George Munson

George Munson

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 95 posts
  • Region:Central Florida
  • Car Year:1990
  • Car Number:27
So if I read John's post above right the 1.6 cars are now "Undogs" by about 1.5 to 2.5 HP based on the weight increase from last year. :scratchchin:

Jim Drago

Jim Drago

East Street Racing / 2 Time National Champion

• Administrators
  • 6,566 posts
  • Region:Mid South
  • Car Year:2005
  • Car Number:2
I defy ANY of you to do a blind test and tell me when you are 10 lbs heavier/lighter, 1 mm more or less restrcited etc.

In NASA trim, 99 gain 1.5 hp and gained 10 lbs ... virtual wash
The 1.6 gained 15 lbs, lost 2/3 of one hp or so

That is some huge change... :spin:
In SCCA
much larger changes, but ratios still similar..

If anyone "caved" it was SCCA, NASA rules were virtually unchanged. SMAC said they would monitor NASA rules and did. NASA took a big swing at it and the results overall were good. SMAC and NASA felt a few minor tweaks were needed and they were made. Both organizations feel this is best rule set we have had and why it was decided not to touch the plates and weights for three years. There was no pressure, no conspiracy , no black helicopters. Just lots of volunteers working for what we all felt was the betterment of the class, which in turn would help grow the class.

If you weren't winning races last year in either club YOUR car was not prepared well enough to win or the driver was not capable of doing so, it wasn't a rules problem. Same goes for this year, the rules in both organizations were very close last year, closer in both organizations this year. If you feel you need to continue to blame the rules for your inabilities, then go ahead, but not sure anyone is listening anymore. Frankly when people realize they are down 3-5 hp to the best cars of their generation and then complain about rules, i Know longer pay much attention. I don't expect to win when I show up down 4-5 HP, yet many complaining seem to think that is a rules problem? Does anyone care to explain this phenomenon to me?

When people make comments that are so clearly baseless and unfounded, it shows how #$%^&* some of you can be. Do some math, do some research before you start accusing people... Or better yet, use the time you spend complaining about the rules and work on your car, set it up more than once every few years etc! :prayer:
  • JBlaisdell and Killian like this

East Street Auto Parts
Jim@Eaststreet.com
800 700 9080

NASA Champs Winner - NASA Champs Winner Hoosier Super Tour points Champion - Hoosier Super Tour points Champion ARRC Champion - Won the ARRC Race in a Spec Miata Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata BFG Supertour Winner - Majors Winner - Circuit of the Americas Winner - We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner SCCA National Champion - Won SCCA Runoffs at Road America SCCA National Champion - Won SCCA Runoffs at Road America

pat slattery

pat slattery

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 724 posts
  • Region:Cincinnati
  • Car Year:1992
  • Car Number:79

Really Pat? I'm glad you know how everything works... You say something like this yet you don't show-up at Nationals? Come'on man! I really hope you were trying to make a joke.

I worked closely with SMAC to do what 99.999% of SM'ers wanted - the same rule for both organizations. I and NASA were willing to make changes as long as it supported the plate and weight philosophy we decided upon for 2011 while achieving 'unification'... If we agreed to enlarge the 99's RP, the appropriate weights were added as well and the other cars were then adjusted. It's all related so somewhat easy to balance.

• Mid-season I started to believe that the 99 was a teeny-tiny bit under powered but needed to see it play out more.
  • One thing I admitted early on is that I made an error on was making the 99's I tiny bit light in 2011.
  • +1 mm is about 1.5-2 hp and +10lbs is about -1/2 hp for a gross of 1-2 hp which is just about what I felt was needed. (these are broad estimates, you engineering types keep you panties on)
All you naysayers, if you really think NASA and SCCA are that wrong and out of touch, either prep your cars and prove it to us or shut your pie-holes and move-on.

I wasn't joking John, I thought you guys hit the numbers pretty well for 2011, Most of the racers did to. My son gave up racing at his Home Track (Mid Ohio) to give SCCA one more try for 2011, but now we have the same rules where the 1.6 in my estimation in NASA trim went backwards from 2011 rules. Why, the 99 at the Nasa Championship was the the fastest car there in the dry. I don't understand the change. Help me understand other than caving into SCCA.

Are you now building a 99 John

Broken record - You are starting to sound like a broken record. Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Broken record - You are starting to sound like a broken record.

pat slattery

pat slattery

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 724 posts

You should work on your math!

So Jim using your math the 10 lbs your 99 gained is equal to 1.5 hp but the 15lbs the 1.6 gained is only 2/3 of a HP. Wow!!!!

Help me understand that one.

Pat

Broken record - You are starting to sound like a broken record. Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Broken record - You are starting to sound like a broken record.

pat slattery

pat slattery

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 724 posts

Not that I care but I see it was NASA that forced the issue...and SCCA moved more towards them. Unless you mean NASA should never have moved off their 2011 weights and plates then I see your point. But I think in the end it doesn't matter as both clubs can only benefit from coming together 100% What's 15lbs among friends? :D

I was trying to say that NASA should have stayed the same as 2011.

Nsparks

Nsparks

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 85 posts
  • Car Year:1999
  • Car Number:#12

, the 99 at the Nasa Championship was the the fastest car there in the dry.

I was there in my 1.6 and that time was achievable for a well prepped 1.6. I just hadn't been to Mid-Ohio in a few years and in the best session for times I was out on new tires.
  • Caveman-kwebb99 likes this

Nate Sparks 

2016 Global Mazda Invitational Champion

2016 MX-5 Cup Champion

2011 NASA SM National Champion
2010 13 Hour Winner
2009-2011 TMC East Coast Champion

NASA Champs Winner - NASA Champs Winner We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations!

Ron Alan

Ron Alan

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,732 posts
  • Car Year:1995

You should work on your math!

So Jim using your math the 10 lbs your 99 gained is equal to 1.5 hp but the 15lbs the 1.6 gained is only 2/3 of a HP. Wow!!!!

Help me understand that one.

Pat

Restrictor plate Pat? Obviously they felt the 99 needed just a little back and they did this by giving and taking a little to each...which helped the goal of getting the cars much closer to equal in weight! As far as the math lets just call it "rounding" :D

Like it our lump it...the deal is done! Can't we all just get along :laughing: Protesters these days are really getting on my nerves..and others :frustrated:
  • john mueller, Cnj and Caveman-kwebb99 like this

Ron

RAmotorsports

Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

pat slattery

pat slattery

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 724 posts

I was there in my 1.6 and that time was achievable for a well prepped 1.6. I just hadn't been to Mid-Ohio in a few years and in the best session for times I was out on new tires.

Not saying you couldn't but did the 99 really need some more help? Did you switch to a 99 car?

Charlie Hayes

Charlie Hayes

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 513 posts
  • Region:West Coast
  • Car Number:22

Not saying you couldn't but did the 99 really need some more help? Did you switch to a 99 car?

He had a '99 and built a 1.6 from what he told me in Ohio. He chose that car over his '99, obviously it didn't matter in the rain.
Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill - Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill

Nsparks

Nsparks

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 85 posts
  • Car Number:#12

It really depends on what event you go to if the 99 needs help. The main reason for having got the 99 was a friend gave us a very good deal on one. I personally like the 1.6 over the 99 in the current ruling.

Nate Sparks 

2016 Global Mazda Invitational Champion

2016 MX-5 Cup Champion

2011 NASA SM National Champion
2010 13 Hour Winner
2009-2011 TMC East Coast Champion

NASA Champs Winner - NASA Champs Winner We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations!

George Munson

George Munson

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 95 posts
  • Region:Central Florida
  • Car Year:1990
  • Car Number:27
Jim, My little comment was just "Busting Chops". But, I should have known me passing everything in sight was because my little 1.6 was just over powered and not my driving. :laughing: Again I'm just having fun. Again I truely respect the dedication you and everybody involved has shown to make this the best class ever. :king:

James York

James York

AKA Cajun Miata Man; Overdog Driver

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 898 posts
  • Region:Houston
  • Car Year:2003
  • Car Number:03

I wasn't joking John, I thought you guys hit the numbers pretty well for 2011, Most of the racers did to. My son gave up racing at his Home Track (Mid Ohio) to give SCCA one more try for 2011, but now we have the same rules where the 1.6 in my estimation in NASA trim went backwards from 2011 rules. Why, the 99 at the Nasa Championship was the the fastest car there in the dry. I don't understand the change. Help me understand other than caving into SCCA.

Are you now building a 99 John

Pat,

Haven't you guys tried 3 straight years at RA, and bitched every year about the 1.6 being an underdog? Then NASA makes a big change in rules for 2011, that you indicated by posts you think was/is correct, holds its championship race at Mid-O, your home track, and you go to RA again in SCCA trim (which you express displeasure with very frequently) What? :noidea:

You know what they say about doing the same thing over and over and expecting a differently result right? :scratchchin:
  • john mueller likes this

James York

sponsored by:
Stan's Auto Center, Lafayette LA