Photo

I am going to ask a stupid question? David Dewhurst and others...

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
68 replies to this topic

MPR22

MPR22

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,138 posts
  • Region:Southwest
  • Car Year:1999
  • Car Number:22
Quote from Mr. Dewhurst "No question the 1.6 can & does win. My only question has ever been, can a 1.6 win at you know where. Maybe we'll know after the June Sprints."

Why does it matter to YOU, if a 1.6 can win the Runoffs at Road America?

1. Do you have the talent to win the Runoffs? if yes then;
2. Is your car's prep level Runoffs worthy? (Pro motor, everything with the special grease, you have 6 sets of tires.......) if yes then;
3. Do you plan on racing at the Runoffs? If yes then;
Your original question is relavent.

The reason I ask is becasue I ask the same questions of myself and my car (99 by the way).

The answers from me,
1. Probably not, I need another year of development and maybe I will never have the chops.
2. My car is still being developed and chances are it will never be good enough to win the Run-offs, we are too heavy.
3. Not really, too far away, miss to much work, don't need the experience to complete my life.....

The problem is not the parity between cars. The problem is the track (yes I know its closer to you than Atlanta, Mid Ohio, of any other suiable venue). Why should the entire class have to spend hundreds or thousands of dollars to change their cars to conform to one track? Can a racer on a shoestring budget ever win the Runoffs? Probably not. So if the desire is to build a car to win the Runoffs in a given year, I suggest the the racer choose a platform and develop it to its maximum potential and go race. Oh wait somebody did that, just last year, and low and behold they won.

Hobby racers are the life blood of the class, but that will never stop the "cool kids" from spending 50-100k a year to win the Runoffs. Will that kill Spec Miata? Don't think so, it hasn't since 2006 when it became a national class. The west coast boys have a blast running almost exclusively regional races and if they want to go to the Runoffs they run enough nationals to qualify and then they go to the Runoffs. Can you buy/build a respectable car for 15k or less, Hell yes. Can you race it 6 weekends a year and use 2 sets of tires, camp out at every event and spend as little money as possible and still have a blast, Hell yes. Can you spend 15k on a car, spend zero time on development of the car, race 4 National races and go to the Runoffs and win? NO FREAKING WAY, even if your name is Loshak. Nobody gets to the top of any sport by putting in minimal effort, financially or otherwise. The horse is dead, or at least out of the barn. Race your car "as is" if you want but don't try to insinuate the powers that be have not done enough to give the 1.6 a shot at the title. Just becasue it hasn't or won't win the Runoffs is not the same as it can't. And if it can't, who cares? It is one race. What is good for the class is there are cars and races at all levels for people to enjoy. Racing is a blast and on that I think we can all realate. Spec Miata is one of, if not the best class for road racing available to the masses. As I have seen over and over again in posts "You always have someone to race".
  • Glenn, Brian Ghidinelli, Bruce Andersen and 1 other like this
Shattering - For those who cant drink tequila NASA Champs Winner - NASA Champs Winner Majors Winner - Novel Approach - When a paragraph simply won't do... We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Donor - Made PayPal donation

Caveman-kwebb99

Caveman-kwebb99

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,062 posts
  • Region:Great lakes
  • Car Year:2000
  • Car Number:99
Who is thei Loshak? I think I remember a story abotu Loshak, Meshak, and Abendigo... Same guy NO?

K. Webb
Powered by East Street Racing (Best engines in Spec Miata)

Driver coach, Spec Miata Prep shop, Spec Miata Setup

2016 Hard Charger award passing 12 cars runoffs 2016 Mid Ohio

2016 P3 RUNOFFS OVER 40 DIVISION LOL!

2015 First consolation prize Northern Conference Majors Title Pageant
2015 Winner Circus Cat Majors Road America

2015 Winner BlackHawk Majors crash fest

My Signature is still not as long as Danny boy's

Donor - Made PayPal donation Majors Winner - Chatterbox - Blah blah blah... Blah blah blah Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+

dstevens

dstevens

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,404 posts
  • Region:LVR

Who is thei Loshak?

Oh, oh, oh Mr Kotta...

Posted Image
  • Tracy Fowler - OPM likes this

Jim Drago

Jim Drago

East Street Racing / 2 Time National Champion

• Administrators
  • 6,566 posts
  • Region:Mid South
  • Car Year:2005
  • Car Number:2
no no that is Horse shack, he said Loshak :)

East Street Auto Parts
Jim@Eaststreet.com
800 700 9080

NASA Champs Winner - NASA Champs Winner Hoosier Super Tour points Champion - Hoosier Super Tour points Champion ARRC Champion - Won the ARRC Race in a Spec Miata Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata BFG Supertour Winner - Majors Winner - Circuit of the Americas Winner - We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner SCCA National Champion - Won SCCA Runoffs at Road America SCCA National Champion - Won SCCA Runoffs at Road America

MPR22

MPR22

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,138 posts
  • Region:Southwest
  • Car Year:1999
  • Car Number:22
Maybe he meant sleestak?

Shattering - For those who cant drink tequila NASA Champs Winner - NASA Champs Winner Majors Winner - Novel Approach - When a paragraph simply won't do... We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Donor - Made PayPal donation

Jim Drago

Jim Drago

• Administrators
  • 6,566 posts
no no no.. he said Lo- ve shack

East Street Auto Parts
Jim@Eaststreet.com
800 700 9080

NASA Champs Winner - NASA Champs Winner Hoosier Super Tour points Champion - Hoosier Super Tour points Champion ARRC Champion - Won the ARRC Race in a Spec Miata Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata BFG Supertour Winner - Majors Winner - Circuit of the Americas Winner - We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner SCCA National Champion - Won SCCA Runoffs at Road America SCCA National Champion - Won SCCA Runoffs at Road America

Bench Racer

Bench Racer

Different strokes for different folks : )

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,508 posts
  • Region:Milwaukee
  • Car Year:1990
  • Car Number:14
The four of you clowns can pick on me all you care to, but when you pick on a two time SCCA national champion your a pretty sick bunch. In ANY car, the Dude will drive away from each of you.

Mr. Ross, I'm seventy years young, I hope when you age to 70 you'll still have a desire to enjoy this hobby while being the spacer between the seat & the steering wheel. I've raced at nine different tracks in the midwest including Mid Ohio.
Broken record - You are starting to sound like a broken record. Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Andrew Charbonneau

Andrew Charbonneau

Royal P.I.T.A.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 912 posts
  • Region:83
  • Car Year:1967
  • Car Number:67

Satire is primarily a literary genre or form, although in practice it can also be found in the graphic and performing arts. In satire, vices, follies, abuses, and shortcomings are held up to ridicule, ideally with the intent of shaming individuals, and society itself, into improvement.[1] Although satire is usually meant to be funny, its greater purpose is often constructive social criticism, using wit as a weapon.
SCCA National Champion - Won SCCA Runoffs at Road America Survivalist - Won 25 Hours at Thunderhill! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other

Andrew Charbonneau

Andrew Charbonneau

Royal P.I.T.A.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 912 posts

Satire is primarily a literary genre or form, although in practice it can also be found in the graphic and performing arts. In satire, vices, follies, abuses, and shortcomings are held up to ridicule, ideally with the intent of shaming individuals, and society itself, into improvement.[1] Although satire is usually meant to be funny, its greater purpose is often constructive social criticism, using wit as a weapon.
SCCA National Champion - Won SCCA Runoffs at Road America Survivalist - Won 25 Hours at Thunderhill! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other

Andrew Charbonneau

Andrew Charbonneau

Royal P.I.T.A.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 912 posts

Jim Drago

Jim Drago

• Administrators
  • 6,566 posts

The four of you clowns can pick on me all you care to, but when you pick on a two time SCCA national champion your a pretty sick bunch. In ANY car, the Dude will drive away from each of you.

You are just figuring out this is a sick bunch? "A little slow on the up take are you Trebek?" :whistling:

Look, I don't know the guy, I'm sure he is an excellent driver and we were picking on you since you are putting this guy in as a pinch hitter and putting him on a pedestal. :prayer: While you would have to be a fool not to respect a two time National champion's abilities, but I don't idolize them either.
I'll say it again, I am no more or less afraid of him than the guys I race week in and week out like Andrew, Buras, Clements, etc.
  • dstevens likes this

East Street Auto Parts
Jim@Eaststreet.com
800 700 9080

Andrew Charbonneau

Andrew Charbonneau

Royal P.I.T.A.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 912 posts
this is what happens

Caveman-kwebb99

Caveman-kwebb99

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,062 posts
  • Region:Great lakes
  • Car Year:2000
  • Car Number:99

Mr. Ross, I'm seventy years young, I hope when you age to 70 you'll still have a desire to enjoy this hobby while being the spacer between the seat & the steering wheel. I've raced at nine different tracks in the midwest including Mid Ohio.

SCCA national champ? I never heard of him, just like I wouldnt know Drago from Drano, or the Gorilla from a Babbon if I waznt racing SM...

If he is so good why isnt he driving your top shelf 1.6? Thats the real question...

K. Webb