Photo

Website upgrade suggestions/ what would you like to see?

* * * * - 1 votes

• Please log in to reply
121 replies to this topic

Mike Oyler

Mike Oyler

• Administrators
  • 59 posts

A great program everyone should have on their PC for removing stale cookies, temporary files etc. is CCleaner from Piriform. http://www.piriform.com

When it first starts up allow it to save typical cookies (Google, Yahoo etc) then select CLEANER from the left hand menu. You will see a list of things it will remove based on age. History is one you may want to uncheck if you like to save your history for returning to websites.

One great feature of CCleaner is under TOOLS > STARTUP - allows you to pause or remove all the programs loading up at start that crowd your system tray (down by the clock) ... Except for your antivirus, almost everything loading up at start-up is there to benefit the company that installed them and not you. But if unsure what a startup program is, simply disable it (them) and reboot and see if you are affected.

Mike Oyler Memphis PC Guy
Beta-Tester - Assisted us with beta testing the website.

Caveman-kwebb99

Caveman-kwebb99

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,062 posts
  • Region:Great lakes
  • Car Year:2000
  • Car Number:99

can we go back to the days when someone likes your post thier names show up. its kinda nice to know whos rockin wit ya... Even the negative nelly club like to know who is feelin it...

• David L, CruzanTom and Mike Oyler like this

K. Webb
Powered by East Street Racing (Best engines in Spec Miata)

Driver coach, Spec Miata Prep shop, Spec Miata Setup

2016 Hard Charger award passing 12 cars runoffs 2016 Mid Ohio

2016 P3 RUNOFFS OVER 40 DIVISION LOL!

2015 First consolation prize Northern Conference Majors Title Pageant
2015 Winner Circus Cat Majors Road America

2015 Winner BlackHawk Majors crash fest

My Signature is still not as long as Danny boy's

Donor - Made PayPal donation Majors Winner - Chatterbox - Blah blah blah... Blah blah blah Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+

Ron Alan

Ron Alan

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,732 posts
  • Car Year:1995

Hey Ron,

Sounds like a browser cookie issue. Are you running any sort of Adblocker or NoScript per chance? I am just giving CV and JD a hand herding cats.

Mike

Downloaded your suggestion...no luck. Btw, I get the same issue when I use my iPad or phone. An account settings issue? Again, when I hit the view new content button I get "sorry, no new content" and when I open a thread it always takes me to the last post.

Ron

RAmotorsports

Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

CruzanTom

CruzanTom

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 295 posts
  • Region:Southeast
  • Car Year:1999
  • Car Number:44

Downloaded your suggestion...no luck. Btw, I get the same issue when I use my iPad or phone. An account settings issue? Again, when I hit the view new content button I get "sorry, no new content" and when I open a thread it always takes me to the last post.

After clicking the View New Content look on the left side of the page. Are your settings checked to By Content Type/Forums; By Time Period/ Past Week (or whatever time period you want); and Other/[nothing checked]?

Tom

• Mike Oyler likes this

Tom Hart

#44 SM and T-4

2014 SC Driver of the Year

2015 SE Championship Series Spec Miata Champion

2016 SE Championship Series Spec Miata Champion

We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Donor - Made PayPal donation

Ron Alan

Ron Alan

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,732 posts

After clicking the View New Content look on the left side of the page. Are your settings checked to By Content Type/Forums; By Time Period/ Past Week (or whatever time period you want); and Other/[nothing checked]?

Tom

You my friend are a genious! "Just items I follow" was checked under "Other" I find on the iPad that things get accidentally pushed all the time...errr!!

Ron

RAmotorsports

Mike Oyler

Mike Oyler

• Administrators
  • 59 posts

Great catch CruzanTom! I totally overlooked the Other section myself! And my first rule of computer usage is read the whole screen! It may say "press Enter to continue", but it may also say "except after 4:36am  on Wednesday Mornings"

For that I made a subtle change to the forum for logged in members .. can anyone spot it ?

Ron Alan

Ron Alan

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,732 posts

Great catch CruzanTom! I totally overlooked the Other section myself! And my first rule of computer usage is read the whole screen! It may say "press Enter to continue", but it may also say "except after 4:36am  on Wednesday Mornings"

For that I made a subtle change to the forum for logged in members .. can anyone spot it ?

Highlighted all checked items?  

Ron

RAmotorsports

Mike Oyler

Mike Oyler

• Administrators
  • 59 posts

REP has been changed to LIKE THIS and will show you the people who have liked your post.

• Ron Alan and Todd Green like this

Ron Alan

Ron Alan

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,732 posts

So no more poo poo button?

Ron

RAmotorsports

Johnny D

Johnny D

Veteran Member

• Moderators
  • 6,121 posts
  • Region:San Francisco
  • Car Number:88

Are we playing Where's Waldo? Nobody told me. :D

2011 NASA Western Endurance Racing Championship E3 Champ
We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Beta-Tester - Assisted us with beta testing the website. Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Novel Approach - When a paragraph simply won't do... Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill - Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+

Mike Oyler

Mike Oyler

• Administrators
  • 59 posts

I also added CITY to the STATE in Additional Information section of the Classifieds if that helps. Active Adverts will not show this of course, but new Ads will.

The one I thought people would catch but didn't mention is Registered Members no longer see the AD between 1st and 2nd Thread Posts. Anonymous Guests still do. But I assume a lot of people use Ad blockers. If not, I can turn that back up, if you prefer. 

Tom Hampton

Tom Hampton

Egregious Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,060 posts
  • Region:South west
  • Car Year:1992
  • Car Number:41
I'm always on the mobile theme. I use my phone almost exclusively. So, I never see any ads.

-tch
Build: www.tomhampton.info

video: vimeo.com/tomhampton

Support: X-Factor Racing

I didn't lose, I just got outspent!

Beta-Tester - Assisted us with beta testing the website. Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

RussMcB

RussMcB

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 348 posts
  • Region:SEDiv
  • Car Number:57

Can we require real names in peoples' profiles?  There are many anonymous users with no way to tell who they are.  I can't think of a valid reason why someone would need to hide their identity here.

Thanks for considering.

Racer Russ
Marietta, GA
Former SM racer (now back in a formula car)

Barber 2013 Topless

Jim Drago

Jim Drago

East Street Racing / 2 Time National Champion

• Administrators
  • 6,566 posts
  • Region:Mid South
  • Car Year:2005
  • Car Number:2
Russ,
While I don't disagree. Not sure it should be required? I hate those anonymous posts as well. But If I post as Joe Blow.. I can sign up as Joe Blow and an email joeblow@gmail.com?

I know some good members that don't want to post their names as they don't want their opinions and posts google searched due to their professions etc.
Jim

East Street Auto Parts
Jim@Eaststreet.com
800 700 9080

NASA Champs Winner - NASA Champs Winner Hoosier Super Tour points Champion - Hoosier Super Tour points Champion ARRC Champion - Won the ARRC Race in a Spec Miata Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata BFG Supertour Winner - Majors Winner - Circuit of the Americas Winner - We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner SCCA National Champion - Won SCCA Runoffs at Road America SCCA National Champion - Won SCCA Runoffs at Road America

LarryKing

LarryKing

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,659 posts

Can we require real names in peoples' profiles?

... says "Racer Russ" McB.

• steveracer likes this
2017 - SMSE SEDiv ECR Champion

RussMcB

RussMcB

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 348 posts
  • Region:SEDiv
  • Car Number:57

Russ,
While I don't disagree. Not sure it should be required? I hate those anonymous posts as well. But If I post as Joe Blow.. I can sign up as Joe Blow and an email joeblow@gmail.com?

I know some good members that don't want to post their names as they don't want their opinions and posts google searched due to their professions etc.
Jim

I suppose there may be good reasons for some people not to want others here to know who they are.  Sometimes it just seems shady, though.

... says "Racer Russ" McB.

My full name has been in my profile since day 1.

What is your reason for hiding your information?

Racer Russ
Marietta, GA
Former SM racer (now back in a formula car)

Barber 2013 Topless

LarryKing

LarryKing

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,659 posts

I simply don't get a shiz

2017 - SMSE SEDiv ECR Champion

Caveman-kwebb99

Caveman-kwebb99

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,062 posts
  • Region:Great lakes
  • Car Year:2000
  • Car Number:99

I suppose there may be good reasons for some people not to want others here to know who they are.  Sometimes it just seems shady, though.

My full name has been in my profile since day 1.

Russ, not to pick Dennys side in this, as I agree he should post his own name.  You profile says RussMcB not Russ McBride, and says racer Russ in the signature line.  

I know who you are as do some others, now Denny changes names as much as I change cars, so its hard to keep up with who he is this month.  

If you are saying something here your ashamed of anyone outside of here knowing about you probably should not post at all!!!! my .0200000000

K. Webb