Johnny D

Johnny D

Veteran Member

• Moderators
  • 6,121 posts
  • Region:San Francisco
  • Car Year:1999
  • Car Number:88
Should SCCA offer a 10min tire scrub session?

Maybe warm up the track for Morning Practice Session.
J~
2011 NASA Western Endurance Racing Championship E3 Champ
We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Beta-Tester - Assisted us with beta testing the website. Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Novel Approach - When a paragraph simply won't do... Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill - Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+

dmathias

dmathias

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 512 posts
  • Region:GreatLakes
  • Car Year:1991
East/West thing? Are you serious? Hardly anyone in the GreatLakes runs Nationals lately. :P

What, does Mid-Ohio have special asphalt - is the pavement in Ohio somehow different than the rest of the free world? ;)

I live in a rural area - I wonder if I could scrub-in tires on the county roads without killing myself/someone else, or incurring the wrath of the sherif. :o
The enemy of good is better.
Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other

dmathias

dmathias

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 512 posts
  • Region:GreatLakes
  • Car Year:1991

What do the other Hoosier-shod classes do?
The enemy of good is better.
Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other

Johnny D

Johnny D

Veteran Member

• Moderators
  • 6,121 posts
All tires, all classes. I got some Hankooks. :D
Maybe a sign up sheet someplace.
If nobody signs up after a while, they don't have it that day.

If everyone is running at the beginning "SOOOO SLOW" it shouldn't be a problem then.
J~
We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Beta-Tester - Assisted us with beta testing the website. Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Novel Approach - When a paragraph simply won't do... Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill - Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+

James York

James York

AKA Cajun Miata Man; Overdog Driver

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 898 posts
  • Region:Houston
  • Car Year:2003
  • Car Number:03

Maybe warm up the track for Morning Practice Session.
J~

No way. More time groups are on/off just waste time.

A couple of options:

1) Cycle tires on a test day. Note tire cycling could be shared with one entry and multiple drivers tires. Find someone you trust and let them cycle your tires if you can't or don't want to. I have done this for people before when they can't make it to the track.

2) Cycle tires in another run group. Might be careful with this not to draw the wrath of fellow competitors by getting in the way of their qualifying flyer. Using track awareness it's possible.

James York

sponsored by:
Stan's Auto Center, Lafayette LA

powered by:
East Street Racing, Memphis TN

2003 Spec Miata

Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Johnny D

Johnny D

Veteran Member

• Moderators
  • 6,121 posts
Yep.
J~

Ya, I'm thinking 6~8 min warm up on whatever new tire, NASCAR pit stop and go back out on what tires I'm going to Qual on, in whatever time I have left to get to temp and then set.

Even easier if you're only breaking in one set and running to classes.
J~

I didn't know this process and think some others didn't either.
I'm going to do it but I'm not running a new set for every race so I'll be done for a while.
I don't have any crew so it a PITA but I'm not doing a track day so I gotta do what I gotta do.
It will save me money in the long run I'll do it.

Unless SCCA lets us run in another run group, knowing that we're going to come off track after a few laps,
Pretty please SCCA :D

It's sad that the guy on a budget that only has one set, not knowing this, maybe screwing them up and have s shorter tire life because he has to use them next.
J~

And we get the Bozo that goes off and we get a FCC.
There's always newbies, maybe they will feel good about passing us. :D
Your call, Track day, Tirerack, or use them up faster.
J~

Sphinx

Sphinx

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 651 posts
  • Region:ATL
Years ago, when I crewed for a national champion, we did it this way. Saturday: 1st Qualifier on last week's tires. 2nd Qualifier on stickers. Sunday: race on the stickers that have been sitting overnight.

This poses a problem where you qualify and race on the same day and/or the 2nd qualifier is actually a race.

Jim Boemler

Jim Boemler

Veteran Member

• Moderators
  • 852 posts
  • Region:NWR
  • Car Year:1992
  • Car Number:30

A couple of options:

1) Cycle tires on a test day. Note tire cycling could be shared with one entry and multiple drivers tires. Find someone you trust and let them cycle your tires if you can't or don't want to. I have done this for people before when they can't make it to the track.

2) Cycle tires in another run group. Might be careful with this not to draw the wrath of fellow competitors by getting in the way of their qualifying flyer. Using track awareness it's possible.

Option 1 could have a serious effect on overall tire cost. Out here at least, virtually no one takes a test day unless they're doing real serious testing -- it's just too expensive. You might be able to do it once in a while, but not on a regular basis.

Option 2 isn't going to be tolerated by the Club. The other group paid for their track time, and they're not going to allow others to share it without paying for it. We'd scream if another group tried it on our time, and so will they.

AJ Roderick

AJ Roderick

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 348 posts
  • Region:Neohio
  • Car Number:56

What, does Mid-Ohio have special asphalt - is the pavement in Ohio somehow different than the rest of the free world? ;)

yes. yes it is.
We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Zauskycop

Zauskycop

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 250 posts
  • Region:Chicago
  • Car Number:45
Do what autocrossers have been doing for years.

A. Find a local Miata friend who will borrow you his car that is street legal (MR2's work too. Hondas also, but I prefer RWD...)
B. Take said vehicle to a large parking lot with Hoosiers on
C. 8 circles slow one way, 8 the other...pick up speed and do 8 more each way...repeat one more time and feel tires. If HOT, you are done. Or else repeat one more time.
D. Return home with beer for your friend.
Tracy Ramsey
45 SM
Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

James York

James York

AKA Cajun Miata Man; Overdog Driver

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 898 posts
  • Region:Houston
  • Car Year:2003
  • Car Number:03

Option 1 could have a serious effect on overall tire cost. Out here at least, virtually no one takes a test day unless they're doing real serious testing -- it's just too expensive. You might be able to do it once in a while, but not on a regular basis.

Option 2 isn't going to be tolerated by the Club. The other group paid for their track time, and they're not going to allow others to share it without paying for it. We'd scream if another group tried it on our time, and so will they.

Ok Mr. Negative, are you always looking for the bad in everything?.......

I don't know what test days run out west, but I have paid $150 to $400 depending on the venue. Split that up between the drivers and maybe it's $50 to $100 per person.

Regarding option two, I didn't say run it for free. The expectation is that you would PAY to enter that group. We have done that to get more test time too.

Nobody said racing/testing etc was FREE or CHEAP. I was just suggesting some maybe more costs effective solutions for folks to consider.

Since this is the thread about National specing Hoosier tires, nobody's got a choice if they wish to run. You can cycle them or not, but if you run SM Nationals, you will run a Hoosier on 1/1/12 regardless. Personally, I'll probably hit up a track day (or test day before some regional) and cycle a few sets for next year.

James York

sponsored by:
Stan's Auto Center, Lafayette LA