FTodaro

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,084 posts
  • Region:Great Lakes
  • Car Year:2001
  • Car Number:35
With all the excitement today about cheating, I am not sure I know exactly how each of the organizations SCCA/ NASA deal with it beyond an immediate DQ.

I think there are two types of cheats the intentional and the unintentional, it may be hard to prove an unintentional but lets take the example we were told today you bought someones car and unknown to you its got illegal parts.

But what about the other case were its pretty clear the owner has a full understanding of his equipment and the problem is in no way anything other than an intended, but Opps, I got caught deal.

Is it all up to the discretion of the man in charge at the event? do they ever issue suspensions of car or driver for a future event or DQ from going to the Nationals or Runoffs?

I have to admit I have not studied the SCCA points system against your license maybe that answers it.

Personally being put in the hall of shame in front of all they guys I am trying to earn the respect of is a big enough deterrent for me, but what about the other consequences of accumulated points, and contingency money that may have been paid out. It seams that the problem is bigger than just getting a DQ.

Frank
TnT Racing
SCCA Ohio Valley Region

Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+ We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Donor - Made PayPal donation

Andrew Charbonneau

Andrew Charbonneau

Royal P.I.T.A.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 912 posts
  • Region:83
  • Car Year:1967
  • Car Number:67

With all the excitement today about cheating, I am not sure I know exactly how each of the organizations SCCA/ NASA deal with it beyond an immediate DQ.

I think there are two types of cheats the intentional and the unintentional, it may be hard to prove an unintentional but lets take the example we were told today you bought someones car and unknown to you its got illegal parts.

But what about the other case were its pretty clear the owner has a full understanding of his equipment and the problem is in no way anything other than an intended, but Opps, I got caught deal.

Is it all up to the discretion of the man in charge at the event? do they ever issue suspensions of car or driver for a future event or DQ from going to the Nationals or Runoffs?

I have to admit I have not studied the SCCA points system against your license maybe that answers it.

Personally being put in the hall of shame in front of all they guys I am trying to earn the respect of is a big enough deterrent for me, but what about the other consequences of accumulated points, and contingency money that may have been paid out. It seams that the problem is bigger than just getting a DQ.

+1
Satire is primarily a literary genre or form, although in practice it can also be found in the graphic and performing arts. In satire, vices, follies, abuses, and shortcomings are held up to ridicule, ideally with the intent of shaming individuals, and society itself, into improvement.[1] Although satire is usually meant to be funny, its greater purpose is often constructive social criticism, using wit as a weapon.
SCCA National Champion - Won SCCA Runoffs at Road America Survivalist - Won 25 Hours at Thunderhill! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other

Glenn

Glenn

Mid Pack Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 864 posts
  • Region:SE

Ask Gorrilla what happens.........

Glenn Murphey, Crew Chief
Owner Crew Chief Services The Pinnacle of Excellence, Contract Crew Services for the racing community.
Soon to be back in the club racing scene for good ;)

Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

FTodaro

FTodaro

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,084 posts
  • Region:Great Lakes
  • Car Year:2001
  • Car Number:35

That was the only example I could think of but as I understood it that was not the first time and there was allot of other BS going on that weekend. But good point, a one year suspension is a pretty big deal, and appropriate under the right circumstances.

Frank
TnT Racing
SCCA Ohio Valley Region

Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+ We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Donor - Made PayPal donation

Rob Burgoon

Rob Burgoon

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,465 posts
  • Car Year:1995
  • Car Number:91

Wasn't that mostly for conduct on and off the track, not prep infractions?
Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill - Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations!

Glenn

Glenn

Mid Pack Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 864 posts

Bottom line it was for the "tech" infraction. More to the point, the Sanctioning body did issue the penality and others are honoring that penality as well. Should we be issuing this type of penality for every infraction, pattern of behavior, or only for blatent willful infractions is a topic that will never see consencies! Im with the the Fla boys here, start picking some mid pack guys and do some of teh less invasive tech items and see what happens to the class :king: . It will be better!
  • Caveman-kwebb99 likes this

Owner Crew Chief Services The Pinnacle of Excellence, Contract Crew Services for the racing community.

Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

KentCarter

KentCarter

Future Never Has Been

• SMembers
  • PipPipPip
  • 280 posts
  • Region:Southwest
  • Car Year:1990
  • Car Number:91
Ask subframe sammy....
Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+ Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Alex Bolanos

Alex Bolanos

The Cuban Missile

• SMembers
  • PipPipPip
  • 355 posts
  • Region:FL
  • Car Year:1999
  • Car Number:57
From the NASA CCR:

17.7 Class Rule Compliance
Each competition vehicle must conform to a published set of rules for its class. Any
competitor found to have qualified or raced a competition vehicle found to have
unauthorized modifications may be penalized. NASA Impound Inspectors will determine
legality of modifications to competition vehicles. Any modification(s) to performance
items, whether it is a performance advantage or not, will be termed “illegal,” and
subject to penalties. Performance items are those items that, if modified, could
potentially increase performance. For example, a missing headlight would not
necessarily be considered illegal, and normally, the competitor would be required to
make corrections without penalties. Class rules supersede rules found in the CCR
anytime that there is a conflict.

Can't find where the penalties are laid out but I would think that for an issue such as what happened in FL that the driver would lose all of their points for the year at a minimum....

Alex Bolanos - #57 
Sponsored by Autotechnik, Momo USA, Apex Alignment, and Amazon.com

Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Majors Winner - We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! NASA Champs Winner - NASA Champs Winner

MPR22

MPR22

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,138 posts
  • Region:Southwest
  • Car Year:1999
  • Car Number:22

Ask subframe sammy....

Shcck Sammy
Shock Sammy
Control Arm Sammy
  • KentCarter likes this
Shattering - For those who cant drink tequila NASA Champs Winner - NASA Champs Winner Majors Winner - Novel Approach - When a paragraph simply won't do... We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Donor - Made PayPal donation

Glenn

Glenn

Mid Pack Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 864 posts

From the NASA CCR:

17.7 Class Rule Compliance
Each competition vehicle must conform to a published set of rules for its class. Any
competitor found to have qualified or raced a competition vehicle found to have
unauthorized modifications may be penalized. NASA Impound Inspectors will determine
legality of modifications to competition vehicles. Any modification(s) to performance
items, whether it is a performance advantage or not, will be termed “illegal,” and
subject to penalties. Performance items are those items that, if modified, could
potentially increase performance. For example, a missing headlight would not
necessarily be considered illegal, and normally, the competitor would be required to
make corrections without penalties. Class rules supersede rules found in the CCR
anytime that there is a conflict.

Can't find where the penalties are laid out but I would think that for an issue such as what happened in FL that the driver would lose all of their points for the year at a minimum....

The NASA folks can and do make immediate determinations that are generally non-negotiable. IE the NASA Championship event where decisions were made regarding several infractions.

Bench Racer

Bench Racer

Different strokes for different folks : )

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,508 posts
  • Region:Milwaukee
  • Car Year:1990
  • Car Number:14

Yes, while he was on probation for on track stuff from earlier in the week. The twelve months is for a RFA results for the race pre T8 contact.
Broken record - You are starting to sound like a broken record. Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Scott McKay

Scott McKay

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 19 posts
  • Region:Florida
  • Car Year:1996
  • Car Number:31
You really want your tech done at a regional level, I promise you that. A few years ago I had a qual race time at Nationals DQ'd in my Factory Five because the original builder had the fuel tank an inch too low, and I had to start from dead last in the championship race. Had that been found at a regional race, I would have fixed it. As it was, we still fixed it at the Nationals, but winning a race when starting from last is a lot to ask. Then again, had they not found it at the qual race, but found it after the main race, your entire race gets DQ'd, and that makes for a long, lonesome drive home.

All of that said, its kind of irksome to have people fail tech. I bring a 100% legal car to the track wanting to win, and beat the car half to death to try to do that, when in reality I don't have a prayer of winning. I also don't put much time into prep, so I guess I get what I deserve, but it's still frustrating. Once cams and heads start coming out of cars, that will be even more interesting I bet.
Three Time NASA National Champion

Andrew Charbonneau

Andrew Charbonneau

Royal P.I.T.A.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 912 posts
  • Region:83
  • Car Year:1967
  • Car Number:67

Ask subframe sammy....

or shocking sammy
Satire is primarily a literary genre or form, although in practice it can also be found in the graphic and performing arts. In satire, vices, follies, abuses, and shortcomings are held up to ridicule, ideally with the intent of shaming individuals, and society itself, into improvement.[1] Although satire is usually meant to be funny, its greater purpose is often constructive social criticism, using wit as a weapon.
SCCA National Champion - Won SCCA Runoffs at Road America Survivalist - Won 25 Hours at Thunderhill! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other

Glenn

Glenn

Mid Pack Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 864 posts

You really want your tech done at a regional level, I promise you that. A few years ago I had a qual race time at Nationals DQ'd in my Factory Five because the original builder had the fuel tank an inch too low, and I had to start from dead last in the championship race. Had that been found at a regional race, I would have fixed it. As it was, we still fixed it at the Nationals, but winning a race when starting from last is a lot to ask. Then again, had they not found it at the qual race, but found it after the main race, your entire race gets DQ'd, and that makes for a long, lonesome drive home.

All of that said, its kind of irksome to have people fail tech. I bring a 100% legal car to the track wanting to win, and beat the car half to death to try to do that, when in reality I don't have a prayer of winning. I also don't put much time into prep, so I guess I get what I deserve, but it's still frustrating. Once cams and heads start coming out of cars, that will be even more interesting I bet.

EXACTLY! At the NASA championships a car was found noncompilant that SHOULD have been found at a local level. The owner never knew the car was non-compliant as he did'nd build/modify it. Yes they should have known, but how many times has a TECH guy looked at YOUR heaterbox :scratchchin: I bet NEVER, and its a SIMPLE tech item.
  • JRHille likes this

Caveman-kwebb99

Caveman-kwebb99

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,062 posts
  • Region:Great lakes
  • Car Year:2000
  • Car Number:99

EXACTLY! At the NASA championships a car was found noncompilant that SHOULD have been found at a local level. The owner never knew the car was non-compliant as he did'nd build/modify it. Yes they should have known, but how many times has a TECH guy looked at YOUR heaterbox :scratchchin: I bet NEVER, and its a SIMPLE tech item.

It's a .5 second a lap modification IMO HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

K. Webb