Johnny D

Johnny D

Veteran Member

• Moderators
  • 6,121 posts
  • Region:San Francisco
  • Car Year:1999
  • Car Number:88

Jim Drago, are you the moderator for this section of the site?

Got a question. What are/is the current record for pages generated in oh lets say a week of a new subject post? This one shows no sign of winding down any time soon.

Just curious!

Go back to 99 RP NASA rule change or someothers like that. If I recall 15+ pages, not sure there's a limit.
IMO,
J~
2011 NASA Western Endurance Racing Championship E3 Champ
We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Beta-Tester - Assisted us with beta testing the website. Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Novel Approach - When a paragraph simply won't do... Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill - Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+

James York

James York

AKA Cajun Miata Man; Overdog Driver

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 898 posts
  • Region:Houston
  • Car Year:2003
  • Car Number:03

FYI, the R6 and SM6 are the same tire marked different and with different cost of course (confirmed by Hoosier). If you are just testing, the results would be the same from both tires.

I know that. Notice I said "marked SM6" tire. Hence not legal for SCCA in SM.

But if someone wants to pay tirerack prices to test the tires markd R6, go for it.

James York

sponsored by:
Stan's Auto Center, Lafayette LA

powered by:
East Street Racing, Memphis TN

2003 Spec Miata

Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

James York

James York

AKA Cajun Miata Man; Overdog Driver

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 898 posts
  • Region:Houston
  • Car Year:2003
  • Car Number:03

Jim Drago, are you the moderator for this section of the site?

Got a question. What are/is the current record for pages generated in oh lets say a week of a new subject post? This one shows no sign of winding down any time soon.

Just curious!

The big cheese moderates every section of the site. He is the boss man now.

James York

sponsored by:
Stan's Auto Center, Lafayette LA

powered by:
East Street Racing, Memphis TN

2003 Spec Miata

Jim Drago

Jim Drago

East Street Racing / 2 Time National Champion

• Administrators
  • 6,566 posts
  • Region:Mid South
  • Car Year:2005
  • Car Number:2
Den
I have no idea. :)

If shaved h20 tire is fastest, that's what you should run. Make sure there is no evidence of shave marks as that is not legal. :unsure:

It will be nice around April when all these questions are answered and all are resting easy :)

East Street Auto Parts
Jim@Eaststreet.com
800 700 9080

NASA Champs Winner - NASA Champs Winner Hoosier Super Tour points Champion - Hoosier Super Tour points Champion ARRC Champion - Won the ARRC Race in a Spec Miata Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata BFG Supertour Winner - Majors Winner - Circuit of the Americas Winner - We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner SCCA National Champion - Won SCCA Runoffs at Road America SCCA National Champion - Won SCCA Runoffs at Road America

Jim Boemler

Jim Boemler

Veteran Member

• Moderators
  • 852 posts
  • Region:NWR
  • Car Year:1992
  • Car Number:30

Make sure there is no evidence of shave marks as that is not legal. :unsure:

Is tire shaving really to be illegal? That should be interesting...

Todd Green

Todd Green

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 569 posts
  • Region:Utah
  • Car Year:1990
  • Car Number:60

Make sure there is no evidence of shave marks as that is not legal. :unsure:

Is not legal, or will not be legal next year due to a rules change? Appears to be legal now, no?

Tires shall be 124 (“U”) mph rated or better unless otherwise specified
or controlled. In the Improved Touring, Super Touring, American Sedan, Showroom
Stock, Spec Miata and Touring categories, only DOT approved tires are
permitted. Racing, recapped, or re-grooved tires are not allowed. Tire size
is unrestricted unless otherwise stated. The only modifications allowed to
tires are having treads “shaved”
or “trued.”

NASA Utah SM Director

We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Donor - Made PayPal donation Endurance race winner - Any endurance race wins Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata

Keith Novak

Keith Novak

Steadily Improving Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,128 posts
  • Region:Northwest/Oregon
  • Car Year:1995
I don't think shaving should be illegal if tire economics for the average guy is the rationale.

I guessed wrong trying to catch everyone out in drys when the rain came, tried to keep up on my wets and found they really don't handle as well. I drove out of the tire wall on sort of lumpy slightly flatspotted wets. Square parts aside, they still don't look like they'd make nearly as good a rain tire after running them hard on a dry track.

If shaving is illegal, I'd be thinking about buying a whole new set of wets. With shaving legal, $60 and they still have good life left.

I filled out the survey with economics for the people who don't care about contingency money in mind in every question. While I realize these sorts of things can sometimes be exploited by people willing to outspend everyone, I'm still cool with the races against the people who don't, or do but my driving matches their spending.
Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations!

William Keeling

William Keeling

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 277 posts
  • Region:Houston Region
  • Car Number:11
even if the rule says shaving is illegal it is and will be tech shed legal

William Keeling

Danny Steyn

Danny Steyn

Zulu rain warrior

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,439 posts
  • Region:FL
  • Car Number:39
Here’s the Full Shiznit on HOOSIERS

I and several other South East SM drivers have run Hoosiers for many years as we have the Pro-IT series, some regional chapters and certain races all that have had an open tire policy over the years. So here is what you can expect

• You will be WAY FASTER on Hoosiers at certain tracks than you were on RA-1’s
  • You will be a WAY SLOWER on Hoosiers at certain tracks than you were on RA-1’s
  • Break in Procedure is no different to what we do on RA-1’s. Go out on first session and put some time in without sliding or graining the tires. Put them aside for later. Later could be the next session or the next day or the next race. Depends on what you have ready to go for the next session
  • The Hoosiers fall off rapidly when over driven, just like the RA-1’s
  • You will need extra clearance under the fenders as the tire profile is different. Those that run on the bump stops will find out quickly, especially in highly compressive corners
  • Those corners where you wanted to be flat, but just had to breathe it a little, will now be flat. (until you are in the wall)
  • You need to drive the Hoosiers differently to the RA-1’s. A few sessions will reveal all.
  • If you are getting the most out of your Hoosiers, you will re-examine your brake compound choices

IMO the Hoosier is a better race tire, and will reward the aggressive racer more than the mild mannered racer. I really like the RA-1, really enjoyed the R888, and I really like the Hoosier. If I had unlimited budget I would love an open tire rule so that I could bring the fastest tire for the track, but that gets real old real fast.

But I am really thrilled about the Hoosier being named as our tire for 2012. From what I have seen over the past 3 years racing in SCCA, they are a class act and offer way more support at the tracks. I am also thrilled to be done with the tire shaving.

Danny
Danny Steyn Racing | DSR YouTube Channel
Danny Steyn Photography | Adept Studios | Ocean MachineryOPM AutosportsRossini Racing Engines | G-Loc Brakes | 

2 x SCCA Runoffs Champ | 1 x NASA National Champ | 6 x June Sprints Champ | 10 x ARRC Champ

1 x SCCA Super Sweep | 2 x Triple Crown | 4 x Hoosier Super Tour Points Champ | 6 x Majors Points Champ | 5 x SEDiv Driver of the Year

June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata ARRC Champion - Won the ARRC Race in a Spec Miata We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver NASA Champs Winner - NASA Champs Winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner ARRC Champion - Won the ARRC Race in a Spec Miata ARRC Champion - Won the ARRC Race in a Spec Miata Majors Winner - BFG Supertour Winner -

Rob Burgoon

Rob Burgoon

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,465 posts
  • Car Number:91
Danny, amen on no more shaving.

What direction did you find yourself going with brake pads? Better modulation? Higher torque? And why?
Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill - Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations!

Jim Boemler

Jim Boemler

Veteran Member

• Moderators
  • 852 posts
  • Region:NWR
  • Car Number:30
Your view suggests that the fields will spread out in terms of finish positions, Danny -- just the opposite from what Jim predicted. Is there any actual evidence to be had either way?

Alex Bolanos

Alex Bolanos

The Cuban Missile

• SMembers
  • PipPipPip
  • 355 posts
  • Car Number:57

Here’s the Full Shiznit on HOOSIERS...

Great post, spot on with my experience on them as well except I've never been "MUCH" slower on the Hoosier anywhere (usually much faster). The largest difference is driving style and braking points. I'll be on a set of them at Mid Ohio next week in PTE, guess I'll find out how they fare against new and old RA-1s.

Testing testing testing ;)

Alex Bolanos - #57 
Sponsored by Autotechnik, Momo USA, Apex Alignment, and Amazon.com

Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Majors Winner - We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! NASA Champs Winner - NASA Champs Winner

Motor City Hamilton

Motor City Hamilton

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 119 posts
  • Region:Detroit
  • Car Year:1994
  • Car Number:51
A local Hoosier dealer sold me a set of SM6 at next year's price. $737.76 tires, shipping, mounting and balancing.

I still haven't seen a Toyo dealer at the track.

Randy Thieme

Randy Thieme

• SMembers
  • PipPipPip
  • 277 posts
  • Region:Oregon
  • Car Year:1993

A local Hoosier dealer sold me a set of SM6 at next year's price. $737.76 tires, shipping, mounting and balancing.

I still haven't seen a Toyo dealer at the track.

Out of curiosity I looked at the R6 which is supposed to be the same tire. Tire Rack wants $221 each or $884 for 4 not including mount & balance.

TireRack
Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+ Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Motor City Hamilton

Motor City Hamilton

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 119 posts
  • Region:Detroit
  • Car Year:1994

Out of curiosity I looked at the R6 which is supposed to be the same tire. Tire Rack wants $221 each or $884 for 4 not including mount & balance.

TireRack

I paid just over $1,000 for a set of A6 when you add in shipping, mounting and balancing. The SM6 is the best deal.

Jim Drago

Jim Drago

East Street Racing / 2 Time National Champion

• Administrators
  • 6,566 posts
  • Region:Mid South
  • Car Year:2005
  • Car Number:2

Your view suggests that the fields will spread out in terms of finish positions, Danny -- just the opposite from what Jim predicted. Is there any actual evidence to be had either way?

JB
I didn't get that from Danny's post? Maybe he will clarify. Where he said if you were a slight lift, you are now flat on the Hoosiers, That is similar to what I implied in my opinion. I think there are many corners the "fast" guys ARE flat in, the same corners for mid pack and back may be slight lifts.(This is while the front runner is probably going faster at entry). This specific advantage will be nullified by the Hoosier as it will give the guys doing these light lift complete confidence to hold the pedal firmly to he floor looking for a few more HP. I have seen this time and time again. Corners that would scare the hell out of me on Toyos are a non factor with Hoosiers. That will bring the fields closer together and provide better racing through out the field. That is my opinion and I am sticking to it :)

East Street Auto Parts
Jim@Eaststreet.com
800 700 9080

NASA Champs Winner - NASA Champs Winner Hoosier Super Tour points Champion - Hoosier Super Tour points Champion ARRC Champion - Won the ARRC Race in a Spec Miata Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata BFG Supertour Winner - Majors Winner - Circuit of the Americas Winner - We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner SCCA National Champion - Won SCCA Runoffs at Road America SCCA National Champion - Won SCCA Runoffs at Road America

Rob Burgoon

Rob Burgoon

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,465 posts
  • Car Number:91
Jim, just to be a pain in the ass, won't the greater corner speeds just turn different corners into the "hairy" ones? :D
Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill - Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations!

Danny Steyn

Danny Steyn

Zulu rain warrior

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,439 posts
  • Car Number:39
Jim, JB, et all

my post was not supposed to be definitive! Yes it was intentionally cryptic, but it was also supposed to illuminate some of the differences without giving the whole game away. Alex Bolanos said it best......testing, testing testing.
That's what this sport is all about. Finding what suits you best.

Unfortunately so much of this discussion so far is conjecture, and the only thing that counts at all is what it feels like through the taut skin of your butt as you haul the mail through the corner, closing your eyes and praying you are not going to wad it up, and if you are lucky, just kissing the wall on the exit.

Try the Hoosiers on for size, then lets start comparing notes. Every driver will come away with a different feel, a different setting and a different experience. Back to testing, testing, testing.

Danny
Danny Steyn Racing | DSR YouTube Channel
Danny Steyn Photography | Adept Studios | Ocean MachineryOPM AutosportsRossini Racing Engines | G-Loc Brakes | 

2 x SCCA Runoffs Champ | 1 x NASA National Champ | 6 x June Sprints Champ | 10 x ARRC Champ

1 x SCCA Super Sweep | 2 x Triple Crown | 4 x Hoosier Super Tour Points Champ | 6 x Majors Points Champ | 5 x SEDiv Driver of the Year

June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata ARRC Champion - Won the ARRC Race in a Spec Miata We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver NASA Champs Winner - NASA Champs Winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner ARRC Champion - Won the ARRC Race in a Spec Miata ARRC Champion - Won the ARRC Race in a Spec Miata Majors Winner - BFG Supertour Winner -

dmathias

dmathias

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 512 posts
  • Region:GreatLakes
  • Car Year:1991

taut skin of your butt

That leaves me out. :blink:
The enemy of good is better.
Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other

wheel

wheel

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 800 posts
  • Region:KC
  • Car Number:20
Rob's pain in the ass is caused by taught skin.

wheel

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users