dp35

dp35

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 156 posts
  • Region:SF
  • Car Year:1999
  • Car Number:51
^^ Good point about watering. I nominate Tim Barber for the job .

If anyone cares, I'm now thinking of going to watch Saturdays race instead of Sunday.
Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Survivalist - Won 25 Hours at Thunderhill! We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations!

Rob Burgoon

Rob Burgoon

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,465 posts
  • Car Year:1995
  • Car Number:91
Also, you might need compacting to make it hard enough for road racing cars to work well on.
Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill - Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations!

Sacslider

Sacslider

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 196 posts
  • Region:San Francisco
  • Car Year:1991
  • Car Number:27
Guess my whining about the schedule has really helped. Now we are the last race on BOTH DAYS?!?!?!
Craig Evans
NASA NorCal SpecMiata Director Retired
NASA Norcal Region Champion - SpecMiata 2011, 2013<p>
Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill - Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! NASA Champs Winner - NASA Champs Winner Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Johnny D

Johnny D

Veteran Member

• Moderators
  • 6,121 posts
  • Car Number:88
Could warm up be in the qual time slot and race for 50 so we're not here all day or some combo like that?
J~
2011 NASA Western Endurance Racing Championship E3 Champ
We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Beta-Tester - Assisted us with beta testing the website. Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Novel Approach - When a paragraph simply won't do... Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill - Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+

john mueller

john mueller

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,075 posts

I will probably just run PTE if things go off course. Like I said before, you can do anything under the sun thats safe and fun on the blacktop. 3 wide, nose to tail, in the dirt on a STEEP up hill grade is just screaming disaster.

I can understand not wanting to do this and even agree to some point. HOWEVER I'm with Rob, if I could make it I'd be there big time! If this works I'll be looking for venues in SoCal where we might be able to give this a whirl. Willow Springs has a 3/8 banked dirt oval I think !!!

If I wasn't waiting on parts to repair my front sway bar mount, I'd be cancelling my buttonwillow races and be headed up there right now for the opportunity to get my dirt on.

We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill - Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+

Johnny D

Johnny D

Veteran Member

• Moderators
  • 6,121 posts
Jerry Kunzman has finished a preliminary test of the race track for this weekend’s event at Infineon Raceway and the test was unsatisfactory. Therefore, we will resume with one of the “regular” configurations for this weekend’s event.
J~
We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Beta-Tester - Assisted us with beta testing the website. Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Novel Approach - When a paragraph simply won't do... Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill - Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+

Johnny D

Johnny D

Veteran Member

• Moderators
  • 6,121 posts
From Dean...
The deep 7 transition is too abrupt and the cars go airborne. The dirt is totally awesome and I want to race it. Visibility is enough of a problem that we decided that because of the risk of car to car contact, we don't want to force people into running. We're still exploring the possibility of an optional exhibition race using the dirt config at the end of the day.
There were probably 30 or 40 spectators all cheering while we were testing!

dp35

dp35

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 156 posts
  • Region:SF
  • Car Number:51

From Dean...
There were probably 30 or 40 spectators all cheering while we were testing!

Noteworthy.

Exhibition race at the end of the day? I love it, but Isn't the SM/SE30 race already at the end of the day?
Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Survivalist - Won 25 Hours at Thunderhill! We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations!

RazerX

RazerX

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 318 posts
  • Region:N. Cal
  • Car Number:11
yeah, fuel up and go back out..

I like the option/practice aspect and great way to warm people up to it, in a lower pressue situation.

- Speed

We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill - Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Johnny D

Johnny D

Veteran Member

• Moderators
  • 6,121 posts

yeah, fuel up and go back out..

I like the option/practice aspect and great way to warm people up to it, in a lower pressue situation.

Since we're looking at the off road part how about turn left at 7 and repeat. Short track.
J~

Elliott Skeer

Elliott Skeer

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 81 posts
  • Region:Nor/So Cal
  • Car Number:17
At this point throw a Mega Jump in and have cars go under the ramp X-Games style! Fans will love that even more!
"Punk Ass Kid" -Track HQ's top SM contributor.
Working to call myself a GT driver.
Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations!

dtfastbear

dtfastbear

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 297 posts
  • Region:NorCal
*sigh* It's really too bad we can't do this, because that dirt section was FUN FUN FUN! Video will be ready in about 30 minutes and I'll post it. The visibility was terrible, as Burgoon predicted. We have access to a water truck, but as others mentioned, a little too much and we would have had a mud problem. Laura got sideways and slid to a stop in the middle and it was clear that with a full field, she probably would have been a pinball. But, Bennett and Tim Barber were heads up and drove around her. Jim Bucha, Bennett, Kyle, Tyler, Laura, Jaime and I (and a couple other E30's) went out and tested both the Deep T7 and the dirt section. The Infineon folks were super accomodating and honestly, seemed disappointed that we decided not to race it.

The grass section really wasn't bumpy nor rocky, the visibility was the only real issue. Well, that and that it was clear that if you weren't careful, there could be carnage.

After the testing, we all gathered in the pit lane for a meeting to decide what to do. Judgment was the better part of valor and while we'll change up the configurations both days this weekend, the grass section and the Deep T7 won't be part of the track.

I am still going to encourage Jerry to run a short exhibition race with the grass section, as getting a dozen or so cars to run an "oval" through the dirt, around the carousel, left onto the chute and back into the dirt would be GREAT. I guarantee we'd get 100 spectators on the hill right by the chute who would go CRAZY for it! We'll see...

Dean

Former driver

Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

dtfastbear

dtfastbear

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 297 posts
Laura playing in the dirt.

(will be finished converting by 10pm pacific)

Former driver

Ron Alan

Ron Alan

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,732 posts
  • Car Year:1995
:lol: good decision to run the same old boring world class track! But for sure this would have been a fan favorite...not so much a driver :o

Rumor has it Elliot was fast today! Should be a good race weekend!

Ron

RAmotorsports

Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Charlie Hayes

Charlie Hayes

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 513 posts
  • Region:West Coast
  • Car Number:22
I never doubted driving in the dirt would be fun, it can just yield unwanted damage. I am very exited to see what config they pull out of the hat tomorrow. I would like to see the chute with the Russell chicane used for one of them. Maybe just the regular config with the Russell turn in it.
Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill - Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill

Sean Allen

Sean Allen

My title is unique

• SMembers
  • PipPipPip
  • 96 posts
  • Region:SFR
Wow, NASA usually pulls some crazy track configs (like swapping directions mid race awhile back at thill), but running a dirt section... that's wild! More for a Chump/Lemons race though, I don't know how I would feel about doing that in a spec miata.
Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Brian Ghidinelli

Brian Ghidinelli

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 465 posts
  • Car Number:12
You guys must be running cheap stocker radiators! Funny, you hear the first SE30 go by with light throttle when Laura spins but TFB is bouncing off the rev limiter. :)
Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill - Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

dtfastbear

dtfastbear

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 297 posts
Kyle, Skeer and Craig Evans put on a great show this afternoon with Skeer and Evans pulling away in the second half of the race. Craig got by Skeer in some E30 traffic exiting the carousel on the next to last lap and held on the for win with Skeer peeking his nose in on the final turn, but wisely keeping the Teen Challenge points as his priority and not forcing the issue. Great, clean racing! Congrats to Craig who dramatically increased his chances of winning the NorCal championship with a commanding win over the other drivers in the points chase.

Great racing, guys and gals!

Wonder what Sunday hold for surprises?

Cheers,

Dean

Former driver

Charlie Hayes

Charlie Hayes

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 513 posts
  • Region:West Coast
  • Car Number:22
Sucks I wanted to bring a p1 car and had a p6 car. There is always tomorrow but after getting freight trained by a ssm multiple times I realized there is nothing to do.

Great job Craig. Wish I had more to give.
Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill - Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill

Phillip Holifield

Phillip Holifield

• SMembers
  • PipPipPip
  • 36 posts
  • Region:SFR
  • Car Year:1990
  • Car Number:20
I missed today's race.. what happened?
We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users