Johnny D

Johnny D

Veteran Member

• Moderators
  • 6,121 posts
  • Region:San Francisco
  • Car Year:1999
  • Car Number:88
Your basic set up is off and you need to fix that before you get into cross weight.
You're too high, so fix it. It affects camber for better or worse, so you'll have to adjust.
Toe is wrong so you'll have to adjust that.
After that your car should handle better than now.
Then you can work on Cross weight, wedge, de-wedge. But I wouldn't.

You can't jump to the end without starting at the beginning.
J~
2011 NASA Western Endurance Racing Championship E3 Champ
We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Beta-Tester - Assisted us with beta testing the website. Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Novel Approach - When a paragraph simply won't do... Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill - Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+

Flyntgr

Flyntgr

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 116 posts
  • Region:Delta
  • Car Number:77

Your basic set up is off and you need to fix that before you get into cross weight.
You're too high, so fix it. It affects camber for better or worse, so you'll have to adjust.
Toe is wrong so you'll have to adjust that.
After that your car should handle better than now.
Then you can work on Cross weight, wedge, de-wedge. But I wouldn't.

You can't jump to the end without starting at the beginning.
J~

Did you not read my previous posts? I know how to set up the ride height first, then set cw keeping ride height the same. then the alignments will be set as davew suggested. Geez, go back and read my response to davew.

Johnny D

Johnny D

Veteran Member

• Moderators
  • 6,121 posts
  • Region:San Francisco
Okay, to answer your question you need your car wedged to make it turn right.
J~
2011 NASA Western Endurance Racing Championship E3 Champ
We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Beta-Tester - Assisted us with beta testing the website. Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Novel Approach - When a paragraph simply won't do... Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill - Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+

Flyntgr

Flyntgr

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 116 posts
Thank you, Johnny.

Muda

Muda

ComingToAMirrorNearYou

• SMembers
  • PipPipPip
  • 365 posts
  • Region:WDC
That's it, I'm selling my Hawkeye.
Good thing I didn't throw away the strings.
Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+ Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Jim Boemler

Jim Boemler

Veteran Member

• Moderators
  • 852 posts
  • Region:NWR
  • Car Year:1992
  • Car Number:30
The "would not handle at full throttle through the turns" is pretty vague, and may or may not be the car. You got several suggestions for adjusting the car to suit you, using bars, tire pressure, and rake. Don't dismiss rake, BTW, it's got a very definite effect. What you don't seem to be grasping is that until the car is handling the turns perfectly, and you're perfectly in tune with it, and you're winning most of your races, and you can discern specifically which corner you might pick up a tenth or so, biased cross weights are just meaningless. You're worrying about the tiniest adjustment, and ignoring all the ones that could really matter to you.

Flyntgr

Flyntgr

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 116 posts

The "would not handle at full throttle through the turns" is pretty vague, and may or may not be the car. You got several suggestions for adjusting the car to suit you, using bars, tire pressure, and rake. Don't dismiss rake, BTW, it's got a very definite effect. What you don't seem to be grasping is that until the car is handling the turns perfectly, and you're perfectly in tune with it, and you're winning most of your races, and you can discern specifically which corner you might pick up a tenth or so, biased cross weights are just meaningless. You're worrying about the tiniest adjustment, and ignoring all the ones that could really matter to you.

I'm trying to find the right "rake" for those turns, and in doing so, I'm asking for ballpark suggestions as to what cw might work. I'm testing, testing, testing without any real suggestions as to starting points or brackets. The car was too loose to take more throttle all the time. I'm close, though. I'm talking about tenths of a second. I'm losing a little bit from the guys who have been doing this for 5 or 6 years and have the rake figured out for their cars. Nothing would be gained by just setting it at some arbitrary cw without regard to how slow or fast it is, so I'm seeking the "best" cw for me, my car, the track, the season, the temperature, the humidity, the amount of rubber on the track, etc, etc.

Flyntgr

Flyntgr

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 116 posts

That's it, I'm selling my Hawkeye.
Good thing I didn't throw away the strings.

That's just what I told a mechanic today-who was the first one to set my alignment, only to learn a day or two later than the machine was out of calibration. I told him the toe plate, strings and degree wheel would not get out of calibration, and some guys who used those things really did a great job of aligning our cars in the old days! None of those guys gave us a false SAI reading!!! :lol:

Jim Boemler

Jim Boemler

Veteran Member

• Moderators
  • 852 posts

I'm seeking the "best" cw for me, my car, the track, the season, the temperature, the humidity, the amount of rubber on the track, etc, etc.

OK, last time. The answer for now -- whether you accept it or not -- is "50%". I think it's substantially the same answer you've gotten from everyone else as well.

Tom Hampton

Tom Hampton

Egregious Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,060 posts
  • Region:South west
  • Car Number:41

Okay, to answer your question you need your car wedged to make it turn right.
J~

Errr... wedge = rf/lr. Loose in a rh turn would be corrected by weight on rr/lf. That is dewedge, right?

-tch
Build: www.tomhampton.info

video: vimeo.com/tomhampton

Support: X-Factor Racing

I didn't lose, I just got outspent!

Beta-Tester - Assisted us with beta testing the website. Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Keith Novak

Keith Novak

Steadily Improving Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,128 posts
  • Region:Northwest/Oregon
  • Car Year:1995
If your CW is 50%, you're in the ballpark. You're commenting that people aren't reading your posts, but you're not reading theirs.
Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations!

Flyntgr

Flyntgr

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 116 posts

OK, last time. The answer for now -- whether you accept it or not -- is "50%". I think it's substantially the same answer you've gotten from everyone else as well.

Jim, I got it. Did you get it that I have been trying 50% for months while trying every line in those turns, but often not quite keeping up with other cars no better than mine, sometimes passing them, but not usually, against drivers with whom I am very competitive? I can gain on them and sometimes pass them, up to t13, but at that point they slowly pull away before 14, despite my driving their line, other lines, etc. True, it was another car, running against another 1.6 or two, plus another 1.8, but why should I not try other cw's? I can drive other cw's in either car. I just want to see what works best. If my car runs faster at 49 cw or 51 cw, shouldn't I try to find that out? Wouldn't you? Even a blind hog finds an acorn sometimes.

Jim Boemler

Jim Boemler

Veteran Member

• Moderators
  • 852 posts
Not ignoring you, but I really did my last comment on your setup above. No more for me. What I'd suggest is shifting gears a little, and posting video of a couple of your races. Maybe some folks could get a better idea of the problem from that.

Flyntgr

Flyntgr

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 116 posts

Errr... wedge = rf/lr. Loose in a rh turn would be corrected by weight on rr/lf. That is dewedge, right?

Tom, exactly right. Stan, one of the fastest SM drivers ever to race on our track just told me today that I need to try cw of 49%. Heck, he uses 48% on his NASCAR tank he wrestles around the track at light speeds. I respect those who try to help out, but some of the responders think they know everything I know about my track, my car and my capabilities. They don't. So they are going far outside the arena of my question to offer advice I didn't ask for. A couple suggest I'm not reading replies, which is b.s. I don't have to accept every bit of advice offered. As a commander of troops I learned to listen well, but make command decisions I would have to live with, as would my troops. I'm not stupid, just learning about setup and alignments. Sorry for the rant, but guys, give it a break. Davew answered my questions long ago. You can let this thread rest now. I'm working on it..... Really.

Keith Novak

Keith Novak

Steadily Improving Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,128 posts
  • Region:Northwest/Oregon
  • Car Year:1995
You're right. We don't even know your name let alone how your times stack up against the class leaders on your track. Try 49% and let us know how it works for you.
Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations!

Flyntgr

Flyntgr

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 116 posts

You're right. We don't even know your name let alone how your times stack up against the class leaders on your track. Try 49% and let us know how it works for you.

Thanks, Jim and Keith. I appreciate everyone's good intentions, it's just late and I've been defending all day. Look at Vimeo at Circuit Grand Bayou, then go to "flyntgr" and look at my videos. They were all taken in my old 1.6 '90 SM, but it's a really good and fast car. You'll see me passing some 944s and other sm's in that curve.

Also, I updated my profile for those who might want to look at it. Thanks, everyone. I'm trying to attach a video, too. the Black Porsche is a 2.7L with around 50 h.p. more than the standard 944.

Muda

Muda

ComingToAMirrorNearYou

• SMembers
  • PipPipPip
  • 365 posts
  • Region:WDC
Waiting for the day that up 1/4 turn on the left rear is what puts me on the podium.

If the new car is as loose as the old one was in both directions I'd start looking at things other than cw.
Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+ Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Flyntgr

Flyntgr

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 116 posts
I'm already looking at everything. But changing one thing at a time.

James York

James York

AKA Cajun Miata Man; Overdog Driver

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 898 posts
  • Region:Houston
  • Car Year:2003
  • Car Number:03
Reggie,

Wow. What an attitude toward people that are doing their best to steer you correctly. These folks are basically telling you the same thing I did over a month ago. There is a basic theme that all have......

How long have you had your new 99? Have you even driven it on the track yet?

Since you just bought it.......

99s are distinctly different than 1.6Ls. Being much heavier, they require a different driving style, hence a different type of setup. I know I have had all model years. All your set-up notes and data can be thrown out the window and your starting over from a "baseline" Take Dave W's (and about everyone else's) recommendation and start with his ride heights and a square CW until you get fast and comfortable in the car. You should easily be able to run a 1:26.00 flat at NPR with a basic setup in a good 99. Until your running consistently below that benchmark, you are the biggest variable in the car performance.

James York

sponsored by:
Stan's Auto Center, Lafayette LA