Photo

Driver DQ'd after refusing teardown in NASA socal

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
86 replies to this topic

Bench Racer

Bench Racer

Different strokes for different folks : )

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,508 posts
  • Region:Milwaukee
  • Car Year:1990
  • Car Number:14

I wasn't aware of that.  Does it apply to regionals, nationals, or just Runoffs? 

SCCA 7.4.D Schedule:

Regional, national, refusing to tear down in mechanical protest, request for action, or chief stewarts action equals DQ, 6 month suspension, $250.00 fine and 6 points.

Broken record - You are starting to sound like a broken record. Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Rob Burgoon

Rob Burgoon

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,465 posts
  • Car Year:1995
  • Car Number:91

I wasn't aware of that.  Does it apply to regionals, nationals, or just Runoffs?  I've never been asked to do a tear-down, but since I have to drive the car home, I always figured I could just decline and accept a DQ.  If it's a universal 6 month suspension, that would pretty much eliminate anybody driving the car to the track anymore, which would cut participation considerably.  Most folks, even in my area, do trailer their cars, but a lot of them started racing by driving the car to the track -- if they had to jump in with a truck and trailer from Day One, I fear that many of them would never have started racing at all.

How much would a tow home cost you?

Unless a cam gets sent away for measurement, the question also becomes "how much would it cost to have the shop/person put your car back together".

Bumming a shock off someone probably wouldn't be hard.

Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill - Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations!

Ron Alan

Ron Alan

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,732 posts
  • Car Year:1995
[quote name="Jamz14" post="43386" timestamp="1362523357"]Hey Ron,

I don't understand the comment. I am not wishing for anything. Only stating that there was no mention in the CCR's on additional penalties for refusing a tear down and that I had heard the car was not going to be competing in more NASA races this year.[/quote]

[/quote]"No matter, I hear it will be SCCA's problem soon"[/quote]

I guess I took this as kind of a good ridannce...to the participants btw(the car can't go by itself)! People,problems, good and bad move back and forth between the 2 clubs. What is SCCA'S problem today, may be yours and NASA's tomorrow. It's a small community! I wasn't being critical...I should have put at "lol" at the end!

Ron

RAmotorsports

Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

FTodaro

FTodaro

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,084 posts
  • Region:Great Lakes
  • Car Year:2001
  • Car Number:35

Not trying to start any :bs: .

How come when we talk about the weight of cars and the torque of cars we never talk about weight pre foot pound that each car (1.6, 99) is required to accelerate?

131in a heavier 99 is unheard of and in the 1.6 is lighter, would be super size miata power

Did not anyone see that turbo under there some place.

Frank
TnT Racing
SCCA Ohio Valley Region

Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+ We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Donor - Made PayPal donation

Danny Steyn

Danny Steyn

Zulu rain warrior

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,439 posts
  • Region:FL
  • Car Year:1999
  • Car Number:39

In South Florida a couple of years back we had a really fast rocket ship SM that looked just kinda all wrong. Some guys got together to raise the protest bond on the engine, SCCA tech wasn't thrilled go through with it, but the guys persisted, When confronted with the prospect of tear down, the entrant opted out and took the 6-month ban. Car came back a year later but never ran at the speed it was before. 

• john mueller and MPR22 like this

Danny
Danny Steyn Racing | DSR YouTube Channel
Danny Steyn Photography | Adept Studios | Ocean MachineryOPM AutosportsRossini Racing Engines | G-Loc Brakes | 

2 x SCCA Runoffs Champ | 1 x NASA National Champ | 6 x June Sprints Champ | 10 x ARRC Champ

1 x SCCA Super Sweep | 2 x Triple Crown | 4 x Hoosier Super Tour Points Champ | 6 x Majors Points Champ | 5 x SEDiv Driver of the Year

June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata ARRC Champion - Won the ARRC Race in a Spec Miata We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver NASA Champs Winner - NASA Champs Winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner ARRC Champion - Won the ARRC Race in a Spec Miata ARRC Champion - Won the ARRC Race in a Spec Miata Majors Winner - BFG Supertour Winner -

Jim Boemler

Jim Boemler

Veteran Member

• Moderators
  • 852 posts
  • Region:NWR
  • Car Year:1992
  • Car Number:30

How much would a tow home cost you?

Unless a cam gets sent away for measurement, the question also becomes "how much would it cost to have the shop/person put your car back together".

Bumming a shock off someone probably wouldn't be hard.

Well, the tow is 200 miles, so it's not cheap.  As for reassembly, the cost isn't dollars, it's time -- it would mena staying overnight, and missing work the next day.  I agree a shock is no problem, but an engine or trans would be.  I'm glad I never read that paragraph, or I would have missed out on years of racing.

Tom Sager

Tom Sager

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,693 posts
  • Region:Central
  • Car Year:1996
  • Car Number:94

Waaaayyyy back in the day, there were some Renault LeCar's running in SSC.  They were very underpowered and often rolled onto their side in tight corners.  Over time most of them were cheated up, the most common cheat being lowered springs which made them faster and kept them from rolling over.  At Lime Rock one of those damn things showed up and put a woopin' on the field, passing all those high powered pintos, vegas and opels on the straight.  Very suspicious.  Protest filed. They open the hood and start poking around and found the car had a completely different engine installed.  Instead of the standard 1.4 litre (I think), it had a 1.7 from some other Renault model.  

• Michael Colangelo likes this
Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+

fishguyaz

fishguyaz

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 119 posts
  • Region:AZ
  • Car Number:92

am I wrong but there seems to be a BIG difference in how NASA ans SCCA handle this?

nasa will take matters into their own hands on suspicious cars and check them out.

scca will ONLY take action when a competitor files a protest. as i understand it, in scca we cannot just say "the motor is illegal so tear it apart and find the issue" I think we must be specific in what item(s) we want tested AND put up $ as a protestor.  if this is the case( as i understand it) it would be MUCH harder to be caught in SCCA.

I guess this is how scca prevents protest from guys who "know" someone is cheating based upon the fact that they were simply beaten by the other guy.

i just cannot figure out what satifaction is gained by knowingly racing a cheated up car(in any class), and why people make the effort in time and $ to attempt this.

Josh Pitt
1999 SM #92 SoPac division

Jim Drago

Jim Drago

East Street Racing / 2 Time National Champion

• Administrators
  • 6,566 posts
  • Region:Mid South
  • Car Year:2005
  • Car Number:2

Frank, I didn't say a word about the 1.6 with 131hp.

Do the math, car weight pounds/foot pound of torque for the 1.6 and for the 99 then please provide your thoughts.

David Dewhurst

Start another thread or add to the 1000 others started please..

• Blake Thompson likes this

East Street Auto Parts
Jim@Eaststreet.com
800 700 9080

NASA Champs Winner - NASA Champs Winner Hoosier Super Tour points Champion - Hoosier Super Tour points Champion ARRC Champion - Won the ARRC Race in a Spec Miata Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata BFG Supertour Winner - Majors Winner - Circuit of the Americas Winner - We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner SCCA National Champion - Won SCCA Runoffs at Road America SCCA National Champion - Won SCCA Runoffs at Road America

Jamz14

Jamz14

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,310 posts

[/quote]"I guess I took this as kind of a good ridannce...to the participants
btw(the car can't go by itself)! People,problems, good and bad move back
and forth between the 2 clubs. What is SCCA'S problem today, may be
yours and NASA's tomorrow. It's a small community! I wasn't being
critical...I should have put at "lol" at the end!"[/quote]

Ron,

Understood. Forums are terrible for conveying intent and meaning, and I have an additional problem of my words coming out much harsher than my intent.

Actually I don't want the car to leave NASA at all!! I Want the fields as large as possible and to have my driver competing with the best. Only then will I know that the driver of my car has what it takes to be on the podium. Not only that, I have a vested interest in seeing as many Teen Challenge drivers as possible in the series.

That being said though, It is incredibly frustrating to think that all our hard work and money put into winning a series, can be destroyed by the antics of others. I don't know if they care or realize the destruction it causes to the aspirations of good kids trying to make their way in this incredibly tough business. I have complete faith though that both organizations are capable of recognizing when something is askew and will take that into consideration when making judgments on the performance of others.

To all, a quick digression; Our car was involved in a racing incident that put the driver in the hospital with a concussion Saturday. I want to thank the great staff at NASA for their professional treatment in arranging an examination by their on track medical staff and for their stance on safety equipment. I also want to thank all of the SOCAL NASA SM competitors. They helped us so much in getting the car back together and ready to race on Sunday even though we didn't know if my son would be cleared to race the next day . Especially to John Mueller who offered so much in the way parts, advice, and concern.Thank you NASA, thank you drivers, and thank you John!  Also to Peter at Autotechknic ( I am sure I am screwing up his company name) , he leveraged his track contacts and helped us tirelessly in getting the car back and never asked for anything in return. I owe him a 12 pack. Thanks all.

Broken record - You are starting to sound like a broken record. Donor - Made PayPal donation Sponsor / Advertiser - Site sponsor / advertiser... support these guys! Novel Approach - When a paragraph simply won't do... Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+ Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

JRHille

JRHille

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 430 posts
  • Region:Great Lakes
  • Car Number:48

So would there still be a 6 month suspension if you refused teardown because you didn't want to take the car apart and just admitted it wasn't legal? or just skip tech and take a dq? Discouraging that this happens, but also discouraging to know that they could have just skipped tech to avoid the 6 month suspension and take a DQ.  Clearly something wasn't legal. Not willing to wait for the 800 some page gcr to load on my ancient PC to check the rules. 

Sucks that this happens in such a competitive class, but I guess that's what you get with such tough competition. What I don't understand is how people get any satisfaction out of the racing if they know they have a clear and obvious advantage.  Maybe he/she convinced him/herself that's what everyone does.

1999 Spec Miata
Hilltrux - Roush - V2 Motorsports - ESR

BFG Supertour Winner - SCCA National Champion - Won SCCA Runoffs at Road America Majors Winner - Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Caveman-kwebb99

Caveman-kwebb99

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,062 posts
  • Region:Great lakes
  • Car Year:2000
  • Car Number:99
How many teens would even have he mechanical ability to get 131hp out of a 1.6?

The real question here is how many classy moms and dads are out there providing their empressionable kids with blatant cheated cars. What a fine example that sets for a youngster!!!!

Better to tell your poor kid you don't believe he has the talent then to prove it to him or her by giving them a cheated up car.
  • john mueller and MPR22 like this

K. Webb