130 replies to this topic

Mike Collins

Mike Collins

Big Cheese

• Moderators
  • 1,262 posts
  • Region:Washington DC
  • Car Number:75
We are getting donors now in the $7500 range (or less)
Mike "MEATHEAD" Collins
Founder - Partner
MEATHEADRacing
240-476-1593

www.meatheadracing.com
Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+ Sponsor / Advertiser - Site sponsor / advertiser... support these guys! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Sugar Daddy - Made PayPal donation of $500+ Donor - Made PayPal donation Beta-Tester - Assisted us with beta testing the website. MX5 Cup Participant - Has Participated in a MX5Cup.com Series Event Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other

DrDomm

DrDomm

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 889 posts
  • Region:NER
  • Car Year:2000
  • Car Number:46
Is there a place for an SM5 in other classes? STL? This would make these cars more appealing.
Domm Leuci
--because someone commented that we should all post our names, and not be anonymous. I agree.
Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+ Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Glenn

Glenn

Mid Pack Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 864 posts
  • Region:SE

We are getting donors now in the $7500 range (or less)

Or wait till my daily driver hits 250K and poof.....instant SM5 doner..... :king:

Glenn Murphey, Crew Chief
Owner Crew Chief Services The Pinnacle of Excellence, Contract Crew Services for the racing community.
Soon to be back in the club racing scene for good ;)

Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Glenn

Glenn

Mid Pack Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 864 posts
  • Region:SE

Is there a place for an SM5 in other classes? STL? This would make these cars more appealing.

If many arrive in STL, you can BET they will add MORE weight to teh RWD cars!!! IT WILL KILL all other cars in teh class to date!

These cars will be good STL cars if built to STL trim, otherwise they will not be competitive. BTW , some $%%^&* showed up in an 02 Miata in STL this year and they are already increasing weight and RWD adder :) about and additional 90 lbs on my car next year, about 2600 lbs..

Glenn Murphey, Crew Chief
Owner Crew Chief Services The Pinnacle of Excellence, Contract Crew Services for the racing community.
Soon to be back in the club racing scene for good ;)

Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

svvs

svvs

do they sell spec training wheels yet?

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 518 posts
  • Region:NYR
  • Car Year:1991
  • Car Number:12?
I think for those of us who have been driving SM for a while, this would be a cool "step-up" class if it takes off. Fsater car, ABS......basically a "grown-up" race car. Especially with the new hoosiers.......tires are only competitive for one race weekend anyway so it's not like the tire budget is a big difference.

Once this class hits 10 regular drivers or so in a region, it will work. A lot of guys out there are driving tired cars (my chassis has been a SM since 2001 or 2002 or so) and it feels weird to me to spend money on another SM and not "move up" in class.

Vick
www.volko.com
Black SM/SM2/"Slap Bracelet Throwback" #12 in the Northeast....if the car was made in the early 90's it should look like it.

1.6L forever!  Bring on your '99's and '01's!

Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Donor - Made PayPal donation

Michael Novak

Michael Novak

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 510 posts
  • Region:Michigan
  • Car Year:2002
  • Car Number:#9
"We are getting donors now in the $7500 range (or less)"

We never seem to have any in my area that cheap... The cheapest right now is $11K on Criagslist----Or it has been driven through the winter and in Michigan it is junk then....

MIKE---Maybe talking about all the classes: STL, STU, Playboy CUP---something else... might help move some people..... Do you have a cost breakdown for the times needed to turn it back and forth from a playboy cup car to a STL? SHOCKS, DATA,?????
Majors Winner - Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+ Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Neil O

Neil O

MEATHEAD Racing Draftman

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 42 posts
  • Region:WDC
  • Car Year:1999
  • Car Number:06
Watch the values drop in winter, that's the time to buy. Got one last year for $8500 w/ 90K. It's nice and my daily driver... until...

Mike Collins

Mike Collins

Big Cheese

• Moderators
  • 1,262 posts
Chris Windsor converts his cars from SM5 to Playboy Cup for the pro stuff. He can do it in less than an hour per car. Mind you that he built and set up his cars with that in mind. All of his cars were built for SM5 with Playboy Cup in mind. I could convert mine in an hour.
Mike "MEATHEAD" Collins
Founder - Partner
MEATHEADRacing
240-476-1593

www.meatheadracing.com
Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+ Sponsor / Advertiser - Site sponsor / advertiser... support these guys! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Sugar Daddy - Made PayPal donation of $500+ Donor - Made PayPal donation Beta-Tester - Assisted us with beta testing the website. MX5 Cup Participant - Has Participated in a MX5Cup.com Series Event Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other

LarryKing

LarryKing

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,659 posts
This has probably been answered before, but I assume that one could begin with a former Playboy Cup car and easily convert it to a SM5, yes?
2017 - SMSE SEDiv ECR Champion
Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

DrDomm

DrDomm

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 889 posts
  • Region:NER
  • Car Number:46

A lot of guys out there are driving tired cars (my chassis has been a SM since 2001 or 2002 or so) and it feels weird to me to spend money on another SM and not "move up" in class.

That's why I think it will be cool when the NA cars are phased out of SM, and the '99's are "unleashed" without their restrictors. ;)
Domm Leuci
--because someone commented that we should all post our names, and not be anonymous. I agree.
Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+ Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Mike Collins

Mike Collins

Big Cheese

• Moderators
  • 1,262 posts

This has probably been answered before, but I assume that one could begin with a former Playboy Cup car and easily convert it to a SM5, yes?

that is what I did...I bought a Playboy Car (actually three) sold off the suspension kit and that financed buying a hardtop and SM5 suspension kit. Had I kept all of the kits I could swap the cars back. the Playboy Cup suspension kit is a POS!
Mike "MEATHEAD" Collins
Founder - Partner
MEATHEADRacing
240-476-1593

www.meatheadracing.com

Caveman-kwebb99

Caveman-kwebb99

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,062 posts
  • Region:Great lakes
  • Car Number:99
Doc, the problem with your premise is that most regions including mine are innundated with 1.6's.... He ll I wouldnt have anyone left to race if it was only a 99 up field, which would lead me to quit racing all together.

I could certainly step up to another class as Vic suggests, I have raced in some other classes, and there is 1/10 of the competition in most of them, and certainly no parity. Would SM5 be different with the parity issues I beleive it would, but its just my opinion if it get very popular it will end up and ARMS race just liek SM.

What other class, has Pro's come out to race and they are just another serious competitor at the front of the pack? There is no place to go but down, when you alredy race in the best, tightest, most tallent field in amatuer racing. I'm not saying sm5 cant be that eventually but it certainly isnt that now.

K. Webb