Rob Burgoon

Rob Burgoon

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,465 posts
  • Car Year:1995
  • Car Number:91
By the by, to encourage you norcal NASA guys to turn traitor, cal club/buttonwillow is offering free storage of cars and trailers from the Pacific Champs until the NASA socal event the following weekend.

That should save some gas money.
Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill - Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations!

ethan666

ethan666

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Like I said earlier, we have enough bargaining power to get our own race group appended to this event if we can deliver. We can also agree on a spec tire. Right now it would be open tire if you show up in an scca regional car.

This event has potential, I'm glad that CalClub is making the effort here. +1 on a West Coast championship!

I wonder how many cars we would need to lobby to get our own run group?

http://www.motorspor...89E12A9BAE6D3C9

Rob Burgoon

Rob Burgoon

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,465 posts

This event has potential, I'm glad that CalClub is making the effort here. +1 on a West Coast championship!

I wonder how many cars we would need to lobby to get our own run group?

http://www.motorspor...89E12A9BAE6D3C9

I'd guess 20 cars might do it, but we'd need more cars to be sure.

I think it would be an add on for additional cost instead of pulling us out of our current group. Ditching the other cars completely would probably be in poor taste considering the spirit of the event.
What do you norcal and oregon guys think? Can SCCA guys be tempted to come down?

NASA norcal guys, this is your chance to send your NASA boss a signal to run his events a little better ;)
Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill - Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations!

Bruce Wilson

Bruce Wilson

Gold Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 663 posts
  • Region:Oregon
  • Car Year:1991
  • Car Number:68

I'd guess 20 cars might do it, but we'd need more cars to be sure.

I think it would be an add on for additional cost instead of pulling us out of our current group. Ditching the other cars completely would probably be in poor taste considering the spirit of the event.
What do you norcal and oregon guys think? Can SCCA guys be tempted to come down?

NASA norcal guys, this is your chance to send your NASA boss a signal to run his events a little better ;)

Not likely. The WARRC needs to:
1) Be SCCA run, so that we can have real, potentially intrusive tech
2) Start in a more central location
3) Have seperate run groups for SM and SRF

-bw

I have an opinion so I must be right

Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata Survivalist - Won 25 Hours at Thunderhill! We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Rob Burgoon

Rob Burgoon

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,465 posts
1) It is, just not SCCA sanctioned. You can have intrusive tech without SCCA. It probably just won't happen this year.
2) Buttonwillow is central for most of us ;)
3) Certainly doable.

Bruce Wilson

Bruce Wilson

Gold Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 663 posts
1) not like at the runoffs
2) then just call it the California Road Racing Championships ;)
3) how many SMs showed up for the race this year?

Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata Survivalist - Won 25 Hours at Thunderhill! We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Johnny D

Johnny D

Veteran Member

• Moderators
  • 6,121 posts
  • Region:San Francisco
  • Car Year:1999
  • Car Number:88
I know the guy running the event would be pissed but.
If SCCA took over and there was a SM run group would you come?
It's Oct 29th.
That does screw with a NASA Infineon date, but..
It would be down there sooner or later.
So, I'll still ask.
J~
2011 NASA Western Endurance Racing Championship E3 Champ
We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Beta-Tester - Assisted us with beta testing the website. Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Novel Approach - When a paragraph simply won't do... Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill - Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+

fishguyaz

fishguyaz

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 119 posts
  • Region:AZ
  • Car Number:92

If SCCA took over and there was a SM run group would you come?

I like racing where i have a an insurance policy (medical)in case something goes wrong.
under scca it will then be provided. not a big deal unless you need it. i know my personal policy sucks and would fight against paying out for medical related to racing incidents.

UNLESS its an SM only run group, i wouldnt consider making the trip.
there are enough cars, and i agree with rob that 20 was the magic # of entries we need for AZ region to create the dedicated run group.

the lack of tech seems to be an issue to for a "championship" race. I like to think the honor system would work, but it doesnt leave me rushing out to spend my time and $ for the weekend unless i view it as "just another regional race" to attend.

i think the idea has merit, but really needs to be run with one sanctioning body and one set of rules.

IMO this needs tweaking, but it is a great idea to mold into something really needed out west.

I might go just because i have some toyos to burn up, but not likely( this year).
Josh Pitt
1999 SM #92 SoPac division

Rob Burgoon

Rob Burgoon

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,465 posts
Bruce, the race hasn't happened yet. Right now I think I am the only one signed up, but people typically sign up late in socal.

Runoffs tech? Hah! I'll let you make arrangements for making that happen. However, there is NO reason why a tech better than runoffs can't be done without the SCCA. That's just being obtuse.

All you chickens are gonna need to show up before we can start making tasty omelette.

Cal club probably isn't going to cater to Bruce's demands unless SM proves it can bring the numbers. If it takes off this year, we can talk about a more vigorous tech next year.

Jim Boemler

Jim Boemler

Veteran Member

• Moderators
  • 852 posts
  • Region:NWR
  • Car Year:1992
  • Car Number:30
Sounds like chicken and egg, Rob. You should be thinking Field of Dreams instead. This stuff takes "investment"

Rob Burgoon

Rob Burgoon

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,465 posts

Sounds like chicken and egg, Rob. You should be thinking Field of Dreams instead. This stuff takes "investment"

Some other region can make an investment. I like the bottom up approach myself.

Like I said, the chickens from up north can come first.

Jim Boemler

Jim Boemler

Veteran Member

• Moderators
  • 852 posts
  • Region:NWR
  • Car Year:1992
  • Car Number:30
Yup, it's always up to somebody else.

Charlie Hayes

Charlie Hayes

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 513 posts
  • Region:West Coast
  • Car Number:22
Im in.
Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill - Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill

dp35

dp35

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 156 posts
  • Region:SF
  • Car Number:51

Why not expand the Spec Miata Festival race and invite more drivers from out of region to compete?

I like this idea. Why not make our annual SM Festival race the West Coast Championship? I propose that if this happens, the grid for the WCC race is set based on the finishes in the two regional races of the same weekend. The same way NASA does it's nationals.

Advantages:
- Doesn't require an additional race, happens at an existing event.
- Can be at Laguna Seca or Infineon, which would be very unlikely for a stand alone race. (I suggest Infineon, no sound issues or gravel traps)
- Oregon crew already attend the SM Festival race, just need the SoCal guys & the field is set.
- SCCA regional rules (likely RA1 tires in 2012), SCCA tech, and staff.
- Our SM Festival weekends are already a great party, the perfect time to show off our regional races.

Disadvantages?
Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Survivalist - Won 25 Hours at Thunderhill! We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations!

Charlie Hayes

Charlie Hayes

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 513 posts
  • Region:West Coast
  • Car Number:22
Sounds perfect. I was going to suggest the points system for the first 2 races setting the grid for the "WCC". Im imagining a pretty awesome grid if we get the top Oregon and SoCal guys in for such a thing.
Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill - Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill

Bruce Wilson

Bruce Wilson

Gold Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 663 posts
We need to make sure that the schedule is not in conflict with the Rose Cup. I would have been at this year's festival race if it were not the same weekend as Rose Cup. Also the race should be nearer the end of year if it is to be viewed as a championship race.

-bw

Johnny D

Johnny D

Veteran Member

• Moderators
  • 6,121 posts
  • Region:San Francisco
  • Car Number:88
I think we have a huge potential here with this idea.
Lets take all the best of everything and make it happen.
Lets make the perfect storm in a positive way, but lets do it right for next year.
I think it needs to be a success the 1st time or it's not going to happen again.
But it sure looked like Infineon had the most potential with some of the best drivers and some coming out of the woodwork to compete.
J~
2011 NASA Western Endurance Racing Championship E3 Champ
We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Beta-Tester - Assisted us with beta testing the website. Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Novel Approach - When a paragraph simply won't do... Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill - Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+

Ken SM94

Ken SM94

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 143 posts
  • Car Number:94
I was told by a reliable source at Infineon that the festival race at Laguna will conflict with Rose Cup again in 2012. I feel loyalty to my region's premier event but deciding between Rose Cup and racing 60 of my SM friends, there's no contest. :)

Sorry, but I don't think Buttonwillow is the track we want to have this type of event at. It needs to be at Laguna, Infineon or Thunderhill. All are world-class tracks and are centrally located for all the west coasters.
Ken Sutherland
1976 4th Grade Bowling Series-Most Improved
We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Sean - MiataCage

Sean - MiataCage

• Moderators
  • 301 posts
I really like the idea of this type of event and would certainly consider being a big or even the title sponsor. I have zero desire to do the runoffs at RA given the parity issue, the lengthy tow and the number of actual green flag racing laps, number of totaled cars etc. We have all proven time and time again that the West Coast has some of the very best drivers in SpecMiata and it would be great to put together a title event that could crown a West Coast Champion.

A thought or two......

- Southern California will not work for the NW guys. It's too far to tow in a down economy. Too much expense and time away from work.
- Norcal is more centrally located and has proven it can support the numbers on multiple levels.
- I agree that end of year would be appropriate for a championship race. Why not do it the same weekend as the Runoffs?
- I would like to consider a 3 race event instead of a final winner take all event. Maybe use Infineon and Laguna during the year for points (to be determined) towards a WCC with the final race hopefully being the decider.
- Tech needs to be respectable or it will invalidate the importance of the event. There is NO excuse for not weighing cars... The final championship race needs to see a lot of the basic tech items done and some of the big items like computers, fuel, cams, compression etc checked. If we plan accordingly we should be able to handle some pretty serious tech in a timely and respectable manner without protests and hurt feelings.

Respectfully.... Sean
Sean Hedrick - President
www.miatacage.com
360-606-7734
Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Sponsor / Advertiser - Site sponsor / advertiser... support these guys!

Ron Alan

Ron Alan

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,732 posts
Going with one of the Nor-Cal tracks does make the most sense. Our Northern friends have shown, at least this year, that SFR drivers don't hold much of an advantage :o

Holding it on the same weekend as the runoffs might not work...as this might actually attract some deep pockets to come west! If the date could be chosen prior to all regions setting their schedules, this may avoid a lot of conflicts. Getting a weekend at Thunderhill would be simplest but making Infineon or Laguna happen may attract more, especially out of towners. How about the powers that be of the 3 west coast regions set up a conference call soon?? Not intentionally leaving out those regions west of the rockies...just don't know them :)

The other thing that should be considered is some sort of way to minimally qualify...couple ideas to start

1. Minimun # of regional SCCA races...in or out of your area.
2. Minimum finish position as a percentage of the car count?
3. And or minimum lap time as a percentage of leaders time in any given race?

And yes, this would exclude some drivers...ready to be flamed if this is off base :)

I do like the way NASA determines final race grid order, maybe something to consider as someone else mentioned I believe.

Good thread Darin ;)

Ron

RAmotorsports

Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users