Rob Burgoon

Rob Burgoon

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,465 posts
  • Car Year:1995
  • Car Number:91

Edit:  This post is a reply to a post Jim deleted that suggested that heavier sway bars would create mixed handling.  This was a misunderstanding as Jim thought I was talking about sway bar bind, not more anti-sway.  My car currently oversteers everywhere, it is not loose and pushy at the same time like this post on its own might suggest.

How in the h3ll do you end up with a car that is both pushy and loose at the same time by making small changes to sway bars?

Changing camber away from optimal or putting toe out in the rear or cranking the air pressure to the moon are examples of "taking away grip".

If I go up 50lbs on the front springs and go up 50lbs on the rear springs, I haven't taken away grip from both ends of the car necessarily, I've just changed the overall spring rate.  

Adding stiffer sway bars front and rear is a similar sort of change.  On a track that requires more independence in the suspension, it hurts.  On a perfectly smooth track where it just reduces body roll, that might help.

Now it could be that our cars prefer less sway bar everywhere due to having good camber curves, but that shouldn't have anything to do with pushy and death loose at the same time.

As long as you're not taking it to the extreme, sway bar changes just help decide which outside tire gives up first.  The trick is to balance the outside tires so they give up at the same time after having given their best effort at the best pressure and camber while in good contact with the road (shocks).

Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill - Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations!

Jim Drago

Jim Drago

East Street Racing / 2 Time National Champion

• Administrators
  • 6,566 posts
  • Region:Mid South
  • Car Year:2005
  • Car Number:2

How in the h3ll do you end up with a car that is both pushy and loose at the same time by making small changes to sway bars?

Changing camber away from optimal or putting toe out in the rear or cranking the air pressure to the moon are examples of "taking away grip".

If I go up 50lbs on the front springs and go up 50lbs on the rear springs, I haven't taken away grip from both ends of the car necessarily, I've just changed the overall spring rate.  

Adding stiffer sway bars front and rear is a similar sort of change.  On a track that requires more independence in the suspension, it hurts.  On a perfectly smooth track where it just reduces body roll, that might help.

Now it could be that our cars prefer less sway bar everywhere due to having good camber curves, but that shouldn't have anything to do with pushy and death loose at the same time.

As long as you're not taking it to the extreme, sway bar changes just help decide which outside tire gives up first.  The trick is to balance the outside tires so they give up at the same time after having given their best effort at the best pressure and camber while in good contact with the road (shocks).

Well it seems you have it all figured out so what are you asking us dummies for?  :wacko:

I will go back to the first line of my post. I don't have problems getting my car to handle  :noidea:  

East Street Auto Parts
Jim@Eaststreet.com
800 700 9080

NASA Champs Winner - NASA Champs Winner Hoosier Super Tour points Champion - Hoosier Super Tour points Champion ARRC Champion - Won the ARRC Race in a Spec Miata Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata BFG Supertour Winner - Majors Winner - Circuit of the Americas Winner - We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner SCCA National Champion - Won SCCA Runoffs at Road America SCCA National Champion - Won SCCA Runoffs at Road America

Caveman-kwebb99

Caveman-kwebb99

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,062 posts
  • Region:Great lakes
  • Car Year:2000
  • Car Number:99
Wow... why ask questions when u don't want no answers... just flip a.coin for you sway settings and go race

K. Webb
Powered by East Street Racing (Best engines in Spec Miata)

Driver coach, Spec Miata Prep shop, Spec Miata Setup

2016 Hard Charger award passing 12 cars runoffs 2016 Mid Ohio

2016 P3 RUNOFFS OVER 40 DIVISION LOL!

2015 First consolation prize Northern Conference Majors Title Pageant
2015 Winner Circus Cat Majors Road America

2015 Winner BlackHawk Majors crash fest

My Signature is still not as long as Danny boy's

Donor - Made PayPal donation Majors Winner - Chatterbox - Blah blah blah... Blah blah blah Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+

Johnny D

Johnny D

Veteran Member

• Moderators
  • 6,121 posts
  • Region:San Francisco
  • Car Year:1999
  • Car Number:88

Did you try your car after you put new bushing in?

J~

2011 NASA Western Endurance Racing Championship E3 Champ
We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Beta-Tester - Assisted us with beta testing the website. Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Novel Approach - When a paragraph simply won't do... Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill - Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+

Rob Burgoon

Rob Burgoon

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,465 posts

I kinda understand how springs and sway bars and corner weights are supposed to work.  I know how to make my car handle decently with a non-adjustable front bar.

What I don't know is how big a change to expect from adjusting the front bar since the front bar has only been adjustable since I put spacers in my end links this last weekend.

I would love to do a test day and sort all this out, but I don't think I have the time for a test day before the Majors.  So instead I'm polling the peanut gallery since some people have had a decade to play with 1.6 front sway settings and might be able to give a hint that will save me a session or two "trying to figure out what the knobs do".

Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill - Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations!

Rob Burgoon

Rob Burgoon

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,465 posts

Did you try your car after you put new bushing in?

J~

Nope, and that's the plan if I don't get any useful info from anyone here.  Since I suspect that a more vertical end link means "a tiny bit more sway", I'll stand up the links, set it on soft-soft, and go run the majors, then f* the car up when I have time for it.

I'm talking about end link bushings, not suspension bushings.

Caveman-kwebb99

Caveman-kwebb99

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,062 posts
  • Region:Great lakes
  • Car Year:2000
  • Car Number:99

Sager and I both tolded you not use full soft on the front... I knwo we are buth dumb dumbs so best of luck! 

K. Webb
Powered by East Street Racing (Best engines in Spec Miata)

Driver coach, Spec Miata Prep shop, Spec Miata Setup

2016 Hard Charger award passing 12 cars runoffs 2016 Mid Ohio

2016 P3 RUNOFFS OVER 40 DIVISION LOL!

2015 First consolation prize Northern Conference Majors Title Pageant
2015 Winner Circus Cat Majors Road America

2015 Winner BlackHawk Majors crash fest

My Signature is still not as long as Danny boy's

Donor - Made PayPal donation Majors Winner - Chatterbox - Blah blah blah... Blah blah blah Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+

MPR22

MPR22

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,138 posts
  • Region:Southwest
  • Car Number:22
If the problem is pushy at entry and snap oversteer mid corner sounds like bound front bar. My preferred 1.6 setting begins with full soft front and disconnected rear. If I struggle to get the car to rotate in slow speed turns the rear bar gets reconnected, rarely a problem. If you connected your front end links with no driver weight you could be creating the preload you don't want. My 2 cents.
Shattering - For those who cant drink tequila NASA Champs Winner - NASA Champs Winner Majors Winner - Novel Approach - When a paragraph simply won't do... We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Donor - Made PayPal donation

Johnny D

Johnny D

Veteran Member

• Moderators
  • 6,121 posts
  • Region:San Francisco
  • Car Number:88

I don't know, but I couldn't image it being that much different, that your all crazy now.

Wondering if doing the suspension bushing screwed something up.

Alway good to start from the  baseline so you can get back A-B-A.

But I know that doesn't help now. 

I know you don't want the endlink to bind, so standing them up sounds the way to go.

Buy somebody a beer to come take a look, fresh eye's sometime helps.

J~

2011 NASA Western Endurance Racing Championship E3 Champ
We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Beta-Tester - Assisted us with beta testing the website. Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Novel Approach - When a paragraph simply won't do... Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill - Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+

Rob Burgoon

Rob Burgoon

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,465 posts

Sager and I both tolded you not use full soft on the front... I knwo we are buth dumb dumbs so best of luck! 

The car has proven to be pretty good on full soft up front, so I'm not starting from an empty canvas here.  If what I had didn't work I'd take your advice on faith.

Rob Burgoon

Rob Burgoon

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,465 posts

I don't know, but I couldn't image it being that much different, that your all crazy now.

Wondering if doing the suspension bushing screwed something up.

Alway good to start from the  baseline so you can get back A-B-A.

But I know that doesn't help now. 

I know you don't want the endlink to bind, so standing them up sounds the way to go.

Buy somebody a beer to come take a look, fresh eye's sometime helps.

J~

This really isn't that complicated.  I had the old 1.8 bar and the car handled great.  I changed suspension bushings and the car handled great.  I put in the 1.6 front bar set to full soft and the car was oversteery.  I set the rear to full soft and the car was "a little oversteery, but not bad at all".  I'm trying to get rid of a little oversteer without resorting to dramatic ride height changes or tire pressure.

I've added spacers to the front end links and don't know yet if/how the car reacted to that.

Jim Drago

Jim Drago

East Street Racing / 2 Time National Champion

• Administrators
  • 6,566 posts
  • Region:Mid South
  • Car Year:2005
  • Car Number:2

I think you said you are trying to make the front bar work in the stiff position?  From reading all of this.. That seems like a good place to start. 

East Street Auto Parts
Jim@Eaststreet.com
800 700 9080

NASA Champs Winner - NASA Champs Winner Hoosier Super Tour points Champion - Hoosier Super Tour points Champion ARRC Champion - Won the ARRC Race in a Spec Miata Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata BFG Supertour Winner - Majors Winner - Circuit of the Americas Winner - We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner SCCA National Champion - Won SCCA Runoffs at Road America SCCA National Champion - Won SCCA Runoffs at Road America

SaulSpeedwell

SaulSpeedwell

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 792 posts

Retracted.

For faster reply than PM:  miataboxes>>>AT<<<gmail>>DOT<<<com

steveracer

steveracer

Blue Eyes, Aquarius, hates being squeezed to the grass in SowDiv

• SMembers
  • PipPipPip
  • 404 posts
  • Region:Lone Star
  • Car Number:92

Retracted.

Damn!

Where's the MBPPS when you need it?

P.S. I run the front bar full stiff/rear bar full soft.

Steven Holloway

Artist formerly known as Chief Whipping Boy for Lone Star Region

Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Bench Racer

Bench Racer

Different strokes for different folks : )

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,508 posts
  • Region:Milwaukee
  • Car Year:1990
  • Car Number:14

I changed suspension bushings and the car handled great.

In an earlier post you said you changed the end END LINK BUSHINGS. Please make up your mind.

I've added spacers to the front end links and don't know yet if/how the car reacted to that.

My front LCA is the one tab type and I have a spacer to get the link vertical. No matter what hole your in with the front links, set the link vertical and FORGET about the links. If you change to a different hole, set the link vertical and FORGET about the links. Forget about if a slight tilt to the link is screweing with the bar set-up. Get link tilt out of you mind. When you change the hole location, set the link vertical................

I put in the 1.6 front bar set to full soft and the car was oversteery.  

I set the rear to full soft and the car was "a little oversteery, but not bad at all".  

I'm trying to get rid of a little oversteer without resorting to dramatic ride height changes or tire pressure.

It appears from your comments that softening the rear bar is reducing the oversteer and the car is, "not bad at all". Disconnect one end of the rear bar and go to the track and Have Fun.

Presume you you have correct set-up for curent track other than the sway bars. 

My NA car with 1.6 bars is in the mid hole of 3 holes at the rear and the link is vertical. The front bar is in the short hole of 2 holes and the link is tilted forward approx 1/2 inch. 

Side note:

IMHE, talking about matching fornt to rear bars link mounting distance is nonsense. The friken diameters are different, the bar lengths are different, the arm lengths are different, the tracks are different. I dought there is any magic code for the bars. KEEP track specific notes.

Broken record - You are starting to sound like a broken record. Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Rob Burgoon

Rob Burgoon

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,465 posts

In an earlier post you said you changed the end END LINK BUSHINGS. Please make up your mind.

My front LCA is the one tab type and I have a spacer to get the link vertical. No matter what hole your in with the front links, set the link vertical and FORGET about the links. If you change to a different hole, set the link vertical and FORGET about the links. Forget about if a slight tilt to the link is screweing with the bar set-up. Get link tilt out of you mind. When you change the hole location, set the link vertical................

It appears from your comments that softening the rear bar is reducing the oversteer and the car is, "not bad at all". Disconnect one end of the rear bar and go to the track and Have Fun.

Presume you you have correct set-up for curent track other than the sway bars. 

My NA car with 1.6 bars is in the mid hole of 3 holes at the rear and the link is vertical. The front bar is in the short hole of 2 holes and the link is tilted forward approx 1/2 inch. 

Side note:

IMHE, talking about matching fornt to rear bars link mounting distance is nonsense. The friken diameters are different, the bar lengths are different, the arm lengths are different, the tracks are different. I dought there is any magic code for the bars. KEEP track specific notes.

Johnny is the one that brought up my suspension bushing change, not me.  No reason to get prickish about it.  I've been running links without any spacer whatsoever.  It was not physically possible to reach the stiffer holes on the front sway bar since the link wouldn't tip that far.  It's a significant amount of angle.

Isn't the change between full soft and disconnected on the rear sway a big jump?  If I have a little bit of oversteer now won't that turn it into a big push?

Everyone else, if you don't know the answer to my question, don't bother posting.  This isn't "how should I setup my car?" this is "how big a change is it between the holes on the front sway bar?"  I don't understand how this could be so confusing, so I think you guys are trolling.  If so, f*ck off.  Seriously, if you're not going to try to answer the question, go find another thread to play in.

Kyle Freiheit

Kyle Freiheit

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 130 posts
  • Region:NWR
  • Car Number:8

I don't know the answer, I did this awhile back but didn't save the work. Wth a little work with a tape measure and this spreadsheet you can get the answer, http://www.fatcatmot..._MSDS_1_6NA.htm

CruzanTom

CruzanTom

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 295 posts
  • Region:Southeast
  • Car Number:44

I don't know the answer, I did this awhile back but didn't save the work. Wth a little work with a tape measure and this spreadsheet you can get the answer, http://www.fatcatmot..._MSDS_1_6NA.htm

Kyle,

Not sure about all of your spreadsheet values. In the lower right quadrant you list Unit Conversions and have 180 F to 82.2 C. :bs: The hottest I ever ran was last summer at Roebling (Savannah) when it was 108 F  :fuming: , which should be 42.2 C.  :) I am sure it doesn't get that warm in the NorthWest.  :nerd: 

This is a fun thread to read (and post) between races.  :wave2: 

Tom Hart

#44 SM and T-4

2014 SC Driver of the Year

2015 SE Championship Series Spec Miata Champion

2016 SE Championship Series Spec Miata Champion

We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Donor - Made PayPal donation

Zauskycop

Zauskycop

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 250 posts
  • Region:Chicago
  • Car Number:45

Okay..I'm new to the discussion, as I just got back from Watkins Glen.   Where is the car, in the turn oversteering...Entry..mid, or exit?

Tracy Ramsey
45 SM
Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Bench Racer

Bench Racer

Different strokes for different folks : )

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,508 posts
  • Region:Milwaukee
  • Car Year:1990
  • Car Number:14

This really isn't that complicated.  I had the old 1.8 bar and the car handled great.  I changed suspension bushings and the car handled great.  I put in the 1.6 front bar set to full soft and the car was oversteery.  I set the rear to full soft and the car was "a little oversteery, but not bad at all".  I'm trying to get rid of a little oversteer without resorting to dramatic ride height changes or tire pressure.

Dude, I'm not being "prickish one bit. I was stating a fact as I read your post above.

No one has asked and I don't believe you have said if the oversteer situation is so bad that your required to counter steer.  ????

How long is the spacer you added to the front links?

With the spacers at the front links which hole are you in?

Please measure the horizontal distance from the front surface of your LCA single tab and the short hole (max stiff hole) on the bar arm. Drop a pendulum and neasure from the front of the single tab to the pendulum string.

Don't get all hung up about the spacers required to get the link somewhat vertical.

I had previously posted that my NA car has the single tab LCA, the front links are to the short holes (full stiff) and the link is tilted forward approx 1/2 inch when using a 1 inch long tube spacer.

If any one of us was at the track with you, we would all understand the visuals/measurements with your links. Ah, post a picture of your front tilted links.  

Broken record - You are starting to sound like a broken record. Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users