Charlie Hayes

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 513 posts
  • Region:West Coast
  • Car Year:1999
  • Car Number:22

Incredibly impressive numbers...can't believe the size of Group 7.....but, even with those numbers, can anyone take down Mr. Sutherland?? Go Ken!

And good luck to all the Oregon boys....be safe everyone.

Bill-

From the data I gathered a few guys on toyos should still be a threat to people on the Hoosiers. Best of luck to everyone even with the uneven playing fields. Really upset my car isn't together for this race.
Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill - Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill

Sean Allen

Sean Allen

My title is unique

• SMembers
  • PipPipPip
  • 96 posts
  • Region:SFR

From the data I gathered a few guys on toyos should still be a threat to people on the Hoosiers. Best of luck to everyone even with the uneven playing fields. Really upset my car isn't together for this race.

You can swing by and grab mine if you want. Don't think I'll be driving it any time soon, might as well let it get some use!
Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

bob carter

bob carter

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • Region:fs
  • Car Year:1990
  • Car Number:14
Anybody have practice times? fastest on each tire? top 10 ? s

slapin

slapin

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
  • Region:California
Hey all, I'm new to the site and I plan on making an introductory email plastered with a litany of questions later. Anyone know what time the racing kicks off tomorrow and whether SM's are tomorrow or Sunday or both? I want to come and spectate and maybe meet some people and learn a bit more about ways to get involved. Any advice and guidance would be appreciated.

Cheers,

Steve

ToddW

ToddW

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 71 posts
  • Car Year:1992
  • Car Number:67
Steve,
Weekend schedule:

http://www.sfrscca.o...tionalsched.pdf
Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Joe (dad) Jordan

Joe (dad) Jordan

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 310 posts
  • Region:San Diego
  • Car Year:1991
  • Car Number:47
You can download a phone app and get live timing and scoring at race monitor if you have a smart phone,

Qualifying live now!

Joe Jordan the turd.....Joey is IV or quatro!

Ran in Firestone Firehawk in a Miata in 1994

Speedvision Cup Miata's 95-99

World Challenge Miata in 2000 AT MRLS

Had 3 Rookie of the year winners "Rising Stars" In IMSA

Kids now racing...Started them in Lemons Miata we built into the 2013 Western Division SCCA Majors Champion!

6th at 50th SCCA Runoffs in SM OPM's Rental 01

2nd fastest race lap at the Runoffs.

2014 Teen Mazda Challenge (west) Champ!

2015 Pirelli World Challenge Round 15 Winner in TCB and round 16,17,and 18 Winner!

Charlie Hayes

Charlie Hayes

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 513 posts
Looks like the hoosiers were best on Lap 2. Oregon guys are 1-2-3 over all with Ken on top with a 1:55.5. Darin Polsley bested a 1:55.9 in qualifying on the toyos, it should be good to see how it unfolds tomorrow. I think there are to many cars on track, yellows in both even and odd qualifying sessions...
Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill - Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill

Ron Alan

Ron Alan

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,732 posts
  • Car Year:1995
The race should be eventful...Hoosiers and Toyos running together. Great to see some past fast drivers come out and show the current crop a thing or 2! Many drivers starting 11th-20th that are not used to being outside the top 3 rows...will be very interesting to say the least. 18 laps....bets on double yellows??

Ron

RAmotorsports

Rob Burgoon

Rob Burgoon

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,465 posts
  • Car Number:91

18 laps....bets on double yellows??

no more than 9 green flag laps OR a red.
Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill - Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations!

Sean Allen

Sean Allen

My title is unique

• SMembers
  • PipPipPip
  • 96 posts
Keep us posted!

Mark

Mark

• SMembers
  • PipPipPip
  • 229 posts
  • Region:Sopac
Live timing and scoring here:

http://www.sfrscca.o.../view/9435/285/

Mark

Mark
markn@ironcanyonmotorsports.com
Iron Canyon Motorsports

Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+ Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Charlie Hayes

Charlie Hayes

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 513 posts
Only had 2 FCY's that lasted a few laps. They were back to back so no real advantages or disadvantages made with tire strategies. Ended up being a Toyo 1-2-3. Everyone drove a great race very fun to watch, but hard to sit on the hill for...Not getting into any of the drama because thats not my problem.

They qualified today for tomorrows race and Ken bested Darin by .06 for pole on the hoosiers. I expect a better race tomorrow.

Todd Tagget

Todd Tagget

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 441 posts
  • Car Year:1991
  • Car Number:42
Some great racing today! What happened to Ken's lead? I didn't think anyone would catch him then suddenly he was back in 6th or 7th ?
Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Ron Alan

Ron Alan

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,732 posts
I hope someone will correct me if my facts are wrong but this is what I heard via the grapevine. The winner today (who started 8th I believe)was protested for passing under double yellow. Videos were reviewed along with statements and no penalty was assessed for the winner. Other incidents of contact were reviewed for the front group and again no penalties...which included contact between Ken and Darin which led to Ken spinning and losing the lead( to answer Todds question above).

Though I'm not a fan of starting the National racers in with the Regional guys on Toyos, it made for a crazy top 20 and a lot of dicing!

Toyo's came out on top today but not because the tire was faster :o For a 70 car field the race was pretty clean...lets hope both races tomorrow are better and not worse :D

Ron

RAmotorsports

Brian Ghidinelli

Brian Ghidinelli

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 465 posts
  • Region:San Francisco
  • Car Number:12
Lots of fun out there! For those who want to follow along, we are broadcasting timing and scoring with Race-Monitor (also viewable on the web here):

http://www.sfrscca.o...t/view/9435/26/

And we are broadcasting the announcer feed for the event which features three announcers around the track:

http://www.ustream.t...lub-racing-live

Finally, you can stay up to date with the play by play and other news on Twitter:

http://twitter.com/sfrsccalive (frequent race day updates)
http://twitter.com/sfrscca (infrequent updates)

Tomorrow is a new day... top 5-8 is changed a little bit, nobody on sticker hoosiers today. Will make the race even more interesting... Polsley is on fire but there is great racing all the way through the field. Who will be champ tomorrow?
Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill - Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Spencer N

Spencer N

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
  • Car Year:1994
  • Car Number:19
Any in car videos up yet?
-Spencer

Ron Alan

Ron Alan

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,732 posts
Was hoping someone else would post up a recap :noidea:

2nd race of the weekend was led by Darin P on Toyos with the 3 Oregon guys on Hoosiers in close tow. He stretched out a 3 second+ gap until a double yellow came out with a few to go.

Now this was the weirdest thing I ever saw...and wondering if it was a total screw up. Not all flag stand were displaying double yellow??? Then after about 20 or 30 seconds the the double yellows that were displayed were dropped??? WTF?? I believe the first 20 or 30 cars got the double yellow. Darin slowed up going down the back assuming he would get picked up by the pace car...then he and everyone else who had radios realized flags were down. Some earlier than others...which was great for some while others got totally screwed. Ken got a run going in and out of 11 and passed Darin...which is how they finished.

I hope someone will correct me if this is wrong but for the future is this correct? If double yellows are displayed but subsequently dropped...you still may only pass once you cross the start finish under a waving green?

The 3rd and final race(Festival race)everyone was on Toyos. Darin easily drove to victory with Brian G and Bobby C finishing on the podium. Ken S drove from the back of 50 cars to finish 6th I believe(was on fire!)The talent level was ridiculously deep this weekend. A top 10 in any of the races was a good drive and top 20 was nothing to scoff at. I hope for next year this truly turns into the "West Coast Sprints" or some title like that it deserves. SCCA National needs to do something to throw the West coast a bone. Not to take anything away from the recent event a little south of here but a true CA or west coast event has to be held at Sonoma or Laguna to attract a few deep pockets to come West!! ;)

Considering 70 cars, the weekend was pretty free of major incidents, with minor dents and paint swaps the norm.

Wont go into it here but for those in the know our thoughts and prayers go out to Ian and Karen hoping she is on her way to a full recovery.

Ron

RAmotorsports

Rob Burgoon

Rob Burgoon

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,465 posts
  • Car Number:91

I hope someone will correct me if this is wrong but for the future is this correct? If double yellows are displayed but subsequently dropped...you still may only pass once you cross the start finish under a waving green?

Laguna to attract a few deep pockets to come West!! ;)

F* Laguna and their sound rules.

For NASA, no double yellow means race resumes immediately.

For SCCA, there must be a green. SFR race control just pounded the pooch (again) See below:

6.6.2. Safety Car Procedures
The Chief Steward may use a safety car as necessary to control the field
and to assure expeditious restarts.
A safety car will enter the course only under double yellow flags.
When dispatched, the safety car, with emergency lights flashing, will
gather the field under steady and reduced speeds that are appropriate to
track conditions. Drivers must make every effort to safely catch the field
to form a single and evenly-spaced line behind the safety car. The leader
must keep pace with the safety car, and not balk the field, which shall
follow the safety car in a safe and sportsmanlike manner, allowing sufficient
room for fellow competitors. Cars must pass any on track incident(s)
well under control.
If the safety car is not dispatched in front of the leader, an official in the
safety car will wave cars by until the leader is behind it. Race cars may
not pass the safety car unless waved around by that official. Any car
passing the safety car without being directed may be black-flagged into
the pits, and other penalties may be imposed, as specified in Section 7.
A driver of a car that is disabled or cannot keep the pace should not hold
up the field. He must signal that his car is disabled by raising an arm,
pulling to the side of the course, and staying well off the racing line.
Other drivers may safely pass the signaling vehicle. A driver of a disabled
car should seek assistance at the nearest corner station, or pit at the first
opportunity.
The safety car will maintain the established pace, extinguish the lights,
and exit the course prior to a restart. Drivers must maintain the safety
car’s pace and not improve their positions or begin racing until the green
flag has been displayed to restart the race.
If there is no safety car, the race leader will perform its functions.
Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill - Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations!

Ron Alan

Ron Alan

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,732 posts
Thanks Rob. Looks like someone screwed up for sure.

Regarding Laguna...We split running in the sound window with SRF every other event. It could easily be scheduled in which we are not in the 90db sound window in which case 101db is your limit which isn't an issue...unless there is heavy fog which can create havoc for many. But the expense for a muffler(that still makes power)certainly would be minimal when all things are considered for anyone who has never run Laguna and makes the trip. Don't be so quick to f**k everything Rob :wave2:

Ron

RAmotorsports

BobbyCarter

BobbyCarter

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
What a great weekend and great event put on by SFR!!! I had a great time and the racing was awesome. It was good to see everyone again, as it had been 5 years since I last ran with SCCA. Great job by the SFR guys putting it to the Oregon boys. A few things I took from this weekend..

1. Hoosiers are still the best tire..99's on Hoosiers are scary fast.
2. The 1.6 is still good...but tough to run with the 99's on the same tire..The torque of the "park and squirt" cars kills the 1.6
3. Ken should of swept both races...The incident in the first race allowed me to win.
4. Hoosiers are still the best tire.
5. Oregon group is very fast and great racers...
6. SFR has a good group of younger drivers who are going to be very good..
7. Seeing Tommy O was great...he looks great and is going to win again!!!
8. 5 years is to long to be away...I forgot how fun this stuff is
9. "The Hoosier Slayer" SMT #62 is for sale...Call Kim Wilcox!! LOL!!

Thoughts and prayers with Ian and Karen...Can't wait to see them at an event soon.

Bobby Carter

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users