Blake Thompson

Blake Thompson

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 402 posts
  • Region:Central
  • Car Year:1991
  • Car Number:137

That's awful. Many drivers have had horrific incidents at that corner over the years. Nice that they added pea gravel there years ago but it would be a huge safety improvement if they found a way to move the embankment and barrier further back.

Posted Image

Advanced captured this last year when it happened. At 125 the pea gravel stopped Evan nicely. I watched Mark's video once and that was enough for me. bleh. I was glad to read that he is recovering. I hope it doesn't take long.

BTDTRacing, LLC - ISellMiataParts.com

"I'm not making any money doing this, I'm purely doing it out of ego." - Paul Tracy

2011 Midwestern Council Spec Miata series champion

2015 Winner, SM - Midwestern Council: A Legen-Dairy Enduro, Co-Driver Stephanie Andersen

2015 Winner, ITA - Midwestern Council, Blackhawk Formula Festival

We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Donor - Made PayPal donation Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Bench Racer

Bench Racer

Different strokes for different folks : )

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,508 posts
  • Region:Milwaukee
  • Car Year:1990
  • Car Number:14
I stopped at the hospital today. Mark's family and a couple friends are with him.
  • dstevens, KentCarter and Blake Thompson like this
Broken record - You are starting to sound like a broken record. Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Race Engineering

Race Engineering

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 93 posts
  • Region:SE
  • Car Year:1999
  • Car Number:48
Get well soon buddy.

Chris Graham
Race Engineering - Championship Proven
(864) 542-4018 chris@raceengineering.org

Alex Bolanos

Alex Bolanos

The Cuban Missile

• SMembers
  • PipPipPip
  • 355 posts
  • Region:FL
  • Car Number:57
I had a similar incident there at canada in the chippy '99 I drove at the 2010 runoffs. I did exactly what he did and turned right to avoid the car ahead, hit the apex curb sideways (which helped slow me down) and thankfully the gravel was able to stop me. No brakes at all coming in, forgot to pump after the kink :/

Alex Bolanos - #57 
Sponsored by Autotechnik, Momo USA, Apex Alignment, and Amazon.com

Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Majors Winner - We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! NASA Champs Winner - NASA Champs Winner

wheel

wheel

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 800 posts
  • Region:KC
  • Car Year:1992
  • Car Number:20

Blake Clements

Blake Clements

• Moderators
  • 305 posts
  • Car Number:6

I had a similar incident there at canada in the chippy '99 I drove at the 2010 runoffs. I did exactly what he did and turned right to avoid the car ahead, hit the apex curb sideways (which helped slow me down) and thankfully the gravel was able to stop me. No brakes at all coming in, forgot to pump after the kink :/

I've done it too, and did two 360 spins and used a T2 car to slow me down. :(

Get well soon Mark!

Blake Clements

http://www.blakeclements.com - Driver Coaching, Consulting, & Video/Data Analysis.

OPM Autosports/SP Induction Systems/X-Factor Racing/G-Loc Brakes/Traqmate/Bell Helmets

Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver BFG Supertour Winner -

ToddW

ToddW

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 71 posts
  • Car Year:1992
  • Car Number:67
Get well soon Mark.

Looking at the SpeedTV video, Mark did a heroic job missing the car in front of him...that could have been double ugly
Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Jim Drago

Jim Drago

East Street Racing / 2 Time National Champion

• Administrators
  • 6,566 posts
  • Region:Mid South
  • Car Year:2005
  • Car Number:2

That's awful. Many drivers have had horrific incidents at that corner over the years. Nice that they added pea gravel there years ago but it would be a huge safety improvement if they found a way to move the embankment and barrier further back.

Looking at the picture of the pea gravel, you would think they would change mow rake the sands the 90 degrees from the way it is done so the wheels catch the individual rows as they go through?

East Street Auto Parts
Jim@Eaststreet.com
800 700 9080

NASA Champs Winner - NASA Champs Winner Hoosier Super Tour points Champion - Hoosier Super Tour points Champion ARRC Champion - Won the ARRC Race in a Spec Miata Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata BFG Supertour Winner - Majors Winner - Circuit of the Americas Winner - We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner SCCA National Champion - Won SCCA Runoffs at Road America SCCA National Champion - Won SCCA Runoffs at Road America

Danny Steyn

Danny Steyn

Zulu rain warrior

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,439 posts
  • Region:FL
  • Car Number:39
Thanks for the permission Jim, hope I never have to use it

As you recall, I had the same thing happen in the same corner last year. Got pad knock-back by going out over the rumbles in T8 and in the heat of chasing down the fast guys, somehow forgot to tap the brakes back, came into the corner and realized I wasn't going to make it, and I was running dead straight for Pat Sandlin's car who was initiating the turn in, managed to turn it sideways at the last moment, and got the back of Pats car on my driver door. His rear panel came through my door skin, but the NASCAR bars didn't move. I honestly thought I had just about killed him, went to JD's camp to find him, apologize and offer him my car to use in the race, and was absolutely dumbfounded by how little damage there was to his car. If both cars are going in the same direction, that impact is very different to hitting a stationary wall, even if it has tires.

Danny
Danny Steyn Racing | DSR YouTube Channel
Danny Steyn Photography | Adept Studios | Ocean MachineryOPM AutosportsRossini Racing Engines | G-Loc Brakes | 

2 x SCCA Runoffs Champ | 1 x NASA National Champ | 6 x June Sprints Champ | 10 x ARRC Champ

1 x SCCA Super Sweep | 2 x Triple Crown | 4 x Hoosier Super Tour Points Champ | 6 x Majors Points Champ | 5 x SEDiv Driver of the Year

June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata ARRC Champion - Won the ARRC Race in a Spec Miata We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver NASA Champs Winner - NASA Champs Winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner ARRC Champion - Won the ARRC Race in a Spec Miata ARRC Champion - Won the ARRC Race in a Spec Miata Majors Winner - BFG Supertour Winner -

suck fumes

suck fumes

• SMembers
  • PipPipPip
  • 425 posts
  • Region:Lonestar
  • Car Year:1997
  • Car Number:75
Man after watching that speed video there is no doubt he had an angel riding shotgun in that car with him. I must commend him though for doing an AMAZING job avoiding that mini cooper, that would have been a devastating wreck for not just him but for both drivers! I bet the mini guy crapped his pants when the kia went by in front. Hope Mark will pull through and shine once again, prayers are with ya man!
  • Gary Norris likes this
2010, 2011 SM Sowdiv points champion!
2011 National points champion!

WWW.MOTORSPORTHEAVEN.COM

Blake Thompson

Blake Thompson

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 402 posts
  • Region:Central
  • Car Year:1991
  • Car Number:137
any plans to let him out anytime soon?

BTDTRacing, LLC - ISellMiataParts.com

"I'm not making any money doing this, I'm purely doing it out of ego." - Paul Tracy

2011 Midwestern Council Spec Miata series champion

2015 Winner, SM - Midwestern Council: A Legen-Dairy Enduro, Co-Driver Stephanie Andersen

2015 Winner, ITA - Midwestern Council, Blackhawk Formula Festival

We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Donor - Made PayPal donation Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Glenn

Glenn

Mid Pack Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 864 posts

any plans to let him out anytime soon?

The "Pombo Racing" Face Book page is updating his condition.......

Glenn Murphey, Crew Chief
Owner Crew Chief Services The Pinnacle of Excellence, Contract Crew Services for the racing community.
Soon to be back in the club racing scene for good ;)

Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Glenn

Glenn

Mid Pack Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 864 posts
From latest update....

"Mark will be transported to Atlanta tomorrow to Shepherd Spinal Clinic where he will work on rehabilitation. We ask that there are no visitors at this time so he can focus on his recovery. We will keep you updated on his progress and let everyone know when he will be ready for visitors. Thank you for the continued prayers"

Glenn Murphey, Crew Chief
Owner Crew Chief Services The Pinnacle of Excellence, Contract Crew Services for the racing community.
Soon to be back in the club racing scene for good ;)

Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Jim Daniels - FIG

Jim Daniels - FIG

Site Founder

• Administrators
  • 274 posts
  • Region:Mid-South
  • Car Year:1989
  • Car Number:Any
I spoke to Doc (Mark's brother) last night.  He said that Mark is being taking via air ambulance to a head trauma center in Atlanta as early as today.  

Mark is suffering from brain bleed among the other injuries.

His condition is stable.  He has walked some and is eating.  Doc describes his motor skills as being like he had one to many at the watering hole.  Great news but a long recovery ahead. 

The Pombo family needs our thoughts and prayers!
  • john mueller likes this

"Never Stop Challenging"

Jim Daniels

Auto Sports Consulting / Coaching

My cup runneth over - Playboy Mazda MX-5 Cup Champ Beta-Tester - Assisted us with beta testing the website. Sponsor / Advertiser - Site sponsor / advertiser... support these guys! Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+ We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! ARRC Champion - Won the ARRC Race in a Spec Miata Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other BFG Supertour Winner - Majors Winner - World Challenge Participant in a Mazda  - World Challenge Participant in a Mazda Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill - Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner Grand-Am Competitor - Grand-Am Competitor in a Mazda  (can be GT, and ST)

Caveman-kwebb99

Caveman-kwebb99

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,062 posts
  • Region:Great lakes
  • Car Year:2000
  • Car Number:99
He is in my prayers

K. Webb