Photo

New tire rule What is SFR's plan for Regionals?

• Please log in to reply
74 replies to this topic

NV Racer

NV Racer

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 63 posts
  • Region:San Francisco
  • Car Year:1990
  • Car Number:70

Dennis,

Not only will NASA issue a license to any current SCCA license holders, they also have an explicit consideration to accept an SCCA annual tech/logbook. Try to get THAT reciprocation from SCCA! ;-)

Dean

The logbook is something I was unaware of I will give NASA credit for that one. I know NASA will give me a License if I pay for it right? I may be mistaken but when SCCA says it will except NASA licenses do they require you purchase one also? I think they do require a membership.

Dennis

Ron Alan

Ron Alan

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,732 posts
  • Car Year:1995
Like a dummy I(and my driver) missed the meeting today at the track with entrants and SCCA officials. Didn't here anything one way or the other so not sure how it went.(other than a brief chat with Brian who brought up a few interesting things that had been discussed)

I'm good either way but as I said before, a real race tire would be cool. Many good points for either direction but I'm still hoping the region moves forward with a guaranteed race tire and allowing the RA1 to be used for next season. One mans opinion :)

Dean, Maybe SCCA and NASA can cut their prices in half for next year and we can all run both :D Oh wait, double tire budget :(

Ron

RAmotorsports

Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

dstevens

dstevens

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,404 posts
  • Region:LVR

The logbook is something I was unaware of I will give NASA credit for that one. I know NASA will give me a License if I pay for it right? I may be mistaken but when SCCA says it will except NASA licenses do they require you purchase one also? I think they do require a membership.

Dennis

I checked into this not too long ago and my understanding both orgs require you to be a member in good standing and have a valid racing license from that org. They will however use the other orgs license as a qualification for a license so you don't have to test again. IOW, if you want to play twice, you gots to pay twice... ;)

Brian Ghidinelli

Brian Ghidinelli

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 465 posts
  • Car Year:1999
  • Car Number:12

I checked into this not too long ago and my understanding both orgs require you to be a member in good standing and have a valid racing license from that org. They will however use the other orgs license as a qualification for a license so you don't have to test again. IOW, if you want to play twice, you gots to pay twice... ;)

This is not correct - you DO have to have an SCCA membership but you do NOT have to have an SCCA license. I raced for a full season in SCCA using my BMW CCA license when I first started.

The information for NASA is correct as I understand it - you must be both a member AND have a license (which they will give you to you based on your SCCA license). You should be able to race with SCCA using your NASA license today. See this thread for details: http://forum.specmia...46;t=000019;p=0

Note this is only good for SCCA Regionals. SCCA Nationals require an SCCA National license (funnily enough, an SCCA Pro license doesn't even qualify you to run a National! Not sure what that says about "pro" racers :) )
Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill - Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Johnny D

Johnny D

Veteran Member

• Moderators
  • 6,121 posts
  • Car Number:88
Getting farther off subject.
One of the drivers wife, kids and Father in law were in town to watch the races.
I thought it would be exciting for them to go a lap in the pace car.
They were not able because they are not SCCA members and the kids were not over 16 ???
They were very disappointed.
Hard to get more people interested in the sport with rule like this.
IMO,
J~
2011 NASA Western Endurance Racing Championship E3 Champ
We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Beta-Tester - Assisted us with beta testing the website. Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Novel Approach - When a paragraph simply won't do... Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill - Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+

dtfastbear

dtfastbear

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 297 posts
  • Region:NorCal
Thanks for clarifying, Brian. I didn't realize that I don't need an SCCA license. That's actually pretty cool.

As for NASA - you're correct. We do require that you have a NASA racing license (which your SCCA license will qualify you for).

Your racing behavior is tracked/attached to your NASA racing license. Things such as probation, suspensions, etc. are not a reflection on you as a member, but rather you as a racer. I imagine SCCA separates racing licenses from membership for the same reason. I am curious as to how they'd handle assigning/tracking points to a race license for unsavory on-track behavior if there is no SCCA race license? I guess they track this at the "membership" level?

Chalk it up to another one of the small differences between the groups.

I had a GREAT time running with the SCCA this past weekend, and I was impressed with how quickly I was able to get through late registration/tech/etc with a minimum of fuss.

Cheers,

Dean

Former driver

Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Johnny D

Johnny D

Veteran Member

• Moderators
  • 6,121 posts

Thanks for clarifying, Brian. I didn't realize that I don't need an SCCA license. That's actually pretty cool.

As for NASA - you're correct. We do require that you have a NASA racing license (which your SCCA license will qualify you for).

Your racing behavior is tracked/attached to your NASA racing license. Things such as probation, suspensions, etc. are not a reflection on you as a member, but rather you as a racer. I imagine SCCA separates racing licenses from membership for the same reason. I am curious as to how they'd handle assigning/tracking points to a race license for unsavory on-track behavior if there is no SCCA race license? I guess they track this at the "membership" level?

Chalk it up to another one of the small differences between the groups.

I had a GREAT time running with the SCCA this past weekend, and I was impressed with how quickly I was able to get through late registration/tech/etc with a minimum of fuss.

Cheers,

Dean

Did you get away with your seat in tech ???
J~
We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Beta-Tester - Assisted us with beta testing the website. Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Novel Approach - When a paragraph simply won't do... Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill - Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+

dtfastbear

dtfastbear

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 297 posts
Between noon when I made the decision to run the second half of the regional and the 4pm qualifying, I installed a seat back brace by drilling two holes in my (formerly) FIA approved seat. I think I might have thrown up a little while drilling the holes, but my nausea over watching the Oregon guys kicking all of the NorCal guys' asses in the first race overpowered my nausea over safety rules which make me LESS SAFE. :)

Former driver

Johnny D

Johnny D

Veteran Member

• Moderators
  • 6,121 posts
LMAO
Thanks for sharing.
J~

Jim Boemler

Jim Boemler

Veteran Member

• Moderators
  • 852 posts
  • Region:NWR
  • Car Year:1992
  • Car Number:30

Between noon when I made the decision to run the second half of the regional and the 4pm qualifying, I installed a seat back brace by drilling two holes in my (formerly) FIA approved seat. I think I might have thrown up a little while drilling the holes, but my nausea over watching the Oregon guys kicking all of the NorCal guys' asses in the first race overpowered my nausea over safety rules which make me LESS SAFE. :)

Your nausea probably affected your safety more than the holes in the seat. :lol:

dtfastbear

dtfastbear

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 297 posts
Only testing will prove that theory, Jim! Now we just need a test sled, some drilled and non-drilled FIA seats and a couple mega-burritos from Casa Ramos in Willows...

Former driver

Jim Boemler

Jim Boemler

Veteran Member

• Moderators
  • 852 posts
  • Region:NWR
  • Car Year:1992
  • Car Number:30
Then you can change your handle to dtsleddog. ;)

Brian Ghidinelli

Brian Ghidinelli

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 465 posts
  • Car Number:12

Getting farther off subject.
One of the drivers wife, kids and Father in law were in town to watch the races.
I thought it would be exciting for them to go a lap in the pace car.
They were not able because they are not SCCA members and the kids were not over 16 ???
They were very disappointed.
Hard to get more people interested in the sport with rule like this.

I agree with the general sentiment, but the legal ramifications of track events requires a certain amount of hoop jumping. SCCA membership provides insurance coverage and there is no way to get on track in any capacity without it. They could be SCCA members for $15 (weekend membership) and the minor could be approved with a minor waiver I suspect but that requires notary i think? If you think lawsuits are bad, lawsuits about kids getting hurt are ugly. I doubt any of the other (racing) groups differ on this one unfortunately.
Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill - Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Sacslider

Sacslider

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 196 posts
  • Car Year:1991
  • Car Number:27
Not to ditract from the current discussion but, was there a clearer picture as to what tire the regions drivers would like to run?

Dean- I agree with you Nasusea when faced with drilling you FIA seat.
Craig Evans
NASA NorCal SpecMiata Director Retired
NASA Norcal Region Champion - SpecMiata 2011, 2013<p>
Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill - Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! NASA Champs Winner - NASA Champs Winner Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Johnny D

Johnny D

Veteran Member

• Moderators
  • 6,121 posts
It's in the grp 7 meeting thread but this quote covers it pretty well.
http://mazdaracers.c...t=0

Basically the way it went down is Brian covered his notes, someone did a bunch of scaremongering about broken spindles, and then someone asked if AIM would lose money by going to hooisers which discouraged anyone that didn't want to offend AIM. Consensus was to not take any risks and let the national racers get burned if the SM6 sucks.

Brian asked if anyone likes the idea of the hoosier and I said I did, but said I wouldn't vote since I don't race enough in SFR. I think sticking with the RA1 is probably the smart conservative move for SFR. Can always change it later if rave reviews come in.

Someone also suggested there were 60 SMs racing in socal that weekend. It was more like 16.

^---- Edit: I misheard, Mike said 60 in all, not 60 SM. IIRC, Cal Club sees something like 20 SM cars on a fair weekend, 10 SM on a bad one, 30 SM on a good one.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users