gerglmuff2

gerglmuff2

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 284 posts
  • Region:LOL
  • Car Year:1993
  • Car Number:81

I only go back to 2002, the first year for SM in what is now the GreatLakes Division (originally CENDIV Area4), so my experience is only in that division and for the first year the spec tire was open (I ran the Kumho VictoRacer, which was an OK tire), then it was the RA1 for a year or two, then it was open again (for regional competition). I have no idea what the regional/divisional rule is now for Greatlakes as I moved south several years ago but I think it's the spec Hoosier.

I'll admit my memory of specifics 18 years ago can be a little foggy.

central division SCCA has an SMT class, spec miata open tire class. you can run anything. most people use it for cheaply double dipping and just run hoosiers. ive seen toyos run as well. 

Gordon Kuhnley: Driving miata's in all conditions, courses, and motorsports that I can. 

Steve Scheifler

Steve Scheifler

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,816 posts

I only go back to 2002, the first year for SM in what is now the GreatLakes Division (originally CENDIV Area4), so my experience is only in that division and for the first year the spec tire was open (I ran the Kumho VictoRacer, which was an OK tire), then it was the RA1 for a year or two, then it was open again (for regional competition). I have no idea what the regional/divisional rule is now for Greatlakes as I moved south several years ago but I think it's the spec Hoosier.

I'll admit my memory of specifics 18 years ago can be a little foggy.

You know what, I think I was wrong. It just SEEMED like the Hoosier was the spec tire because that’s what people ran at nationals if they expected to compete. Then we had the big debate (there was resistance at the front over that too) and Toyo took round one. I stand corrected (until someone proves me wrong again).
Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other Broken record - You are starting to sound like a broken record.

LarryKing

LarryKing

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,659 posts

No SM Nationals until 2006

2017 - SMSE SEDiv ECR Champion
Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Steve Scheifler

Steve Scheifler

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,816 posts

No SM Nationals until 2006

Right again, another big debate. Well not really because the old site owner would delete posts in opposition and threaten to ban the poster. But that’s another story. In any case, Hoosier was the choice of the fast guys. I know well when we went national of course but while you’re paying attention remind me what year we first had a spec tire.
Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other Broken record - You are starting to sound like a broken record.

Tom Hampton

Tom Hampton

Egregious Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,060 posts
  • Region:South west
  • Car Year:1992
  • Car Number:41

All hail the "new" JD! 

however, he may have lost that new car smell. 

• Cnj, Jim Drago and callumhay like this

-tch
Build: www.tomhampton.info

video: vimeo.com/tomhampton

Support: X-Factor Racing

I didn't lose, I just got outspent!

Beta-Tester - Assisted us with beta testing the website. Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Bench Racer

Bench Racer

Different strokes for different folks : )

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,508 posts
  • Region:Milwaukee
  • Car Year:1990
  • Car Number:14

Right again, another big debate. Well not really because the old site owner would delete posts in opposition and threaten to ban the poster. But that’s another story. In any case, Hoosier was the choice of the fast guys. I know well when we went national of course but while you’re paying attention remind me what year we first had a spec tire.

:rotfl: I remember this ^   :bs:  very well. BUT, there was this guy who opened his own site maybe called, Brothers Two :yep:  Great engine inspection posts on all of course legal engines :nonono: and no original JD to fudge with posters (it's how come Bennett had so many AKA's.) Altho today one of the Brothers Two site owners may screw with the Bench Racer a bit.:bigsquaregrin:

• Jim Drago likes this
Broken record - You are starting to sound like a broken record. Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Tom Hampton

Tom Hampton

Egregious Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,060 posts

lol...I'd forgotten about THAT site.  I only ever lurked, never posted on that one. 

• Jim Drago likes this

-tch

Beta-Tester - Assisted us with beta testing the website. Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Alberto

Alberto

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,471 posts
  • Region:SFR

In San Francisco Region, we have had a Spec Miata Toyo class for at least the last 10 years that I have been racing.  We call it Spec Miata Tire.  The RA1s were the spec before the RR was introduced.  It's awesome.  The RRs last much longer.

• Danica Davison likes this
Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Dave D.

Dave D.

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 199 posts
  • Region:NASA Northeast
  • Car Year:2002

Wasn't there a Hankook tire as a spec tire for a SM class at one time? A Z211 or something like that.

Steve Scheifler

Steve Scheifler

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,816 posts

Wasn't there a Hankook tire as a spec tire for a SM class at one time? A Z211 or something like that.

Yeah, the kooks were just a couple years, I think right as we were forced to drop out for a few, so I had bought just a couple sets to test on. Didn’t like them. Or was it just another option prior to having a spec? They were also used by the early pro series I think.

LarryKing

LarryKing

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,659 posts
The SCCA National spec tire was the RA1 from 2006-2008 and 2010-2011. The Toyo R888 was spec for 2009. The Hoosier became spec in 2012.

Seems like if we had a mandate from the majority of club members we could return to Toyo. That would make racing a lot less expensive for those who race both SCCA and NASA.

Sphinx

Sphinx

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 651 posts
  • Region:ATL

What would the rain tire be?

LarryKing

LarryKing

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,659 posts

In the 'Toyo-era' the rain tire was an unshaved RA1. Much scarier than a Hoosier rain but everyone was in the same boat, and once the tire was worn you could use it in the dry.

Tom Hampton

Tom Hampton

Egregious Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,060 posts

You could also call this SMN (Spec Miata NASA), as this is exactly what NASA runs.  Toyo RR in the dry, and Full-Tread RA1s in the wet. 

-tch

Jim Drago

Jim Drago

East Street Racing / 2 Time National Champion

• Administrators
  • 6,566 posts
  • Region:Mid South
  • Car Year:2005
  • Car Number:2

I dont ever recall a hankook being spec in club racing?  I think they were Spec for the pro series back in the day. 

East Street Auto Parts
Jim@Eaststreet.com
800 700 9080

NASA Champs Winner - NASA Champs Winner Hoosier Super Tour points Champion - Hoosier Super Tour points Champion ARRC Champion - Won the ARRC Race in a Spec Miata Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata BFG Supertour Winner - Majors Winner - Circuit of the Americas Winner - We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner SCCA National Champion - Won SCCA Runoffs at Road America SCCA National Champion - Won SCCA Runoffs at Road America

Steve Scheifler

Steve Scheifler

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,816 posts

I dont ever recall a hankook being spec in club racing? I think they were Spec for the pro series back in the day.

I believe you are correct. We bought some for testing, probably during the spec tire debate. That explains why I don’t recall ever racing on them. Not that any of it matters, just annoying that the sequence of events is becoming blurred.

Tom Hampton

Tom Hampton

Egregious Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,060 posts

...just annoying that the sequence of events is becoming blurred.

:rotfl: :crying2: :laughing: :weeping: :lol: :duck:

• Cnj likes this

-tch

Jim Drago

Jim Drago

East Street Racing / 2 Time National Champion

• Administrators
  • 6,566 posts
  • Region:Mid South
  • Car Year:2005
  • Car Number:2

just annoying that the sequence of events is becoming blurred.

Before Denny posted .. I was about to post Hoosier has been the spec tire since 2006   :wacko:  :noidea:  :butthead:

This getting old stuff is for the birds :)

East Street Auto Parts
Jim@Eaststreet.com
800 700 9080

NASA Champs Winner - NASA Champs Winner Hoosier Super Tour points Champion - Hoosier Super Tour points Champion ARRC Champion - Won the ARRC Race in a Spec Miata Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata BFG Supertour Winner - Majors Winner - Circuit of the Americas Winner - We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner SCCA National Champion - Won SCCA Runoffs at Road America SCCA National Champion - Won SCCA Runoffs at Road America

Steve Scheifler

Steve Scheifler

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,816 posts

:rotfl: :crying2: :laughing: :weeping: :lol: :duck:

Hey Tom, I think Bench has hijacked your account.

Bench Racer

Bench Racer

Different strokes for different folks : )

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,508 posts
  • Region:Milwaukee

This getting old stuff is for the birds :)

$hit JD Jr., your to young to have a clue about getting old.:crying2:  Crap, even Danny's just maturing, old is the next faze after mature. :yep:

Broken record - You are starting to sound like a broken record. Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Toyo, Hoosier

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users