dmathias

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 512 posts
  • Region:GreatLakes
  • Car Year:1991
  • Car Number:88
I'd be all for enforcing a power/weight ratio limit. NASA does it for AIX already, I see a dyno at every NASA race at Mid-O. Why not for SM?

Edit: engine claim rule will have me running for another class. These ain't gokarts and I ain't spending a day R-n-R'ing my motor.
The enemy of good is better.
Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other

TJKearney

TJKearney

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 37 posts
  • Region:Finger Lakes
  • Car Year:1992
  • Car Number:85

in my experience 90% of the cheating is done in the mid pack. The guys at the front expect technical inspections, so it keeps most in line. Most in the middle assume the guys at the front are cheating so they must as well to keep up.

Keep pointing fingers...it's the easiest bullshit excuse there is in racing. The fast guys just know 90% of you lowly mid-packers are cheating, and the mid-packers just assume the local hotshoe has an aura that follows them around the paddock...and his shit doesn't smell....like Gorilla dung.

Seriously though...really Jim? My personal opinion is the cheating is evenly distributed throughout the field. But the "haves" know the gray areas and have scapegoats (pretty much defacto standard is when anyone gets blown in at a National the "it wasn't me" email/post comes out a few days later and all the fanboys rub each others backsides). The "have nots" don't know any better and just fire up the Nitrous bottle....the end game is the same. Both are spending money the class doesn't need.

Just one "slightly better than mid-packer's" opinion
  • pat slattery likes this

Danny Steyn

Danny Steyn

Zulu rain warrior

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,439 posts
  • Region:FL
  • Car Year:1999
  • Car Number:39
Colin

The economy has had a HUGE effect on everyone's discretionary income, and must not be ignored when looking at car counts. Every class has been affected. Its not only the issues that we are adressing here that have hurt out numbers

However it does not negate anything that you posted.

I still come back to my theory that in the beginning, all is good. When something matures, some of the shine comes off the apple.

SM is still the best game in town - so lets not just fix it, lets make it better - where are the suggestions guys

SUGGESTION LIST SO FAR
  • Stop changing the spec - try and get to a sensible spec quickly and hold it for at least a few years - regular spec rule changes are not good for the class
  • Close the gap between NASA and SCCA - find a middle ground on weight and restrictor size
  • Close the parity issue between 1.6 and 99 - this is really hard as it is SO TRACK DEPENDENT
  • Increase tech or the rampant cheating will escalate - I vote for returning the $10 tech compliance fee to tech NOT ONLY THE FRONT, but also RANDOM MID PACK racers
  • Horsepower Cap?
  • Split 90-97 Regional - 99+ National?
  • Engine claim rule?

• any more suggestions???

Danny
Danny Steyn Racing | DSR YouTube Channel
Danny Steyn Photography | Adept Studios | Ocean MachineryOPM AutosportsRossini Racing Engines | G-Loc Brakes | 

2 x SCCA Runoffs Champ | 1 x NASA National Champ | 6 x June Sprints Champ | 10 x ARRC Champ

1 x SCCA Super Sweep | 2 x Triple Crown | 4 x Hoosier Super Tour Points Champ | 6 x Majors Points Champ | 5 x SEDiv Driver of the Year

June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata ARRC Champion - Won the ARRC Race in a Spec Miata We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver NASA Champs Winner - NASA Champs Winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner ARRC Champion - Won the ARRC Race in a Spec Miata ARRC Champion - Won the ARRC Race in a Spec Miata Majors Winner - BFG Supertour Winner -

Tom Sager

Tom Sager

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,693 posts
  • Region:Central
  • Car Year:1996
  • Car Number:94

Keep pointing fingers...it's the easiest bullshit excuse there is in racing. The fast guys just know 90% of you lowly mid-packers are cheating, and the mid-packers just assume the local hotshoe has an aura that follows them around the paddock...and his shit doesn't smell....like Gorilla dung.

Seriously though...really Jim? My personal opinion is the cheating is evenly distributed throughout the field. But the "haves" know the gray areas and have scapegoats (pretty much defacto standard is when anyone gets blown in at a National the "it wasn't me" email/post comes out a few days later and all the fanboys rub each others backsides). The "have nots" don't know any better and just fire up the Nitrous bottle....the end game is the same. Both are spending money the class doesn't need.

I think there is still a sizeable population of cars out there that would benefit greatly from a dyno session with an experienced tuner and a short alignment session with an experienced setup person. I don't get a close look at too many cars other than my own but when I have had the opportunity I have seen a variety of things that would be simple and inexpensive to correct or improve.
Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+

Jim Drago

Jim Drago

East Street Racing / 2 Time National Champion

• Administrators
  • 6,566 posts
  • Region:Mid South
  • Car Year:2005
  • Car Number:2

I didn't realize my "opinion" could be wrong :) I have started several races at the back and often get to a car or two that I have more problems passing than most at the front. Do people cheat every where in the field, sure they do. Really doesn't even matter where the cheating occurs. I also believe there is far less cheating than most do.
Jim

East Street Auto Parts
Jim@Eaststreet.com
800 700 9080

NASA Champs Winner - NASA Champs Winner Hoosier Super Tour points Champion - Hoosier Super Tour points Champion ARRC Champion - Won the ARRC Race in a Spec Miata Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata BFG Supertour Winner - Majors Winner - Circuit of the Americas Winner - We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner SCCA National Champion - Won SCCA Runoffs at Road America SCCA National Champion - Won SCCA Runoffs at Road America

dstevens

dstevens

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,404 posts
  • Region:LVR

I agree and that echoes my experiences racing other spec series. The difference is in the extent of the "gains" in engines. You aren't going to get a 120 or 130 HP sealed engine when San Francisco region adjusts and seals out of the box and regular street motors at ~113HP for a flat ~$300 fee. I would think that it really should NOT be that hard to implement something similar elsewhere...

Really it would only be more expensive for the guys looking to spend money regardless. They can go and buy 5 motors that chances are will be within a few HP of each other. The rest of the field would pay the fee to get sealed or buy one new sealed motor when their current sealed motor dies and be happy to compete with our buds in our region.

In fact that worked so well in the SFR that the dude in SSM that had his engine sealed then went out an set not only an SSM track record but an SM record as well. And that was with undisclosed tunings above the seal. Sealed engines don't increase parity. I've seen cheats in sealed packages including Rotax, Legends and SBC 602 crates. Tech does. There is basically no tech at most races yet people wonder why guys are using cheater or gray market parts? Finish top 5 in a race? Better bring some tools. I think to the goal of limiting HP and perhaps getting a handle on who is doing what that a dyno in tech would go a long way toward that rather than sealing the engines.

Bench Racer

Bench Racer

Different strokes for different folks : )

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,508 posts
  • Region:Milwaukee
  • Car Year:1990
  • Car Number:14
Folks, I'm reading these posts with great interest & I believe some of you should sit back & remember at this point this should be brain storming. I been retired so long I don't remember the second phase of the process. Might be discussion after all the thoughts are on the table. :scratchchin:

The point being when some of you are starting your positive or negative pick apart of what others are throwing into the process, your backing some number of people up & some people will not participate.:unsure:

Ya, some of you are all reading/thinking here comes that confrontational ol @#*%. :wacko: Hey, were all cut from different cloth.
Broken record - You are starting to sound like a broken record. Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

JBlaisdell

JBlaisdell

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 88 posts
  • Region:83
  • Car Year:2001
  • Car Number:65

Jim Blaisdell
G$ Munson Driver Coaching Student/Client
jblaisdell65@gmail.com

dstevens

dstevens

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,404 posts

I would be willing to wager you'll be packing your bags and heading to Texas after the contract at Road American ends if you want to participate in the Runoffs.

You mean the roval at TMS? Or are you thinking someplace further south with better music and BBQ? ;)

I've taken a couple of CotA surveys and one thing I put when they asked what other types of races there should be I said club sports car racing.

naparsei

naparsei

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 17 posts
  • Car Number:#38

SUGGESTION LIST SO FAR

• Stop changing the spec - try and get to a sensible spec quickly and hold it for at least a few years - regular spec rule changes are not good for the class
  • Close the gap between NASA and SCCA - find a middle ground on weight and restrictor size
  • Close the parity issue between 1.6 and 99 - this is really hard as it is SO TRACK DEPENDENT
  • Increase tech or the rampant cheating will escalate - I vote for returning the $10 tech compliance fee to tech NOT ONLY THE FRONT, but also RANDOM MID PACK racers
  • Horsepower Cap?
  • Split 90-97 Regional - 99+ National?
  • Engine claim rule?

I agree with the first 4. Horsepower Cap seems like a Mickey Mouse way to solve the problem; if tech gets more aggressive, cheating should go down. Splitting the classes? I am not sure - then if you want to do both you need 2 cars? And in regional there is a still a "better" and "worse" car depending on the track? Engine claim rule I would be against - easy to see how it increases cost and decreases fun.

I just want to race, and feel like when I measure my performance against others in this Spec classes it is a legitimate comparison - not just in terms of position but lap times. I agree the winners would win regardless, but my $10K car vs. $30K car doesn't tell me as much about my skill relative to theirs, only that's worse - but not by how much.

Sure the economy is impacting all car counts. That's why being to race in SCCA, NASA, and anywhere else with 1 car which doesn't need to be reconfigured will help SM be "strong" where other classes are "weak".

5X Racing

5X Racing

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 97 posts
  • Region:Florida
  • Car Year:2002
  • Car Number:5
Here's a concept for mulling since it seems there's a HUGE dividing line amongst the guys willing (and able) to spend big bucks at nationals, and the guys that think that's absurd (and are not willing or able to spend big bucks):

Along the lines of Colin's idea of splitting the class NA/NB: Is creating a "regional only" SM class with only NA cars and calling it "Regional only SM" and keeping it a regional class, much like the way SM started, and then keeping the current SM rules the way they are now and as it continues, and calling it "National only SM" too far fetched? The guys who don't want to spend tons of money on a car can run in the Regional Only SM with their NA cars and be competitive, AND in addition "up-class" and run in National SM if they wanted to (albeit with the knowledge and acceptance that they are not going to be competitive and it is just for fun). Then the "National SM" guys have their own class to develop their cars in a competitive, relative environment cannot "down-class" and have to stay in the National SM class with the knowledge that that class is NA only.

Jim D and Bruce said it themselves, they typically "do not to use their National cars in a Regional race". So, it seems there is already a separation between the Top National runners and the "for fun" regional runners, why not make it an actual separation and give the budget guys what they want and the all out competition National Championship gunners what they want? Almost like a major and minor league type of environment.

Just a thought that promotes having your cake and eating it too...

John Adamczyk
Owner/Driver - 5X Racing

dstevens

dstevens

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,404 posts

Edit: engine claim rule will have me running for another class. These ain't gokarts and I ain't spending a day R-n-R'ing my motor.

Regional and national/international karting haven't had claim rules in quite sometime. Local club races may have them but by and large claimer rules are out. National, big league karting is "all growed up now". Some can easily spend $50k plus on programs a year and for the ones that go overseas it can be $100k. It ain't your daddy's Flathead anymore...

James York

James York

AKA Cajun Miata Man; Overdog Driver

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 898 posts
  • Region:Houston
  • Car Year:2003
  • Car Number:03

You mean the roval at TMS? Or are you thinking someplace further south with better music and BBQ? ;)

I've taken a couple of CotA surveys and one thing I put when they asked what other types of races there should be I said club sports car racing.

Yea, about 3 hours south.

James York

sponsored by:
Stan's Auto Center, Lafayette LA