Rob Burgoon

Rob Burgoon

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,465 posts
  • Car Year:1995
  • Car Number:91

After the Sunday SM race, NASA dynoed two spec miatas using a mobile dynojet and a 1.6 came back with 131hp.   :bs: The driver elected to take a DQ instead of submitting to a teardown.

I'm not positive, but I think this might be the first dyno aided SM bust for NASA (not counting the SSM incident).

On a lighter note, congrats to David Dodge for sweeping the weekend!

• john mueller likes this
Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill - Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations!

john mueller

john mueller

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,075 posts

Yeah I was rather pleased with how the SoCal region SM Leader (Brett Becker) and SoCal NASA Tech worked together on Sunday.  I was attending the event (wrecked Saturday, car dead) but not involved with this except for answering procedural questions from drivers after the qualifying race.  I left the track an hour prior to the main race and didn't know what happened until several hours after the DQ.

We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill - Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+

Chris Ashcraft

Chris Ashcraft

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 93 posts
  • Region:NEO
  • Car Year:1992
  • Car Number:76

wow 131hp...i mean if your going to cheat might as well go all the way...

• Alberto and Michael Colangelo like this

HoneyBadger - BrianW

HoneyBadger - BrianW

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 416 posts
  • Region:Southwest
  • Car Year:1999
  • Car Number:59
Not that I don't think 131 is a ton of power for a 1.6. What did the top prep 99's make? The number by itself really doesn't mean anything. I have seen dyno numbers all over the place.
Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+ Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Charlie Hayes

Charlie Hayes

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 513 posts
  • Region:West Coast
  • Car Number:22

Not that I don't think 131 is a ton of power for a 1.6. What did the top prep 99's make? The number by itself really doesn't mean anything. I have seen dyno numbers all over the place.

From what I heard Dodge (the other) 1.6 made 121hp. 

Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill - Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill

Bench Racer

Bench Racer

Different strokes for different folks : )

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,508 posts
  • Region:Milwaukee
  • Car Year:1990
  • Car Number:14

Not trying to start any :bs: .

How come when we talk about the weight of cars and the torque of cars we never talk about weight pre foot pound that each car (1.6, 99) is required to accelerate?

Broken record - You are starting to sound like a broken record. Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

LarryKing

LarryKing

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,659 posts

How come when we talk about the weight of cars and the torque of cars we never talk about weight pre foot pound that each car (1.6, 99) is required to accelerate?

Because parity has been acheived so it's a moot point silly.

• FTodaro likes this
2017 - SMSE SEDiv ECR Champion
Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Joe (dad) Jordan

Joe (dad) Jordan

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 310 posts
  • Region:San Diego
  • Car Year:1991
  • Car Number:47

My understanding DQ'd car had 131.3 HP and 116 torque from a 1.6.  The other car had 121HP and 106 torque.

Joe Jordan the turd.....Joey is IV or quatro!

Ran in Firestone Firehawk in a Miata in 1994

Speedvision Cup Miata's 95-99

World Challenge Miata in 2000 AT MRLS

Had 3 Rookie of the year winners "Rising Stars" In IMSA

Kids now racing...Started them in Lemons Miata we built into the 2013 Western Division SCCA Majors Champion!

6th at 50th SCCA Runoffs in SM OPM's Rental 01

2nd fastest race lap at the Runoffs.

2014 Teen Mazda Challenge (west) Champ!

2015 Pirelli World Challenge Round 15 Winner in TCB and round 16,17,and 18 Winner!

Jim Drago

Jim Drago

East Street Racing / 2 Time National Champion

• Administrators
  • 6,566 posts
  • Region:Mid South
  • Car Year:2005
  • Car Number:2

Refusing to a tear down is a 6 month suspension in SCCA. What is penalty in NASA?

East Street Auto Parts
Jim@Eaststreet.com
800 700 9080

NASA Champs Winner - NASA Champs Winner Hoosier Super Tour points Champion - Hoosier Super Tour points Champion ARRC Champion - Won the ARRC Race in a Spec Miata Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata BFG Supertour Winner - Majors Winner - Circuit of the Americas Winner - We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner SCCA National Champion - Won SCCA Runoffs at Road America SCCA National Champion - Won SCCA Runoffs at Road America

Ron Alan

Ron Alan

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,732 posts

Jim...your inbox is full!

Ron

RAmotorsports

Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Rob Burgoon

Rob Burgoon

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,465 posts

Refusing to a tear down is a 6 month suspension in SCCA. What is penalty in NASA?

Not sure there is one in the books, probably whatever they feel like.

Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill - Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations!

Rob Burgoon

Rob Burgoon

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,465 posts

As for Brian's comment about dyno numbers, remember that he wasn't DQ'd for too much power, he was invited to a more thorough inspection. 

Muda

Muda

ComingToAMirrorNearYou

• SMembers
  • PipPipPip
  • 365 posts
  • Region:WDC

Refusing to a tear down is a 6 month suspension in SCCA.

True, but getting in your car and driving away from impound, rather than going through a tech inspection is only a DQ.  Experienced this last season with a competitor's car that would have made the 131hp car seem like an SSM entry.  The suspension penalty should be extended to this behavior as well.

Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+ Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Jamz14

Jamz14

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,310 posts

My understanding is that it was the torque curve that raised eyebrows the most. I do not see a refusal clause in the CCR. No matter, I hear it will be SCCA's problem soon.

Broken record - You are starting to sound like a broken record. Donor - Made PayPal donation Sponsor / Advertiser - Site sponsor / advertiser... support these guys! Novel Approach - When a paragraph simply won't do... Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+ Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Qik Nip

Qik Nip

Loose Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPip
  • 413 posts
  • Region:Cincinnati
  • Car Year:1990
  • Car Number:60

From the front of the SCCA GCR...

"In all societies where men compete with one another - and in which societies, pray, do they not? - there must be laws to regulate that competition. The extent to which that competition is carried, whether by intensity or sophistication, determines the degree of complexity of the necessary laws; and the extent to which those laws are willingly accepted determines, no less, the degree of civilization of that society.

Translated from Thales of Miletus, c 600 BC.

Pretty good statement IMHO.

Rick

• Brocodile likes this

2009, 2010 & 2011 SCCA Great Lakes Div. Reg. SM Champ
2006, 2009, 2010 & 2011 Cincy SCCA Reg. Driver of the year