Blake Thompson

Blake Thompson

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 402 posts
  • Region:Central
  • Car Year:1991
  • Car Number:137

Do we have a "shoot self in head" emoticon?

:rbuddwyer:

BTDTRacing, LLC - ISellMiataParts.com

"I'm not making any money doing this, I'm purely doing it out of ego." - Paul Tracy

2011 Midwestern Council Spec Miata series champion

2015 Winner, SM - Midwestern Council: A Legen-Dairy Enduro, Co-Driver Stephanie Andersen

2015 Winner, ITA - Midwestern Council, Blackhawk Formula Festival

We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Donor - Made PayPal donation Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

LarryKing

LarryKing

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,659 posts

You run primarily at Mid Ohio, one of the few if not only track that likes old wore out Toyos

However when the competition is on fresh Hoosiers, old Toyos don't match-up. Plus the occasional SE-Div SCCA roadtrip necessitates Hoosiers even for regionals (no open tire).
2017 - SMSE SEDiv ECR Champion
Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

john mueller

john mueller

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,075 posts
Look, I'm not picking on Pat (really), just the arguments that are being brought up. He has the onions to say what he feels and I respect that a lot AND his opinion.

Also when I made the "shout-your pie hole" comment it was directed at anyone is whining without objectivity.

Plus, when it's implied that I 'caved' you're gonna get the claws because I showed last year that I'm no lackey/yes-man/toe-the-line kind of guy... Notice that some of my biggest supporters are the dudes who were, and rightfully so killing me last year. Last year I suggested to NASA a departure from the norm and got blasted, but it worked out pretty good.

I'm not perfect but I try like hell to to remain focused on what my job is and meet the goals I'm assigned and make for myself. I try to do this while conducting myself and make decisions without personal bias or outside influence. It's hard but the freedom NASA gives me helps.

Why, the 99 at the Nasa Championship was the the fastest car there in the dry. I don't understand the change. Help me understand other than caving into SCCA. Are you now building a 99 John

Nope, I'm not building a 99 (or an 01) at this time for SM... However, I may be building one for endurance racing.

Tires & talent at the 2011 Nationals is why Alex was quick that session. If we had a dry race we may have seen a 99 on the podium (with a 1.6 and a 1.8) and a 01 in the top 10. THAT WAS THE GOAL and the 2012 rules package is no different. For NASA the 2012 changes fit all the criteria we had while getting both organizations (save the tires) on the same page.

I was trying to say that NASA should have stayed the same as 2011.

In NASA trim, 99 gain 1.5 hp and gained 10 lbs ... virtual wash The 1.6 gained 15 lbs, lost 2/3 of one hp or so You should work on your math! So Jim using your math the 10 lbs your 99 gained is equal to 1.5 hp but the 15lbs the 1.6 gained is only 2/3 of a HP.

My 2012 NASA rules adjustment goals:
  • I wanted to correct my error with the 99's 2011 minimum weight to make it achievable for more drivers
  • I was going to add weight to the 1.6 to keep weight discrepancies between the cars close (NASA goal)
  • By the end-of the 2011 season I NASA felt that the 99 need a teeny-tiny bit more power
It's a balance, it's not easy but do'able and last season helped bring it into focus pretty good. The final figures were EXACTLY what I had in mind when SMAC asked my opinion.

I also let my son keep the contingency money and the SCCA awards are certainly better.

Better contingencies, I suggest you look again? Besides, if a 1.6 is the underdog you'll not have access to them so why even try?
I think Nate cleared around $10k in cash & prizes and made it to the finals of the MX5 shootout all in the dead-dog-slow 1.6! I'm just sayin'.. Come-on, it's funny!
We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill - Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+

john mueller

john mueller

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,075 posts

However when the competition is on fresh Hoosiers, old Toyos don't match-up. Plus the occasional SE-Div SCCA roadtrip necessitates Hoosiers even for regionals (no open tire).

Jim was talking about NASA events at Mid-O... Old ratty tires are cheap.
We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill - Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+

LarryKing

LarryKing

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,659 posts
IMO the whole "old Toyos at Mid-O" thing is a myth, nothing beats fresh rubber, anywhere.

[edit: I've no shortage of old, ratty Toyos.]

Caveman-kwebb99

Caveman-kwebb99

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,062 posts
  • Region:Great lakes
  • Car Year:2000
  • Car Number:99

IMO the whole "old Toyos at Mid-O" thing is a myth, nothing beats fresh rubber, anywhere.

I can assure you it is NO MYTH! :blush2:

K. Webb
Powered by East Street Racing (Best engines in Spec Miata)

Driver coach, Spec Miata Prep shop, Spec Miata Setup

2016 Hard Charger award passing 12 cars runoffs 2016 Mid Ohio

2016 P3 RUNOFFS OVER 40 DIVISION LOL!

2015 First consolation prize Northern Conference Majors Title Pageant
2015 Winner Circus Cat Majors Road America

2015 Winner BlackHawk Majors crash fest

My Signature is still not as long as Danny boy's

Donor - Made PayPal donation Majors Winner - Chatterbox - Blah blah blah... Blah blah blah Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+

Mike Collins

Mike Collins

Big Cheese

• Moderators
  • 1,262 posts
  • Region:Washington DC
  • Car Number:75

Remember the old "Keep on Truckin' " shirts from the 70's? Some of you are too wet behind the ears to remember these...

Weekend Warrior Racing will be printing the "Keep on Bitchin' " shirt. I need a pic of Pat.... :D Maybe include the Mazdaracers.com address on it as well....
They will sell for $20 and the profits will go the ALS Association.

I want one!
Mike "MEATHEAD" Collins
Founder - Partner
MEATHEADRacing
240-476-1593

www.meatheadracing.com
Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+ Sponsor / Advertiser - Site sponsor / advertiser... support these guys! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Sugar Daddy - Made PayPal donation of $500+ Donor - Made PayPal donation Beta-Tester - Assisted us with beta testing the website. MX5 Cup Participant - Has Participated in a MX5Cup.com Series Event Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other

Jim Drago

Jim Drago

East Street Racing / 2 Time National Champion

• Administrators
  • 6,566 posts
  • Region:Mid South
  • Car Year:2005
  • Car Number:2

I agree with you 100% evertywhere except at that track. New rubber will grain so badly the tire will look like skin graphs on a burn victim.. New or even fresh Toyos will be off 1-2 seconds a lap. I have seen it first hand several times... IMO.. the Toyos tires for MId Ohio are have been run a few sessions and have sat at least a month since running. they should also be 2/32 or less. If you have some old 2/32 tires with 3-4 sessions on them, they should be gold for NASA races there. I haven't been there in awhile, so other cans correct me if I am wrong ( I'm sure they will )
Jim

East Street Auto Parts
Jim@Eaststreet.com
800 700 9080

NASA Champs Winner - NASA Champs Winner Hoosier Super Tour points Champion - Hoosier Super Tour points Champion ARRC Champion - Won the ARRC Race in a Spec Miata Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata BFG Supertour Winner - Majors Winner - Circuit of the Americas Winner - We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner SCCA National Champion - Won SCCA Runoffs at Road America SCCA National Champion - Won SCCA Runoffs at Road America

LarryKing

LarryKing

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,659 posts
How about 2-year-old, 50+ heat cycle Toyos? (a good reflection on my tire budget)

Caveman-kwebb99

Caveman-kwebb99

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,062 posts
Flat bald is the fastest. Got me the pole for the Dbl Nat. against Bednarz, Manning, Steyn, Fowler and more. I have found about 10-14 cycle tires are undoubtably the fastest at MO. bought some 2006 tires that were about 1/32 for nothing and ran within .5 of my fastest time in a Drivers Ed while just doing some testing.

K. Webb
Powered by East Street Racing (Best engines in Spec Miata)

Driver coach, Spec Miata Prep shop, Spec Miata Setup

2016 Hard Charger award passing 12 cars runoffs 2016 Mid Ohio

2016 P3 RUNOFFS OVER 40 DIVISION LOL!

2015 First consolation prize Northern Conference Majors Title Pageant
2015 Winner Circus Cat Majors Road America

2015 Winner BlackHawk Majors crash fest

My Signature is still not as long as Danny boy's

Donor - Made PayPal donation Majors Winner - Chatterbox - Blah blah blah... Blah blah blah Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+

Caveman-kwebb99

Caveman-kwebb99

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,062 posts

How about 2-year-old, 50+ heat cycle Toyos? (a good reflection on my tire budget)

If you don't want them I will take them off your hands.

K. Webb