wheel

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 800 posts
  • Region:KC
  • Car Year:1992
  • Car Number:20
I actually think that the demographics may be, in part, because they held it at Road Atlanta and Mid Ohio every year - for a loooong time.

wheel

DrDomm

DrDomm

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 889 posts
  • Region:NER
  • Car Year:2000
  • Car Number:46

Based on those demographics, I'm surprised it's not held at VIR or MidO every year.

Or Watkins Glen! :prayer: (My understanding is that the track has declined the opportunity, not SCCA)

As far as a means to qualify, I'm a little surprised that no one has really mentioned speed as a criteria. Everyone talks about points (a function of finishing place and class size), which I admit is the point of racing, but points are harder to score in SM than many other classes. It's easy to be within 1-2% of last year's SM Runoffs champion, and not score a point. :wave:
Domm Leuci
--because someone commented that we should all post our names, and not be anonymous. I agree.
Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+ Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

LarryKing

LarryKing

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,659 posts
Do people locate/relocate based on the Runoffs? I need to get out more.
2017 - SMSE SEDiv ECR Champion
Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

dstevens

dstevens

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,404 posts
  • Region:LVR

So here's the question: Would you be willing or able to come out to Laguna, or another major west coast track?

An issue with Laguna is noise abatement. The SFR runs a muffler package that is track specific. The track is allowed a certain number of days over the restriction though IIRC those are taken by pro races. Outstanding circuit, nice to drive, tough to pass.

DrDomm

DrDomm

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 889 posts

Do people locate/relocate based on the Runoffs? I need to get out more.

Ha Ha. I think he means that race tracks breed racers, and wherever there are more tracks and important races, there will eventually be more racers. Good point.
Domm Leuci
--because someone commented that we should all post our names, and not be anonymous. I agree.
Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+ Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

wheel

wheel

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 800 posts
"It's easy to be within 1-2% of last year's SM Runoffs champion, and not score a point"

That's why the system was changed. First of all, if you beat other drivers, even if you are not in the top ten, you get points for those cars you beat. And, if you are in the top half of all entrants, (and scored a point) you qualify (assuming you had four finishes)..

wheel

Mike Collins

Mike Collins

Big Cheese

• Moderators
  • 1,262 posts
  • Region:Washington DC
  • Car Number:75
Most weekends are set up to handle 8 (or so) run groups... You need to hold the runoffs at three tracks simotaneously. East, Middle and West Locations. Break the 24 classes up into three different locations of 8 run groups each. Rotate every year. The triple crown winner is who ever wins it at all three track in consecutive years.

Possible locations:
East
(VIR or Watkins or Road Atlanta)
Middle -Fly over ;)
(Road America, Miller, Heartland Park)
West
(Laguna, Thunder Hill, Long Beach

One day practice, 2 q sessions, one race and go home!
  • Rob Burgoon likes this
Mike "MEATHEAD" Collins
Founder - Partner
MEATHEADRacing
240-476-1593

www.meatheadracing.com
Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+ Sponsor / Advertiser - Site sponsor / advertiser... support these guys! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Sugar Daddy - Made PayPal donation of $500+ Donor - Made PayPal donation Beta-Tester - Assisted us with beta testing the website. MX5 Cup Participant - Has Participated in a MX5Cup.com Series Event Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other

Jim Drago

Jim Drago

East Street Racing / 2 Time National Champion

• Administrators
  • 6,566 posts
  • Region:Mid South
  • Car Year:2005
  • Car Number:2
Same weekend wouldn't work because of workers.. Also if certain drivers run more than one class, they would miss one event. But splitting the event could work IMO.. two weekends, group one out west year one, group 2 out east, then switch the next year. Allow a few weeks in between in case people are running classes that are in each group
  • Rob Burgoon likes this

East Street Auto Parts
Jim@Eaststreet.com
800 700 9080

NASA Champs Winner - NASA Champs Winner Hoosier Super Tour points Champion - Hoosier Super Tour points Champion ARRC Champion - Won the ARRC Race in a Spec Miata Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata BFG Supertour Winner - Majors Winner - Circuit of the Americas Winner - We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner SCCA National Champion - Won SCCA Runoffs at Road America SCCA National Champion - Won SCCA Runoffs at Road America

DrDomm

DrDomm

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 889 posts

That's why the system was changed. First of all, if you beat other drivers, even if you are not in the top ten, you get points for those cars you beat. And, if you are in the top half of all entrants, (and scored a point) you qualify (assuming you had four finishes)..

wheel

I don't know. I finished 10/21 at Lime Rock, 12/19 at Glen, and not last at VIR Double Nat'l races. No points. I'm 222nd. Nothing to brag about, I know. At least I'm listed. ;)

Actually, don't you only get bonus points for beating someone if you got base points? And to get base points you need to be top ??? Should I start a new thread, "How to score points?"

Wheel, who are you? What do you do at SCCA? Just curious.
Domm Leuci

Bench Racer

Bench Racer

Different strokes for different folks : )

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,508 posts
  • Region:Milwaukee
  • Car Year:1990
  • Car Number:14

Jim Wheeler
19430 W 87Th Ln
Lenexa, KS 66220-2508

IIRC retired

Races SCCA AS & Spec Miata

On the SCCA Club Racing Board

Chairman of the Club Racing Board
Broken record - You are starting to sound like a broken record. Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Jim Drago

Jim Drago

East Street Racing / 2 Time National Champion

• Administrators
  • 6,566 posts
  • Region:Mid South
  • Car Year:2005
  • Car Number:2

Don't feel bad, we often ask the same question :)

I think the one flaw that still exists in points system and we working to address.. In the Super tour races, you get points for cars you beat, even when you finish outside the top ten. In the rest of the Nationals you don't get any points outside the top 10. We need to change the points system to that of the Supertour and then invite the top half.

East Street Auto Parts
Jim@Eaststreet.com
800 700 9080

NASA Champs Winner - NASA Champs Winner Hoosier Super Tour points Champion - Hoosier Super Tour points Champion ARRC Champion - Won the ARRC Race in a Spec Miata Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata BFG Supertour Winner - Majors Winner - Circuit of the Americas Winner - We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner SCCA National Champion - Won SCCA Runoffs at Road America SCCA National Champion - Won SCCA Runoffs at Road America

wheel

wheel

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 800 posts
Drago is correct, in that the bonus points (without finishing points) are only awarded for the Super Tour events. Sorry I left that off. The whole mess is too damn complicated and should be simplified, hopefully by next season.
wheel

Mike Collins

Mike Collins

Big Cheese

• Moderators
  • 1,262 posts
  • Region:Washington DC
  • Car Number:75

Drago is correct, in that the bonus points (without finishing points) are only awarded for the Super Tour events. Sorry I left that off. The whole mess is too damn complicated and should be simplified, hopefully by next season.
wheel

Ask a 5th grader to help...The math to figure this out is too complicated for current BoD.
Mike "MEATHEAD" Collins
Founder - Partner
MEATHEADRacing
240-476-1593

www.meatheadracing.com
Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+ Sponsor / Advertiser - Site sponsor / advertiser... support these guys! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Sugar Daddy - Made PayPal donation of $500+ Donor - Made PayPal donation Beta-Tester - Assisted us with beta testing the website. MX5 Cup Participant - Has Participated in a MX5Cup.com Series Event Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other

pat slattery

pat slattery

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 724 posts
  • Region:Cincinnati
  • Car Number:79
How about this format.

Open the runoffs to anyone with a National lis. regardless.
Have 2-3 qualifying sessions. Pick the top 40. Than have a consi race where by the top ten in that race, race there way into the Runoffs race. That would give you the top 50, and give those that don't get into the big show a race and open to everyone. Your only going to get so many, even if you open it up to everyone with a National Lis.

Pat

Broken record - You are starting to sound like a broken record. Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Broken record - You are starting to sound like a broken record.

screaming monkey

screaming monkey

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 120 posts
  • Region:WI
  • Car Year:1999
  • Car Number:65
How about take the top driver from each zip code, multiply the number of points scored with the zip code and divide that by the population of that zip code. Divide that number by pi and screw a chicken to determine the field. If the chicken lays brown eggs, invert the field. Sorry I don't have a formula for the location yet.

Richard Scott Mooney
"Warm up your tires, brakes and brains"

Tom Sager

Tom Sager

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,693 posts
  • Region:Central
  • Car Year:1996
  • Car Number:94
Hard to do with so many classes but how about having 4 preliminary runoffs events in 4 parts of the country and have the results of those feed the final championship event. You qualify for the "area runoffs" based on season points and you qualify for the final championship based on results of the area event. The area events can be held in different parts of the country at different times so that more participants have a big meaningful event within a reasonable distance. The final event could move every year or two. We'd have divisional points, area and national champions.
Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+

Jim Boemler

Jim Boemler

Veteran Member

• Moderators
  • 852 posts
  • Region:NWR
  • Car Number:30

How about take the top driver from each zip code, multiply the number of points scored with the zip code and divide that by the population of that zip code. Divide that number by pi and screw a chicken to determine the field. If the chicken lays brown eggs, invert the field. Sorry I don't have a formula for the location yet.

Wouldn't work -- too much competition for determining the field. ;)

Jim Boemler

Jim Boemler

Veteran Member

• Moderators
  • 852 posts

An issue with Laguna is noise abatement. The SFR runs a muffler package that is track specific. The track is allowed a certain number of days over the restriction though IIRC those are taken by pro races. Outstanding circuit, nice to drive, tough to pass.

I wasn't proposing Laguna for the Runoffs, merely using a great track for the hypothetical question of whether easterners would attend.

pat slattery

pat slattery

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 724 posts
  • Region:Cincinnati
  • Car Number:79

Wouldn't work -- too much competition for determining the field. ;)

The Clown and the Chimp have nothing to offer but sarcasam :bash:

Broken record - You are starting to sound like a broken record. Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Broken record - You are starting to sound like a broken record.

Jim Boemler

Jim Boemler

Veteran Member

• Moderators
  • 852 posts

The Clown and the Chimp have nothing to offer but sarcasam :bash:

Your point??? :noidea: :king:
  • Glenn likes this

5 user(s) are reading this topic