DrDomm

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 889 posts
  • Region:NER
  • Car Year:2000
  • Car Number:46
Any thoughts on allowing a less restricted '99 into the class to get those (competition) numbers up? More people might build an SM5, at least knowing they will have some "equalized 99's" to compete with. Just a thought.
Domm Leuci
--because someone commented that we should all post our names, and not be anonymous. I agree.
Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+ Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Jim Drago

Jim Drago

East Street Racing / 2 Time National Champion

• Administrators
  • 6,566 posts
  • Region:Mid South
  • Car Year:2005
  • Car Number:2
I have no idea if SM5 is going to take off, if it we will end up there in the future when our cars get old etc. I think one thing that SM5 will "likely" not do is allow other cars in. I think the mix of different Na and NB miatas in SM has always been a point of controversy. So if the allow, I think they would only do so without making ANY claim to making the other cars competitive.
Jim

East Street Auto Parts
Jim@Eaststreet.com
800 700 9080

NASA Champs Winner - NASA Champs Winner Hoosier Super Tour points Champion - Hoosier Super Tour points Champion ARRC Champion - Won the ARRC Race in a Spec Miata Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata BFG Supertour Winner - Majors Winner - Circuit of the Americas Winner - We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner SCCA National Champion - Won SCCA Runoffs at Road America SCCA National Champion - Won SCCA Runoffs at Road America

LarryKing

LarryKing

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,659 posts
Oh no he did-int.

The 99s already f'd-up SM, now you want to do that to SM5? :crazy2:
2017 - SMSE SEDiv ECR Champion
Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

DrDomm

DrDomm

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 889 posts

Oh no he did-int.

The 99s already f'd-up SM, now you want to do that to SM5? :crazy2:

Well, I'm bored. It's winter. I'm not going to COTA and this was the only other active thread. ;)

But no, my thought was to help SM5 while it's a "Regional Class". You keep hearing the argument not to build one because there isn't enough people to race with. So give them someone else to race with, and see if it then takes off. In the meantime, 99's get to have some unrestricted fun.

BTW, will the "Regional Classes" not be included in Majors next year? Kinda hard to promote a class when it's not a "National/Majors Class".
Domm Leuci
--because someone commented that we should all post our names, and not be anonymous. I agree.
Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+ Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

LarryKing

LarryKing

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,659 posts
Well shoot, let's allow unrestricted NA 1.8s run in SM5 too, while we're at it, throw in the 1.6s.

You could call it SM succotash. :P

DrDomm

DrDomm

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 889 posts

Well shoot, let's allow unrestricted NA 1.8s run in SM5 too, while we're at it, throw in the 1.6s.

Whatever it takes! :scratchchin:
Domm Leuci

Rob Burgoon

Rob Burgoon

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,465 posts
  • Car Year:1995
  • Car Number:91
Domm, we need a club labeled "lessons learned" to beat you with.
Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill - Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations!

Jim Drago

Jim Drago

• Administrators
  • 6,566 posts

Careful.. we may just call it SM :duck:
  • Glenn likes this

East Street Auto Parts
Jim@Eaststreet.com
800 700 9080

NASA Champs Winner - NASA Champs Winner Hoosier Super Tour points Champion - Hoosier Super Tour points Champion ARRC Champion - Won the ARRC Race in a Spec Miata Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata BFG Supertour Winner - Majors Winner - Circuit of the Americas Winner - We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner SCCA National Champion - Won SCCA Runoffs at Road America SCCA National Champion - Won SCCA Runoffs at Road America

Michael Novak

Michael Novak

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 510 posts
  • Region:Michigan
  • Car Year:2002
  • Car Number:#9

Careful.. we may just call it SM :duck:

Why not. There are many classes that are blends---at least they would all be one brand and model of car. I think the rule set right now works well for SM---have the same group handicap the MX5 in.. Certain tracks will always benefit certain cars. There are NA tracks and there are NB tracks. Overall mix I think is great---I would love to own a 1.6 for 1/2 the tracks and a NB for the others.
Majors Winner - Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+ Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Jim Drago

Jim Drago

• Administrators
  • 6,566 posts

Why not. There are many classes that are blends---at least they would all be one brand and model of car. I think the rule set right now works well for SM---have the same group handicap the MX5 in.. Certain tracks will always benefit certain cars. There are NA tracks and there are NB tracks. Overall mix I think is great---I would love to own a 1.6 for 1/2 the tracks and a NB for the others.

At some point we will need to do something different or be the bug eye's of the future. I don't see that coming for at least 10+ years and hopefully we will have smartened up by then and be long retired :)

East Street Auto Parts
Jim@Eaststreet.com
800 700 9080

Glenn

Glenn

Mid Pack Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 864 posts
  • Region:SE

At some point we will need to do something different or be the bug eye's of the future. I don't see that coming for at least 10+ years and hopefully we will have smartened up by then and be long retired :)

My daily driver MX5 should be about worn out just in time....LOL
  • Jim Drago likes this

Glenn Murphey, Crew Chief
Owner Crew Chief Services The Pinnacle of Excellence, Contract Crew Services for the racing community.
Soon to be back in the club racing scene for good ;)

Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

DrDomm

DrDomm

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 889 posts

Domm, we need a club labeled "lessons learned" to beat you with.

Ha ha...I'm still learning! I guess it's better to just have a class of 5-10 cars (on a good day).

Anyway, my suggestion was for a temporary fix until there are enough SM5 cars. Eventually the class would have to become National, and the '99's would be relinquished back to lowly SM. It was a way for '99's to double dip, and help spawn the future of Mazda Spec racing.
Domm Leuci

Glenn

Glenn

Mid Pack Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 864 posts

Ha ha...I'm still learning! I guess it's better to just have a class of 5-10 cars (on a good day).

Anyway, my suggestion was for a temporary fix until there are enough SM5 cars. Eventually the class would have to become National, and the '99's would be relinquished back to lowly SM. It was a way for '99's to double dip, and help spawn the future of Mazda Spec racing.

Run the 99 un restricted in STL and try to beat an MX5....bet you cant!

Owner Crew Chief Services The Pinnacle of Excellence, Contract Crew Services for the racing community.

Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

G.Obadia

G.Obadia

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 54 posts
  • Region:WDC
  • Car Year:2008
  • Car Number:66 SM5
Please! Someone start posting on one of the million COTA threads so Domm can contribute bad ideas somewhere else. (I am kidding Domm... But I am really not)
  • Jim Drago and Rob Burgoon like this
ElginRacing / Meathead Racing / Radial Tire Co / York Automotive

Glenn

Glenn

Mid Pack Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 864 posts

Please! Someone start posting on one of the million COTA threads so Domm can contribute bad ideas somewhere else. (I am kidding Domm... But I am really not)

Go back to lurking GObadia.......:)

LarryKing

LarryKing

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,659 posts

Eventually the class would have to become National, and the '99's would be relinquished back to lowly SM.

Just like a "temporary" tax. :whistling:

My understanding is that all classes will be 'national' next year.
  • Rob Burgoon likes this

DrDomm

DrDomm

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 889 posts

Grrr...
Domm Leuci

DrDomm

DrDomm

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 889 posts

Run the 99 un restricted in STL and try to beat an MX5....bet you cant!

Really? Ok, Watkins Glen is my track of choice...SM5 record is 2:16.9. SM is 2:17.0 for long course (3.4mi). For short course SM5 1:29.1, SM 1:30.5. :P
Domm Leuci

pat slattery

pat slattery

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 724 posts
  • Region:Cincinnati
  • Car Year:1992
  • Car Number:79
Move all the 99 and up into SM5 and give us the original SM back please. :)
  • Rob Burgoon likes this

Broken record - You are starting to sound like a broken record. Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Broken record - You are starting to sound like a broken record.

G.Obadia

G.Obadia

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 54 posts
  • Region:WDC
  • Car Year:2008
  • Car Number:66 SM5
VIR full
Sm 2m 18.035
SM5 2m 15.7 (really it is 2m 13.9 ask me how I know)
ElginRacing / Meathead Racing / Radial Tire Co / York Automotive

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: mx5, mx-5, sm5, sm-5, sm pro, playboy

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users