146 replies to this topic

dstevens

dstevens

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,404 posts
  • Region:LVR

Glad to hear it went relatively well.  With as ambitious a schedule they had it's no surprise they have to scrub quals for the last group.

Tom Sager

Tom Sager

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,693 posts
  • Region:Central
  • Car Year:1996
  • Car Number:94

Sounds like it was one heck of a good show with much of the usual cream rising to the top.  Hope today's event is equally fun, competitive and incident free.  

Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+

Waterboy

Waterboy

MEATHEAD Racing Hitman

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 232 posts
  • Region:WDC
  • Car Year:1999
  • Car Number:15
Doesn't appear to have quite as well today
Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+

Danny Steyn

Danny Steyn

Zulu rain warrior

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,439 posts
  • Region:FL
  • Car Number:39
No good deed goes unpunished. Chris Haldeman, one of the nicest guys I have ever met in racing helped me get up to speed at COTA, and what did I do? I took him ou on the 2nd lap after the restart. I was so disappointed in myself that I parked my car. Chris you had the speed to be up front and I ruined your shot at it. Chris I am so sorry!
  • Jim Drago likes this

Danny
Danny Steyn Racing | DSR YouTube Channel
Danny Steyn Photography | Adept Studios | Ocean MachineryOPM AutosportsRossini Racing Engines | G-Loc Brakes | 

2 x SCCA Runoffs Champ | 1 x NASA National Champ | 6 x June Sprints Champ | 10 x ARRC Champ

1 x SCCA Super Sweep | 2 x Triple Crown | 4 x Hoosier Super Tour Points Champ | 6 x Majors Points Champ | 5 x SEDiv Driver of the Year

June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata ARRC Champion - Won the ARRC Race in a Spec Miata We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver NASA Champs Winner - NASA Champs Winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner ARRC Champion - Won the ARRC Race in a Spec Miata ARRC Champion - Won the ARRC Race in a Spec Miata Majors Winner - BFG Supertour Winner -

Johnny D

Johnny D

Veteran Member

• Moderators
  • 6,121 posts
  • Region:San Francisco
  • Car Number:88

Berry

Bolanos

Charb

Drago

Reynolds

Leverone

Carter

Rushing

Verges

Reger

J~

2011 NASA Western Endurance Racing Championship E3 Champ
We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Beta-Tester - Assisted us with beta testing the website. Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Novel Approach - When a paragraph simply won't do... Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill - Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+

Mitch Reading

Mitch Reading

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 265 posts
  • Car Year:1991
  • Car Number:65

Why didn't Meat, Pat and Blake start?  Broadcast sounded like Craig and Alex had standout races, well done. 

Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+ Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Muda

Muda

ComingToAMirrorNearYou

• SMembers
  • PipPipPip
  • 365 posts

Looked like a he!! of a race even from the computer screen.

Can't wait to see the vids.

Congrats to Berry, Bolanos & Charb for the podium.

Congrats to our local boy, Nick Leverone in 6th!

Who was the other commentator on the online feed?

He really added a lot to the reporting.

Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+ Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Brendan O

Brendan O

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 215 posts
  • Region:SE
  • Car Year:2003

No good deed goes unpunished. Chris Haldeman, one of the nicest guys I have ever met in racing helped me get up to speed at COTA, and what did I do? I took him ou on the 2nd lap after the restart. I was so disappointed in myself that I parked my car. Chris you had the speed to be up front and I ruined your shot at it. Chris I am so sorry!

Man - you are too hard on yourself. It was probably just a racing incident. Any chance we can see the video?

Jim Drago

Jim Drago

East Street Racing / 2 Time National Champion

• Administrators
  • 6,566 posts
  • Region:Mid South
  • Car Year:2005
  • Car Number:2

Congrats to Craig today, win from the pole.   Being a Texan, this is like the Daytona 500!   :) Hard work and talent pays off. He was fast all weekend, drove a great race today and deserved the win. That makes two poles and two wins for us.  I felt guilty taking yesterdays win the way it went down, but no so much now after Craig won today :)

Today's race was a little rough. Andrew and Craig came together on the straight leading to turn one on the front row. No idea what happened there. They both shot off each other. I went inside to miss Craig, I think I was hit by two or three different people there, no idea how many, but it felt like bumper cars. My left mirror was ripped off, left front and rear wheels knocked out of whack. Dents pretty much down both sides of the car. :( Glad I decided not to paint before Cota.   For all intents and purposes my race was over at T1.  The car would not turn right at all and t3, t6 and t16-18 were just about no doable.  It would have been nice to race one of the two days with a car that had no issues, sometimes it just works out that way. 

STL race was fun, ran the SM in ITS trim ( no plate) and started from the back since I didn't race yesterday and got to third.  The alphabet soup racing is tough.. It can be crazy.  What I can tell is the best drivers are definitely in SM

Jim

• CruzanTom likes this

East Street Auto Parts
Jim@Eaststreet.com
800 700 9080

NASA Champs Winner - NASA Champs Winner Hoosier Super Tour points Champion - Hoosier Super Tour points Champion ARRC Champion - Won the ARRC Race in a Spec Miata Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata BFG Supertour Winner - Majors Winner - Circuit of the Americas Winner - We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner SCCA National Champion - Won SCCA Runoffs at Road America SCCA National Champion - Won SCCA Runoffs at Road America

JRHille

JRHille

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 430 posts
  • Region:Great Lakes
  • Car Number:48

Sounds like a great time and I wish I could have been there playing too. 

Danny you're a stand up guy after what you did, most would keep going, I probably would have..

Congrats Jim and Craig on the wins, and congrats to everyone else who ran.  Hopefully not a once in a lifetime opportunity driving on the track because I want to do it!  Cant wait to see videos

1999 Spec Miata
Hilltrux - Roush - V2 Motorsports - ESR

BFG Supertour Winner - SCCA National Champion - Won SCCA Runoffs at Road America Majors Winner - Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

CruzanTom

CruzanTom

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 295 posts
  • Region:Southeast
  • Car Number:44

A little COTA review from the mid-pack and back bunch.

COTA was a blast to race, although the local region struggled to handle the weekend. I had a great time debuting my new car at the only F1 race track in the USA! Besides building me a fast and beautiful car, the OPM gang was top-notch, as always. Tom, Tracy, Jonathon and Richard kept us going no matter what the issues. Jim Pace is a great guy to have in the paddock - he has race intelligence like no other. Team mates Danny Steyn, Glenn Stephens, Jonathon Czarny, Jeff Rothstein and Willie Phee are always fun to be around. 

Thanks to all of the great camaraderie in SM. Today I got hit on Lap 1 and had a tire go down. I made it to the pits just as a Double Yellow came out. As I pulled in, I see a F1-quality pit crew rush out to change my tire and mend the damage - Tom Fowler, Mike Collins, and Jim Pace. Vettel get jealous; I didn't lose a lap.

During the BS sessions at the end of the day, Andrew Charbonneau  Danny Steyn, Tom Brown and many others were eager to watch my videos and point out my mistakes.

East Street Racing paddocked next to us and it is always fun to hang out with Pat Sandlin, Craig Berry and Jim Drago. I barely have time to stop laughing before the next story is told. Congratulations for your great finishes. The Meathead crew was on the ball and fast all weekend, too.

Farther back in the pack, it was a blast to see many others I usually only see on this forum. Kyle Webb is the most competitive but gracious guy I know (little known secret - Kyle really knows how to spell). Michael Ross is a class act, if everyone from Texas was like him, Texas would rule the world; Todd Lamb is the true gentleman among racers, Ted Cahall, Tom Long, Whit Gregg, and all of the other fine racers I swapped positions with, thanks for the fun and racing room. 

I hope other classes enjoy racing as we do in SM.

• john mueller, Glenn and MPR22 like this

Tom Hart

#44 SM and T-4

2014 SC Driver of the Year

2015 SE Championship Series Spec Miata Champion

2016 SE Championship Series Spec Miata Champion

We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Donor - Made PayPal donation

Butch Kummer

Butch Kummer

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 179 posts
  • Region:Atlanta

[Who was the other commentator on the online feed?

He really added a lot to the reporting.]

Not sure who you are thinking about, but besides Greg Creamer doing the play-by-play, Mike Pettiford and some guy name Jim Daniels were also adding color. It was good to see Jim back at the track (podiumed in EP on Sunday) after laying out for two years.

Butch Kummer

Former SCCA Director of Club Racing (2012-2014)

Jim Drago

Jim Drago

East Street Racing / 2 Time National Champion

• Administrators
  • 6,566 posts
  • Region:Mid South
  • Car Year:2005
  • Car Number:2
That is really cool. I wasn't aware Jim and mike were doing color. They know many of the players so that was probably a good broadcast. Greg Kramer is really good on his own, surprised one of the networks hasn't picked that guy up, he is better than most I listen to weekly calling races.
Well the party is over.. On the plane headed back to memphis and a few days back log of work after getting up at 3:45 to make the flight... Surely will be a great day 😄

East Street Auto Parts
Jim@Eaststreet.com
800 700 9080

NASA Champs Winner - NASA Champs Winner Hoosier Super Tour points Champion - Hoosier Super Tour points Champion ARRC Champion - Won the ARRC Race in a Spec Miata Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata BFG Supertour Winner - Majors Winner - Circuit of the Americas Winner - We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner SCCA National Champion - Won SCCA Runoffs at Road America SCCA National Champion - Won SCCA Runoffs at Road America

LarryKing

LarryKing

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,659 posts

"As I pulled in, I see a F1-quality pit crew rush out to change my tire and mend the damage - Tom Fowler, Mike Collins, and Jim Pace. Vettel get jealous; I didn't lose a lap."

Now THAT is really cool!

2017 - SMSE SEDiv ECR Champion
Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Muda

Muda

ComingToAMirrorNearYou

• SMembers
  • PipPipPip
  • 365 posts

Must have been Jim on Sunday talking about Bolanos.  He added a lot to the broadcast.  Nice to have him back on the track and on the air.

Craig Berry

Craig Berry

• SMembers
  • PipPipPip
  • 348 posts
  • Region:TX
  • Car Number:29
Congrats to Jim, Alex, Andrew and the others who had a good weekend!
What a great week. We felt really good about our dry set up and chances after the thurs test day..... The damp fri practice session brought us back down to reality, with Steyn, Lamb and others really able to do amazing things in difficult conditions. Thankfully all runs that counted were on a dry track.

The race Sat was one of my favorites ever! From the green it was a three way battle with myself, Andrew, and Jim.... All of us had the point at some time during the race. VERY hard clean racing. I was content in 3rd most of the time because I did not know if Andrew could keep the tires the entire race.... I was Wrong!... He drove the wheels off it and never slowed. I also thought there was a chance Andrew and Jim might come together and I could capitalize. Our crew was on the radio saying to keep pushing, that the SCCA was debating on when to throw the checkered.... The 3 of us battled like crazy on whatwethought may be the last lap.... With Andrew and Jim passing me. The battling allowed Danny, Chris, and maybe even others to shrink or lead.... Andrew made a great pass on me giving Jim an opportunity to make it 3 wide coming out of 1.... Andrew and I touched giving Jim the momentum. The order stayed Jim, Andrew and myself that lap. Our crew was still saying there might be another lap.... At the line we got the1 to go, not the checkered. This Next last lap was incredible! The others had caught us and the battle was on for the first COTA SM win. On the back strait Andrew drafted beside Jim, this createda huge hole in the air for me and even larger one for Danny and Chris. I was able to draft to the inside of Andrew and secure the pass. From the rear of my car... And I will be posting this video!... We saw some of the most incredible racing ever! The moves Chris made with out contact were something all need to see. I took the checkered and thought I won, made the parade lap and pulled to the scale only to be told the were going back 1 lap and freezing the field giving Jim the win, Andrew 2nd and I would receive the3rd. The explanation was that Jim crossed the line less than 1 second after the 30 min mark. Congrats Jim! I wish u could have gotten the parade lap! Only good thing about that mess up was the really cool and intense final lap that developed!

Sunday race.... I was able to start on pole with my fast lap from sat race. Andrew2, Jim 3. At the green Andrew and I were side by side on front strait in 4thgear.... Jim was a few feet back and I did not think he would dive my inside into the 2nd gear turn 1.... I was trying to stay strait to take a More normal line in 1....all of a sudden Andrews front tire touches mine and we both shoot to the side letting the others pull beside us... It seemed like 10 wide! Turn 1 felt like a pinball machine for myself and many others..... I raced downd the hill with Andrew on my right rear quarter.... Held my breath in turn 2 knowing if he touched me I was done... He did not. Going into the esses I was leading then I saw Andrew come from off track to the lead. He had to cut the esses to avoid creating a crash. I followedandrew the next 2 laps, then we had a full course cation. On the restart I had a great run on Andrew, he tried to block but I was able to squeeze inside on 1. I was able to develop a very small gap over the Battle with Jm, Andrew and Balonos. I was trying to run one hard lap then one maintenance lap to save my tires and 3rd gear was starting to feel a little funny. I have never had such negative thoughts in a car... I was thinking something was gonna break. Fortunately it heald together and I had a great view thru themirrorof three grat drivers pounding on each other!

I want to thank Jim, East Street, my family, Robert Loyd, Gerry Klingman, the 7 1/2 year together love of my life Jolie, my sponsors including Austin based AG&M! Could not even attempt to race without all the support, besides it would be no fun without friends!

For the SM guys around the country who could not make it, rest assured SM put on a great show!
  • Glenn and MPR22 like this
Circuit of the Americas Winner - Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver BFG Supertour Winner - Majors Winner - Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+ We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations!

Mike Collins

Mike Collins

Big Cheese

• Moderators
  • 1,262 posts
  • Region:Washington DC
  • Car Number:75

Why didn't Meat, Pat and Blake start?  Broadcast sounded like Craig and Alex had standout races, well done. 

I took a knife to a gun fight...I put a seat in a rental car and the motor started to let go at the end of the race on Saturday. I had a great time hanging out with d friends.
Mike "MEATHEAD" Collins
Founder - Partner
MEATHEADRacing
240-476-1593

www.meatheadracing.com
Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+ Sponsor / Advertiser - Site sponsor / advertiser... support these guys! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Sugar Daddy - Made PayPal donation of $500+ Donor - Made PayPal donation Beta-Tester - Assisted us with beta testing the website. MX5 Cup Participant - Has Participated in a MX5Cup.com Series Event Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other

Caveman-kwebb99

Caveman-kwebb99

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,062 posts
  • Region:Great lakes
  • Car Year:2000
  • Car Number:99
A few thoughts:

Tom Hart is the coolest SM racer, even if hge dont know what a mirror is aacording to charb...

Jim, and Craig and Robert helped me exponetialy!!!! Thanks to them I was just hanging out at the back of the p4-p18 train, just turning laps as one after another the guys in front of me kept taking each other out or just running off the tack. I might have breifly pierced the top 10 not really sure. the car was so good, tires were spot on, and then we had a damn double yellow for 3-4 laps where i proceeded to tell myslef its time to make your move there will only be time for 4 more green laps once it goes green. IT WENT GREEN ALRIGHT...

aFTER DANNY took himself and Holderman out at t1 I was still sitting there with anderson 2 playing along right behind me and a about a 6 -8 car gap to the next group behind. I proceeded to mash the gas way to early in t11 and rather than just runn wide to keep my momentum tryed to stay on the track and looped the car, stupid mistake. backwards about 10 spots and then it got worse from there avoiding a couple more crashes, and quite the race before the checker, so I get get out of dodge!

Most all of the wrecks I saw in 2 days, could have been avoided if drivers knew that they had mirrors. This is the dove bomb track from hell, if you dont watch mirrors you wont finish... YOU MUST GIVE UP THE CORNER!!!! Saw so many people take each other out just so they wouldnt loose a corner, didnt look like thaqt approach was the right one.

Feranti got spun on sat. and came back to team up with me, he was driving like a mad man with me haning on for dear life pushing him down the straight and jumping in on all his pass attempts, it was a good combo. Not sure how many turns he actually stayed on the track, but he would always manage to get just in front of my bumper when we got straight for the push again! Man was that a blast. To bad for him it had to go that way, he had such a good start possition on Sat.

The Reger Kid, Say what you want the kid is smart. Learned everything I would show him on day one in practice just folling me, then found someone faster next day, why cant all the kids be this smart? Nice Job!
  • Gary Norris likes this

K. Webb