorry bout that Jamie, my fault.

Oh, I also just made this to joke with Charlie, he does not have a "1.7" like the compression test said, just a joke from now on between us haha

Now that was great!

Ron Alan

Ron Alan

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,732 posts
Jamie,

Come out to Infineon on Labor day! Should be a good crowd with all the top current SCCA drivers there! Will be no boxes in your way, only chick cars :D

Ron

RAmotorsports

Rob Burgoon

Rob Burgoon

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,465 posts
That was a good drift, finishing it without crossing the track is a good drift in my book.

Rob Burgoon

Rob Burgoon

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,465 posts
Also, I'll be at infineon on labor day. With a new master cylinder.

Charlie Hayes

Charlie Hayes

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 513 posts
  • Car Number:22

That was a good drift, finishing it without crossing the track is a good drift in my book.

Yeah I tried my hardest for that and at least I succeeded in it.

I may give the wednesday night drift a shot at Infineon they do now a days. Everyone has v8 this, big turbo that, I will just handle business in my high compression "spec" miata. ;)
Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill - Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill

Ron Alan

Ron Alan

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,732 posts

Yeah I tried my hardest for that and at least I succeeded in it.

I may give the wednesday night drift a shot at Infineon they do now a days. Everyone has v8 this, big turbo that, I will just handle business in my high compression "spec" miata. ;)

Put on 4 of the may-pop spare tires and have a blast!! I will donate 2 :D

Ron

RAmotorsports

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users