127 replies to this topic

Glenn

Glenn

Mid Pack Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 864 posts
  • Region:SE

S...What year in this cycle do you think we are in now?????

Glenn Murphey, Crew Chief
Owner Crew Chief Services The Pinnacle of Excellence, Contract Crew Services for the racing community.
Soon to be back in the club racing scene for good ;)

Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Alex Bolanos

Alex Bolanos

The Cuban Missile

• SMembers
  • PipPipPip
  • 355 posts
  • Region:FL
  • Car Year:1999
  • Car Number:57
Great thread, I heard pennies make dollars so here's a few of mine..

Why are entries low this year? A few possibilities:
  • Last year of NASA on the East side - There are some that run both NASA and SCCA all year, since the two championship events are in the same month (huge mistake by the way) most can only do one of them. This year, many of these people will lean towards the NASA champs this year because they'll be gone for some time.
  • Cost to qualify - NASA requires 5 standard (I don't want to call them regional) events... TT AND/OR Race to qualify.... bang, that's it. Not only that, but you can sign up for any number of classes when you go to the champs. SCCA nationals are not only very expensive (why are they more money than regionals?) but you need more of them (to count just finishes) AND you must individually qualify for all classes you may want to run at the champs. With no "supersize" discount that means DOUBLE entry fees all year... Plus you're risking your car in two classes at all of those national weekends...
  • Road America - HP track (perceived or otherwise), far drive for SW W and SE divs (which make up the bulk of national level cars), history of car and driver mangling due to narrow corners with walls and race ending gravel traps, history of fuel cost drama, history of bump drafting drama (at a track where bump drafting is worth almost two seconds), etc. Time for a change, the champs should rotate tracks.
  • "The" motor- Any time there is a dominant factor in a series, interest wanes. Starting in mid 2011, a clear advance was made with engine tech (pun intended) which has culminated in a dominant runoffs pole, a runoffs win (obviously different drivers), the resurgence of the 1.6 (in the hands of a stellar driver no doubt), and a commanding presence at several positions in the national points top 10. Results empower advertising, advertising tells everyone what the cost of "The" big motor is, combine that with a HP track and you'll find that some will sit out based on opportunity cost.
That being said, I'm fortunate to have the opportunity to do both champs this year again and I'm sure there will be at least 30 signed up for the runoffs by the time I get there (A FULL WEEK BEFORE THE RACE)... ;)

Alex Bolanos - #57 
Sponsored by Autotechnik, Momo USA, Apex Alignment, and Amazon.com

Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Majors Winner - We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! NASA Champs Winner - NASA Champs Winner

FTodaro

FTodaro

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,084 posts
  • Region:Great Lakes
  • Car Year:2001
  • Car Number:35
I have not been to an SCCA runnoff so I don't know but if it really will cost 10- 12,000 that is a huge dent in the wallet. I would really have to think on that.

Frank
TnT Racing
SCCA Ohio Valley Region

Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+ We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Donor - Made PayPal donation

Alex Bolanos

Alex Bolanos

The Cuban Missile

• SMembers
  • PipPipPip
  • 355 posts
  • Region:FL
  • Car Number:57

I have not been to an SCCA runnoff so I don't know but if it really will cost 10- 12,000 that is a huge dent in the wallet. I would really have to think on that.

The only way to get to that number is if you are a business owner, shut the door for a week, and add that to the cost of the event....

My math tells me ~$5k all in, what's the math breakdown on $10k+?

Alex Bolanos - #57 
Sponsored by Autotechnik, Momo USA, Apex Alignment, and Amazon.com

Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Majors Winner - We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! NASA Champs Winner - NASA Champs Winner

AJ Roderick

AJ Roderick

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 348 posts
  • Region:Neohio
  • Car Number:56
I wanted to go this year but the only thing stopping me is school and work. Maybe next year!
We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

pat slattery

pat slattery

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 724 posts
  • Region:Cincinnati
  • Car Year:1992
  • Car Number:79

It doesn't have to cost that much more than a National weekend but for some that have the money, including the gentelman that was throwing around 40K so he could be prepared to finish in the mid pack at the runoffs, that seems to be the norm for many. Some guys spend more for a car and season of racing that many including myself make in a year. Not complaining about that, I probably would do the same if I had the money. When we started in SM it was fairly inexpensive, once you got the car, we did our car by ourself, had the cage put in and a crate engine, and were very competitive. The playing field has changed. The 99 has changed the landscape of SM, some will say for the good, and some will say not. The cat is out of the bag, so we have to live with what we have, and realize that SM is never going to be the same as it was 10 years ago. Other than spending for a couple of new tires for the runoffs, that was the only extra expense that we incurred for the runoffs except for maybe a 100.00 additional for food for the extra few days, we camp in our trailer to cut cost. I would say we spent less than 3000, for the runoffs, including the tires.

Hoosier tires has killed our program this year, staring over with new tires, is a big expense, maybe not to some, but many budget guys have to have a set of rains and several sets of race tires to experiment with and learn, That tire does not handle the same as RA1, and it does take time to learn air, setup, etc. Certainly not what the budget guy needs in a soft economy

I think the resurgents of NASA is because of the RA1 tire. Most know the tire, most do not have to buy rains, and have several or more serviceable sets to race with and that is a big cost savings for the budget guy.

Just some thoughts about 2012

Pat

Broken record - You are starting to sound like a broken record. Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Broken record - You are starting to sound like a broken record.

Rob Burgoon

Rob Burgoon

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,465 posts
  • Car Year:1995
  • Car Number:91

The only way to get to that number is if you are a business owner, shut the door for a week, and add that to the cost of the event....

My math tells me ~$5k all in, what's the math breakdown on $10k+?

A racer in San Diego:
4200mile tow: at $0.75/ mi $3150
Late-ish Registraion: $700
Two test days: $900
Tires 4 sets: $2800
Brake pads: $200
5 hours on $7K engine that lasts 50 hours: $700
dyno time $300
hotel 12 nights: $1000
body damage or pre race appearance improvement: $500

I think that's about $10K. And that's without any special build or expert setup help or other expert services.

Now, let's say this hypothetical racer is an engineer for a smallish company and makes $50K a year after taxes. He takes 2 weeks off for this (his whole year's vacation). That's $2K more in vacation and the lost opportunity of any other vacation that year (which f*ing blows).
  • dstevens likes this
Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill - Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations!

Caveman-kwebb99

Caveman-kwebb99

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,062 posts
  • Region:Great lakes
  • Car Year:2000
  • Car Number:99

A racer in San Diego:
4200mile tow: at $0.75/ mi $3150
Late-ish Registraion: $700
Two test days: $900
Brake pads: $200
5 hours on $7K engine that lasts 50 hours: $700
dyno time $300
hotel 12 nights: $1000
body damage or pre race appearance improvement: $500

I think that's about $10K. And that's without any special build or expert setup help or other expert services.

Now, let's say this hypothetical racer is an engineer for a smallish company and makes $50K a year after taxes. He takes 2 weeks off for this (his whole year's vacation). That's $2K more in vacation and the lost opportunity of any other vacation that year (which f*ing blows).

You chance to be first babboon to every beat Von Charbolanos... Priceless!!!!!
  • dstevens likes this

K. Webb
Powered by East Street Racing (Best engines in Spec Miata)

Driver coach, Spec Miata Prep shop, Spec Miata Setup

2016 Hard Charger award passing 12 cars runoffs 2016 Mid Ohio

2016 P3 RUNOFFS OVER 40 DIVISION LOL!

2015 First consolation prize Northern Conference Majors Title Pageant
2015 Winner Circus Cat Majors Road America

2015 Winner BlackHawk Majors crash fest

My Signature is still not as long as Danny boy's

Donor - Made PayPal donation Majors Winner - Chatterbox - Blah blah blah... Blah blah blah Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+

James York

James York

AKA Cajun Miata Man; Overdog Driver

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 898 posts
  • Region:Houston
  • Car Year:2003
  • Car Number:03

Here was roughly what I spent leading up to and attending the 2010 Runoffs.

New JD Engine: $5000 (let's just round here; at minimum you will want to have a fresh head so your cost may vary)
2 Test days: $1000
Pre-work prep: $1000 (tune, engine install, pads, hubs, etc)
Roundtrip fuel: $1200
Shared trackside support: $700 (set-up guru, fix-it man, tech teardown dude)

My rig has living quarters so I saved the cost of eating out and hotel for the 10 days I was there. And my father is retired and likes to come along saving a bit more in expenses (he buys beer, yeah!)

So you can see I spent about $12k to specifically attend that event, at minimum, with just a fresh head, maybe I could do a Runoffs for $8K.

For people that really want bad news, keep all your reciepts from anything racing related (yes beer counts) and see how much we spend annually. It's scary.
  • dstevens likes this

James York

sponsored by:
Stan's Auto Center, Lafayette LA