Sacslider

Sacslider

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 196 posts
  • Region:San Francisco
  • Car Year:1991
  • Car Number:27
We aren't the only cars in the group. Our run group has NEVER been the smallest..... Guess we don't get no respect when the porches show up huh? Where the snivel and whine smilie? :crying2: :weeping:
Craig Evans
NASA NorCal SpecMiata Director Retired
NASA Norcal Region Champion - SpecMiata 2011, 2013<p>
Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill - Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! NASA Champs Winner - NASA Champs Winner Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

dtfastbear

dtfastbear

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 297 posts
  • Region:NorCal
Not refuting your points, but sunshine is the best disinfectant, so I'd like to be as transparent as possible:

- There were only 13 spec miatas and I think only 15 E30's signed up as of Monday. That will absolutely make us the smallest race group.

- The PRC guys pay a big premium for their run group. They also have TWO run groups, as this is their annual "Porsches at the Point" event. In past years, we didn't even have an SM race group at this weekend, but we squeezed it in this year. Trust me, your whining would be NOTHING compared to their whining if they had to race last... What's that saying about the squeaky wheel?

- I don't see a trend, here. Every group has to take their turn as the last race of the weekend. I don't think it is a strict rotation of the groups, but I don't feel like this is the classic SCCA SM "bookend" situation where SM's always get shafted because they can make 92db.

Typing snivel and whine is just as effective as an emoticon!

I know the explanation won't get you home any sooner on Sunday night, but I hope it helps to understand a bit of the rationale.

Cheers,

Dean

Former driver

Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Johnny D

Johnny D

Veteran Member

• Moderators
  • 6,121 posts
  • Car Year:1999
  • Car Number:88

Typing snivel and whine is just as effective as an emoticon!

I added the emoticon because he didn't, too much? :D
J~
2011 NASA Western Endurance Racing Championship E3 Champ
We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Beta-Tester - Assisted us with beta testing the website. Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Novel Approach - When a paragraph simply won't do... Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill - Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+

dtfastbear

dtfastbear

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 297 posts

Cool. There aren't many of these left... :D
>>>it will be a first for NASA

Oh Todd, you have no idea! I had no idea! It's amazing what the combination of creativity and deviousness can come up with...

Former driver

Johnny D

Johnny D

Veteran Member

• Moderators
  • 6,121 posts
If you're going to run the Figure 8 down the drag strip, tell me now so I can switch. :P
J~
We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Beta-Tester - Assisted us with beta testing the website. Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Novel Approach - When a paragraph simply won't do... Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill - Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+

dtfastbear

dtfastbear

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 297 posts
Better than that, but less outrageous than running the track backwards. We will be testing the proposed configuration tomorrow over lunch to ensure that it will be safe and race-able. I can tell you this, it won't just be a first for NASA, it will be a first for Infineon!

Former driver

Johnny D

Johnny D

Veteran Member

• Moderators
  • 6,121 posts
I'm in,
Barrett you gotta do this.
J~

dtfastbear

dtfastbear

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 297 posts
Ok, kids. Pull on your [nomex] big boy pants, because we've got something VERY different for you this weekend! I ask that you all take a deep breath, open your mind to new possibilities, and then take a look at this...

Posted Image

Yes, that part between the NASCAR T4 (the chute) and T5 IS ON THE GRASS! I know, I know, it sounds crazy. But it could be very, very fun! I personally think changes and trials like this are awesome and a great way to develop your racing skills, as it is just another variable to adapt to in real time.

The track is setting this up JUST for SM/E30 as we speak. If enough folks want to, it will be available for testing sessions tomorrow all day. If you're an SM/E30 driver and want to test the config tomorrow, please email Dave Schwartz dschwartz@infineonraceway.com so he can make a schedule. Otherwise, a couple selected drivers will test the config over lunch for driveablility and that will be that.

The track is working on making sure the path through the grass is smooth and rock free so it won't affect tires.

Thoughts??

Dean

Former driver

Johnny D

Johnny D

Veteran Member

• Moderators
  • 6,121 posts
I know who you're going to get a "Talk" from. :D
Think will have to dust off 5th gear?
Would my rains work better for rally?
Good thing I don't have a chin spoiler.
J~

Sacslider

Sacslider

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 196 posts
Well the line in T4 seems to be a somewhat normal line for the rookies but doing it on purpose....hmmmm

the T7 config should be interesting. The 8 8A combo will be something to figure out with the 15 extra mph.
Craig Evans
Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill - Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! NASA Champs Winner - NASA Champs Winner Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

dtfastbear

dtfastbear

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 297 posts
Craig, I recommend trying it flat through 8/8a. I'll be right behind you... :spin:

Former driver

Sacslider

Sacslider

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 196 posts
Sure thing. I will start the second dirt stage from exit of 8A to 10!!!
Craig Evans

dtfastbear

dtfastbear

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 297 posts
Now that one I've run!!!

Former driver

Jaime Florence

Jaime Florence

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 115 posts
  • Region:West Coast
  • Car Year:1993
  • Car Number:96
-- Never mind --
We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill - Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill NASA Champs Winner - NASA Champs Winner Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Jaime Florence

Jaime Florence

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 115 posts
-- OK cool. Here we go! --
We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill - Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill NASA Champs Winner - NASA Champs Winner Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Charlie Hayes

Charlie Hayes

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 513 posts
  • Car Number:22
I will be the one to complain about this, the only thing that is bugging me is the grass. I have been working way to hard to be ready for this weekend, I want to racing on pavement and will not drive through any grass for the race. Any config on pavement is perfectly fine with me. The long 7 looks awesome, the esses would be absolutely crazy that way!
Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill - Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill

Jaime Florence

Jaime Florence

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 115 posts
I totally agree about the grass part! However if we are going to be racing through the dirt and the grass let's not screw around...put a chicane and some tires out there and let's see who has car control.

dtfastbear

dtfastbear

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 297 posts

put a chicane and some tires out there and let's see who has car control.

Now that's the spirit!!

Charlie - I understand your hesitation but I look at it this way - the pavement, when wet, has even LESS grip than the grass. And the way Infineon gets when it rains hard, all the standing water creates even more uncertainty in grip, even on the straights. Those who adapt the fastest to radically different surface conditions win races in the rain and races like this. I'd consider this an advantage for someone like you that learns quickly...

We're going to test this tomorrow, and if it's not safely raceable, we'll alter the config.

I'm sort of surprised that no one has even brought up the point that the '99 is clearly a superior grass car, and parity for the NA cars will be an issue...

Cheers,

Dean

Former driver

Johnny D

Johnny D

Veteran Member

• Moderators
  • 6,121 posts
Did you want to make 4 go farther like a skate board park ramp and then you'd enter straight onto the grass?
I know, it's big boy pants, just think about the E30 guys
Indy shoot or balls out into 10?
J~

dtfastbear

dtfastbear

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 297 posts
The first draft had a longer T4 and a straighter shot onto the grass, Johnny, but then you enter the grass very close to the wall. That also puts the cars right next to the wall the whole way through the grass. I think this is better, but we'll see when we test tomorrow. The track is completely on board with this idea and will cooperate in changing it up so that we (and they) are comfortable with it. We can place stacks of tires strategically to force cars onto certain lines or attitudes.

I just assumed regular T9 instead of the Indy chicane.

Cheers,

Dean

Former driver

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users