Jim Drago

Jim Drago

East Street Racing / 2 Time National Champion

• Administrators
  • 6,566 posts
  • Region:Mid South
  • Car Year:2005
  • Car Number:2
Many have the wrong interpretation of bump drafting, especially newer drivers to the class. Here is my 2 minute explanation of who, when and where.

First of all, if it is a hit of more than 5 MPH difference in speed, it is a collision, not a bump draft. YOU SHOULD go around if closing by more than a few MPH.

MOST use bump drafting WAY too much and incorrectly IMO. The only time I bump anyone is if it is a team mate or a competitor who is running the same
times as I am. Then only if I am barely getting back to his bumper on the straights. If we are the same speed in the corners and I am faster on straights, I ALWAYS go around. The only time I will ever stay behind a car that I am faster than is if that person is a team mate and we are working together to catch the leaders. I must stress, in that case, the other car is running almost identical times to me. NEVER push a car more than .5+ a lap slower than you for any reason.

Here is an example of when you should go around and not push :) When your tow hook spears through a bumper cover and through an aluminum rebar, that is a pretty good indication :) The next step is a broken diff housing. I have seen that happen several times, thankfully, never to me.

Posted Image

Posted Image
  • john mueller likes this

East Street Auto Parts
Jim@Eaststreet.com
800 700 9080

NASA Champs Winner - NASA Champs Winner Hoosier Super Tour points Champion - Hoosier Super Tour points Champion ARRC Champion - Won the ARRC Race in a Spec Miata Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata BFG Supertour Winner - Majors Winner - Circuit of the Americas Winner - We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner SCCA National Champion - Won SCCA Runoffs at Road America SCCA National Champion - Won SCCA Runoffs at Road America

tony senese

tony senese

Not racing bicycles again!!

• SMembers
  • PipPipPip
  • 177 posts
  • Region:Northeast
  • Car Year:1997
  • Car Number:99
I believe we call that slam drafting...... and everyone would be well served to remember its cousin, slam dancing and the havoc that causes!!!!

Phew...... that was a close one!

Tony Senese
NASA-NE SM Director
'06, '08, '11, '12, '13, '14

NASA-NE SM champ

Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Bruce Wilson

Bruce Wilson

Gold Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 663 posts
  • Region:Oregon
  • Car Year:1991
  • Car Number:68
Somebody miss a shift? :)

I have an opinion so I must be right

Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata Survivalist - Won 25 Hours at Thunderhill! We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Caveman-kwebb99

Caveman-kwebb99

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,062 posts
  • Region:Great lakes
  • Car Year:2000
  • Car Number:99
So... You were going 5mph or more slower than someone? Dude your slipping!!!!!! the Gas is the one on the Right, you know, that one that you bent the living hell out of :)

K. Webb
Powered by East Street Racing (Best engines in Spec Miata)

Driver coach, Spec Miata Prep shop, Spec Miata Setup

2016 Hard Charger award passing 12 cars runoffs 2016 Mid Ohio

2016 P3 RUNOFFS OVER 40 DIVISION LOL!

2015 First consolation prize Northern Conference Majors Title Pageant
2015 Winner Circus Cat Majors Road America

2015 Winner BlackHawk Majors crash fest

My Signature is still not as long as Danny boy's

Donor - Made PayPal donation Majors Winner - Chatterbox - Blah blah blah... Blah blah blah Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+

LarryKing

LarryKing

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,659 posts
Well done Jim. I hope everyone sees this and takes it to heart.

IMO bump drafting helps the bumpee more than the bumper (providing it's not a slam) Personally, if I can get to someone's bumper I'm going to try to pass them, not help them.

(You should see what happens when the entire field whoas-up after the checker flag... except for one guy)
  • Jim Drago likes this
2017 - SMSE SEDiv ECR Champion
Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Mitch Reading

Mitch Reading

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 265 posts
  • Car Number:65
Jim, great post.
Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+ Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Alberto

Alberto

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,471 posts
  • Region:SFR
  • Car Year:1990
My first experiences in SM with "bump drafting" qualifies as collisions. I'm 8-10 seconds off pace in my rookie season with a bright orange rookie plate and a couple of shiny happy people decide to slam into my bumper rather than going around me for some reason. Happened in quali as well as race. I especially appreciated being "bump drafted" going into a braking zone setting up for a corner and then again at the exit when I got slowed down keeping the car under control.

Almost seems like some people think of it as a rookie initiation. It stopped once I threatened to file paper at a driver meeting.

Jim Creighton

Jim Creighton

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 430 posts
  • Region:Atlanta
  • Car Number:53
Watching the "bump drafting" at Homestead was a treat. One incidence of bump drafting resulted in the driver of the bump drafted car having to reach up and pull his helmet back down on his head. Another wasn't quite as bad but I did see his entire body go back and then so far forward that he was straddle the steering wheel with his whole body. Funniest thing was watching a lapped car pull way down & out of the way so Von C did not "bump draft" him.
  • Glenn likes this

Ron Alan

Ron Alan

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,732 posts
  • Car Year:1995

Almost seems like some people think of it as a rookie initiation. It stopped once I threatened to file paper at a driver meeting.

No chance it stopped...you just got a little quicker and or move sooner ;) It's part of the game...but only(as Jim says)at very similar speeds...and on the straights!

Ron

RAmotorsports

granracing

granracing

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 153 posts
Do most regions look the other way towards bump drafting? I've been at a few events where stewards sent out warnings to groups that if they saw bump drafting, cars would be black flagged. It would be nice if the ruling were consistently applied. There sure is an advantage using it in situations like Jim referenced at certain tracks.
Dave Gran
Want to learn how to begin racing, tips on building / buying a racecar,
becoming a front-running drive, or get vehicle reviews
from a motorsports enthusiast perspective? Visit our free site:
GoAheadTakeTheWheel.com

LarryKing

LarryKing

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,659 posts

It's part of the game...

No it's not. First time at VIR many years ago Squirrel got a "Welcome to VIR" slam in the climbing esses for no other reason than because they could. Moose thinks it's bullshit.

This stuff ain't dangerous enough for y'all without playing grab-ass at 90 mph?
2017 - SMSE SEDiv ECR Champion

Bruce Wilson

Bruce Wilson

Gold Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 663 posts
That's not bump drafting. Bump drafting is when you are working with someone to either stay in line or widen a gap. Everything else is just roughing someone up, which is not part of the game and should garner a visit to the steward -- during the session. I usually play the (real) bumpdrafting game with friends, teammates, or when I get the hand signal. It's that missed shift (other guy) while I'm checking my mirror that causes problems :)

Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata Survivalist - Won 25 Hours at Thunderhill! We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Keith Andrews

Keith Andrews

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 732 posts
  • Region:CCR, SE
  • Car Year:1999
  • Car Number:26
Agreed Jim, I know there have been times where I thought it was the right thing to do and other times I realized it just wasn't.

The best one I had was coming out of a corner behind a guy and having him wave me up and then he missed a shift WHAM DAMN :bash: the result was similar to your bumper.

Jim Drago

Jim Drago

East Street Racing / 2 Time National Champion

• Administrators
  • 6,566 posts
  • Region:Mid South
  • Car Year:2005
  • Car Number:2
Also at Homestead, as we were lapping a car, the lapped car raced the leaders as we passed him, gave us all the bump draft sign and seemed really mad that no one pushed him. :bash: Also raced me deep into turn 1-2 and caused me to drop a two wheels at two, didn't lose a position, but I was catching first and second, after that I lost contact. I mistakenly assumed a lapped car wouldn't race me for to the corner, I was wrong. That's what I get for assuming. :sorry:

East Street Auto Parts
Jim@Eaststreet.com
800 700 9080

NASA Champs Winner - NASA Champs Winner Hoosier Super Tour points Champion - Hoosier Super Tour points Champion ARRC Champion - Won the ARRC Race in a Spec Miata Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata BFG Supertour Winner - Majors Winner - Circuit of the Americas Winner - We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner SCCA National Champion - Won SCCA Runoffs at Road America SCCA National Champion - Won SCCA Runoffs at Road America

Randy Thieme

Randy Thieme

• SMembers
  • PipPipPip
  • 277 posts
  • Car Year:1993
  • Car Number:51

Do most regions look the other way towards bump drafting? I've been at a few events where stewards sent out warnings to groups that if they saw bump drafting, cars would be black flagged. It would be nice if the ruling were consistently applied. There sure is an advantage using it in situations like Jim referenced at certain tracks.

This was before my time but apparantly a few years ago at PIR there was a famous (or infamous) episode where a frustrated steward taped mustard packets to the bumpers of the Spec Miata's. If your mustard packet was broken at the end of the session you were in trouble.
Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+ Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Bruce Wilson

Bruce Wilson

Gold Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 663 posts

This was before my time but apparantly a few years ago at PIR there was a famous (or infamous) episode where a frustrated steward taped mustard packets to the bumpers of the Spec Miata's. If your mustard packet was broken at the end of the session you were in trouble.

Proved to be useless. Have you ever tried to open a mustard packet :D
  • Jim Drago and dawson like this

Glenn

Glenn

Mid Pack Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 864 posts
  • Region:SE

Tried it at Summit Point 2 years ago......they will NEVER do that again Mike ate their lunch!!!!

Glenn Murphey, Crew Chief
Owner Crew Chief Services The Pinnacle of Excellence, Contract Crew Services for the racing community.
Soon to be back in the club racing scene for good ;)

Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Rob Burgoon

Rob Burgoon

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,465 posts
  • Car Number:91

Tried it at Summit Point 2 years ago......they will NEVER do that again Mike ate their lunch!!!!

A very dry and uncondimenty lunch no doubt.
Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill - Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations!

Ron Alan

Ron Alan

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,732 posts

No it's not. First time at VIR many years ago Squirrel got a "Welcome to VIR" slam in the climbing esses for no other reason than because they could. Moose thinks it's bullshit.

This stuff ain't dangerous enough for y'all without playing grab-ass at 90 mph?

Don't get me wrong, I agree with you...mistakes can be made in a high speed push. I'm just saying it's not going to stop as a practice...especially the cooperative portion. The unexpected push or very hard "tap" is uncalled for. Missed shifts aren't part of this equation as most drive around those...it's when they occur and the following car can't react that things get a little. lets say, "bumpy" I think Jims definition of collision is accurate in these cases :yep:

Ron

RAmotorsports

FTodaro

FTodaro

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,084 posts
  • Region:Great Lakes
  • Car Year:2001
  • Car Number:35
Can we also talk about the folks who want to bump draft at the entry to the corner which is likely not to friendly,

Jim that looked to be a pritty good lick, it looks like you were used as a brake to slow down.

Frank
TnT Racing
SCCA Ohio Valley Region

Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+ We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Donor - Made PayPal donation

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users