• Please log in to reply
74 replies to this topic

john mueller

john mueller

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,075 posts

We put on Raybestos ST43 pads (front and rear) from Porterfield for the 25 Hours a few years ago. Liked them so much we've used them for every race since then. Great initial bite, decent modulation, rotor friendly, relatively cheap, and wear is amazing.

RJR turned me on to the ST43's and they are easy on pads and do last and last and last... Personally I had modulation issues with them and created several square tires but everyone else who drove my car in enduro's loved them. I've since switched back to Carbos...
Posted Image

Brake pads are very personal. Driver preference, driving style, track design, experience and speed are all things that need to be taken into account.

Don't listen to me or any of the so called experts. This is something you have to figure out for yourself. Go to your home track. Experiment for a weekend. Give yourself time to get accustomed to the new feel. If you like it, great. If not try something else. Don't be afraid to mix compounds front to rear. I have guys on every concievable combination of the pads listed above. Cobalt/PFC, DTC/Blue, DTC/ PFC, PFC/Blue etc. Dave

Great post Dave !!! Spot on.

Edited by john mueller, 11-03-2011 07:51 PM.
typo

We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill - Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+

Keith Novak

Keith Novak

Steadily Improving Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,128 posts
  • Region:Northwest/Oregon
  • Car Year:1995
  • Car Number:88
+1 on personal preference. Pads seem to have a love hate thing going on. You'll find lots of opinions. You'll also find different opinions on the bedding procedure. Carbotechs for example...I know people who swear by them and swear at them. They feel great. They feel squishy. They're easy to modulate or not. They make the car darty under braking or not. Some say you must bed them in per the instructions while others will say they're really not that sensitive to initial bedding. I flip-flop on whether I love or hate them day to day.

Next season, I have a new fresh set that I know well but will test out others to see what fits my driving style best.
Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations!

cpdenis

cpdenis

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 49 posts
  • Region:Florida
  • Car Year:1999
  • Car Number:09
Dave, I appreciate your candor unfortunately I have neither the time or resources to test all the different compounds. The information is getting good and appreciate it, keep it coming.
John, I need brake pads for my 99'.
Thanks

ChrisA

ChrisA

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 659 posts
  • Region:NCR
  • Car Number:58

+1 for Cobalt

Hawks cost TOO much in flatspotted tires...

Several attempts with CarboTechs, I couldn't make them not shudder...

PFC's were ok, but cracked badly from heat, I never felt comfortable that they weren't going to come apart, and they wore tapered which Cobalts do not.

FWIW, I experienced NO cracking with the PFC 06.

Chris

Happiness is a dry martini and a good woman ... or a bad woman.
- George Burns

Jim Drago

Jim Drago

East Street Racing / 2 Time National Champion

• Administrators
  • 6,566 posts
  • Region:Mid South
  • Car Year:2005
  • Car Number:2
One thing I didn't like on Cobalts is that they seemed to heat cycle out with half the pad left? I also thought they were the easiest to lock up tires

I have not seen cracking PFC pads, but I have seen in others cars

Hawks worked well for me as well, ran blues for years

Jim

East Street Auto Parts
Jim@Eaststreet.com
800 700 9080

NASA Champs Winner - NASA Champs Winner Hoosier Super Tour points Champion - Hoosier Super Tour points Champion ARRC Champion - Won the ARRC Race in a Spec Miata Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata BFG Supertour Winner - Majors Winner - Circuit of the Americas Winner - We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner SCCA National Champion - Won SCCA Runoffs at Road America SCCA National Champion - Won SCCA Runoffs at Road America

FastM3

FastM3

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 20 posts
  • Region:NER
  • Car Year:1990
  • Car Number:38
Been using DTC 60 on the front for two seasons. Good modulation and don't grab like the Blues. Seem to last 2 weekends of 8 sessions/ Would think they should last longer.

Have used the DTC 30 on the rear.as well as the Carbotech XP8. Either will last an entire season.

It does seem like the bias is more to the front with either pad on the rear..

I am thinking of trying Blues on the rear to move the bias slightly more to the rear. Any thoughts on this??????

Phil # 38

Killian

Killian

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 54 posts
  • Region:NASA Great Lakes
  • Car Year:2000
  • Car Number:707
How about Hawk DTC-60 front and rear? I've been using this setup, and didn't notice any adverse wear or modulation issues.

Ron Alan

Ron Alan

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,732 posts
Already very obvious this is a driver choice with the wide variety of opinions! My interest in this subject was mentioned earlier which is flat spotted tires! This can make the overall cost of pads cheap or really expensive. Though i have a feeling many more factors contribute to a single tire, or side, or front, or back lock ups...lets assume for a second it is the pads. We run Hawk blues and this has been an issue...to the point of not releasing when pedal lifts. Not sure if this is common or it is driver error but if it is a pad issue a change may be in order. Any feedback or tips on anything brake system related(mechanical) is appreciated. If it boils down to more a driver issue(lockup)then I will have a serious discussion with mine ;) But for sure we are late and hard brakers...FWIW

Ron

RAmotorsports

Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Alberto

Alberto

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,471 posts
  • Region:SFR
  • Car Year:1990
I really never liked the Hawk Blues. The old saying among some of my buds was buy one set of Blues and 2 sets of rotors as the rotor would wear quicker than the pad. :) The brake dust was also nasty.

I have used the Hawk HT10 pads. Hated them. Porterfield R4 and R4E (enduro) wasn't bad but nothing special. I really LOVE the Hawk DTC60 pads. They have great feel and modulation, release smoothly even on trail brake (on my cars), good resistance to heat when used in the Miata (although I could overheat them in a faster car). PFC is held by many as the "gold standard" but I have never used them. Grassroots Motorsports did a comparison on pads recently and the DTC60 and PFC were highly praised fwiw.

I've heard many good things about the ST43 from drivers of other race cars. Both in terms of performance and wear. but have never used them personally.

Already very obvious this is a driver choice with the wide variety of opinions! My interest in this subject was mentioned earlier which is flat spotted tires! This can make the overall cost of pads cheap or really expensive. Though i have a feeling many more factors contribute to a single tire, or side, or front, or back lock ups...lets assume for a second it is the pads. We run Hawk blues and this has been an issue...to the point of not releasing when pedal lifts. Not sure if this is common or it is driver error but if it is a pad issue a change may be in order. Any feedback or tips on anything brake system related(mechanical) is appreciated. If it boils down to more a driver issue(lockup)then I will have a serious discussion with mine ;) But for sure we are late and hard brakers...FWIW

Ron,

How old are your calipers? Ever been rebuilt?

Are you running the brake pad hardware?

I get more consistent pad wear using the hardware and no issues with pad drag on pedal release. The clips are smooth metal (compared to the rough cast iron of the caliper mount itself) so the brake pad slides more easily over the smooth metal clips when compressed by the caliper piston. On pedal release, the springs help the pads to back away from the rotor by sliding along the clips. Using the hardware has resulted in more even pad wear and less taper for me (YMMV). The springs help retract the pads away from the rotor when you release the brake - resulting in less brake pad drag

If you aren't using the hardware, it may be worth cleaning up the area of the caliper that the pad sits and slides on to ensure the surface is smooth and doesn't interfere with the pads moving around.

Hope that helps.
Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

svvs

svvs

do they sell spec training wheels yet?

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 518 posts
  • Region:NYR
  • Car Year:1991
  • Car Number:12?
Since we're all chiming in here....

I run Carbotech XP10's on the front, XP8's on the rear. My car is a slightly overweight 1.6L.

I get them pre-bedded from the factory......less nonsense for me to deal with, and one less variable.

I run them to the backer plates basically. I know it's time to replace them when the pad knock back gets bad. I should probably replace them sooner.

They are easy for me to modulate, and given my "long light" braking style, I like the fact they don't grab too hard. That being said there are times when I miss having the immediate stopping power of hawk blues front and rear.

An interesting note....a set of fronts will basically last for a four hour enduro and a bit of sprint racing. Otherwise I get fourish weekends of double dipping out of a set of fronts. I only use one set of rotors a year on the carbotechs. No one said my car prep was up to snuff however.

-Vick

Vick
www.volko.com
Black SM/SM2/"Slap Bracelet Throwback" #12 in the Northeast....if the car was made in the early 90's it should look like it.

1.6L forever!  Bring on your '99's and '01's!

Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Donor - Made PayPal donation

Blake Thompson

Blake Thompson

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 402 posts
  • Region:Central
  • Car Number:137

Been using DTC 60 on the front for two seasons. Good modulation and don't grab like the Blues. Seem to last 2 weekends of 8 sessions/ Would think they should last longer.

Have used the DTC 30 on the rear.as well as the Carbotech XP8. Either will last an entire season.

It does seem like the bias is more to the front with either pad on the rear..

I am thinking of trying Blues on the rear to move the bias slightly more to the rear. Any thoughts on this??????

Phil # 38

in my 1990 I get 4-5 weekends out of the fronts, or 12-15 sessions. If you are running two run groups I suppose I see that as similar?
But I had extremely bad and uneven and heavy wear until i bought new calipers for my car this year. Then things got better and i got a lot faster.

BTDTRacing, LLC - ISellMiataParts.com

"I'm not making any money doing this, I'm purely doing it out of ego." - Paul Tracy

2011 Midwestern Council Spec Miata series champion

2015 Winner, SM - Midwestern Council: A Legen-Dairy Enduro, Co-Driver Stephanie Andersen

2015 Winner, ITA - Midwestern Council, Blackhawk Formula Festival

We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Donor - Made PayPal donation Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Blake Thompson

Blake Thompson

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 402 posts

I really never liked the Hawk Blues. The old saying among some of my buds was buy one set of Blues and 2 sets of rotors as the rotor would wear quicker than the pad. :) The brake dust was also nasty.

totally agree. I ate up rotors like crazy on the blues.

"I'm not making any money doing this, I'm purely doing it out of ego." - Paul Tracy

2015 Winner, SM - Midwestern Council: A Legen-Dairy Enduro, Co-Driver Stephanie Andersen

We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Donor - Made PayPal donation Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

ChrisA

ChrisA

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 659 posts

Since we're all chiming in here....

I run Carbotech XP10's on the front, XP8's on the rear....

An interesting note....a set of fronts will basically last for a four hour enduro and a bit of sprint racing. Otherwise I get fourish weekends of double dipping out of a set of fronts. I only use one set of rotors a year on the carbotechs. No one said my car prep was up to snuff however.

-Vick

That's roughly what I got out of that combo on my '99. Now with the PFC 06s, I'm getting around 10-12 events out of a set. Interesting thing is the F & R wear at pretty close to the same rate.

Chris

- George Burns

ChrisA

ChrisA

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 659 posts

totally agree. I ate up rotors like crazy on the blues.

Luckily our rotors cost less then the pads.

Chris

- George Burns

GROOTS

GROOTS

SM

• SMembers
  • PipPipPip
  • 63 posts
  • Region:NYR
  • Car Number:48
I switched from Hawk blues to Carbotechs about 3 events ago. The Carbos are softer and definetly easier on the rotors. I miss the stopping power of the Hawks though. So to try the inbetween I just put a set of PFC's and new rotors on the car for next season. See how it feels.
Anybody need a set of bedded Carbos and matching rotors with 90% left. Plus a new set of pre bedded carbos. ?

Hope the PFC's give me some initial bite than the Carbo's

Jeff Gruter

Excell Motorsports

Paramount Tool & Equiptment http://www.ptetool.com/

Hatzel & Buehler Electrical Construction - IBEW

Blake Thompson

Blake Thompson

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 402 posts

Luckily our rotors cost less then the pads.

lol i guess but "some rotors" costs more money than "none rotors" - either way, rotors cost more than my fuel for the weekend.

davecarama

davecarama

Instructor

• SMembers
  • PipPipPip
  • 229 posts
  • Region:Mid-Atlantic
  • Car Number:63

100% agree on the dust... nasty stuff!
Pads are in the $100-$150 range... rotors are in the $20 range. I'll swap out rotors over swapping out pads any day! ;)
Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

FTodaro

FTodaro

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,084 posts
  • Region:Great Lakes
  • Car Year:2001
  • Car Number:35
You know what they say opinions are like A%$*&le's everyone has one, So I will share mine. I run the blues front and rear, I try not to use them often but when I do they are there. I like to trail brake and do not find it difficult to modulate them at all. I like to late brake when I need to and they are good in that department. They wear like Iron for me. I can almost get a season out of them.

I did also try the carbo's and did not like them, took to much pedal pressure to stop the car and messed up my pedal alignment on heal toe. I did not get much life out of them either.

I personally do not care what kind of dust a pad throws off, its a race car to me not a show piece, and since rotors only cost 20.00 I could care if they are hard on rotors. When I uses to track a P Car yeas ago, I was concerned about rotors when the cost me 350.00 each.

I may try the DT 60 this year at some point as I am continually trying to use as little brake as I can. I have said for awhile now, the only difference between me and my competitors who are faster is that they use less brake than I do.
  • GROOTS likes this

Frank
TnT Racing
SCCA Ohio Valley Region

Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+ We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Donor - Made PayPal donation

Blake Thompson

Blake Thompson

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 402 posts

the only difference between me and my competitors who are faster is that they use less brake than I do.

oh, is that it? You've unlocked the key for me! #sillyseason

Caveman-kwebb99

Caveman-kwebb99

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,062 posts
  • Region:Great lakes
  • Car Year:2000
  • Car Number:99
I used carbotech xp10 front and xp8 rears for about 2 months then changed to xp10's front and rear, then to xp12's front and rear. I still never felt like I had enough brake to stop sometimes. After some coaching I changed over to Cobalts 5's front and 3's rear. I did this the weekend before tha NASA nationals, it was a hard process for me to get used to, having a brake that mearly the shadow of your foot hovering over the bake pedal causing the front end to dive on my car. I think I went something like 2 seconds slower with them a lap on the first weekend and well about 1 second slower the week of the Nationals. Now I have it figured out and my lap times have actually improved by about .3 a lap over what I was able to do with the Carbotechs. In two full seasons of SM, I have flat spotted 3 tires and only one since changing to Cobalt, but that was a car malfuntion that sent me off track, and not the pads themselves.

My car has been on the same Cobalt pads for 5 race weekends and I think the car could do yet another race weekend without changing them, most I ever got out of carbotech was 3 race weekends if I could stand the long pedal.

My experience is this: you can get used to whatever you put on the car if you are patient, stick with it and learn. I almost got to impatient and went back to my old pads, but now I am glad I didn't!

K. Webb