Cnj

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 487 posts
  • Region:Sw
  • Car Year:1999
  • Car Number:32
Danny,

Re your quali letter, I suggest you give it some time to gain "likes" and then ask those who support you for permission to be listed on the letter as supporters of the idea to add collective weight. You certainly can add my name.

Craig Janssen
We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Jamz14

Jamz14

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,310 posts
So if faster guys being behind slower guys is a safety issue and people can't be expected to make reasonable passes when faced with this situation, then does this mean we can put aside the idea of inverted grids? I know it doesn't happen much, but it does happen sometimes. I too think that 15 minutes is too little to get a real grid sorting, but shouldn't the concern be that the fast guys are spending too much time getting ahead of slower guys so the finish order won't be truely representitive of the pace, and not that people will lose their minds and control and make stupid decisions?

I have never agreed with arguements that imply that people will start making stupid decisions if faced with tough circumstances. Whether it be this, inverted grids, bump drafting ETC. Character is known when faced with tough situations, not when everything is groovy. In short....... whatever shakes out of this situation, it is no excuse to be a moron on track.
Broken record - You are starting to sound like a broken record. Donor - Made PayPal donation Sponsor / Advertiser - Site sponsor / advertiser... support these guys! Novel Approach - When a paragraph simply won't do... Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+ Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Danny Steyn

Danny Steyn

Zulu rain warrior

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,439 posts
  • Region:FL
  • Car Number:39

Danny,

Re your quali letter, I suggest you give it some time to gain "likes" and then ask those who support you for permission to be listed on the letter as supporters of the idea to add collective weight. You certainly can add my name.

Craig Janssen

Craig - thanks for the suggestion - I have edited the post to suggest LIKING the letter.

Danny
Danny Steyn Racing | DSR YouTube Channel
Danny Steyn Photography | Adept Studios | Ocean MachineryOPM AutosportsRossini Racing Engines | G-Loc Brakes | 

2 x SCCA Runoffs Champ | 1 x NASA National Champ | 6 x June Sprints Champ | 10 x ARRC Champ

1 x SCCA Super Sweep | 2 x Triple Crown | 4 x Hoosier Super Tour Points Champ | 6 x Majors Points Champ | 5 x SEDiv Driver of the Year

June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata ARRC Champion - Won the ARRC Race in a Spec Miata We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver NASA Champs Winner - NASA Champs Winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner ARRC Champion - Won the ARRC Race in a Spec Miata ARRC Champion - Won the ARRC Race in a Spec Miata Majors Winner - BFG Supertour Winner -

MPR22

MPR22

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,138 posts
  • Region:Southwest
  • Car Number:22

Danny,

Craig Janssen

Or start a poll.
Shattering - For those who cant drink tequila NASA Champs Winner - NASA Champs Winner Majors Winner - Novel Approach - When a paragraph simply won't do... We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Donor - Made PayPal donation

Danny Steyn

Danny Steyn

Zulu rain warrior

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,439 posts

So if faster guys being behind slower guys is a safety issue and people can't be expected to make reasonable passes when faced with this situation, then does this mean we can put aside the idea of inverted grids? I know it doesn't happen much, but it does happen sometimes. I too think that 15 minutes is too little to get a real grid sorting, but shouldn't the concern be that the fast guys are spending too much time getting ahead of slower guys so the finish order won't be truely representitive of the pace, and not that people will lose their minds and control and make stupid decisions?

I have never agreed with arguements that imply that people will start making stupid decisions if faced with tough circumstances. Whether it be this, inverted grids, bump drafting ETC. Character is known when faced with tough situations, not when everything is groovy. In short....... whatever shakes out of this situation, it is no excuse to be a moron on track.

JAMZ - no issue with what you wrote, but we are trying to solve a perceived safety issue here - suggest another thread for your post

Danny
Danny Steyn Photography | Adept Studios | Ocean MachineryOPM AutosportsRossini Racing Engines | G-Loc Brakes | 

2 x SCCA Runoffs Champ | 1 x NASA National Champ | 6 x June Sprints Champ | 10 x ARRC Champ

1 x SCCA Super Sweep | 2 x Triple Crown | 4 x Hoosier Super Tour Points Champ | 6 x Majors Points Champ | 5 x SEDiv Driver of the Year

June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata ARRC Champion - Won the ARRC Race in a Spec Miata We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver NASA Champs Winner - NASA Champs Winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner ARRC Champion - Won the ARRC Race in a Spec Miata ARRC Champion - Won the ARRC Race in a Spec Miata Majors Winner - BFG Supertour Winner -

MPR22

MPR22

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,138 posts
  • Region:Southwest
  • Car Number:22

Jamz,

I think the concern here is not that people will behave poorly but that there will be situational awareness issues. New track to everyone, vast difference in experience levels from top to bottom, more cars on the track at one time than most or all of the drivers have seen. Its not any one ingredient that causes the problem its the reciepe that has some of us concerned.
  • Ron Alan likes this
Shattering - For those who cant drink tequila NASA Champs Winner - NASA Champs Winner Majors Winner - Novel Approach - When a paragraph simply won't do... We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Donor - Made PayPal donation

Cnj

Cnj

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 487 posts

Craig,

Without a seat at the table no dialogue can occur. Without dialogue no solutions presented can be properly vetted.

I am not complaining, I work with cities, counties and state officials everyday. NO, is always the easy answer to changes to the written regulations. Until you have a stakeholder sitting in front of the officicial providing solutions on the fly to each objection the answer is almost always no.

We need representation. Danny seems to have the time. I find him to be a reasonable person who can articulate our concerns, solutions and desires to the powers that be.

I use, the powers that be, because it appears there is no clear answer to who we should be negotiating. Tough to solve a problem talking to the wrong people.

Michael P. Ross (Irrational Racing Enthusiast)

Yes, my experience with regulatory authorities is the same. With that said I have seen and had considerable success winning concessions when a solution is put on the table that represents the best interests of all parties. In this case the interests of the Spec
Miata community is the same as the interests of Lone Star, other racers and Topeka; namely a spectacular success with maximum participation options, safe racing and recurring attendance in future years. The current path I believe fights against the best interests of all parties.

I would be thrilled to support Danny as spokes person as clearly he has the best accent for this.

CNJ
We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Lee Thomas

Lee Thomas

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 79 posts
  • Region:Lone Star
  • Car Year:2003
  • Car Number:24

Craig - thanks for the suggestion - I have edited the post to suggest LIKING the letter.

Danny - I edited the original post on this thread directing readers to your post.

Danny Steyn

Danny Steyn

Zulu rain warrior

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,439 posts
Hi guys

happy to report that there is action happening behind the scenes. Received word from National that they are looking at other options related to qualifying.
  • John Babot and Lee Thomas like this

Danny

Cnj

Cnj

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 487 posts

Hi guys

happy to report that there is action happening behind the scenes. Received word from National that they are looking at other options related to qualifying.

Good. Now lets see if there is a possibility of more inclusion.

CNJ

mdavis

mdavis

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 198 posts
  • Region:Texas

Good. Now lets see if there is a possibility of more inclusion.

CNJ

South Africans to the rescue! Thanks Danny for your efforts. And I agree with Craig about inclusion. Maybe the 15 minutes of Saturday qualifying could be the 'B" race instead? Not ideal but we're going to have to give something back in order to be inclusive.
Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Johnny D

Johnny D

Veteran Member

• Moderators
  • 6,121 posts
  • Region:San Francisco
  • Car Number:88

Hi guys

You may want to make it easy on them and submit a proposed schedule. Then all they have to do is show and say "how's this" to others?
J~
2011 NASA Western Endurance Racing Championship E3 Champ
We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Beta-Tester - Assisted us with beta testing the website. Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Novel Approach - When a paragraph simply won't do... Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill - Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+

Ron Alan

Ron Alan

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,732 posts
  • Car Year:1995

Jamz,

I think the concern here is not that people will behave poorly but that there will be situational awareness issues. New track to everyone, vast difference in experience levels from top to bottom, more cars on the track at one time than most or all of the drivers have seen. Its not any one ingredient that causes the problem its the reciepe that has some of us concerned.

Well said Michael and to the point. Though we all want and assume exactly what James has eluded to, the reality in these large car qualifying and races can be anything but Utopian. And rarely are the stories because someone was intentionally being a moron.

Great efforts Danny. I certainly hope you get back in when the lottery opens :rolleyes:

As an outsider with nothing at stack, I would hope someone also has Topeka's ear on allowing all entries. If SM is cut off at 85 and there are groups that end up with only 30 cars...this will not go over well. I realize safety is priority #1, but my guess is overflow can be accommodated with a little outside the box thinking??

Ron

RAmotorsports

Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

davew

davew

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,297 posts
  • Region:Chicago
  • Car Number:72
I sure hope that the powers to be, from Lone Star Region, SCCA, COTA, DLB etc., get their acts together quickly. I am already getting phone calls that drivers are not going to re-register. Too much hassell, drama and a potentially dangerous situation. Each individual must make their own judjements on risk vs reward, cost vs fun, etc.

My opinion is that none of this drama was needed. As Mr Krebs wrote, we have only one chance to get this right. He was addressing the competitors. Maybe he should have been addressing the organizers.

Dave

Dave Wheeler
Advanced Autosports, the nations most complete Spec Miata shop
Author, Spec Miata Constructors Guide, version 1 and 2.0

Building Championship winning cars since 1995

4 time Central Division Spec Miata Champion car builder 2012-2013-2014-2017

Back to Back June Sprints Spec Miata 1-2 finishes 2016 and 2017

5 time June Sprints winner in Mazda's

6 Time Northern Conference Champion Car Builder

2014 SCCA Majors National point Champion car builder

2014 SCCA Runoffs winner, T4 (Bender)

2014 Central Division Champion, ITS (Wheeler)

2013 Thunderhill 25 hour winning crew chief

2007 June Sprints winner, (GT1, Mohrhauser)

Over 200 race wins and counting.
www.advanced-autosports.com
dave@advanced-autosports.com
608-313-1230

Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill - Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Sponsor / Advertiser - Site sponsor / advertiser... support these guys! Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Caveman-kwebb99

Caveman-kwebb99

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,062 posts
  • Region:Great lakes
  • Car Year:2000
  • Car Number:99

I sure hope that the powers to be, from Lone Star Region, SCCA, COTA, DLB etc., get their acts together quickly. I am already getting phone calls that drivers are not going to re-register. Too much hassell, drama and a potentially dangerous situation. Each individual must make their own judjements on risk vs reward, cost vs fun, etc.

My opinion is that none of this drama was needed. As Mr Krebs wrote, we have only one chance to get this right. He was addressing the competitors. Maybe he should have been addressing the organizers.

Dave

+1,000,000,000,000,000,000,000...

K. Webb