Jim Boemler

Jim Boemler

Veteran Member

• Moderators
  • 852 posts
  • Region:NWR
  • Car Year:1992
  • Car Number:30
Maybe having at least one successful event would be nice before starting to kick people out.

dtfastbear

dtfastbear

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 297 posts
  • Region:NorCal
As a very biased NorCal participant, of COURSE I like the idea of having it in NorCal. Infineon , Laguna and Thunderhill are world class tracks and facilities. I'm with Darin on this - use an established event next year - don't over-engineer this. By simply promoting an existing event properly, we can get enough big guns to make it a legit "Championship".

That being said, if the SCCA SM Fesitval weekend conflicts with Rose Cup, I'm SURE I could work out a deal with Jerry to accommodate whatever type of schedule we wanted on a NASA weekend at Infineon or Thunderhill. Multiple qualifying races, a longer feature race, one qualifying race on the NASCAR Chute (at Infineon) or one race on T-Hill backwards (at T-Hill), just to diminish the local advantage (since we almost never run that configuration...) Whatever we wanted. I'm sure we could work out a way to accept SCCA log books for that weekend, etc. We'd just have to plan ahead. I know that we'd have a year of Burgoon's bitching about NASA NorCal, but it does offer one thing: flexibility.

I'm in no matter what sanctioning body and what track. Just offering more alternatives.

Ron - as for minimum qualifications, there's no reason to do that IMHO. I really like the idea of anyone with a racing license joining the party to see where they stack up. If we have more than the 70-75 cars allowed, the folks that qualify in the last X spots have to race in Group 5 or Group 1 (we've done this before when we had nearly 80 cars). That's the fairest way, I think. That "exclusionary" crap annoys me in amateur racing. We're all in this for fun.

Cheers,

Dean

Former driver

Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

dstevens

dstevens

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,404 posts
  • Region:LVR

I like racing where i have a an insurance policy (medical)in case something goes wrong.
under scca it will then be provided. not a big deal unless you need it. i know my personal policy sucks and would fight against paying out for medical related to racing incidents.

Any legit org or promoter will have insurance along the lines the SCCA (or NASA) have. Major medical as a secondary to whatever else you have or don't have. The real reason to use an established org is for the workers, infrastructure, good deal with the track, rules, etc.

Ron Alan

Ron Alan

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,732 posts
  • Car Year:1995

As a very biased NorCal participant, of COURSE I like the idea of having it in NorCal. Infineon , Laguna and Thunderhill are world class tracks and facilities. I'm with Darin on this - use an established event next year - don't over-engineer this. By simply promoting an existing event properly, we can get enough big guns to make it a legit "Championship".

Ron - as for minimum qualifications, there's no reason to do that IMHO. I really like the idea of anyone with a racing license joining the party to see where they stack up. If we have more than the 70-75 cars allowed, the folks that qualify in the last X spots have to race in Group 5 or Group 1 (we've done this before when we had nearly 80 cars). That's the fairest way, I think. That "exclusionary" crap annoys me in amateur racing. We're all in this for fun.

Cheers,

Dean

You do have to qualify to go to the runoffs...even if it is just based on participation I think. Just thinking along the same lines here.

Though I brought it up of course, is there actually anyway to be excluded now in amateur racing(SCCA/NASA)beyond your on track behavior? I don't want to exclude anybody either but IMO there is a level of competence that should be present among all competitors in a race that is being labeled a "West Coast Championship". Not all amateur athletes get to go to the Olympics :( But if 75 cars is the track limit, as Dean suggests, then put the fastest 75 out there and lets race! Toyo bucks for the top 15 :D

Again, in the end if this happens, somebody other than me will make the decisions. Like the tire issue i'm good with whatever happens, just thinking out loud at this point :)

Ron

RAmotorsports

Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Jim Boemler

Jim Boemler

Veteran Member

• Moderators
  • 852 posts
  • Region:NWR
  • Car Year:1992
  • Car Number:30
Requiring a National license seems like a reasonable bar. Beyond that, I see no reason to turn away anyone until you start running out of room. I mean, you could make it really elite by only inviting the western regional champions! How much of a success would would the event be?

Randy Thieme

Randy Thieme

• SMembers
  • PipPipPip
  • 277 posts
  • Region:Oregon
  • Car Year:1993
  • Car Number:51
Being one of those that would probably not "make the cut" I have no problem with some sort of minimum performance requirement. That really makes sense assuming you're trying to organize an actual championship and not just a Miata party.
Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+ Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

dtfastbear

dtfastbear

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 297 posts
  • Region:NorCal
Participation requirements dissuade folks like myself (and McAnaney, Cross, Hall, Darin this year) who aren't actively running a spec miata series, but rather pick just one or two races to do a year. Again, I'll ask the question - WHY do you want to exclude people?

Jim - an SCCA National license is just a tax and another participation requirement. Anyone can get a national license with SCCA if you do enough events and pay the extra $$. That would also keep me away. Maybe I'm being selfish, but as someone who I *think* would be in the target audience for an event like this, any participation or other-than-regional licensing requirement is just making it less likely I'll participate. Again - WHY would you want to impose restrictions? If the answer has even a hint of "so it is an elite event", then I'm not aligned with the intent. That's fine - just want to know up front. :)

Cheers,

Dean

Former driver

Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Johnny D

Johnny D

Veteran Member

• Moderators
  • 6,121 posts
  • Region:San Francisco
  • Car Year:1999
  • Car Number:88
Just some ideas here...
Do we want to run our largest track to have as many cars as we can hold.
If Laguna would Mazda contribute.
Webcam?
Maybe not but, would Reno Fernly or LV attract more from the mid west.

+1 regional only.
J~
2011 NASA Western Endurance Racing Championship E3 Champ
We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Beta-Tester - Assisted us with beta testing the website. Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Novel Approach - When a paragraph simply won't do... Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill - Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+

Rob Burgoon

Rob Burgoon

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,465 posts
  • Car Number:91

We'd just have to plan ahead. I know that we'd have a year of Burgoon's bitching about NASA NorCal, but it does offer one thing: flexibility.

SFR makes Jerry look GOOD.
Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill - Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations!

Johnny D

Johnny D

Veteran Member

• Moderators
  • 6,121 posts
Did we want a June Sprints as long as we're at it ?
J~
We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Beta-Tester - Assisted us with beta testing the website. Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Novel Approach - When a paragraph simply won't do... Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill - Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+

Johnny D

Johnny D

Veteran Member

• Moderators
  • 6,121 posts

Did we want a June Sprints as long as we're at it ?
J~

Careful what you call it. A little birdy just told me this.

"Not unless you want to deal with lawyers. Chicago Region has established legal exclusivity to the name."

J~

Rob Burgoon

Rob Burgoon

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,465 posts
Call it "June Suck it Chicago" then. :)

Guys, with no Runoffs West, is there already a need for a second event?
Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill - Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations!

Johnny D

Johnny D

Veteran Member

• Moderators
  • 6,121 posts

Call it "June Suck it Chicago" then. :)

Guys, with no Runoffs West, is there already a need for a second event?

LOL.
Summer madness?
A schedule has to be figured out.
Go big or go home. :hugegrin:
J~

Rob Burgoon

Rob Burgoon

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,465 posts

Johnny D

Johnny D

Veteran Member

• Moderators
  • 6,121 posts

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kX8Qqu_WBIc

LMAO,

I can't speak for SCCA but I'd imagine you'd get.

"Thank you for your input"
and
"We will take into account your points in our discussions with the Board of Directors on this topic."

J~

Richter Racing

Richter Racing

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 21 posts
  • Region:SoCal
  • Car Year:1993
  • Car Number:29
I just got off the phone with one of the organizers for the Pacific Coast Championship and I was told that if we can get 20 cars we will have our own run group.
Only boring people get bored.

dstevens

dstevens

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,404 posts

Just some ideas here...
Maybe not but, would Reno Fernly or LV attract more from the mid west.

Vegas might, but there are only a handful of us that are into road racing locally. They would have to come from elsewhere but there wouldn't be a locals advantage. The LVMS roval (really an infield road circuit not a true roval) is pretty much the RV parking alley for the Cup event though it's doable but weak. If you have LVMS in iRacing the roval is included. The outside road circuit next to the Bullring (not in iRacing) is better but it's not a Laguna, Sears Point, Thunderhill or Willow Springs. It's an hour long tow to Spring Mountain from south Strip but I don't know how much wheel to wheel they do, or even allow these days.

Advantage of Vegas, no locals advantage and Vegas can be as cheap or as expensive as you want it to be these days. The downturn really humbled a lot of people. Except of course for the bunch that run LVMS... :o

dstevens

dstevens

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,404 posts

Careful what you call it. A little birdy just told me this.

"Not unless you want to deal with lawyers. Chicago Region has established legal exclusivity to the name."

They've had it for a while, almost 30 years...

http://tess2.uspto.g...09:ep5lrr.7.104

With how they ran the race this year I don't think I'd want to. :shocking:

Johnny D

Johnny D

Veteran Member

• Moderators
  • 6,121 posts
So how this coming along ???
Get Ken and the Oregon crew, Elliott and his bad boys from SoCal, Dean, Craig, Vodden, Phillip and the gang at Infineon, Wow.
I know I'm leaving a lot of names out, but the top 10 is going to be pretty crowded.
J~

Rob Burgoon

Rob Burgoon

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,465 posts

So how this coming along ???

Pretty good, I just won the first one while you guys were goofing off at infineon. :king: :butthead:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users