Photo

How do I analyze data to reduce lap time?

- - - - - data acquisition lap time Hoosier lateral G corner radius data analysis

• Please log in to reply
82 replies to this topic

Brendan O

Brendan O

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 215 posts
  • Region:SE
  • Car Year:2003
Hi,
I’m just starting out so at the moment I am just doing HPDE events while I learn to go fast in my 2003 Miata. It has the SM suspension, the Hoosier SM6 tire and crappy Hawk HP Plus pads (I have Carbotechs but I’m waiting for the Hawk pads to get used up). Once my lap times are decent I plan on going to the SCCA Roebling Double Driver School.

I have an AIM EVO4 data logger and I use AIM Race Studio software (I like Race Studio but I should have gotten Traqmate system since it is more prevalent here in the SE).

For Road Atlanta, my best time is 1:50.3
For Barber Motorsports Park, my best time is 1:53.2

I am trying to prioritize what I should be working on. I know having a good coach can help a lot but for now I think I can shave some seconds off on my own. For priorities, I think people have said:
  • learn the correct line and be consistent with turn in, track out, breaking,
  • learn smooth steering inputs, smooth release of brakes, smooth downshifts,
  • learn good car control skills – quick hands to correct too much oversteer,
  • try trail braking.

When looking at my AIM data, with good Hoosiers, it seems I can easily pull 1.3 lateral G for more than a second and sometimes it looks like I can pull more than 1.4 G. When I look at my lap data, I notice that on some corners at Road Atlanta and Barber, I don’t come anywhere near 1.3G. I go around corner at 0.9G to 1.1G. I think I have a good line and I’m reasonably smooth (except for some heel-toe downshifts like Rd Atl T5).

So … my thought was that I should strive to hit 1.3G at all corners and that should get my lap times heading in the right direction. I read some websites that try to explain lateral G vs radial velocity vs radius of arc and it seems to me that it doesn’t really matter what the radius of the corner is. Given any radius R, there is a speed which will generate the same desired lateral G force (e.g. 1.3G). This is assuming no camber in road and same clean pavement at each corner. Is this idea correct?

Hopefully I can do this gradually – I would slowly increase my speed until I felt comfortable and then I would increase some more. One of the problems with this is that my car control skills are still at novice level and my hands are slow to correct oversteer so I need more practice in a wet parking lot to get more comfortable with slip angles. For example, I don’t think I have ever generated a slip angle around T1 at Road Atlanta with Hoosiers. My fastest apex speed was 87 mph and I pulled 1.4Gs but I don’t think there was a slip angle. Is 90 mph is doable?

Any how, is this the correct approach when looking at my AIM data? Once I have good lateral Gs at each corner then I can focus on trail braking etc.

Also, if anyone has AIM data files for Road Atlanta or Barber that they don’t mind sharing, I’d greatly appreciate it.

thanks
Brendan

Tom Hampton

Tom Hampton

Egregious Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,060 posts
  • Region:South west
  • Car Year:1992
  • Car Number:41
Brendan-

I'm not an expert at all. I'm learning too. I just put up a post on my blog about a recent coaching experience with a very experienced racer in my region. Also, I've done some data analysis in previous posts.

All of these posts can be found here: http://www.tomhampto...fo/tag/cresson/

I'm not saying what I've done is the "best" or even "right". But, its what I'm doing.

I'm also working on a post regarding corner radius analysis, that I'm about half way through. Get the "Speed Secrets" books, and the "Going Faster" boot from skippy school. There's a lot more to it that mid-corner G-loading. These books cover it VERY well (arguably the most thorough treatment).

-tch
Build: www.tomhampton.info

video: vimeo.com/tomhampton

Support: X-Factor Racing

I didn't lose, I just got outspent!

Beta-Tester - Assisted us with beta testing the website. Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Brendan O

Brendan O

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 215 posts
Thanks Tom - i will read the material at your website. I have the skippy "Going Faster" book and really like it - especially the diagrams. Just wanted to see what SMers thought about my approach.
Also, doing a search of top downloaded documents at this site revealed a PPT called "How to go faster". Guess I should have searched more before posting. :bash:

Roger Caddell

Roger Caddell

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 120 posts
Brendan,There are some AiM Insight training video's here: www.vimeo.com/aimsports

Especially watch the "Webinar - Practical Data Acquisition" for a few SM specific tips.

• dstevens likes this

Brendan O

Brendan O

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 215 posts
ok - thanks

dstevens

dstevens

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,404 posts
  • Region:LVR

Brendan,There are some AiM Insight training video's here: www.vimeo.com/aimsports

Especially watch the "Webinar - Practical Data Acquisition" for a few SM specific tips.

Good stuff Rog, thanks!

Caveman-kwebb99

Caveman-kwebb99

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,062 posts
  • Region:Great lakes
  • Car Year:2000
  • Car Number:99
Brendan, as with anything going faster takes alot of work. I had the traqmate system from the beginning, I also had friends sharing their data with me. I was improving on a consistent basis from the data I had to work with.

I invested in a coach, and that made more of a difference in one weekends then all of my weekends with data, and my own abilities combined. He showed me how to view the data and how to compair the data, as well as compaired my data to his right in front of me. I learned how to run the data software much better than I could on my own, I learned consistency, I learned strategy, and I learned in a much shorter time span.

Had I to do it over again, I would have hired this same coach, and I would have hired him much earlier on! Looking at your own data and coaching yourself is tough to do.
  • dstevens likes this

K. Webb
Powered by East Street Racing (Best engines in Spec Miata)

Driver coach, Spec Miata Prep shop, Spec Miata Setup

2016 Hard Charger award passing 12 cars runoffs 2016 Mid Ohio

2016 P3 RUNOFFS OVER 40 DIVISION LOL!

2015 First consolation prize Northern Conference Majors Title Pageant
2015 Winner Circus Cat Majors Road America

2015 Winner BlackHawk Majors crash fest

My Signature is still not as long as Danny boy's

Donor - Made PayPal donation Majors Winner - Chatterbox - Blah blah blah... Blah blah blah Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+

Brendan O

Brendan O

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 215 posts

Had I to do it over again, I would have hired this same coach, and I would have hired him much earlier on! Looking at your own data and coaching yourself is tough to do.

Thanks Kyle. I wasn't sure if I should get a coach while my lap times were still coming down on my own or get a coach when I plateau and stop making progress. I guess in an ideal world, getting a coach early on will prevent the development of bad habits which become hard to fix once ingrained in the brain/muscle memory. So maybe I'll get a coach right away. For those who have done well in the sport (Runoffs podium, gone on to pro racing etc), I'd be curious about their path. Did they all take different paths in terms of when they got a coach or did they all do the same thing and get a coach early. I guess it also depends on natural ability (which i don't think i have in spades).

thanks again

Tom Hampton

Tom Hampton

Egregious Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,060 posts
  • Region:South west
  • Car Year:1992
  • Car Number:41
Kyle-

Can you quantify the difference (for you)? Like Brendan...I'm in this early phase, now. I go to DE events, and get in-car instruction from current racers at these DE events. I analyse my own data, and occasionally get quality data/video analysis from local hot-shoes. Using this approach, my current rate of improvement is about 2 seconds per day at the track while NOT making any changes to the car (combined with the follow-on analysis), I'm still about 6-7 seconds off race pace.

-tch
Build: www.tomhampton.info

video: vimeo.com/tomhampton

Support: X-Factor Racing

I didn't lose, I just got outspent!

Beta-Tester - Assisted us with beta testing the website. Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Caveman-kwebb99

Caveman-kwebb99

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,062 posts
  • Region:Great lakes
  • Car Year:2000
  • Car Number:99

Thanks Kyle. I wasn't sure if I should get a coach while my lap times were still coming down on my own or get a coach when I plateau and stop making progress. I guess in an ideal world, getting a coach early on will prevent the development of bad habits which become hard to fix once ingrained in the brain/muscle memory. So maybe I'll get a coach right away. For those who have done well in the sport (Runoffs podium, gone on to pro racing etc), I'd be curious about their path. Did they all take different paths in terms of when they got a coach or did they all do the same thing and get a coach early. I guess it also depends on natural ability (which i don't think i have in spades).

thanks again

Brandan, I look at it like this... How many people send their children to school to teach themselves? Sure you can get your child the best books, best computer, best technology on the market, but how well do you think they will do teaching themselves to use all of it. The cave man worked hard to make the stone wheel, it took people many centuries later to make the car to go with the wheel. How long do you have, to get to where you want to go? You can plant a sapling in your back yard and water it for years, in what year do you think that little sappling will actually give you the shade you desire for the family cookout? I waited till I was a podium regular to seek coaching, took me 1.5 seasons on my own to get there. There is so much more to racing than lap times, there is qualifying, roling starts, passing, learning new tracks, data, car prep, race strategy, tire management, car setup, and probably some things I didn't mention here. Getting a grasp on all of those things is a hand full. I still have plenty areas mentioned that I still need improvement on, I need more coaching! Even pro drivers have coaches!!!!!!!!!
  • dstevens, JBlaisdell and svvs like this

K. Webb