Keith Novak

Steadily Improving Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,128 posts
  • Region:Northwest/Oregon
  • Car Year:1995
  • Car Number:88

I'd buy one to look like Vettel, with my last buck. Without one I look more like Jabba the Hutt.

More like a happy Buddha...sitting calmly in a lawn chair uttering sage wisdom like, "I'd rather put on dry tires in the dry, than put on rain tires in the rain." while everyone changing tires scurries around the paddock. :D
Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations!

Tom Sager

Tom Sager

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,693 posts
  • Region:Central
  • Car Year:1996
  • Car Number:94
As someone who put a HANS device to very good use back in June, I have to say I'm damn glad I wear one. While it's expensive and uncomfortable, it really works. I certainly understand that it raises the cost to participate and it infringes on one's right to choose, but I think the club has an obligation and a desire (waiver or not) of continuous improvement in all areas of their operation, including safety. The cost of ownership for a HANS or similar device is pretty low when you ammortize it over several years and realize that it has decent resale value.
Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+

Ernie Jr.

Ernie Jr.

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 211 posts
  • Region:Florida
  • Car Year:2012
  • Car Number:98
I have used a Hans since the begining (HPDE 1) I value my life and believe it is worth it in the long run. My dad was in a racing crash and thankfully had a Hans on and made it with no injury. (He was racing his C6 Z06 racecar and hit the wall in the sweeper in Sebring before turn 7 at 150 mph.)

Ernie Francis Jr.
www.ErnieFrancisJrRacing.com
Pirelli World Challenge TCB/GTS Driver

We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations!

Jeff Wasilko

Jeff Wasilko

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 271 posts
  • Region:NER
  • Car Year:1995
  • Car Number:08

BTW, speaking of necks, the only time I tried a HANS it just about cut my head off -- I'm not sure I could even drive with one, it constricts so much. I really do have a big neck.

As someone else suggested, try a 30deg model. It's useful for the larger necked. Also helpful if your'e a bit barrel chested...

Killian

Killian

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 54 posts
  • Region:NASA Great Lakes
  • Car Year:2000
  • Car Number:707

I have used a Hans since the begining (HPDE 1) I value my life and believe it is worth it in the long run. My dad was in a racing crash and thankfully had a Hans on and made it with no injury. (He was racing his C6 Z06 racecar and hit the wall in the sweeper in Sebring before turn 7 at 150 mph.)

Yep, same here. I run with NASA and have a DefNder I've used from HPDE1 to HPDE4. It's not required for HPDE, but I’ve never read of any HPDE fires, but have known people (and read of more) who have sustained H&N injuries from on track incidents. My family and I bought my Dad one for Christmas this past year. Very few things are as reassuring as sitting in the paddock before going out on track, and lightly tugging on those tethers, knowing that they may save your ass in an accident.

http://www.defnderne....com/index.html

Danny Steyn

Danny Steyn

Zulu rain warrior

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,439 posts
  • Region:FL
  • Car Year:1999
  • Car Number:39

Very few things are as reassuring as sitting in the paddock before going out on track, and lightly tugging on those tethers, knowing that they may save your ass in an accident.

If saves your ass, you're putting it on wrong!

Danny
Danny Steyn Racing | DSR YouTube Channel
Danny Steyn Photography | Adept Studios | Ocean MachineryOPM AutosportsRossini Racing Engines | G-Loc Brakes | 

2 x SCCA Runoffs Champ | 1 x NASA National Champ | 6 x June Sprints Champ | 10 x ARRC Champ

1 x SCCA Super Sweep | 2 x Triple Crown | 4 x Hoosier Super Tour Points Champ | 6 x Majors Points Champ | 5 x SEDiv Driver of the Year

June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata ARRC Champion - Won the ARRC Race in a Spec Miata We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver NASA Champs Winner - NASA Champs Winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner ARRC Champion - Won the ARRC Race in a Spec Miata ARRC Champion - Won the ARRC Race in a Spec Miata Majors Winner - BFG Supertour Winner -

wreckerboy

wreckerboy

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 155 posts
  • Region:NJ
  • Car Year:1990
  • Car Number:53
This could put me on the "used to go racing list" as well. Not because of the cost, but because of the design. Simply put, I believe that the HANS is an inferior design to another device that is out there (which I have been wearing for five years and have "tested" once). I resent like hell the idea that the SCCA is going to legislate me into wearing a device that compromises my safety. I have been looking at the alternatives to the HANS and am not impressed with what I see. Each one of them is going to require me to purchase a winged seat because of their lessened ability in an offset impact that will reduce my egress ability from the car.

Thanks, SCCA.

Rob Myles | "I didn't lose, I got out-painted!"
Hero To The Momentum Challenged
WDCR SSM #30

Bench Racer

Bench Racer

Different strokes for different folks : )

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,508 posts
  • Region:Milwaukee
  • Car Number:14
Because of the lack of lateral load reduction for the HANS & maybe other H&N restraint devices a halo seat will be IMHO the next mandatory item. :o

Before jumping on my case ask your selves why F1, Indy Car & NASCAR have mandatory lateral support devices along with the mandatory HANS. :huh:

Then ask your self, why didn't the SCCA make both items mandatory at one time. How will those halo seats fit in your Spec Miata? Wouldn't fit in mine.
Broken record - You are starting to sound like a broken record. Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

dmathias

dmathias

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 512 posts
  • Region:GreatLakes
  • Car Year:1991
I've seen alot of SMs with halo seats.
The enemy of good is better.
Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other

Steve D

Steve D

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 169 posts
  • Region:Atlanta
  • Car Number:30

I've seen alot of SMs with halo seats.

I own one.

Step 1: Survive the impact without injury.
Step 2: Exit the vehicle.

I believe a HANS and a halo are important in making Step 1 a reality. Having removed the wing window on the driver's side, I can climb out past the halo seat with the door closed. I guess there are always side nets for those who need a bigger opening.

I support the requirement for SFI/FIA head & neck restraint. There are several to choose from. If there are rapacious profits to be made, invent one that works, get it certified, produce it, market it, defend it against lawsuits... Then reap the massive (?) profits from the sales of a durable niche product that your customers will replace, ummm, if and only when it has served to save their necks. :blink:

Steve DeVinney
Retired mediocre driver

Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

dmathias

dmathias

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 512 posts
He blinded me with economics!

Den

Den

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 48 posts
  • Region:OVR
  • Car Number:37
Just curious, has the SCCA has banned jacket and pants type driving suits yet?

AJ Roderick

AJ Roderick

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 348 posts
  • Region:Neohio
  • Car Number:56

Just curious, has the SCCA has banned jacket and pants type driving suits yet?

no
We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Bench Racer

Bench Racer

Different strokes for different folks : )

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,508 posts
  • Region:Milwaukee
  • Car Number:14

invent one that works, get it certified, produce it, market it, defend it against lawsuits... Then reap the massive (?) profits from the sales of a durable niche product that your customers will replace, ummm, if and only when it has served to save their necks. :blink:

Gee, that is exactly what the people at DeFnder did. :o
Broken record - You are starting to sound like a broken record. Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Jerry Cabe

Jerry Cabe

• SMembers
  • PipPipPip
  • 272 posts
  • Region:Cincy Region SCCA
  • Car Number:10 SM
Several years ago while doing some crash testing research for yachts, I came across the industry crash test results for the Miata. In a 35 MPH frontal crash, the neck force along the spine was something like 70% of what it would take to cause serious neck injury. After studying the data, realizing I have a few extra pounds of helmet that would be increasing the load on my neck, and thinking that I could easily be in a crash at 70+ MPH (no comments required Denny), I decided a HANS was more important than a new set of tires. I've never regreted getting the extra protection. Never needed it, and I hope it stays that way. I'm sure the same type of discussion took place when roll cages, harnesses, fire systems, etc. were mandated for our safety.

I would not be suprised if more than half the cost of the HANS device is there for liability protection. I'm sure that anytime someone gets injured while wearing the H&N restraint, there is going to be a big lawsuit, no matter what the circumstances of the incident were.

With the Sport model being in the $600 range, it should be affordable to almost anyone. Ours is not a cheap hobby.

BTW, I got my old belts rewebbed/recertified for $75. I use these on the passenger side for PDX events.

Jerry Cabe
2014 Cincy Region Race Chair

"Just driving SM until the F1 is ready - Well the F-1 car is ready, but I'm not."

Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+ Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Juan Pineda

Juan Pineda

You can sleep in your car, but you can't race your house.

• SMembers
  • PipPipPip
  • 343 posts
  • Region:SFR
  • Car Year:1992
  • Car Number:34
NASA mandates side impact protection in addition to HANS. SCCA Pro also. That has been the the state of the art for several years now.

I run a center net in addition to HANS.

-Juan

CheckerLap.com -- Your race results!

We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Mark McCallister

Mark McCallister

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 164 posts
  • Region:Central Florida
  • Car Number:40
There is no reason anyone should not race because of the head restraint requirement. The HANS device is an imminently shareable item. I have shared one at the track, including swapping during enduro pitstops, with no problem. Just find someone in another run group and borrow theirs in exchange for a few beers, until you get around to getting your own. I sold my old post anchors when I changed anchor types for $10 on GRM's classifieds, no doubt to someone doing exactly that. Anything you can do to keep various body parts headed in the same direction during an "unintended de/acceleration episode" is a good thing. I'd be happy to loan mine out to someone who needs to borrow one at the track in another run group, just PM me or track me down.

-Mark
Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

NV Racer

NV Racer

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 63 posts
  • Region:San Francisco
  • Car Number:70
I may or may not make it out in 2012. I corded my last set of RA-1's in April So I decided not to run until the new spec tire is announced if it's Ra-1's (not likely) I'll buy a set and run once more this season to maintain my National license. But next season if the tires change I will need new tires, a new seat because my existing seat will not work with the Hans and a Hans Device. Unless the economy improves next year (not Likely) I will probably save my racing money for 2013 and spend my 2012 money on a new seat and Hans.

Dennis

dstevens

dstevens

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,404 posts
  • Region:LVR

Before jumping on my case ask your selves why F1, Indy Car & NASCAR have mandatory lateral support devices along with the mandatory HANS. :huh:

The NASCAR rule book is funny that way. For the safety items they "recommend" and the competitor "should" have devices meeting whatever spec they cite. Then all kinds of disclaimers about how it's the racer's responsibility to be safe. There are now four head and neck they accept, HANS, HANS Sport and Sport II and R3 Hybrid. While it says you "should" have one, if you show up without one you won't race. Same way with the seat. Anything Division III and up (late model) "should" have a 39.1 seat and headrest. Show up without one though, you won't race. Must be some sort of liability thing because when it comes to rules regarding the car, the terms used are "shall", "mandatory" and "must".

dmathias

dmathias

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 512 posts
Jerry, I didn't know you crashed yachts for a living!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users