Keith Andrews

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 732 posts
  • Region:CCR, SE
  • Car Year:1999
  • Car Number:26
I almost didn't want to watch the video when I saw the starting position of the dogs. The thought of you and Jamie spooning in Savanna had me going. You surprised me AC.
Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

plane

plane

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 62 posts
  • Region:Utah
  • Car Year:1992
  • Car Number:71
So I am thinking about this heater core issue. There are rules that really affect cost and performance (wheel weights, suspension measurements, bores, brake sizes etc..) then there are weird rules that have almost zero affect on cost or performance, as long as total weight is OK. So why is a heater core a big issue? I know it is because it is a rule and has to be followed, but why the rule in the first place? It seems we have some overly technical/non-performance rule that take time away from officials being able to check the real performance enhancing cheats.

I am all for following the rules (and really get upset at people who perposefully run SM with turn signal vents and louvered headlight covers), but fewer rules are easier to enforce then more and some of our rules seem like legacies of a long time ago.

James York

James York

AKA Cajun Miata Man; Overdog Driver

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 898 posts
  • Region:Houston
  • Car Year:2003
  • Car Number:03

So I am thinking about this heater core issue. There are rules that really affect cost and performance (wheel weights, suspension measurements, bores, brake sizes etc..) then there are weird rules that have almost zero affect on cost or performance, as long as total weight is OK. So why is a heater core a big issue? I know it is because it is a rule and has to be followed, but why the rule in the first place? It seems we have some overly technical/non-performance rule that take time away from officials being able to check the real performance enhancing cheats.

I am all for following the rules (and really get upset at people who perposefully run SM with turn signal vents and louvered headlight covers), but fewer rules are easier to enforce then more and some of our rules seem like legacies of a long time ago.

In a nutshell, for simplicity sake the rules say what you are allowed to do. The default in our ruleset is not do anything you want, but limit it to whatever is spelled out in the GCR.

Your post hit the nail on the head..." then there are weird rules that have almost zero affect on cost or performance,..." You said almost zero. Competition is fierce in SM, if it's slightly seen as a gain in performance you'll have everybody making all sorts of unauthorized changes to get that 1/10% advantage.

The rules are simple enough and it doesn't lead to "interpetation" of somone's idea of what helps performance. Your issue is a heater core, another fellow might want to remove the factory dash, then next guy something else minor .... Then what? You really get a tech nightmare because nobody knows what non-performance modification can and can't be done.

You got 3 choices
1) Put your parts back in
2) Write the CRB for a rule change to permit removal of parts
3) Leave as is and take your chances that it will never bite you.
  • KentCarter likes this

James York

sponsored by:
Stan's Auto Center, Lafayette LA

powered by:
East Street Racing, Memphis TN

2003 Spec Miata

Jamz14

Jamz14

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,310 posts
One possible reason for the heater core being a big deal is weight distribution. Granted, probably not the intention of the spec body, but if removed, you have changed the weight balance. Minor yes, but if minor to remove, then minor to leave it in.......so leave it in and move on.
Broken record - You are starting to sound like a broken record. Donor - Made PayPal donation Sponsor / Advertiser - Site sponsor / advertiser... support these guys! Novel Approach - When a paragraph simply won't do... Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+ Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

LarryKing

LarryKing

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,659 posts
The actual reason for retaining the heater core is the original spec was based on the SCCA showroom stock rulebook. The rules have become somewhat perverted over time.
2017 - SMSE SEDiv ECR Champion
Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Jim Drago

Jim Drago

East Street Racing / 2 Time National Champion

• Administrators
  • 6,566 posts
  • Region:Mid South
  • Car Year:2005
  • Car Number:2
Someone could always send in a letter asking it to be allowed to be removed. I ALWAYS run a heater core as I like having a defrost.. But does seem pointless to leave it in if you bypass it anyway

East Street Auto Parts
Jim@Eaststreet.com
800 700 9080

NASA Champs Winner - NASA Champs Winner Hoosier Super Tour points Champion - Hoosier Super Tour points Champion ARRC Champion - Won the ARRC Race in a Spec Miata Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata BFG Supertour Winner - Majors Winner - Circuit of the Americas Winner - We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner SCCA National Champion - Won SCCA Runoffs at Road America SCCA National Champion - Won SCCA Runoffs at Road America

davew

davew

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,297 posts
  • Region:Chicago
  • Car Number:72
As a former member of the SMAC, I wrote a lot of the rules that are currently in print. I have had to explain this several times and my best example is as follows.

The rules are set as a speed limit. You can do anything you want until you reach the limit and then you have to slow down and maintain that speed. SM rules are written the same way, you do all the things listed. But when you get to the limit, you have to stop modifying the car or you are illegal. Remember 56mph in a 55 zone is illegal, even if no cop catches you.

Heater system components are really a bad example. They are required for good reason. We race in the rain, defrosters really help visibility. IF, heater components where allowed to be removed, we would then have to allow ducting to be fabricated and blowers to be installed. And there are lots of people who would spend thou$and$ of dollars to save 10 pounds in the front half of the car. You can argue cost vs benefit, but to some people no cost is too great.

Heater cores are allowed to be bypassed because most cage designs would make it very difficult to change a leaking heater core, So bypassing has been legal since the very beginning. But removal has always been illegal. Sometimes logic is used. Many years ago we specificly allowed the removal of the horn, but up untill that point, the horn had to be there.

Local tech around here is getting better. At the Blackhawk National they checked everyones master switch as they exited the scales. They have checked rotor dimensions and alternator voltage. Most races have a fuel check. I consider this a vast improvement over inspecting my socks and asking for my shop manual!

I seem to remember the SMAC making a list of non-invasive items that could be inspected easily by impound. These where designed to find many of these "weinie" items. It included the horn and battery voltage. But also included some basic things like, turn on the blower and see if it makes noise, basic roll cage design (this was when the 2 door bar rule was first implimented), sway bar measurements, air box visual inspection, etc. If a reference guide was created, and one tech inspecter from each region was assigned to look at 2 cars after each session, most of the se infractions could be found in a 10 minute, non-invasive lookover.

Just my opinion
Dave

Dave Wheeler
Advanced Autosports, the nations most complete Spec Miata shop
Author, Spec Miata Constructors Guide, version 1 and 2.0

Building Championship winning cars since 1995

4 time Central Division Spec Miata Champion car builder 2012-2013-2014-2017

Back to Back June Sprints Spec Miata 1-2 finishes 2016 and 2017

5 time June Sprints winner in Mazda's

6 Time Northern Conference Champion Car Builder

2014 SCCA Majors National point Champion car builder

2014 SCCA Runoffs winner, T4 (Bender)

2014 Central Division Champion, ITS (Wheeler)

2013 Thunderhill 25 hour winning crew chief

2007 June Sprints winner, (GT1, Mohrhauser)

Over 200 race wins and counting.
www.advanced-autosports.com
dave@advanced-autosports.com
608-313-1230

Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill - Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Sponsor / Advertiser - Site sponsor / advertiser... support these guys! Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

William Keeling

William Keeling

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 277 posts
  • Region:Houston Region
  • Car Number:11
I use it as an extra radiator and defroster
  • dstevens likes this

William Keeling

James York

James York

AKA Cajun Miata Man; Overdog Driver

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 898 posts
  • Region:Houston
  • Car Year:2003
  • Car Number:03

I use it as an extra radiator and defroster

I thought you looked thinner the last I saw you. That sweatbox must be working for you! :duck:

James York

sponsored by:
Stan's Auto Center, Lafayette LA