Photo

I am going to ask a stupid question? David Dewhurst and others...

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
68 replies to this topic

LarryKing

LarryKing

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,659 posts
(Disclaimer: before others start misinterpreting my intent or flat-out put words in my mouth, the following is my perceived observations, not necessarily my personal experience.)

Ask a stupid question, get a. . .

I think many who invested in 1.6 cars, prior to the 99+ being eligible in SM, believe their cars became instantly obsolete once the 99+ was added. And no competition adjustment will change that. People either cut their losses and built a 99 or lowered their expectation., Call it loss of hopefulness. (How'd I do Dave?)

Like I previously posted this has been beat to death for years.

Frankly I don't buy the "No top prep 1.6s show up" argument. No amount of from the tub up building, painted control arms and polished cam covers, latest carbon fiber cockpit geegaws, changes the finite HP:Wt ratio, torque curve, brake size, and set-up adjustablity of the 1.6. Anyone on the Runoffs level already knows the max performance potential. It's as good as it's going to get, and SCCA/NASA have made the cars as equal as they can. Some are just more equal then others.

I have seen the future and it's called SM5. Personally I think the class should be called SMX5. I hope to build one in a couple years.
  • dstevens and William Keeling like this
2017 - SMSE SEDiv ECR Champion
Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Jim Drago

Jim Drago

East Street Racing / 2 Time National Champion

• Administrators
  • 6,566 posts
  • Region:Mid South
  • Car Year:2005
  • Car Number:2

(Disclaimer: before others start misinterpreting my intent or flat-out put words in my mouth, the following is my perceived observations, not necessarily my personal experience.)

Ask a stupid question, get a. . .

I think many who invested in 1.6 cars, prior to the 99+ being eligible in SM, believe their cars became instantly obsolete once the 99+ was added. And no competition adjustment will change that. People either cut their losses and built a 99 or lowered their expectation., Call it loss of hopefulness. (How'd I do Dave?)

Like I previously posted this has been beat to death for years.

Frankly I don't buy the "No top prep 1.6s show up" argument. No amount of from the tub up building, painted control arms and polished cam covers, latest carbon fiber cockpit geegaws, changes the finite HP:Wt ratio, torque curve, brake size, and set-up adjustablity of the 1.6. Anyone on the Runoffs level already knows the max performance potential. It's as good as it's going to get, and SCCA/NASA have made the cars as equal as they can. Some are just more equal then others.

I have seen the future and it's called SM5. Personally I think the class should be called SMX5. I hope to build one in a couple years.

Ohh you poor Moose :) All Mr D likes to say, You have drank the cool aid, I think you drank the entire container on eh 1.6 propaganda machine. :) As you said beat to death, regardless of how many wins and where it wins, you are convinced your car can't compete and the cars are inferior and thus steadily reducing the price of your cars.

As for SM, great class, great idea.. Just like some other fledgling Miata class a few years ago :) Except the parts and cars are substantially higher. SM5 will run the same course as Sm, just different speed bumps and never as big or successful as SM. Just like SM, once it gains popularity , many of us will move into the class. When the class starts attracting guys who run full prep programs, the same complaints will start to surface.. So and so ruined the class, so and so is cheating as his car is way faster than all the rest. It is the same vicious cycle, just a little different. I guarantee if some of the top guys in SM started full SM5 efforts, we would kill the class before it even gained any momentum. You think my "friend" from the Northeast would show up with the same car as most campaign? This is RACING, this is always the circle and always will be
  • dstevens, Glenn and MPR22 like this

East Street Auto Parts
Jim@Eaststreet.com
800 700 9080

NASA Champs Winner - NASA Champs Winner Hoosier Super Tour points Champion - Hoosier Super Tour points Champion ARRC Champion - Won the ARRC Race in a Spec Miata Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata BFG Supertour Winner - Majors Winner - Circuit of the Americas Winner - We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner SCCA National Champion - Won SCCA Runoffs at Road America SCCA National Champion - Won SCCA Runoffs at Road America

LarryKing

LarryKing

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,659 posts
SM5 does have a sealed motor. I like that.

I said it was a stupid answer (also said it was the perception).

JD, do you disagree that the top national drivers know the max they can get from a 1.6, and that's why they campaign a 99, at least as long as the RO is at RA?

Propaganda... Hmmmm, interesting word choice.

MPR22

MPR22

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,138 posts
  • Region:Southwest
  • Car Year:1999
  • Car Number:22
Moose my question for David was for him to answer.

Jim is spot on in his reply about any class that becomes popular.

All: If you think a race car is an investment and you expect a return on that investment you have missed something. If you even expect to get your initial investment back choose another hobby. If you expect to have fun, meet new people, be ridiculed for bad driving, called funny names by Von C then you have found what you are looking for.

Mr. "Self proclaimed know it all" please answer my question. Curious minds want to know!
Shattering - For those who cant drink tequila NASA Champs Winner - NASA Champs Winner Majors Winner - Novel Approach - When a paragraph simply won't do... We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Donor - Made PayPal donation

LarryKing

LarryKing

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,659 posts

David "Self proclaimed know it all" and others...

Ummm, OK

If you even expect to get your initial investment back choose another hobby

A very wise golfer once asked "Name 3 things dumber than racing."

Betcha can't.

MPR22

MPR22

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,138 posts

WTF, I typed "Self proclaimed know it all" and it came out "Self Proclaimed Know it all" thats weird.
Shattering - For those who cant drink tequila NASA Champs Winner - NASA Champs Winner Majors Winner - Novel Approach - When a paragraph simply won't do... We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Donor - Made PayPal donation

MPR22

MPR22

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,138 posts
Holy sheet, it happened again, does it happen when any one else types "Self proclaimed know it all"?

MPR22

MPR22

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,138 posts
Lets try something different.

"Big Prego"
Michael "fudging Ross"
Blake "beacon of fitness"

Jim, you have been hacked you better wake Caesar up and have him straighted this out.

Glenn

Glenn

Mid Pack Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 864 posts
  • Region:SE

Ummm, OK

Betcha can't.

Golf and Boating come to mind.......
  • KentCarter likes this

Glenn Murphey, Crew Chief
Owner Crew Chief Services The Pinnacle of Excellence, Contract Crew Services for the racing community.
Soon to be back in the club racing scene for good ;)

Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

MPR22

MPR22

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,138 posts

Betcha can't.

too easy:

Congress
Special Grease Salesmen
The stock market
  • Glenn likes this

Caveman-kwebb99

Caveman-kwebb99

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,062 posts
  • Region:Great lakes
  • Car Year:2000
  • Car Number:99
ok 3 stupist things

bikering with Charbs
bikering with mpr
bikering with other idiots on mr.com (me included)
  • William Keeling and Glenn like this

K. Webb