Alberto

Alberto

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,471 posts
  • Region:SFR
  • Car Year:1990

In my opinion, this is an incredibly myopic view.

I know a few of the guys who have been involved in rules making (Mueller at NASA, Drago & Fowler at SCCA). Those guys don't make rules for self interest. Even if they could or would, think for just a second about the size of the market they serve in SM vs the size of the market of their REAL businesses.

The hours and hours and hours they burn on rule making would be so much better spent by them - from a capitalist's perspective - on their real businesses. Why do they do it? They love the sport. They love the clubs.

None of these guys are getting rich from ANY part of SM. I think it is insulting to imply otherwise.

You want the racers to make the rules? Guess what. They do. These guys are racers to the core.

It's already a thankless job. Let's not be insulting on top of that.

Sorry. Not trying to be insulting. Apologies if it came off that way. I've got nothing against Jim or others who "liked" your post. I don't know any of you or your characters and my comment was not directed to any.

On the flip side, I've seen that as an issue in other racing series in which I participated. I'm not being myopic as much as sharing a concern from past experience. Conflicts of interest can exist. Do they exist here? I have no idea but I hope not. The overboring debate as well as the proposal of spec'ing of the 99 suspension bits into the NA chassis are examples of proposals that give me concern about people's motivations.

I think the class is awesome and the rule set is great. It could be better with better rules enforcement and a tighter rules on motors. Built motors is not in line with a SPEC class IMO.
Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Caveman-kwebb99

Caveman-kwebb99

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,062 posts
  • Region:Great lakes
  • Car Year:2000
  • Car Number:99

The overboring debate as well as the proposal of spec'ing of the 99 suspension bits into the NA chassis are examples of proposals that give me concern about people's motivations.

Never saw a rule suggested that required anyone to overbore? So if rule passes just dont take advantage of the (no advantage rule). I have heard more than 1,1.6er cry the blues about their suspension is not good enough and that the 99 has a big advantage there. IMO and I dont know this for sure seems that rule was suggested to fix that problem or percieved problem. I have no idea as I have never even driven a 1.6 street miata.

K. Webb
Powered by East Street Racing (Best engines in Spec Miata)

Driver coach, Spec Miata Prep shop, Spec Miata Setup

2016 Hard Charger award passing 12 cars runoffs 2016 Mid Ohio

2016 P3 RUNOFFS OVER 40 DIVISION LOL!

2015 First consolation prize Northern Conference Majors Title Pageant
2015 Winner Circus Cat Majors Road America

2015 Winner BlackHawk Majors crash fest

My Signature is still not as long as Danny boy's

Donor - Made PayPal donation Majors Winner - Chatterbox - Blah blah blah... Blah blah blah Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+

AJ Roderick

AJ Roderick

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 348 posts
  • Region:Neohio
  • Car Year:1999
  • Car Number:56

• Event directors have no interest in the trouble a teardown brings at a regional level. They do not want people getting pissed and never coming back because they spent their party time rebuilding the top end of their engine, putting a tranny or rear end back in, or whatever the case is. They need happy participants to stay in business, teardowns are nervous and volatile times for racers as Jim D said, how many weekends do you submit to a teardown before it's not fun anymore? You'll actually lose people if consistent teardowns are done on the regional level, which is why a National 99+ SM and a NA Regional SM would work better. National guys are willing, able, and agreeable to a teardown at every race because the National scene is more like "semi-pro" racing. It costs more, there's a higher level of competition, more bragging rights, contingencies, and a more serious, competitive nature'd attitude.

Teardowns shouldn't be nervous unless you know you have something that shouldn't be there. With my past experience with karting, I would take my motor to the tech shed and not worry one bit because I know I had a legal motor. The WKA Gold Cup went through a similar situation like this where an engine builder was playing in some gray areas and the tech wasn't in depth enough. I saw more people leave because of the lack of tech rather than having to tear down every race. Granted the karts are a lot easier to put back together after tech.
We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Blake Thompson

Blake Thompson

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 402 posts
  • Region:Central
  • Car Year:1991
  • Car Number:137

Having the event at any one track for two long always gives a home advantage.

home advantage! Holy buckets.

BTDTRacing, LLC - ISellMiataParts.com

"I'm not making any money doing this, I'm purely doing it out of ego." - Paul Tracy

2011 Midwestern Council Spec Miata series champion

2015 Winner, SM - Midwestern Council: A Legen-Dairy Enduro, Co-Driver Stephanie Andersen

2015 Winner, ITA - Midwestern Council, Blackhawk Formula Festival

We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Donor - Made PayPal donation Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Blake Thompson

Blake Thompson

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 402 posts
  • Region:Central
  • Car Year:1991
  • Car Number:137

So, here's a challenge for all of the big shots, casual readers, and especially the "first time posters" out there, list the reasons why YOU got involved in SM?

I built my first car with a friend, that we shared, for <$7500. We were "top of mid pack" at regional races and had a blast. It was also cheaper per minute than any autocross weekend. We even drove the car to each event... that is till we built that first motor then we figured it was a bad idea :)

BTDTRacing, LLC - ISellMiataParts.com

"I'm not making any money doing this, I'm purely doing it out of ego." - Paul Tracy

2011 Midwestern Council Spec Miata series champion

2015 Winner, SM - Midwestern Council: A Legen-Dairy Enduro, Co-Driver Stephanie Andersen

2015 Winner, ITA - Midwestern Council, Blackhawk Formula Festival

We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Donor - Made PayPal donation Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Alex Bolanos

Alex Bolanos

The Cuban Missile

• SMembers
  • PipPipPip
  • 355 posts
  • Region:FL
  • Car Year:1999
  • Car Number:57

Posted Imagekwebb, on 10-13-2011 04:26 PM, said:

There is another +1,000,000 lots of honest SM'er in my opinion, being fast does not equal cheater!

Correct and to piggy back on that, here are some bullet points based on my experiences so far in SM:

Pre disclaimers: I own a '99 and a '94, I've (been luck enough to have) driven many examples of SMs at various levels of prep including 1.6s, 1.8s, and 99s in NASA FL, SCCA SE, regionals, nationals, SARRCs, etc, everything below is highly opinionated but based on my observations, Jamie Tucker is a midget, etc.

-Cheating happens in racing, rule books and enforcement must either keep up or be thrown out.
-Cheating is typically inversely proportional to qualifying position, as Jim mentioned the mid pack houses some incredibly interesting sounding and performing cars. What would you do to your car if you knew you'd NEVER have to take it apart in front of someone? Come race a regional at Daytona some day...
-Tech inspection in FL is typically limited to weight and rarely plates which is disappointing, I am now spoiled by the job that both SCCA and NASA did at their respective championship events and think that we really need to work on enforcement of the current rules at rational events.
-The benefit of magic ECUs has been largely eliminated by the opening of FP/Timing, open ECUs would be a HUGE mistake (traction control, sky high rev limiters, engine braking, 3 or 4 fuel maps, etc)
-Parity is very good at most flat tracks as long as attention is paid to the level of prep of the cars, this is often overlooked and the 99 gets a bad wrap because they're typically better prepped (I'm guilty of this myself with my own two cars)
-The weights of the 4 generations need to be closer, it's frustrating to have to screw with a delta of 170lbs of ballast between a 1.6 and 99 when driving different cars.
-There is no need to regulate how many sets of tires people bring, you would laugh at some of the shit tires the Autotechnik crew runs typically. I would argue that at most regionals here in FL, the mid pack has better tires than the front.

Flame away ;)
  • Jim Drago likes this

Alex Bolanos - #57 
Sponsored by Autotechnik, Momo USA, Apex Alignment, and Amazon.com

Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Majors Winner - We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! NASA Champs Winner - NASA Champs Winner

Rob Burgoon

Rob Burgoon

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,465 posts
  • Car Year:1995
  • Car Number:91
How about pooling some compliance money to put in a 30 car field say... 3 cars from the top 8 and 2 cars from the rest onto the dyno and post the hp, tq, and afr curves publicly and online? That could be done for less than $10 an entry in my region.

No actions from dyno results alone, but extend the protest period until an hour after the final dyno run is posted.

If you smell blood, throw paper.

Thoughts?
Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill - Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations!

Caveman-kwebb99

Caveman-kwebb99

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,062 posts

How about pooling some compliance money to put in a 30 car field say... 3 cars from the top 8 and 2 cars from the rest onto the dyno and post the hp, tq, and afr curves publicly and online? That could be done for less than $10 an entry in my region.

No actions from dyno results alone, but extend the protest period until an hour after the final dyno run is posted.

If you smell blood, throw paper.

Thoughts?

Well the idea sounds great, but if a fifth grader can overcome the dyno and well you know its gonna be there a cheater is gonna practice his dyno difusing strategy. I have to believe the Dyno experts when they say this stuff as I have a 4th graduate education and can think of at least two ways to defeat the dyno if I really want to. Increased tech is the only way. Problem is who wants to do it? Face it tech is more thankless than CRB :noidea:

K. Webb
Powered by East Street Racing (Best engines in Spec Miata)

Driver coach, Spec Miata Prep shop, Spec Miata Setup

2016 Hard Charger award passing 12 cars runoffs 2016 Mid Ohio

2016 P3 RUNOFFS OVER 40 DIVISION LOL!

2015 First consolation prize Northern Conference Majors Title Pageant
2015 Winner Circus Cat Majors Road America

2015 Winner BlackHawk Majors crash fest

My Signature is still not as long as Danny boy's

Donor - Made PayPal donation Majors Winner - Chatterbox - Blah blah blah... Blah blah blah Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+

JBlaisdell

JBlaisdell

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 88 posts
  • Region:83
  • Car Year:2001
  • Car Number:65

Danny, I don't think that will cure the whining because:

4/10/10 112.72 99.96
4/11/10 104.72 93.25

The 104 guy will still complain about the 112 guy and claim that he should be entitled to be competitive even though he doesn't prep his car correctly.

Alex, what is missing from this...Let's say the HP Cap for the listed cars was 115hp...then Mr. 104 can whine and cry all he wants, except he can't blame Mr. 113. Ill prepared drivers/cars will always complain, but now they can't point fingers at a legal car/driver. The big bad Lie Detector(dyno) is now the enemy, as it should be...immediate truth!!!

Jim Blaisdell
G$ Munson Driver Coaching Student/Client
jblaisdell65@gmail.com

Jim Boemler

Jim Boemler

Veteran Member

• Moderators
  • 852 posts
  • Region:NWR
  • Car Year:1992
  • Car Number:30
The "lie detector" is a great idea, "IF" it's reliable, and "IF" it's possible. My own region is totally strapped for both cash and volunteers, so any program would have to run by the SM group, and paid for from Day One by the SM group. How do we finance it? Is the group willing to pony up the volunteer time to run it? And if we do, would the results be accepted by the others in the group?

Rob Burgoon

Rob Burgoon

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,465 posts

Well the idea sounds great, but if a fifth grader can overcome the dyno and well you know its gonna be there a cheater is gonna practice his dyno difusing strategy. I have to believe the Dyno experts when they say this stuff as I have a 4th graduate education and can think of at least two ways to defeat the dyno if I really want to. Increased tech is the only way. Problem is who wants to do it? Face it tech is more thankless than CRB :noidea:

Right, but tech only happens if people throw paper. People don't want to throw paper because of the risk.

If someone is gaming the dyno, there may be clues on the AFR or curves or timing (could post that too).

Certainly if someone wants to work for it, they can probably completely beat it, but they'd have to work a little harder for it.

It would keep honest mistakes like Doug M and his 120hp ;) from going on for a long time and possibly clean up the midpack some. Could even remove the bias towards testing the front guys if you wanted.
Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill - Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations!

Rob Burgoon

Rob Burgoon

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,465 posts

The "lie detector" is a great idea, "IF" it's reliable, and "IF" it's possible. My own region is totally strapped for both cash and volunteers, so any program would have to run by the SM group, and paid for from Day One by the SM group. How do we finance it? Is the group willing to pony up the volunteer time to run it? And if we do, would the results be accepted by the others in the group?

$10 on top of each entry for 3 pulls on however many cars you can afford to do in the time your money pool buys you. And under my scheme, nothing happens if someone has a high number, it just invites paper.

Pick a region with a lot of fishy midpackers and a cheapish dyno at one of their tracks and see if they would be willing to give this a whirl. If they like it, expand the program to more regions.

I'd volunteer to personally kick this off in Socal, but I'm not convinced our fields are big enough for a good sample, or our midpackers are cheating all that much.
  • JBlaisdell and 5X Racing like this

Andrew Charbonneau

Andrew Charbonneau

Royal P.I.T.A.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 912 posts
  • Region:83
  • Car Year:1967
  • Car Number:67
Come on men and women, Too many variables involved for 6 hp to be a factor a wheel berring can be a full 1 to 2 sec. over heating can be time, one cornor can be 1 sec, total overal lap times will not show.

In my humble opinion no fear here on showing my dyno results if someone has more power I must out drive and out think my fellow racer . I have driven all types you forget that the 99 is a easyer drive than lets say 1990 but a good driver
will kick ass in a 1.6 well preped car . cars are getting closer road america hp track so you must bring hp it shows . ask danny s hey chased hp all week and finished 10th mister champ had 130 plus and drove around people.

drago had 260 hp add his hp and sg pushing him off the track. the rules makers will get it right and the cheaters will be found they still give the trophy p1 after tech and all of the last champions past tec dyno will not work .too much cost at track .
  • Gatoratty likes this
Satire is primarily a literary genre or form, although in practice it can also be found in the graphic and performing arts. In satire, vices, follies, abuses, and shortcomings are held up to ridicule, ideally with the intent of shaming individuals, and society itself, into improvement.[1] Although satire is usually meant to be funny, its greater purpose is often constructive social criticism, using wit as a weapon.
SCCA National Champion - Won SCCA Runoffs at Road America Survivalist - Won 25 Hours at Thunderhill! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other

Caveman-kwebb99

Caveman-kwebb99

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,062 posts
I think if we all just pitch in on some REALLY GOOD DOUGHNUTS, we could really attract some top notch tech people. Even if we have a field of 25 guys and they pay 10.00 each thats only $250.00 a day, if we hired a guy to do this that is before taxes if we pay him more than 600.00 we have to send him a 1099 so Uncle Sam gets his cut. I do think for $500.00 per weekend that might fetch you a pretty good mazda mechanic, but does he understand tech and racing, I am sure he could be trained, then who trains him? Just another pie int he sky IDEA I thought I might just toss out there.
  • Rob Burgoon likes this

K. Webb