- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
72 replies to this topic

granracing

granracing

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 153 posts
I'm working with Hoosier to assemble a Q&A section about using the tires. Questions you ask can be basic or more extensive, it doesn't matter. Of if you even are hearing about questions from other participants, let us know what they are.

Is there anything you'd like to know more about related to the tires? We're hoping this will assist many SM drivers who might be new to the tire and make the transition easier.
Dave Gran
Want to learn how to begin racing, tips on building / buying a racecar,
becoming a front-running drive, or get vehicle reviews
from a motorsports enthusiast perspective? Visit our free site:
GoAheadTakeTheWheel.com

William Bonsell

William Bonsell

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 398 posts
  • Region:Northwest
  • Car Year:1999
In another Hoosier thread the question is asked about camber setting front and rear between the SM6 and the RA-1....I have read the Hoosiers do not require the radical slip angle that RA-1's need for optimum performance. Would this mean less or comparable camber settings? I doubt it would require more.

Bill-
Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+ Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Johnny D

Johnny D

Veteran Member

• Moderators
  • 6,121 posts
  • Region:San Francisco
  • Car Number:88
I suppose it would be too difficult to just go to the Hoosiers site, click road racing, click Spec miata and click (down below) Set-Up Information, Spring Rate, Distribution, Tire Care tips, Event Support.
http://www.hoosiertire.com/rrtire.htm
J~
2011 NASA Western Endurance Racing Championship E3 Champ
We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Beta-Tester - Assisted us with beta testing the website. Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Novel Approach - When a paragraph simply won't do... Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill - Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+

Keith Novak

Keith Novak

Steadily Improving Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,128 posts
  • Region:Northwest/Oregon
  • Car Year:1995
3* of camber means more longevity for ever so slightly bent LCAs :D
  • Cnj likes this
Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations!

granracing

granracing

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 153 posts
One would think Johnny but that's simply not the case. Lots of questions starting with basic stuff such as if the Hoosier drys should be shaved or not have come up. :) Plenty of advanced questions as well.

Maybe there are very few questions on here, but thought we'd at least ask.
Dave Gran
GoAheadTakeTheWheel.com

Johnny D

Johnny D

Veteran Member

• Moderators
  • 6,121 posts
Ok, there's also the search tab on the upper right as well.
I know shaved hoosiers has been mentioned in some of the past thread when they went national tire.
J~
We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Beta-Tester - Assisted us with beta testing the website. Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Novel Approach - When a paragraph simply won't do... Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill - Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+

Alberto

Alberto

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,471 posts
  • Region:SFR
  • Car Year:1990
I wouldn't know what questions to ask, so any more detailed info Hoosier can provide is welcome.

That stated, some things I have been wondering about are as follows:
  • Most people that I have spoken with regarding curing say that they have not noticed a difference in performance or longevity with cured vs. non-cured tires. Why is that?
  • Those same people state that there is a big (1-2 seconds) drop off in performance after the first few heat cycles. What are the realities in performance drop off over heat cycles?
  • What changes to driving style are we expected to make going from RA1 to SM6?
  • What are the breakaway characteristics like? Most slicks are rather abrupt.
  • How does ambient and track temps affect pressures?
  • What are the desired cross carcass hot temps?

http://www.hoosierti...m/specmiata.htm
  • From Hoosier's web site, what does the "Spring Rate Information" diagram mean with regards to "Vertical Spring Rate vs. Load" at different temps?
  • Does 0 toe refer to front AND rear?
Thanks.
Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Johnny D

Johnny D

Veteran Member

• Moderators
  • 6,121 posts
Do we need a Monday night Live Chat with the expert? Whoever that is.
J~

Johnny D

Johnny D

Veteran Member

• Moderators
  • 6,121 posts

I wouldn't know what questions to ask, so any more detailed info Hoosier can provide is welcome.

That stated, some things I have been wondering about are as follows:

• Most people that I have spoken with regarding curing say that they have not noticed a difference in performance or longevity with cured vs. non-cured tires. Why is that?
  • Those same people state that there is a big (1-2 seconds) drop off in performance after the first few heat cycles. What are the realities in performance drop off over heat cycles?
  • What changes to driving style are we expected to make going from RA1 to SM6?
  • What are the breakaway characteristics like? Most slicks are rather abrupt.
  • How does ambient and track temps affect pressures?
  • What are the desired cross carcass hot temps?

http://www.hoosierti...m/specmiata.htm
  • From Hoosier's web site, what does the "Spring Rate Information" diagram mean with regards to "Vertical Spring Rate vs. Load" at different temps?
  • Does 0 toe refer to front AND rear?
Thanks.

You wouldn't know what questions to ask but state 8, nice :thumbsup:
J~

granracing

granracing

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 153 posts
Johnny, I guess I'm not sure what you're point is here. Might it be that that the Hoosier site is already great? Fine, awesome. Done. You made their job easy and you can put this thread on ignore. Happy? For the rest of us, there are still questions to be answered. I know that I have questions about some of their spring rate and deflection data. For that matter, there are plenty of questions on temps, pressures, and how tuning should be handled. Hell, I'm happy to no longer have the choice of running R compounds, A compounds, H20 Wets and Dirt Stockers.

Alberto, they'll be happy to answer your questions. Thanks for posting them.
  • Michael Colangelo likes this
Dave Gran
GoAheadTakeTheWheel.com

38bfast

38bfast

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,113 posts
  • Region:OVR
  • Car Number:38
The best expert for SM is going to be SM drivers. The Hoosiers react different on each different car they get mounted on. Their chariteristics will not be the same on a BMW as a SM. Each type car has its own unique influence on how the tire will perform. Hoosier will give general statements as what the tire likes but it will not be specific to what a SM likes. We are going to have to do our own testing to figure out what is the best for performance / longevity. Whoever spends the time/money testing will have an advantage.

A few things that I am willing to share
They will flat spot easier than the RA1
They do not talk to you as much as the RA1
Stickers are fast.
They are much harder to mount.
They tend to leak more on the rim than a RA1
They suck when it rains.
  • Jim Drago and James York like this
Ralph Provitz
V2 Motorsports

FTodaro

FTodaro

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,084 posts
  • Region:Great Lakes
  • Car Year:2001
  • Car Number:35
I will add one more, belive it or not they will rotate on the rims, it depends on the rim you are using but I have had them move on the rim likly under braking. So mark the tire at the valve stem and see. I was using the Team Dynamic pro 1.2 at the time. When I used to drive High HP car, I could turn them all the way around.
  • Jim Drago likes this

Frank
TnT Racing
SCCA Ohio Valley Region

Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+ We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Donor - Made PayPal donation

John Costello

John Costello

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 36 posts
  • Region:NePA
  • Car Number:01
Hey Dave does this mean you are in an SM this year too?

William Bonsell

William Bonsell

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 398 posts
  • Region:Northwest

I will add one more, belive it or not they will rotate on the rims, it depends on the rim you are using but I have had them move on the rim likly under braking. So mark the tire at the valve stem and see. I was using the Team Dynamic pro 1.2 at the time. When I used to drive High HP car, I could turn them all the way around.

Ditto that...had one move significantly early into a 8 hour endurance race in November. Caused incredible vibration especially under braking. Took two stints to figure out which wheel - RR. I understand you can't leave a lot of that slippery goop they use for mounting.

Bill-
Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+ Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

philstireservice

philstireservice

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 125 posts

Don't over lubricate the wheel when they are mounted. You'd be surprised how little lubrication you really need.

http://philstireservice.com Enkei Team Dynamics The Miata Wheel Motegi Apex Wedsport Hoosier Toyo BFG Michelin Nankang Federal

granracing

granracing

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 153 posts
Cage tubing is at Kessler Enginering's shop and the build will begin soon. :) You're in SM now John? Very cool. Looking forward to getting my butt handed to me.
Dave Gran
GoAheadTakeTheWheel.com

Johnny D

Johnny D

Veteran Member

• Moderators
  • 6,121 posts

Johnny, I guess I'm not sure what you're point is here. Might it be that that the Hoosier site is already great? Fine, awesome. Done. You made their job easy and you can put this thread on ignore. Happy? For the rest of us, there are still questions to be answered. I know that I have questions about some of their spring rate and deflection data. For that matter, there are plenty of questions on temps, pressures, and how tuning should be handled. Hell, I'm happy to no longer have the choice of running R compounds, A compounds, H20 Wets and Dirt Stockers.

Alberto, they'll be happy to answer your questions. Thanks for posting them.

I was in a bad mood yesterday.
The Monday Night Chat was a real suggestion.
Can't handle the truth about Aberto's comments? He's my friend, just ribbing.
I can find the other posts about Hoosiers if you'd like and post here if you haven't read them already.

IMO, Hoosies gives you a setup for you to start at and up to you to test to your level and style of driving.
Spring rate?, it's spec, temps and presuure on the Hoosies site, How to tune, download JD's Setup guide under downloads up top.
If your here to chat, fine.
Carry on.
J~

John Costello

John Costello

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 36 posts
  • Region:NePA
  • Car Number:01
Yes sir Dave! I drove a couple races last year and had more fun than I have had in a race car in a long time! I am going to dabble in a couple Grand Am races(I HAVE TO drive at Indy and will probably do the Glen and/or NJ) and have a lot of fun in SM! Looking forward to some FUN behind the wheel!

Jim Drago

Jim Drago

East Street Racing / 2 Time National Champion

• Administrators
  • 6,566 posts
  • Region:Mid South
  • Car Year:2005
  • Car Number:2

One would think Johnny but that's simply not the case. Lots of questions starting with basic stuff such as if the Hoosier drys should be shaved or not have come up. :) Plenty of advanced questions as well.

Maybe there are very few questions on here, but thought we'd at least ask.

Some such as myself would think asking if the Hoosier drys needed to be shaved was actually an advanced question. :scratchchin: Less weight.. if you are only using the tires for 4-6 sessions and start with a lighter tire... Don't think that is a concern? Well, I have already seen them. :( I don't blame the competitor, it makes sense, just hoped we wouldn't end up there.
Jim

East Street Auto Parts
Jim@Eaststreet.com
800 700 9080

NASA Champs Winner - NASA Champs Winner Hoosier Super Tour points Champion - Hoosier Super Tour points Champion ARRC Champion - Won the ARRC Race in a Spec Miata Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata BFG Supertour Winner - Majors Winner - Circuit of the Americas Winner - We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner SCCA National Champion - Won SCCA Runoffs at Road America SCCA National Champion - Won SCCA Runoffs at Road America

Alex Bolanos

Alex Bolanos

The Cuban Missile

• SMembers
  • PipPipPip
  • 355 posts
  • Region:FL
  • Car Number:57

Some such as myself would think asking if the Hoosier drys needed to be shaved was actually an advanced question. :scratchchin: Less weight.. if you are only using the tires for 4-6 sessions and start with a lighter tire... Don't think that is a concern? Well, I have already seen them. :( I don't blame the competitor, it makes sense, just hoped we wouldn't end up there.
Jim

Well, we're there because the tires are heat cycled out after 8 sessions.... This is pretty much what the old SM6/R6 was like so I'm not really surprised. I also noticed the dreaded R888 dip 2" in from the outside of the tire, did you?

Alex Bolanos - #57 
Sponsored by Autotechnik, Momo USA, Apex Alignment, and Amazon.com

Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Majors Winner - We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! NASA Champs Winner - NASA Champs Winner

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users