123 replies to this topic

Ron Alan

Ron Alan

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,732 posts
  • Car Year:1995
Evans, Skeer, Kyle L, Jamie. Tyler found the wall in 11 during qualifying and was done for the weekend and the teen challenge...really a shame. Skeer led the whole race with Craig always within striking distance. Elliot had to check at 9 I believe for a spinning car and Craig got a run on him coming down to 11 and took the lead with 1 to go. They came out of the last corner and drag raced to start finish with Evens winning by a few feet. Kyle L started P2 but at the start came into 2 on the ouside a little hot and went 4 wheels off...kept it out of the tires and came back on around 11th...fought his way back to 3rd. They ran the NASCAR config which made for a lot of laps.

Very interesting for all the SCCA guys that follow the NASA guys...the 2 top NB cars this weekend ran faster times in practice than anyone during our SCCA weekend...and that was with their small restrictor plates!! Granted, it's hard to compare times on different days given varied track conditions but these times were as fast as any I've heard of in the last 2 years.

Big congrats to Elliot for getting it done for the Teen challenge :clap: A very nice young man with great skills and attitude! Best of luck to you in the Mazda shootout competition!

Ron

RAmotorsports

Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Jaime Florence

Jaime Florence

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 115 posts
  • Region:West Coast
  • Car Year:1993
  • Car Number:96
That was a tough weekend. I was super bummed to see Tyler go out like that. I was really hoping to see him and Elliott battle it out to the end.

Congradulation Elliott!!! What an unbelievable first season!

Saturday I sucked, and ran alone (time trials style) in 5th. Sunday, with the NASCAR configuration I at least had a chance to be a little closer to the front but Elliott and Craig were freakin gone. Both of those two are unbelievable in traffic. I had a solid third place in my hands until lap 10 when my alternator quit. I started losing power fast and quickly became a rolling chicane. I almost made it to the white flag...but that was it. I had not idea what was going wrong at the time, but in hind site I should have shut EVERYTHING off (radio, cool suite, data-dash) and I might have made it to the end.

I'm not giving up but it looks like Craig Evans has this one in the bag.
We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill - Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill NASA Champs Winner - NASA Champs Winner Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Charlie Hayes

Charlie Hayes

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 513 posts
  • Car Year:1999
  • Car Number:22
I really love that NASCAR chute. It really wasn't my weekend, Sunday I lost a starter or ignition switch. I had to push start the car for everything and lost the trans in the race. It was a pain to down shift into 2nd and upshift to 3rd, finally getting locked into 3rd only a few laps in. Car felt great all weekend except some oomph.
Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill - Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill

Elliott Skeer

Elliott Skeer

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 81 posts
  • Region:Nor/So Cal
  • Car Number:17
Jeez I just got home! That's one hell of a trip, but totally worth it! Infineon=New favorite track! Felt good Saturday and just focused on beating the 85, had a great time going through traffic with Craig, which became my demise on the 2nd to last lap <_< BUT, had an amazing day! Sunday was my 1st time driving NASCAR and holy cow that apex curb! :o Such an amazing track!

It was really bittersweet with Tyler, I really wanted to win but not like that. I would have done almost anything to try and fix that car so we could go have a fair fight. But...Thats racing.

Great job to everybody and a BIG thank you to everybody in NASA Nor Cal. Such an amazing group of people and I always feel welcomed to come up and race :)

Just have to go and Do Werk at the shootout! And win or lose I'm still doing some NASA Nor Cal races (and dragging some more So Cal players up for some extra excitement!!)

Thanks for an amazing year everyone!!!
"Punk Ass Kid" -Track HQ's top SM contributor.
Working to call myself a GT driver.
Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations!

dtfastbear

dtfastbear

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 297 posts
  • Region:NorCal
Lot's of congrats to go around, and I'll take the time to write up a full report of my observations soon... but in the mean time, here's Laura's rear-facing camera footage of the Sunday race. Lot's of great offs and general craziness in her wake... coincidence??

Cheers,

Dean

Former driver

Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

dp35

dp35

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 156 posts
  • Region:SF
  • Car Number:51
Congrats Elliott!
Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Survivalist - Won 25 Hours at Thunderhill! We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations!

Ron Alan

Ron Alan

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,732 posts
Dean,

What is the rear facing camera you use? Very cool video especially with the NASCAR config...turn 4 wall sure goes by awful close! Any baby blue paint on the car? Was right above that on the hill and wasn't sure if they made contact or not...lots of tire smoke!

Jamie, sorry to hear of your car problems. Missed you not finishing the race but new you were in 4th after Kyle went by. Need a back up alternator? ;)

Ron

RAmotorsports

Johnny D

Johnny D

Veteran Member

• Moderators
  • 6,121 posts
  • Region:San Francisco
  • Car Number:88
Sorry about the Audio/Video Sink.

David was sorry.
Kiwi owes me one.
Dennis and Patrick I think had a good time.
Heart break at the end.
Good times, that's racing.
J~
  • Charlie Hayes likes this
2011 NASA Western Endurance Racing Championship E3 Champ
We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Beta-Tester - Assisted us with beta testing the website. Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Novel Approach - When a paragraph simply won't do... Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill - Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+

Charlie Hayes

Charlie Hayes

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 513 posts
What a second off from pole looks like. :crying2: Need to bring more to the table next time with myself and the car.

Still had a great time racing this past weekend. Awesome to see the Socal boys up here they are just too damn fast. Sad to see Vance end the weekend that way. I would have liked to see the two of them really have to duke it out. See everybody in a few weeks. :glare:
Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill - Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill

Charlie Hayes

Charlie Hayes

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 513 posts
Johnny you had some action in that first lap!!!

Johnny D

Johnny D

Veteran Member

• Moderators
  • 6,121 posts
  • Region:San Francisco
  • Car Number:88
Dennis pinching on the right.
David wanting by on the left.
I left 3/4 and there was plenty of dirt.

I had caught them at the end and then just blew it in 11. :banghead:
J~
2011 NASA Western Endurance Racing Championship E3 Champ
We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Beta-Tester - Assisted us with beta testing the website. Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Novel Approach - When a paragraph simply won't do... Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill - Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+

Jaime Florence

Jaime Florence

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 115 posts
I looked back at my data to see when the alternator started to fail. It actually started to fail half way through qualifying on Saturday. Had I been on my game I would have checked my Channels Report from my data and seen the problem with tons of time to resolve it before it cost me. Dean even told me on Sunday that I need to be checking Channels Report after every session and that he had caught a bad alternator this way! Unbelievable luck!

The video isn't all that interesting, except that you can see the results of an alternator failure and I have the Voltage data for each lap. Here is the video:

Here is the Voltage and what was going through my head as the failure started to show up:
Lap 1 : 10.6
Lap 2 : 10.8
Lap 3 : 10.6
Lap 4 : 10.6
Lap 5 : 10.5
Lap 6 : 10.5
Lap 7 : 10.3
Lap 8 : 10.2
Lap 9 : 10.0
Lap 10 : 9.6 (Is something wrong?…but is it in my head?)
Lap 11 : 9.1 (Something is definately wrong.)
Lap 12 : 8.6 (Something is really wrong…are the brakes dragging?)
Lap 13 : 8.1 (Oh, I’m screwed!)
Lap 14 : 7.5 (Is my motor going to blow up?....Will I make it to the checkered flag?...Throw the checker!!!)
Lap 15 : 6.8 (Oh man, I’m done.)
We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill - Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill NASA Champs Winner - NASA Champs Winner Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

dtfastbear

dtfastbear

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 297 posts
Ron,

It's a Contour HD. Very affordable, incredible video quality, easy to use and Juan Pineda is a dealer! Highly recommended.

Cheers,

Dean

Former driver

Ron Alan

Ron Alan

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,732 posts
It seems to have a narrower field of vision but relative distance seems to be more accurate than the GoPro...objects may be closer than they appear syndrome. But maybe it's just me?

Ron

RAmotorsports

Macgiver

Macgiver

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 43 posts
  • Region:Northern California
  • Car Year:1990
  • Car Number:17
Hey Charlie,
I think its me who needs to bring more to the table next time!!!!! Couldnt stay with you! Thought I had you on the start

dtfastbear

dtfastbear

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 297 posts
To that end...

Former driver

ToddW

ToddW

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 71 posts
  • Car Year:1992
  • Car Number:67
Aaron,
Thanks for sharing your video.
How was your passenger side mirror adjustment after T2 on the start? :)

Charlie Hayes

Charlie Hayes

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 513 posts
Damn I was kinda close to that wall on the exit of the chute. Great video Aaron!

KyleLoustaunau

KyleLoustaunau

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 71 posts
  • Region:sfr
  • Car Year:1990
  • Car Number:89
My Sunday race
I went into turn 2 too hot (what a jackass) came back on track in 12th place and worked my way up to 3rd.
We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Jaime Florence

Jaime Florence

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 115 posts
Kyle,

Thanks for posting your video. Great drive!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users