Jim Drago

Jim Drago

East Street Racing / 2 Time National Champion

• Administrators
  • 6,566 posts
  • Region:Mid South
  • Car Year:2005
  • Car Number:2
I think I am starting to see that as well.

East Street Auto Parts
Jim@Eaststreet.com
800 700 9080

NASA Champs Winner - NASA Champs Winner Hoosier Super Tour points Champion - Hoosier Super Tour points Champion ARRC Champion - Won the ARRC Race in a Spec Miata Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata BFG Supertour Winner - Majors Winner - Circuit of the Americas Winner - We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner SCCA National Champion - Won SCCA Runoffs at Road America SCCA National Champion - Won SCCA Runoffs at Road America

Ron Alan

Ron Alan

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,732 posts
  • Car Year:1995

Well, we're there because the tires are heat cycled out after 8 sessions.... This is pretty much what the old SM6/R6 was like so I'm not really surprised. I also noticed the dreaded R888 dip 2" in from the outside of the tire, did you?

Isn't that the norm? Certainly is on the RA1 in our region...the E30's with their extra 400lbs get it really bad :(

Ron

RAmotorsports

Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Charlie Hayes

Charlie Hayes

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 513 posts
  • Region:West Coast
  • Car Year:1999
  • Car Number:22
The groove of death!!!
Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill - Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill

Alberto

Alberto

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,471 posts
  • Region:SFR
  • Car Year:1990

Isn't that the norm? Certainly is on the RA1 in our region...the E30's with their extra 400lbs get it really bad :(

According to the durometer, that is not my experience but I'm not as fast as Kyle.
Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Charlie Hayes

Charlie Hayes

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 513 posts
Alberto, the miata's do not see the groove. We can normally see a pretty even wear pattern on the RA1, though the E30s use about 5in of the available 8in of tread on the RA1. Like mentioned the groove is normally about 2-3 inches in from the outside of the tire.
Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill - Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill

philstireservice

philstireservice

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 125 posts

The groove of death!!!

Groove of Doom..........death is a little severe...:)
  • Charlie Hayes likes this

http://philstireservice.com Enkei Team Dynamics The Miata Wheel Motegi Apex Wedsport Hoosier Toyo BFG Michelin Nankang Federal

Charlie Hayes

Charlie Hayes

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 513 posts
touche.

svvs

svvs

do they sell spec training wheels yet?

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 518 posts
  • Region:NYR
  • Car Year:1991
  • Car Number:12?

Alberto, the miata's do not see the groove. We can normally see a pretty even wear pattern on the RA1, though the E30s use about 5in of the available 8in of tread on the RA1. Like mentioned the groove is normally about 2-3 inches in from the outside of the tire.

Here in the NE I had two sets of RA-1's get that weird groove/dogbone shape. They were bought about the same time though.

Still don't know what I'm running next year, but we'll see.

Vick
www.volko.com
Black SM/SM2/"Slap Bracelet Throwback" #12 in the Northeast....if the car was made in the early 90's it should look like it.

1.6L forever!  Bring on your '99's and '01's!

Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Donor - Made PayPal donation

granracing

granracing

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 153 posts
Yes, suspension spring rate is spec however I was talking about a discussion they had related to the tire psi impacting static spring rates (some information can be found under SAE formula). Their discussion of this went right over my head!

Jim, the shaving questions wasn't like you're thinking. It about someone so used to Toyos and shaving them...
Dave Gran
Want to learn how to begin racing, tips on building / buying a racecar,
becoming a front-running drive, or get vehicle reviews
from a motorsports enthusiast perspective? Visit our free site:
GoAheadTakeTheWheel.com

Alberto

Alberto

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,471 posts

Charlie,

I was actually referring to the heat cycle comment that Alex and Ron mentioned about heat cycling RA1s in 8 cycles. I had the 6/32 tires I stared the 2011 season with looked at by someone with a durometer and they were still nice and soft and grippy. I used them at the last 2 free Thunderhill test days. Almost done with them. :)

A

Ron Alan

Ron Alan

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,732 posts

According to the durometer, that is not my experience but I'm not as fast as Kyle.

Whats funny is when the tires come off under heat/pressure, you don't really notice. But when you pull them out for the next weekend...oh man! Of course this is when you are down to 1 line this becomes obvious. I think flipping seams to give you an extra couple heat cycles. Just give yourself one practice session after the flip! Don't expect to qualify on them!

Ron

RAmotorsports

Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Charlie Hayes

Charlie Hayes

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 513 posts

Charlie,

I was actually referring to the heat cycle comment that Alex and Ron mentioned about heat cycling RA1s in 8 cycles. I had the 6/32 tires I stared the 2011 season with looked at by someone with a durometer and they were still nice and soft and grippy. I used them at the last 2 free Thunderhill test days. Almost done with them. :)

A

Thats pretty awesome. The special alignments we do for you help out also. ;)

Alberto

Alberto

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,471 posts

Whats funny is when the tires come off under heat/pressure, you don't really notice. But when you pull them out for the next weekend...oh man! Of course this is when you are down to 1 line this becomes obvious. I think flipping seams to give you an extra couple heat cycles. Just give yourself one practice session after the flip! Don't expect to qualify on them!

I bet. I remember it being that way when I raced karts. You'd get to the track and get a slippery surprise if you weren't actively keeping count of heat cycles and had a new set of slicks waiting.

I wish I had known about the tire flipping thing earlier. I flipped my tires the morning of the Infineon race. My second time on that track and first time in the Miata, still learning the racing line and running tires that all of a sudden had no grip. That was the biggest clusterfux of a weekend for me... Glad I made it out in one piece.

Charlie - Yeah, you and Tim @ TFB Performance nailed the alignment and corner balance all year on my car. It was great knowing that the car was solid and well setup at each event that I participated in. Thanks to you guys, I could just get to the track, set pressures and drive - and learn. Thank you both for your help this year. Lots and lots of learning to do... :)

granracing

granracing

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 153 posts
Okay, so about this flipping the tire. You really think that overcomes the heat cycles? I really don't know. Always driven a harsh FWD car where 4 cycles and back to the rear if I wanted to stay up front.
Dave Gran
Want to learn how to begin racing, tips on building / buying a racecar,
becoming a front-running drive, or get vehicle reviews
from a motorsports enthusiast perspective? Visit our free site:
GoAheadTakeTheWheel.com

philstireservice

philstireservice

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 125 posts

Okay, so about this flipping the tire. You really think that overcomes the heat cycles? I really don't know. Always driven a harsh FWD car where 4 cycles and back to the rear if I wanted to stay up front.

I don't think flipping the tire overcomes a heat cycle. Where it came from on the car and how not worn it is already may have more to do with extending a heat cycle or two. But as it was mentioned before and is true, a heat cycle is a heat cycle, if reaches operating temp and cools to ambient temp - one heat cycle.

http://philstireservice.com Enkei Team Dynamics The Miata Wheel Motegi Apex Wedsport Hoosier Toyo BFG Michelin Nankang Federal

Michael Colangelo

Michael Colangelo

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 283 posts
  • Region:Southern California
  • Car Year:1997
  • Car Number:23

Cage tubing is at Kessler Enginering's shop and the build will begin soon. :) You're in SM now John? Very cool. Looking forward to getting my butt handed to me.

No mo' Honda? :(

That's it, Dave. I'm reporting you to Honda-Tech! :D

J/k, good luck. BTW, is Kessler in Berlin? I grew up there, haha.

Keith Novak

Keith Novak

Steadily Improving Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,128 posts
  • Region:Northwest/Oregon
  • Car Number:88
Flipping the tire and heat cycles are two different things.

Rubber in a tire acts like a spring vertically,horizontally, and torsionally (if that's a word). The flex in a spring is affected by both the material properties of the spring, and the length of the spring. Heat cycles change the material properties of the rubber and changes the way it flexes (stiffer spring material). Flipping the tire puts the part of the tire that still has more rubber left in the place that's taking more force (longer spring length).

These two things are working together. Figuring out how to make the two of those work best together, for the longest duration is why there are tire engineers and I'm not one of them.
Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations!

Jim Drago

Jim Drago

East Street Racing / 2 Time National Champion

• Administrators
  • 6,566 posts
  • Region:Mid South
  • Car Year:2005
  • Car Number:2

Jim, the shaving questions wasn't like you're thinking. It about someone so used to Toyos and shaving them...

I know, I was busting your chops.. :wave2: But shaved Hoosiers are here and will become more visible at bigger races IMO...

East Street Auto Parts
Jim@Eaststreet.com
800 700 9080

NASA Champs Winner - NASA Champs Winner Hoosier Super Tour points Champion - Hoosier Super Tour points Champion ARRC Champion - Won the ARRC Race in a Spec Miata Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata BFG Supertour Winner - Majors Winner - Circuit of the Americas Winner - We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner SCCA National Champion - Won SCCA Runoffs at Road America SCCA National Champion - Won SCCA Runoffs at Road America

Alberto

Alberto

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,471 posts

Flipping the tire and heat cycles are two different things.

Rubber in a tire acts like a spring vertically,horizontally, and torsionally (if that's a word). The flex in a spring is affected by both the material properties of the spring, and the length of the spring. Heat cycles change the material properties of the rubber and changes the way it flexes (stiffer spring material). Flipping the tire puts the part of the tire that still has more rubber left in the place that's taking more force (longer spring length).

These two things are working together. Figuring out how to make the two of those work best together, for the longest duration is why there are tire engineers and I'm not one of them.

Interesting. I just did it to even out wear pattern since I started on rain depth tires at 6/32nds.

guest driver

guest driver

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 32 posts
  • Region:11
  • Car Number:90

I know, I was busting your chops.. :wave2: But shaved Hoosiers are here and will become more visible at bigger races IMO...

worrying about "torsional spring rates, stiffer flex rates per heat cycles" ... "shaved, waxed, botoxed and contoured" Hoosiers ....
all way over my pay grade.

much rather show up at the Hoo trailer at 7 am, rummage through the stacks inside the trailer, find the sets marked "hold for #2" ... and buy those.
have a stout and a smile ...
:guinness:
  • Jim Drago likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users