• Please log in to reply
41 replies to this topic

LarryKing

LarryKing

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,659 posts

I'm just saying it's not going to stop as a practice...especially the cooperative portion.

I have no problem with making a deal with someone before the race to work together and try to move forward. I usually wait for a hand signal before bump-drafting. But "initiations" or whatever you want to call that ass-hattery will get a RFA from this moose.

+1 Frank - nothing 'friendly' about a brake zone bump.
2017 - SMSE SEDiv ECR Champion
Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Bench Racer

Bench Racer

Different strokes for different folks : )

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,508 posts
  • Region:Milwaukee
  • Car Year:1990
  • Car Number:14

Can we also talk about the folks who want to bump draft at the entry to the corner which is likely not to friendly,

It works well in NASCAR.
Broken record - You are starting to sound like a broken record. Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

LarryKing

LarryKing

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,659 posts
Except for the "Big One".

CruzanTom

CruzanTom

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 295 posts
  • Region:Southeast
  • Car Year:1999
  • Car Number:44

Can we also talk about the folks who want to bump draft at the entry to the corner which is likely not to friendly,

How about the dreaded "side bump and no draft?"

http://youtu.be/8JudUShacfg

Tom Hart

#44 SM and T-4

2014 SC Driver of the Year

2015 SE Championship Series Spec Miata Champion

2016 SE Championship Series Spec Miata Champion

We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Donor - Made PayPal donation

Rob Burgoon

Rob Burgoon

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,465 posts
  • Car Year:1995
  • Car Number:91
FWIW, I'll bump anyone on the straight, particularly at Auto Club speedway. If metal doesn't bend, it wasn't too hard. If a concerted national effort is made to ban it, I'm just going to pack my bags for NASA since I don't want to argue with officals about whether I was close, pushing, or whether my opponents were.

That said, don't be bumping people if you have sharp things attached to your nose (duh).
  • Glenn likes this
Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill - Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations!

LarryKing

LarryKing

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,659 posts

I'll bump anyone on the straight

Why?

Rob Burgoon

Rob Burgoon

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,465 posts

Why?

Both cars go faster. Jim Drago's 0.5 second rule only works for most tracks, not ACS. Also, sometimes you're not close enough to attempt the pass so you might as well both go faster.
Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill - Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations!

LarryKing

LarryKing

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,659 posts
If you're close enough to bump them you're close enough to pass.

HoneyBadger - BrianW

HoneyBadger - BrianW

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 416 posts
  • Region:Southwest
  • Car Year:1999
  • Car Number:59

I disagree with that statement. The draft allows you less wind resistance on a longer straight. I have "tried" to pull out and pass people that I was 1 or 2 mph faster than. As soon as I pulled out of the draft and into the full effect of the headwind, I quickly lost that 1-2mph and could not even get along side, let alone complete the pass.
  • Glenn likes this
Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+ Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

LarryKing

LarryKing

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,659 posts
Timing is everything.

Rob Burgoon

Rob Burgoon

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,465 posts

Ha, maybe with those crappy SCCA right of way rules. Look out, I've got 4 inches of overlap! Yield!

Jim Drago

Jim Drago

East Street Racing / 2 Time National Champion

• Administrators
  • 6,566 posts
  • Region:Mid South
  • Car Year:2005
  • Car Number:2
I have no problem with bump drafting, even an occasional hit that is harder than it should be. I think like everything, there is a time and place. Done correctly bump drafting makes sense. My point was I think we need to use a little common sense. If we don't want SCCA to put an end to legitimate bump drafting and start enforcing every instance nose to tail contact, common sense needs to be applied. When bump drafting damages bumper covers or bumper supports, breaks diff housings, loosens fillings etc, it isn't done correctly. GO AROUND! Sure little roughed up paint is fine, but if you knocking off the cover or doing significant damage to front of your car or rear of the guy you are pushing, that is a problem. I am not blameless here either, I have done all of the above at some point as well.

Jim

East Street Auto Parts
Jim@Eaststreet.com
800 700 9080

NASA Champs Winner - NASA Champs Winner Hoosier Super Tour points Champion - Hoosier Super Tour points Champion ARRC Champion - Won the ARRC Race in a Spec Miata Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata BFG Supertour Winner - Majors Winner - Circuit of the Americas Winner - We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner SCCA National Champion - Won SCCA Runoffs at Road America SCCA National Champion - Won SCCA Runoffs at Road America

Jim Boemler

Jim Boemler

Veteran Member

• Moderators
  • 852 posts
  • Region:NWR
  • Car Year:1992
  • Car Number:30

Ha, maybe with those crappy SCCA right of way rules. Look out, I've got 4 inches of overlap! Yield!

Funny, but Brain's right. It probably makes a difference how long the straight is -- up here both of our major tracks have very long straights. Might be different on short straights.

BTW, I agree with Jim -- damage is a good indicator. Unfortunately the stewards in my area long ago started treating any fore-aft touching on the straights as "avoidable contact", which is really too bad for the Miatas.

FTodaro

FTodaro

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,084 posts
  • Region:Great Lakes
  • Car Year:2001
  • Car Number:35
I generally will only bump people I know or people i am irritated with. Wait, that is everyone almost.
  • john mueller likes this

Frank
TnT Racing
SCCA Ohio Valley Region

Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+ We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Donor - Made PayPal donation

Qik Nip

Qik Nip

Loose Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPip
  • 413 posts
  • Region:Cincinnati
  • Car Year:1990
  • Car Number:60
The only non-invitational bump I'll give is at the race start and then only if I know the guy to be bumped ... and then only if he's clear to his front.
Rick

2009, 2010 & 2011 SCCA Great Lakes Div. Reg. SM Champ
2006, 2009, 2010 & 2011 Cincy SCCA Reg. Driver of the year