Keith Novak

Steadily Improving Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,128 posts
  • Region:Northwest/Oregon
  • Car Year:1995
  • Car Number:88
I'm just saying it's a combination of how much rubber is left on the contact patch and how hard the rubber is. You can have all the rubber in the world but if it's hard as a rock, or if it's perfectly cured but you're running on cords it won't work very well either way.
Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations!

davew

davew

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,297 posts
  • Region:Chicago
  • Car Year:1999
  • Car Number:72

I know, I was busting your chops.. :wave2: But shaved Hoosiers are here and will become more visible at bigger races IMO...

Actually Jim, I don't think we will.

We brought 4 sets of shaved Hoosiers to Florida for Voytek. Ran 3 sets at Sebring and was marginally competitive. At Homestead we tested them back to back on Friday morning. Sticker unshaved vs sticker shaves. The unshaved tires were faster. For Friday afternoon, Saturday and Sunday mornings we ran the shaved. We ran the unshaved for the races. The only race we where really competitive in was the Sunday afternoon race, on 3 heat cycle unshaved. Other than checking toe before each session we made no changes to the car.

I do not have a theroy as to why we found this. But with a sample of one driver at 2 tracks over 4 races we found shaving to be detrimental to Hoosiers.

I do believe that Todd Buras was on heat cycle #9 on his tires

That is what I know
dave

Dave Wheeler
Advanced Autosports, the nations most complete Spec Miata shop
Author, Spec Miata Constructors Guide, version 1 and 2.0

Building Championship winning cars since 1995

4 time Central Division Spec Miata Champion car builder 2012-2013-2014-2017

Back to Back June Sprints Spec Miata 1-2 finishes 2016 and 2017

5 time June Sprints winner in Mazda's

6 Time Northern Conference Champion Car Builder

2014 SCCA Majors National point Champion car builder

2014 SCCA Runoffs winner, T4 (Bender)

2014 Central Division Champion, ITS (Wheeler)

2013 Thunderhill 25 hour winning crew chief

2007 June Sprints winner, (GT1, Mohrhauser)

Over 200 race wins and counting.
www.advanced-autosports.com
dave@advanced-autosports.com
608-313-1230

Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill - Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Sponsor / Advertiser - Site sponsor / advertiser... support these guys! Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Jim Drago

Jim Drago

East Street Racing / 2 Time National Champion

• Administrators
  • 6,566 posts
  • Region:Mid South
  • Car Year:2005
  • Car Number:2
Dave
While I believe what you are saying.. It doesn't make much sense, granted I am no tire engineer. I think when we get to that big dyno in Wi, we will likely see shaved tires again? I know if nothing is done, several of us will have a few sets to try at the Sprints. I really don't know how to insure we don't, but if anyone has any realistic suggestions, I am on board with not allowing as it does nothing but increase the costs for all. It is not allowed now, but not enforceable either, so we will continue to see it.

Any ideas, post them up. Hoosier has said they will not shave the tires but others will.

Jim

East Street Auto Parts
Jim@Eaststreet.com
800 700 9080

NASA Champs Winner - NASA Champs Winner Hoosier Super Tour points Champion - Hoosier Super Tour points Champion ARRC Champion - Won the ARRC Race in a Spec Miata Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata BFG Supertour Winner - Majors Winner - Circuit of the Americas Winner - We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner SCCA National Champion - Won SCCA Runoffs at Road America SCCA National Champion - Won SCCA Runoffs at Road America

Johnny D

Johnny D

Veteran Member

• Moderators
  • 6,121 posts
  • Region:San Francisco
  • Car Number:88
Some type of Tire Impound?
J~
2011 NASA Western Endurance Racing Championship E3 Champ
We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Beta-Tester - Assisted us with beta testing the website. Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Novel Approach - When a paragraph simply won't do... Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill - Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+

Doug007

Doug007

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 100 posts
  • Region:TX
Seems premature to start thinking up ways to enforce against tire shaving when there is no evidence that they are faster. The one data point that we have says they aren't any faster.

A lot of other classes run R6s and I haven't heard of them shaving them either. Running stickers for qualifying is the approach I hear about most often from other classes.

There are plenty of other known techniques that are known to improve lap times and raise the cost of racing to worry about!

davew

davew

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,297 posts
  • Region:Chicago
  • Car Number:72
<<<I think when we get to that big dyno in Wi,>>>

Jim, my dyno isn't that big!!!

FYI, I heard from a reliable source that teh rains do not shave well at all. The tread is not stable enough to shave. Hopefully that will eliminate the need for intermediates.

Dave Wheeler
Advanced Autosports, the nations most complete Spec Miata shop
Author, Spec Miata Constructors Guide, version 1 and 2.0

Building Championship winning cars since 1995

4 time Central Division Spec Miata Champion car builder 2012-2013-2014-2017

Back to Back June Sprints Spec Miata 1-2 finishes 2016 and 2017

5 time June Sprints winner in Mazda's

6 Time Northern Conference Champion Car Builder

2014 SCCA Majors National point Champion car builder

2014 SCCA Runoffs winner, T4 (Bender)

2014 Central Division Champion, ITS (Wheeler)

2013 Thunderhill 25 hour winning crew chief

2007 June Sprints winner, (GT1, Mohrhauser)

Over 200 race wins and counting.
www.advanced-autosports.com
dave@advanced-autosports.com
608-313-1230

Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill - Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Sponsor / Advertiser - Site sponsor / advertiser... support these guys! Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Rob Burgoon

Rob Burgoon

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,465 posts
  • Car Year:1995
  • Car Number:91

Dave
While I believe what you are saying.. It doesn't make much sense, granted I am no tire engineer. I think when we get to that big dyno in Wi, we will likely see shaved tires again? I know if nothing is done, several of us will have a few sets to try at the Sprints. I really don't know how to insure we don't, but if anyone has any realistic suggestions, I am on board with not allowing as it does nothing but increase the costs for all. It is not allowed now, but not enforceable either, so we will continue to see it.

Any ideas, post them up. Hoosier has said they will not shave the tires but others will.

Jim

Jim, if we can't enforce, we (the CRB letter writers) should seriously consider legalizing. The only way the unenforceable ban avoids increasing the costs for all is by excluding and penalizing the honest racers.
Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill - Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations!

Jim Drago

Jim Drago

• Administrators
  • 6,566 posts
I agree Rob, I don't see anyway around it.. Seems like a likely strategy would be shave, scrub them and put a light heat cycle in a practice session and then be ready to go with thin one session Hoosiers. By the time any official sees them, they will look like every other Hoosier.

Doug, if you could run wheels that were 1 lb plus lighter legally, would you? Well a 1 lb lighter tire is better than that :) The more testing done, the faster shaved Hoosiers will be IMO.. Especially at Road America when a few tenths separates most over 4 miles.

East Street Auto Parts
Jim@Eaststreet.com
800 700 9080

NASA Champs Winner - NASA Champs Winner Hoosier Super Tour points Champion - Hoosier Super Tour points Champion ARRC Champion - Won the ARRC Race in a Spec Miata Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata BFG Supertour Winner - Majors Winner - Circuit of the Americas Winner - We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner SCCA National Champion - Won SCCA Runoffs at Road America SCCA National Champion - Won SCCA Runoffs at Road America

Tom Sager

Tom Sager

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,693 posts
  • Region:Central
  • Car Year:1996
  • Car Number:94
Some competition tires don't have the same tread compound throughout the tread depth. Anyone know if the Hoosier has a consistent compund from core to top of the tread?
Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+

Jim Drago

Jim Drago

• Administrators
  • 6,566 posts
According to Hoosier, yes it is the same compound all the way to cord. I asked that very question.

East Street Auto Parts
Jim@Eaststreet.com
800 700 9080

Sean - MiataCage

Sean - MiataCage

• Moderators
  • 301 posts
We need to legalize it and take it off the table..... We have come such a long way with getting the rules right we don't need anymore rules that can not be enforced. We are currently working on a tire cycler to put a heat cycle on shaved tires without putting them on the track. Could be a waste of time and money, but I guess we have to try. In 1.6 land out West here the weight of the shaved tire is worth investigating. :)
Sean Hedrick - President
www.miatacage.com
360-606-7734
Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Sponsor / Advertiser - Site sponsor / advertiser... support these guys!

LarryKing

LarryKing

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,659 posts
And the SCCA is wondering how to increase participation at nationals. Unless you've got a huge race budget you're just doing laps. Who wants to show up knowing they're field filler.

Not me.

Stupid (rhetorical) question - Wasn't the lack of shaving part of the rational for switching to Hoosier?
2017 - SMSE SEDiv ECR Champion
Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

James York

James York

AKA Cajun Miata Man; Overdog Driver

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 898 posts
  • Region:Houston
  • Car Year:2003
  • Car Number:03

Stupid (rhetorical) question - Wasn't the lack of shaving part of the rational for switching to Hoosier?

Yes, sort of. The Hoosiers will still help folks that don't prep/spend to the max by not having to shave vs. Toyos (no choice there).

The folks that spent shaving tires to pretty thin before, the additional cost of a shaving is not probably an issue.

James York

sponsored by:
Stan's Auto Center, Lafayette LA