• Please log in to reply
141 replies to this topic

Jamz14

Jamz14

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,310 posts

For all intensive purposes, if you can't tech it, it's legal by default.

A better definition would be if it isn't teched in the shed it is legal. Any car that clears tech is legal.
Broken record - You are starting to sound like a broken record. Donor - Made PayPal donation Sponsor / Advertiser - Site sponsor / advertiser... support these guys! Novel Approach - When a paragraph simply won't do... Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+ Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Bench Racer

Bench Racer

Different strokes for different folks : )

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,508 posts
  • Region:Milwaukee
  • Car Year:1990
  • Car Number:14

Any car that clears tech is legal.

I'm not looking for any $hit, BUT, do you really believe that ^ ?

Talk about living through rose colored sun glasses.
Broken record - You are starting to sound like a broken record. Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Jamz14

Jamz14

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,310 posts
Yes I do believe that and it would be impossible for anyone to dispute it. Unless you are willing to put forth evidence that scrutineers purposely allowed cars to come through tech that they knew were illegal. This isn't rose colored glasses. This is a fact. Show me a result of a car clearing tech, results posted, and then after the fact the car was deemed illegal and position was altered based on post tech tech. Results are final after tech at least from an equipment standpoint unless someone is willing to put up the cash for a full inspection. And I would believe that an equipment protest would have to happen prior to the car being cleared from impound. Otherwise all kinds of mod eliminations could happen in between impound and someone demanding an inspection.

I have learned that any conversation of people cheating is a jerk off and doesn't have any relevance on racing or results unless you are willing to put up money. So maybe I am playing loose with the word legal, but the end result is the same........... therefore legal enough.
Broken record - You are starting to sound like a broken record. Donor - Made PayPal donation Sponsor / Advertiser - Site sponsor / advertiser... support these guys! Novel Approach - When a paragraph simply won't do... Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+ Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Jamz14

Jamz14

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,310 posts
Tech doesn't issue , "might be legal" statements on cars.

Bench Racer

Bench Racer

Different strokes for different folks : )

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,508 posts
  • Region:Milwaukee
  • Car Year:1990
  • Car Number:14

So maybe I am playing loose with the word legal,

Nuff said ^.
Broken record - You are starting to sound like a broken record. Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Jamz14

Jamz14

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,310 posts
Cherry picking one statement out of context doesn't make your case. Legal enough still stands. Legal enough for results to be official is the point of that half quoted statement. Legal enough is all I care about. Racers taught me that. I used to be more concerned with the "spirit" of rules. Now, less ethereal things preoccupy me. Things like how can I get the most rolling resistance out of the car. That is real. Anything else is the rose colored world you referred to.

Jim Drago

Jim Drago

East Street Racing / 2 Time National Champion

• Administrators
  • 6,566 posts
  • Region:Mid South
  • Car Year:2005
  • Car Number:2
When a car clears tech, it is deemed compliant, not legal ;) A compliant car could have numerous illegal parts on it that were not inspected. We can't expect volunteer tech staff to do NASCAR style tear downs weekly.

East Street Auto Parts
Jim@Eaststreet.com
800 700 9080

NASA Champs Winner - NASA Champs Winner Hoosier Super Tour points Champion - Hoosier Super Tour points Champion ARRC Champion - Won the ARRC Race in a Spec Miata Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata BFG Supertour Winner - Majors Winner - Circuit of the Americas Winner - We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner SCCA National Champion - Won SCCA Runoffs at Road America SCCA National Champion - Won SCCA Runoffs at Road America

wheel

wheel

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 800 posts
  • Region:KC
  • Car Year:1992
  • Car Number:20
It's really all about whether you want to win a P.O.S trophy by running an illegal car or by winning a wonderful trophy by better prep and superior driving. That question will only be answered when you meet your maker.

wheel
  • Armando Ramirez likes this

Jamz14

Jamz14

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,310 posts
Jim, that is splitting hairs. Compliance means legal. Compliance with what? Compliance with rules!!!! Which means legal. Yeah it could have numerous parts that are not legal, but that would just be speculation. Cars are legal until proven otherwise.

So I change my verbiage to suit your use of words. If it isn't teched in the shed,the car is compliant. Any car that clears tech is compliant with the rules.

Tech my car all day long, you won't find a single piece on the car that is a cheat. You may find things that are non compliant, but not cheats. For example, I think my alternator cap came off last race, non compliant, but not a cheat.

Keep in mind, I am only stating the view point of the scrutineers. You can disagree with them all you want, but at the end of the day, the results are the same. If the car cleared tech, results stand, period. Complaint enough.

Jim Drago

Jim Drago

East Street Racing / 2 Time National Champion

• Administrators
  • 6,566 posts
  • Region:Mid South
  • Car Year:2005
  • Car Number:2
Jamz
You are correct in your interpretation. Most I have met want to win within the rules, not outside of them.There are some that don't care, I have met them as well. When all is said and done, you have to look at yourself in the mirror. If your not proud of your accomplishments, what have you accomplished?

East Street Auto Parts
Jim@Eaststreet.com
800 700 9080

NASA Champs Winner - NASA Champs Winner Hoosier Super Tour points Champion - Hoosier Super Tour points Champion ARRC Champion - Won the ARRC Race in a Spec Miata Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata BFG Supertour Winner - Majors Winner - Circuit of the Americas Winner - We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner SCCA National Champion - Won SCCA Runoffs at Road America SCCA National Champion - Won SCCA Runoffs at Road America

Jamz14

Jamz14

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,310 posts
Jim,

Could not agree more.

I am very proud of our accomplishments this season.

Yeah, I can look at myself in the mirror without issue using the springs mentioned in this thread. Just as easily as guys looking in the mirror that spend 150k a season campaigning a SM against small teams. Fresh tires every race, endless dyno hours, multiple engines, trannies and diffs all blueprinted (meaning parts selected for tolerance), closed haulers with room for spares, whole other cars available for that matter, ETC ETC

All fair too and I have no complaint with it and I will do the same whenever possible. But lets be real,not a level playing field. Even opportunity to be level, but not level. If I get a season out of the tranny using the aftermarket springs, and the hypothetical guy with many resources gets 4 weekends using the "speced" spring, I'm good with that. As matter of fact, I'd call it a step closer to mythical parity as I am working to keep my one engine going instead of rebuilding my tranny for the nth time,or , having to pay someone to rebuild my tranny for the nth time. :D .

On the other hand, what other class is there where a guy with a modest budget can come out and play with the Big Dogs and be competitive? SM is about as close to parity as you can get and I am sure glad we chose SM as the route for us ( except of course that an enlargement to the 97 r plate is absolutely needed to bring it even close to all you 99's :prayer: ........... i'm joking! ) .

I know nobody official can say it,.......... use the springs and look in the mirror without regret. If you beat us with them, you beat us fair and square and the beer is on you!
  • pat slattery, Andy L and RussMcB like this

LarryKing

LarryKing

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,659 posts
This is all Saul's fault.

P.S., how does Jimmy Johnson look at himself in a mirror?
2017 - SMSE SEDiv ECR Champion
Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Caveman-kwebb99

Caveman-kwebb99

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,062 posts
  • Region:Great lakes
  • Car Year:2000
  • Car Number:99
thats why Jimmy Johnson has a perpetual 5 oclock shadow LOL! With all Jimmy's rebuilding his transmissions over night when the crew isnt looking over his shoulders so that he can get the performace advantage of those springs, he doesnt have time to use his razor in the morning.

Jamz, you are in the wrong business, you should be writing for the Wall street journal! Or maybe a Novel...

K. Webb