cam

cam

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 69 posts
  • Region:SOW
  • Car Year:1990
  • Car Number:14
Just wondering if anyone can report about the orange BMW E30, number 28 in class E2. I was part of a three car team effort and I was told the #28 had minor to somewhat major contact with all three of our teams cars. Just trying to figure out if an extra dose of bad luck between us or was #28 having issue with others also?

TIA
Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

john mueller

john mueller

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,075 posts

Just wondering if anyone can report about the orange BMW E30, number 28 in class E2. I was part of a three car team effort and I was told the #28 had minor to somewhat major contact with all three of our teams cars. Just trying to figure out if an extra dose of bad luck between us or was #28 having issue with others also?

TIA

I was the crew chief on the #28... I never turned a lap and never intended to.

Our car owner is going to call Marc soon to figure out what happened and attempt to put everything behind. I'm not going to air any details of what happened on track or point fingers at anyone. Suffice to say I believe both teams had drivers who made poor behavior choices at various times throughout.

I just want there to be no lingering hostilities for the 2013 race because I'm pretty sure we'll be there and assume HooverSpeed will be too.
We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill - Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+

Danny Steyn

Danny Steyn

Zulu rain warrior

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,439 posts
  • Region:FL
  • Car Year:1999
  • Car Number:39

Never turned a lap, never intended to.

John - this has to be one of the most provocative sentences ever written on MRF!!!! I know nothing of what happened, but now I am so curious!!!
  • john mueller likes this

Danny
Danny Steyn Racing | DSR YouTube Channel
Danny Steyn Photography | Adept Studios | Ocean MachineryOPM AutosportsRossini Racing Engines | G-Loc Brakes | 

2 x SCCA Runoffs Champ | 1 x NASA National Champ | 6 x June Sprints Champ | 10 x ARRC Champ

1 x SCCA Super Sweep | 2 x Triple Crown | 4 x Hoosier Super Tour Points Champ | 6 x Majors Points Champ | 5 x SEDiv Driver of the Year

June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata ARRC Champion - Won the ARRC Race in a Spec Miata We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver NASA Champs Winner - NASA Champs Winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner ARRC Champion - Won the ARRC Race in a Spec Miata ARRC Champion - Won the ARRC Race in a Spec Miata Majors Winner - BFG Supertour Winner -

john mueller

john mueller

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,075 posts

John - this has to be one of the most provocative sentences ever written on MRF!!!! I know nothing of what happened, but now I am so curious!!!

The #28 car owner was my crew chief in 2010, the first year I fielded my car in the 25. During the race that year one of our drivers had an accident that took us out of the race at the 4:08 mark. So, the goal for this years 25 was for he and I to flip roles, have a blast and finish the damn thing. Thus no intention of turning a lap.

This was an mostly unproven endurance car with a totally rookie 25hr team & crew. We finished the whole damn thing minus 1:20 to repair the car from multiple instances of contact - that's where I'll end it.
We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill - Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+

Danny Steyn

Danny Steyn

Zulu rain warrior

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,439 posts
  • Region:FL
  • Car Number:39
Thanks John - the way I read your original post was that the car "Never turned a lap, never intended to"
Now I see that you were referring to yourself
now it all makes sense

Danny
Danny Steyn Racing | DSR YouTube Channel
Danny Steyn Photography | Adept Studios | Ocean MachineryOPM AutosportsRossini Racing Engines | G-Loc Brakes | 

2 x SCCA Runoffs Champ | 1 x NASA National Champ | 6 x June Sprints Champ | 10 x ARRC Champ

1 x SCCA Super Sweep | 2 x Triple Crown | 4 x Hoosier Super Tour Points Champ | 6 x Majors Points Champ | 5 x SEDiv Driver of the Year

June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata ARRC Champion - Won the ARRC Race in a Spec Miata We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver NASA Champs Winner - NASA Champs Winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner ARRC Champion - Won the ARRC Race in a Spec Miata ARRC Champion - Won the ARRC Race in a Spec Miata Majors Winner - BFG Supertour Winner -

Ron Alan

Ron Alan

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,732 posts
  • Car Year:1995

#64 Porsche had brake failure in turn 10.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JrveASsJMZ0

For those who haven't been to this track...lets just say this is an incredible piece of driving and quick decision making. To not hit anything, keep the car going straight in the grass, and essientially save the car is nothing short of miraculous!
  • Derrick Ambrose likes this

Ron

RAmotorsports

Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Ron Alan

Ron Alan

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,732 posts
Now this on the other hand is just wrong! Any car that can roll on track without hitting anything or being hit is just flat out dangerous.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=5-0xbQF4k3s#!

Ron

RAmotorsports

cam

cam

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 69 posts
  • Region:SOW
  • Car Year:1990
  • Car Number:14
There were only three cars I tried very hard not to go side by side in a corner with, the pick-up truck, the orange BMW (#28), and the Fiat. The Fiat was the only one I worred about rolling over in front or beside me. The Fiat had decent straight line speed but down right scary in the corners. I can not image trying to drive it.
Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

dp35

dp35

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 156 posts
  • Region:SF
  • Car Number:51
This Fiat video is the perfect example of why econoboxes don't belong on the race track, and to take it a step further - (IMO) another reason why B Spec is a bad idea.
Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Survivalist - Won 25 Hours at Thunderhill! We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations!

john mueller

john mueller

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,075 posts

There were only three cars I tried very hard not to go side by side in a corner with, the pick-up truck, the orange BMW (#28), and the Fiat.

Cam;
You guys weren't angels either and you know it. BTW, who was in the 96 around the 3rd hour?

Ron Alan

Ron Alan

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,732 posts

Cam;
You guys weren't angels either and you know it. BTW, who was in the 96 around the 3rd hour?

We too had contact with Hooverspeed(Orange car). Also with AMG(59). Both were when we were overtaking....considered both racing incidents. The truck always seems to have the worst drivers(as far as on track cooperation). The Fiat guys were complete rookies but nice guys....maybe in a little over their heads for the first race in the car.

Ron

RAmotorsports

Rob Gibson

Rob Gibson

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 33 posts
The RJ Racing #23 unfortunately ended its incredible streak of finishing the 25 Hours. Since 2008 we had run every year and finished every time in the top 8, including winning E3 in 2011. I guess we were due this year. We got hit with a pretty draconian (considering the offense) 10 minute penalty early in the race that dropped us from 3rd to 12th. By the halfway mark we had made our way back up to 4th with 3rd place just 13 seconds ahead. Then the engine blew. We can replace everything on the car except for the motor. We just don't have the budget to prep and transport a spare race engine around.

The RJR crew did an amazing job as usual. Not a drop of fuel spilled and tire changes were crazy fast. Drivers kept the car quick, on track and intact.

Congrats to the Miatacage guys. Very impressive 1-2 finish. It would have been nice to see how much we could have pushed you, but it wasn't in the cards. Next year...
Rob Gibson
RJ Racing
2011 25 Hours of Thunderhill Champion - E3 Class
2012/2009/2008 WERC Champion - E3 Class
2010 NASA Nationals Champion - TTE Class
rjracing.net
facebook.com/rj.racing
twitter.com/rjracing
Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill - Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

RussMcB

RussMcB

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 348 posts
  • Region:SEDiv
  • Car Number:57
Posted Image

Racer Russ
Marietta, GA
Former SM racer (now back in a formula car)

Barber 2013 Topless

colin.koehler

colin.koehler

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 12 posts
We had a 260whp E30... The Miata left a gap and then changed his mind after our car was parallel with him. No contact was made and our driver did not anticipate going 2 wheels off would lead to this. I think it was either #68 or 62, don't remember.

We still made qualifying and we went all 25 hours!

http://www.flickr.co...N07/8254343590/

trekkor

trekkor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 26 posts

Night Qualifying vid from the pole sitter.

KT
Crew for Todd Tagget #42 ( future co-driver! )
Let me set your tile!~ http://www.willstile.com

Caveman-kwebb99

Caveman-kwebb99

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,062 posts
  • Region:Great lakes
  • Car Year:2000
  • Car Number:99
check gear box I think it stuck in 6th... send to the Saul Factory.

K. Webb