Adam Molaver

Adam Molaver

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 77 posts
  • Region:Mid-Atlantic
  • Car Year:1999
  • Car Number:50

Translated, most of us aren't in the tiny minority. True. You seem to be buying into the idea that RA should control the entire country. I certainly don't, and the non-CenDiv members probably don't. But even more so, the NASA guys don't. After all, this was an effort to create a level field for both organizations, and there's no reason the NASA members should be worshipping at the RA altar. If there's any justice in the world, RA will become even more an outlier in the parity calculation. Too bad for 1.6's at the Nationals -- and I truly do regret that -- but if the parity is really there for the rest of the country, that's more important.

I don't know if it really IS there, mind you. But making RA "just another track" for this purpose really is the right thing to do. We should NOT be picking it apart as the sole criterion for parity.

:clap:
  • john mueller and Cnj like this

George Munson

George Munson

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 95 posts
  • Region:Central Florida
  • Car Year:1990
  • Car Number:27
I've tried to sit on my hands but one slipped out. I'm going to say what a lot of 1.6 drivers are thinking. I was fine with most of the comments but really when someone compares a "Torque Monster" to a 1.6 in terms of being over weight by 30 pounds. Adding 25 pounds is a big deal when comparing over 10 pounds of torque difference between the two motors. I understand there is data collected from NASA and the SCCA from both cars, but giving the 99's a bigger restrictor plate over last years NASA plate and about the same weight while adding more to the 1.6 car seems hugh. Torque or lack there of is the down fall of the 1.6 car as well as slight handling differences. It "Appears" to me this is too far and I'm not ready to drink the "Koolaid".

That being said, I truely respect all of the members from both organizations and all of the hard work they have put in. I know each and everyone of them have worked hard at meeting the needs of all generations of cars. It's a job I wouldn't want. I will remain optimistic going into next year and see what happens. :scratchchin:
  • JBlaisdell, Gatoratty and Team Cochran like this

Cnj

Cnj

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 487 posts
  • Region:Sw
  • Car Year:1999
  • Car Number:32

I've tried to sit on my hands but one slipped out. I'm going to say what a lot of 1.6 drivers are thinking. I was fine with most of the comments but really when someone compares a "Torque Monster" to a 1.6 in terms of being over weight by 30 pounds. Adding 25 pounds is a big deal when comparing over 10 pounds of torque difference between the two motors. I understand there is data collected from NASA and the SCCA from both cars, but giving the 99's a bigger restrictor plate over last years NASA plate and about the same weight while adding more to the 1.6 car seems hugh. Torque or lack there of is the down fall of the 1.6 car as well as slight handling differences. It "Appears" to me this is too far and I'm not ready to drink the "Koolaid".

That being said, I truely respect all of the members from both organizations and all of the hard work they have put in. I know each and everyone of them have worked hard at meeting the needs of all generations of cars. It's a job I wouldn't want. I will remain optimistic going into next year and see what happens. :scratchchin:

I must be missing something so I will also scratch my chin. You reference NASA numbers above and say that the 1.6 got a 25lb bump and the 99 stayed about the same. You seem to be mixing up your numbers. In NASA the 1.6 increased 15lbs and the 99 increased 10lbs for a net increase of 5lbs to the 1.6 - hardly the "huge" amount you seem to suggest above. If you want to argue that the 1mm increase in restrictor plate size on the 99 is a unreasonable advantage, that is a different discussion, but the net weight change between the 1.6 and 99 is inconsequential.

Cnj
  • john mueller likes this
We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Blake Thompson

Blake Thompson

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 402 posts
  • Region:Central
  • Car Year:1991
  • Car Number:137
something on my body won't fit into the new restrictor plates.

BTDTRacing, LLC - ISellMiataParts.com

"I'm not making any money doing this, I'm purely doing it out of ego." - Paul Tracy

2011 Midwestern Council Spec Miata series champion

2015 Winner, SM - Midwestern Council: A Legen-Dairy Enduro, Co-Driver Stephanie Andersen

2015 Winner, ITA - Midwestern Council, Blackhawk Formula Festival

We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Donor - Made PayPal donation Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Ron Alan

Ron Alan

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,732 posts
  • Car Year:1995

something on my body won't fit into the new restrictor plates.

Your spending way to much time in the shop...alone :rotfl:
  • Team Cochran likes this

Ron

RAmotorsports

Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

john mueller

john mueller

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,075 posts

I must be missing something so I will also scratch my chin. You reference NASA numbers above and say that the 1.6 got a 25lb bump and the 99 stayed about the same. You seem to be mixing up your numbers. In NASA the 1.6 increased 15lbs and the 99 increased 10lbs for a net increase of 5lbs to the 1.6 - hardly the "huge" amount you seem to suggest above. If you want to argue that the 1mm increase in restrictor plate size on the 99 is a unreasonable advantage, that is a different discussion, but the net weight change between the 1.6 and 99 is inconsequential.

Cnj

Indeed. Like I said, 2012 brings minor changes to NASA's 2011 rules, which were close... These are better.
We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill - Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+

Todd Green

Todd Green

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 569 posts
  • Region:Utah
  • Car Number:60

Miller (no elevation track other than 20 feet)

Miller is not flat. It isn't Laguna Seca either. Data from my GPS. Using Dewhurstian numbers, you're off by about 300%.

Posted Image

NASA Utah SM Director

We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Donor - Made PayPal donation Endurance race winner - Any endurance race wins Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata

George Munson

George Munson

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 95 posts
  • Region:Central Florida
  • Car Number:27
My comment has more to do with adding weight to a car that has over 10 foot pounds of torque less no matter how the restrictor plates line up. I realize the jump from the old NASA weight is only 15 pounds. I understand the intent of the rules and I support the thought of equalizing the weights, however lets equalize the torque a little first. My comment also is to the fact that no 1.6 "National Driver" can really be 25 to 30 pounds over weight and expect to be at the pointy end of the field. At least not in our region. This again is only my humble opinion.

I do understand I have not seen the data that helped make this happen. Again I have a "Lot" of faith in what Jim, John, Mike, Dan, and the rest of the hard working crew behind the scenes are doing. I just don't see it from where I sit. I will keep an open mind going into next season and see what happens. If I'm wrong I don't have an issue with saying so.

Jim Drago

Jim Drago

East Street Racing / 2 Time National Champion

• Administrators
  • 6,566 posts
  • Region:Mid South
  • Car Year:2005
  • Car Number:2
George
We could have went 2275,2325 and 2375 or 2250, 2300 and 2350. The goal was to stay within 100 lbs. The plates would have still been adjusted the same way( different numbers for these lower weights), the parity would be the same between the years. The only difference would have been some would have had difficulty making weight in the cars. Being a spec class, lowering all the weights for ultimate lap times really wasn't a major concern. Making it realistic for most to make weight in their cars was more important that ultimate lap times. All the cars were based off a 2300 lb 1.6 car. The 1.6 was 2300 in 06 when it swept the podium at the Runoffs. That weight is not "too heavy". in making parity adjustments, the SMAC used weight more often and not enough with plates. The result was a weight disparity that went from 125 lbs to 175 lbs from 2006 to 2011. I am confident these rules will be the best we have ever raced under and looking forward to next season.
Jim
  • john mueller and mellen like this

East Street Auto Parts
Jim@Eaststreet.com
800 700 9080

NASA Champs Winner - NASA Champs Winner Hoosier Super Tour points Champion - Hoosier Super Tour points Champion ARRC Champion - Won the ARRC Race in a Spec Miata Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata BFG Supertour Winner - Majors Winner - Circuit of the Americas Winner - We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner SCCA National Champion - Won SCCA Runoffs at Road America SCCA National Champion - Won SCCA Runoffs at Road America

Caveman-kwebb99

Caveman-kwebb99

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,062 posts
  • Region:Great lakes
  • Car Year:2000
  • Car Number:99
George, don't take this the wrong way! I as among the most vocal who railed against the changes to the 99 last year, I still stand by my original gut that the 99 needed 39mm. But if the other cars have changes made to them then the 38mm and 2400 is going to be fair. My car is a nationally competive 99 that has been raced regionaly for the most part by a second year sm'er in myslef. I have had my ass handed to me more times than I care to admit by 1.6's at mid ohio. I first thought as many do, it couldn't be me it must be my car vs. Their car. I have sat pole at mid ohio more than I can remmber, but only won 3 times, I believe right now today I could win those same races in 2011 nasa trim. I drove 3 mistake free races, hit the setup perfectly, and drove against those same 1.6ers that smoked me earlier in the year. The big changes were not the car it was inside my head between my ears. I really believe the racing is gonna be far tighter and far improved with the new rules in both clubs, but it will be better and tighter in SCCA than NASA next year only because of the tire difference. The Hoosier will give the mid pack guy more confidence to drive the corners harder closing some of the gap to the leaders.
  • john mueller likes this

K. Webb