Rob Burgoon

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,465 posts
  • Car Year:1995
  • Car Number:91

A plaaaan.... mmmm.... yesssh....

Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill - Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations!

Rob Burgoon

Rob Burgoon

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,465 posts

Uh-oh, what happened to Drago and Charbs on that last lap.  Did someone do something silly?

Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill - Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations!

Muda

Muda

ComingToAMirrorNearYou

• SMembers
  • PipPipPip
  • 365 posts
  • Region:WDC
  • Car Year:1999

A little confusion????

Ahhh, do we throw the checker or not?

This track needs to go club.

Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+ Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Brendan O

Brendan O

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 215 posts
  • Region:SE
  • Car Year:2003

fiasco - no checkered flag on correct last lap - and i thought this would be a well run event

congrats to everyone, especially Drago

Bench Racer

Bench Racer

Different strokes for different folks : )

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,508 posts
  • Region:Milwaukee
  • Car Year:1990
  • Car Number:14
Great job folks.

Drago

Charb

Berry

Haldman

Steyn

Verges 1.6 Gained 7 spots

Reynolds

Rushing 1.6 gained 1 spot

Grand Pa gained 11 spots

Reger
Broken record - You are starting to sound like a broken record. Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Rob Burgoon

Rob Burgoon

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,465 posts

Not sure if those results are right.  Timing stopped before the checkers came.  I heard Berry won it.

High Chair

High Chair

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 430 posts
  • Region:CFR
  • Car Number:97

Bench Racer has them correct. The last lap did not count

Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! ARRC Champion - Won the ARRC Race in a Spec Miata Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Johnny D

Johnny D

Veteran Member

• Moderators
  • 6,121 posts
  • Region:San Francisco
  • Car Number:88

The rule is when time runs out, 1st across wins. Drago did with no checker. T$S had it right not just stopped.

Berry came across next lap with checkers but the 1st rule applies.

J~

2011 NASA Western Endurance Racing Championship E3 Champ
We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Beta-Tester - Assisted us with beta testing the website. Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Novel Approach - When a paragraph simply won't do... Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill - Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+

Bench Racer

Bench Racer

Different strokes for different folks : )

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,508 posts
  • Region:Milwaukee

Not sure if those results are right.  Timing stopped before the checkers came.  I heard Berry won it.

The announcer said the race ended the lap before Berry took the lead. IIRC he said by rule when they cross the finish line with the thirty minute clock a zero, the race is over. Just reporting what the pro reporter said.

EDIT:
Damn, I type as slow as I race.
Broken record - You are starting to sound like a broken record. Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

FTodaro

FTodaro

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,084 posts
  • Region:Great Lakes
  • Car Year:2001
  • Car Number:35

Is there any place i can see the the entire finishing order? I went to the SCCA web did not see anything?

Frank
TnT Racing
SCCA Ohio Valley Region

Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+ We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Donor - Made PayPal donation

Ron Alan

Ron Alan

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,732 posts

Man, if I wrecked my car on the last lap thinking it was the last lap...I'd be pissed! I wonder if JD and Andrew got the memo before the lap ended and backed off letting Berry and Haldeman go by??

Ron

RAmotorsports

Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Craig Berry

Craig Berry

• SMembers
  • PipPipPip
  • 348 posts
  • Region:TX
  • Car Number:29
Lol.... Nobody backed off because one of the first things u learn is Race to the checkered flag... That's what we did. Andrew Jim and I battled so hard the others caught up. That was an incredible race! Those 2 are awesome, and vid,eo out of the back of my car show Haldeman make a Scott P type move... Can't wait to post!! Cant say enough about how the last 2 national champs can drive. Protest is filed... Video and scca radio show 8 seconds left as Jim crossed line.... But you never know what can happen. I'm proud of the race, fast lap, and to be able to race such good drivers!
  • Jim Drago likes this
Circuit of the Americas Winner - Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver BFG Supertour Winner - Majors Winner - Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+ We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations!

Danny Steyn

Danny Steyn

Zulu rain warrior

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,439 posts
  • Region:FL
  • Car Number:39

Congrats to Jim Drago, Craig Berry, Andrew Charbonneau, and especially Chris Haldeman who all put on an amazing show. One of the most enjoyable races of my career.

My race video of the last lap (or fake last lap) is just off the hook!!! Going into Turn 15 all 5 of the leaders have a shot at winning!!!!! Its an amazing video which I will post in the near future. 

The move of the race was from Charbonneau who forced himself between Drago and Berry on the first lap in the Esses, that kept Drago and Berry from working together the way they normally do.

And a huge congrats to the ENTIRE Spec Miata field for keeping it clean****, keeping it on track, and keeping it caution free!! I was afraid that we would embarrass ourselves as a class, but honestly, we put on an amazing show for the crowds. Happy to have been part of the first SM race at COTA. Spoke with Jeff Danhert (SCCA Pres) at the post race podium awards, and he was thrilled that we had put on such a great show.

**** I did hear from Pat Sandlin and Blake Clements that there was some pretty aggressive driving behind me that resulted in contact and spins, disappointed to hear that!

Did hear as we left the track that as they ran so late today and were not able to get the last group in, that there will be NO qualifying tomorrow, and that we will all grid according to our fastest race laps.

Danny
Danny Steyn Racing | DSR YouTube Channel
Danny Steyn Photography | Adept Studios | Ocean MachineryOPM AutosportsRossini Racing Engines | G-Loc Brakes | 

2 x SCCA Runoffs Champ | 1 x NASA National Champ | 6 x June Sprints Champ | 10 x ARRC Champ

1 x SCCA Super Sweep | 2 x Triple Crown | 4 x Hoosier Super Tour Points Champ | 6 x Majors Points Champ | 5 x SEDiv Driver of the Year

June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata ARRC Champion - Won the ARRC Race in a Spec Miata We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver NASA Champs Winner - NASA Champs Winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner ARRC Champion - Won the ARRC Race in a Spec Miata ARRC Champion - Won the ARRC Race in a Spec Miata Majors Winner - BFG Supertour Winner -

suck fumes

suck fumes

• SMembers
  • PipPipPip
  • 425 posts
  • Region:Lonestar
  • Car Year:1997
  • Car Number:75
Yep I got the short end of the stick. I race first thing in the morning. Which in a way may be better cause its supposed to pour tomm and being that I'm driving a NASA CMC car in T1 that evens things out a bit haha!
2010, 2011 SM Sowdiv points champion!
2011 National points champion!

WWW.MOTORSPORTHEAVEN.COM

Rob Burgoon

Rob Burgoon

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,465 posts

Crazy.  I guess no checkers or 1 to go is better than the field getting rearranged in pregrid...

Michael Novak

Michael Novak

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 510 posts
  • Region:Michigan
  • Car Year:2002
  • Car Number:#9
The event has been very well run overall. The only missing is speed. They need to get the next group on track faster. The people have been very friendly. The track layout leads to ontact in sm. it feels like short course racing with some long sections in between.
Majors Winner - Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+ Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

cam

cam

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 69 posts
  • Region:SOW

Talked with T&S this evening about the SM race, the way it was explained to me is that it was an officially 30 minute race. T&S has to estimate when to tell Flag 1 when to give last lap and throw the checkered flag. Today, the lead pack was really close to making an extra lap but exceeded the 30 minute limit just before crossing the timing loop.  Therefore, the finishing order was whatever the order was when the led car crosses after 30 minutes.  It was implied that if the lead was 2 seconds quicker, then the race would have ran for the extra lap.  It was a judgment call from T&S that did not work out this time.  All in all, the volunteers to a good job.

Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Jim Drago

Jim Drago

East Street Racing / 2 Time National Champion

• Administrators
  • 6,566 posts
  • Region:Mid South
  • Car Year:2005
  • Car Number:2

I echo what the others said.. The talent is SO deep in SM.  I have no idea what happened. As far as I knew I finished forth.  We got the one to go twice, but no checker. My car had the dreaded 99 misfire from the pace lap forward, and got really bad towards the end,  worse lap after lap.  I can say I thought we were on the last lap, but when there was no checker, we all still went like hell. No one lifted, no one gave up.  I could care less what happens, we had a a great race and no one wins in this situation.  I don't think anyone is worried about where they finished, just want a clear green and checkered. I didnt know what to say on the podium, very uncomfortable situation as the results were contested and just a very strange race. 

The race itself, probably one of the hardest fought yet cleanest I have been involved in,  Andrew and I had two light touches with no marks, I think Craig and Andrew touched as well, but everyone gave room to each and played very nice.  You just expect people to make mistakes at the speeds we were turning lap after lap and no one really did, just insane. I think we put on a hell of a show. 

No idea what will happen with the protest, but hopefully it wont overshadow a great race. One thing for certain, even when there should be no drama, we find it SM. Sincere congrats to Craig, Andrew, Chis and Danny, All deserve a sincere congrats regardless of what the final results were. If it went another lap, the results could be different again. After all the smoke cleared, the same guys managed to be at the the front. If the podium stands, it is the same three from the runoffs. 

We are putting in a new engine harness tomorrow along with a cam sensor. I will go out in STL to test and see what we have, One thing for certain, SM is STILL the best dam class and racing anywhere! Still laughing about how much fun that race was laughing

Side note:

Sam Henry won FP production( GREAT RACE SAMMY)

Matt Reynolds won E prod

Charlie James won B spec.

SM drivers dominate where ever we go! :)

East Street Auto Parts
Jim@Eaststreet.com
800 700 9080

NASA Champs Winner - NASA Champs Winner Hoosier Super Tour points Champion - Hoosier Super Tour points Champion ARRC Champion - Won the ARRC Race in a Spec Miata Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata BFG Supertour Winner - Majors Winner - Circuit of the Americas Winner - We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner SCCA National Champion - Won SCCA Runoffs at Road America SCCA National Champion - Won SCCA Runoffs at Road America

pat slattery

pat slattery

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 724 posts
  • Region:Cincinnati
  • Car Year:1992
  • Car Number:79

Keith Verges, did a great job in his SRF and also the SM.  Congrats to all in that front pack, I watched the live timing  and listened on the SCCA live radio broadcast and it was very exciting.

Pat

Broken record - You are starting to sound like a broken record. Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Broken record - You are starting to sound like a broken record.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users