Johnny D

Johnny D

Veteran Member

• Moderators
  • 6,121 posts
  • Region:San Francisco
  • Car Year:1999
  • Car Number:88

I'm sort of surprised that no one has even brought up the point that the '99 is clearly a superior grass car, and parity for the NA cars will be an issue...

Tracks going to water real good the night before to keep the dust down. :D
  • dtfastbear and Dan Cooper like this
2011 NASA Western Endurance Racing Championship E3 Champ
We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Beta-Tester - Assisted us with beta testing the website. Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Novel Approach - When a paragraph simply won't do... Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill - Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+

Charlie Hayes

Charlie Hayes

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 513 posts
  • Region:West Coast
  • Car Number:22
No problem with grip issues Dean, my problem is I spent weeks and the past 3 days up till 3am making my car look pretty again. Pretty sure no matter what there will be some kick up of some sort not only for body but what about windshields? I don't want to have to buy another one.

I'm really up for anything. LeMans start for qual, pill draws, full inverts, any course change, add a chicane, do what ever! Just keep it on the blacktop and safe for the drivers and their cars.

I havent raced a race yet and said "that wasn't fun enough, we should have races off course."
Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill - Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill

dtfastbear

dtfastbear

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 297 posts
  • Region:NorCal
Here's the approximate entry point to the grass:

http://g.co/maps/6w69c

And here's the approximate exit:

http://g.co/maps/myuvj

It's looks quite smooth and the transitions to the pavement don't look bad, but there are a lot of loose pebbles and gravel. Jerry was at the track today working with them on this. I hear you, Charlie. We'll see if they've come up with an adequate solution or not. I don't like buying new windshields, either, so let's keep that in mind as we test and see how it looks.

Cheers,

Dean

Former driver

Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Charlie Hayes

Charlie Hayes

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 513 posts
Long 7 with a water truck prerace soak the skid pad. It's a surface change and you would have to adapt to that.
Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill - Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill

Johnny D

Johnny D

Veteran Member

• Moderators
  • 6,121 posts
Speaking of rally...
You didn't want to run outside along the top and come in at 7?
J~
We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Beta-Tester - Assisted us with beta testing the website. Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Novel Approach - When a paragraph simply won't do... Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill - Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+

Dennis

Dennis

• SMembers
  • PipPipPip
  • 52 posts
  • Car Year:1994
  • Car Number:27
I'm with Charlie. I like change and I'm up to try any configuration of track, but on the pavement. I wouldn't use my good set of tires to drive across the dirt in every lap. Whenever I go into the dirt I get under the car to check for damage. I think it's pretty likely if we race in the dirt, chin spoiler, nose paint, windshield.

Dean when you're testing the dirt please think about 2 and 3 abreast on lap one and see if you think that would be safe. Since the decision about using the dirt will be made after you test midday tomorrow, how/when will it be announced? I am rethinking participation for the weekend.

Dennis
Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill - Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

RazerX

RazerX

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 318 posts
  • Region:N. Cal
  • Car Number:11
I have to agree, with the concerns with the grass. And frankly it is not the grass so much as the unpredictable ground under it. Small dips, hills, pot hots, running gophers, and such. I know some run close to the bumpstops and we can argue that is not a good setup, but i don't want to be behind a guy who encounders some serious ground deviations and spins.

- Speed

We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill - Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

RazerX

RazerX

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 318 posts
  • Region:N. Cal
  • Car Number:11
But, i am completely confident in Dean's evaluation tomorrow.

- Speed

We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill - Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

dtfastbear

dtfastbear

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 297 posts
I'll post here from my phone tomorrow after I run the tests and we make some decisions.

Former driver

Ron Alan

Ron Alan

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,732 posts
  • Car Year:1995
Are you guys really drinking the koolaid?

Ron

RAmotorsports

Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

kiwi

kiwi

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  • Car Year:1994
  • Car Number:52
need me to make a couple of dirt runs. sounds fun

dp35

dp35

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 156 posts
  • Region:SF
  • Car Number:51
Love it! Wish I could race, but I might have to come & watch now.

Will the special config be used both days?

Racers - keep in mind that more tread on tires should work better in the dirt.
Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Survivalist - Won 25 Hours at Thunderhill! We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations!

Dan Cooper

Dan Cooper

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 153 posts
  • Region:33 - San Francisco
  • Car Number:40 ;-)
DP - Im thinking about heading up on Sunday morning (havnt looked at the schedule yet) wanna carpool?
Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill - Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations!

dtfastbear

dtfastbear

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 297 posts
Plan is to run this config both days. I imagine that as people figure it out, the racing will just get better. Watch this thread - I'll try to keep it up to date with how the testing goes, any decisions we make about changing the config, etc. I understand the reluctance of some to give this a try, but I'm fired up, personally!

Former driver

Ron Alan

Ron Alan

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,732 posts
Sat race is the first race in the afternoon...Sun is the last race. I will be heading up also if anyone wants to go!

Ron

RAmotorsports

Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Duncan

Duncan

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 251 posts

I have to agree, with the concerns with the grass. And frankly it is not the grass so much as the unpredictable ground under it. Small dips, hills, pot hots, running gophers, and such. I know some run close to the bumpstops and we can argue that is not a good setup, but i don't want to be behind a guy who encounders some serious ground deviations and spins.

I think there's a real possibility of suspension damage as well. If we do this, I'd prefer it to be a one day event, instead of both Saturday and Sunday. Plus, this is my first race at Infineon so the less new things the better as far as I'm concerned.

Duncan
Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations!

Charlie Hayes

Charlie Hayes

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 513 posts
I will probably just run PTE if things go off course. Like I said before, you can do anything under the sun thats safe and fun on the blacktop. 3 wide, nose to tail, in the dirt on a STEEP up hill grade is just screaming disaster.

dtfastbear

dtfastbear

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 297 posts
As a personal favor to me, can I ask that you guys just hold tight with an open mind for a couple hours until we test this config?

If they give us an early session to test it, you'll know very soon. If not, you'll know right after lunch. C'mon guys - POSITIVE thoughts!

Thanks,

Dean

Former driver

Johnny D

Johnny D

Veteran Member

• Moderators
  • 6,121 posts
Please see the final schedule with some significant modifications.

http://www.nasanorcal.com/events2011/oct/schedule.pdf

Rob Burgoon

Rob Burgoon

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,465 posts
  • Car Number:91
If I wasn't waiting on parts to repair my front sway bar mount, I'd be cancelling my buttonwillow races and be headed up there right now for the opportunity to get my dirt on.

By the by, getting the watering right is going to be a real trick. You guys may want to consult with a circle track hillbilly familiar with the sort of dirt/clay/whatever infineon has. Too much and you're bogging. Too little and you can't see.
  • john mueller likes this
Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill - Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users