davew

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,297 posts
  • Region:Chicago
  • Car Year:1999
  • Car Number:72

I do not always agree with Todd, but he has had the 2 best posts on this entire thread. Hoosiers are fast, expensive, short lived and hard on suspension parts. If Hoosier came out with an SM10 compound, that lasted longer and had grip levels closer to the Toyo, we would all be better off.

The RA1 was not a great tire, but it was a great tire for Spec Miatas. I do not have an opinion on the RR's because I do not have any experience with them in race conditions.

We have another full season on the Hoosier contract. So I doubt anything will happen untill then. But here is my wishlist for tires.

Long life, does not drop off speed after 10 sessions

Mid pack can run 20+ sessions

Realatively cheap, $175 retail with some discount room for those of us reselling the tire

Shaved vs molded is a double edge sword. Not having to shave the Hoosiers is nice, but not being able to make a slightly used rain into a dry tire is costly. But that cost is only used about 5% of the time. So it may actually be a toss up.

Contingency should be WAY down on the list, only a few drivers ever see any real benefit. And most of them can afford to buy their own tires. Sorry Danny!

Track side support is hit or miss. The only track side support we have had in Cen-Div was at the Blackhawk National, and that was only until noon. Florida, VIR etc have had trackside services.

And to think, we have a year and half to argue about tires !!!!!!

Dave

• FTodaro, Blake Thompson, JRHille and 1 other like this

Dave Wheeler
Advanced Autosports, the nations most complete Spec Miata shop
Author, Spec Miata Constructors Guide, version 1 and 2.0

Building Championship winning cars since 1995

4 time Central Division Spec Miata Champion car builder 2012-2013-2014-2017

Back to Back June Sprints Spec Miata 1-2 finishes 2016 and 2017

5 time June Sprints winner in Mazda's

6 Time Northern Conference Champion Car Builder

2014 SCCA Majors National point Champion car builder

2014 SCCA Runoffs winner, T4 (Bender)

2014 Central Division Champion, ITS (Wheeler)

2013 Thunderhill 25 hour winning crew chief

2007 June Sprints winner, (GT1, Mohrhauser)

Over 200 race wins and counting.
www.advanced-autosports.com
dave@advanced-autosports.com
608-313-1230

Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill - Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Sponsor / Advertiser - Site sponsor / advertiser... support these guys! Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

LarryKing

LarryKing

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,659 posts

There are many other tire manufacturers/brands besides Toyo and Hoosier.

Just sayin.

2017 - SMSE SEDiv ECR Champion
Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

KW78

KW78

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 132 posts

Thoughts and opinions - some may say uniformed but its what I go with....

I left the class the second year of Topeka runoffs because I witnessed 2 of top 3 SM efforts use 8 shaved, 1/32 toyos, PER QUALIFYING SESSION to get the top spots.  In 20 minutes, they did 3 laps, tire change, 3 more laps.  I followed them on MYLAPS (god did that get F'd up now) and they were messing around with +/- a tenth or two.

A tire you throw away to get to the fast part is a really bad idea.

Hoosiers are decent for the class IMO.  The tire management game is worth more than 40hp to lap times, and the hoosier is good at a different point than the ra1s but at least there is tire left over for practice etc.

Marking tires is a bad idea.  For one, you will see bunches of miatas in the paddock not running to conserve tires for the race.  

I ran the toyo RR's on a 25 hour car and was not that impressed with the longevity. 

I ran BFG's on a 25 hour car and am very impressed with that longevity.

I ran shaved Hankook RS3's at the 25 hour, and that was a great tire all things considered.

I ran shaved Dunlops at the 25 hour.  This is the only tire that should be considered to replace the RA1.  It is decent as a rain tire, shaves to 5/32nds and runs good.  Shaves to 4/32 and runs great.  A 4/32 tire is *almost* as fast as a worn thin RA1.  The tire was consistent, and thinner isn't faster.  When you get thru the sticky rubber around 1/32, the tire falls off a shelf but it is not corded yet.  It takes a season of heat cycles to get there and it dropped less time than any other tire over its life that I have seen.

If the class wants to stick with a "race" tire, then I think the hoosier or the BFG is the answer.  IMO, we should not have a single spec tire, but a couple of choices.  It is like the shocks - there should be 3 valving options.  Unless your driving style conforms to the spec feel generated by the tires/shocks then you are toast to those who are.  I mention shocks because bolting BFGs onto my SM felt very strange.  It is like the spring rate of the tire is much more so the shock couldn't dampen it well on bumps and curbs.

If the marking tires "test balloon" is being floated, chances are it is already mostly decided and on the horizon.

My .02

Kyle

NOTE:  Too lazy to look it up for sure, but from memory the dunlop was $107, hankook $112, RA1 $143, RR - SM6- and R1 all $165-$171.....   ish....  

• JRHille likes this
Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Jim Drago

Jim Drago

East Street Racing / 2 Time National Champion

• Administrators
  • 6,566 posts
  • Region:Mid South
  • Car Year:2005
  • Car Number:2
I took the 1/32 excuse out as well, I shaved my 2009 runoffs tires to 1/32 :) The rest of the year a fat 2/32 or 3/32.
The RR are being shaved regularly already? So while it doesnt need to be, it is much faster if it is, so people will be shaving them.

I have not had to buy tires all year except one set of rains. I still have not "wasted" my tires stickering up. I use stickers when I need them, but other than Sebring this year, I have never felt the need to put on stickers. At Sebring the car was off, so even though I could have used stickers, I saved them as I wasn't winning anyway. I think you can easily race the tires competitively further out than many are claiming. I don't want to be hypocritically. I don't race past 5-6 sessions. I think if I had to, they would be fine as I have practiced on 10-12 session tires and they were fine. More depends on how long they sat, how they were broken in ( I do it entirely wrong for longevity as does anyone else qualifying on stickers) and most importantly, the track. If asked a simple for or against marked tires, I would probably say against as I don't think it accomplishes anything and will be a lot of wasted time and effort for nothing. In a matter of a few days, Collins will have every marking device made in every color ink possible

East Street Auto Parts
Jim@Eaststreet.com
800 700 9080

NASA Champs Winner - NASA Champs Winner Hoosier Super Tour points Champion - Hoosier Super Tour points Champion ARRC Champion - Won the ARRC Race in a Spec Miata Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata BFG Supertour Winner - Majors Winner - Circuit of the Americas Winner - We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner SCCA National Champion - Won SCCA Runoffs at Road America SCCA National Champion - Won SCCA Runoffs at Road America

Mike Collins

Mike Collins

Big Cheese

• Moderators
  • 1,262 posts
  • Region:Washington DC
  • Car Number:75

In a matter of a few days, Collins will have every marking device made in every color ink possible

Yep....

Mike "MEATHEAD" Collins
Founder - Partner
MEATHEADRacing
240-476-1593

www.meatheadracing.com
Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+ Sponsor / Advertiser - Site sponsor / advertiser... support these guys! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Sugar Daddy - Made PayPal donation of $500+ Donor - Made PayPal donation Beta-Tester - Assisted us with beta testing the website. MX5 Cup Participant - Has Participated in a MX5Cup.com Series Event Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other

Rob Burgoon

Rob Burgoon

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,465 posts
  • Car Year:1995
  • Car Number:91

FWIW, with hoosiers right now I already try to spend as much time off the track as I can. 

Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill - Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations!

Bench Racer

Bench Racer

Different strokes for different folks : )

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,508 posts
  • Region:Milwaukee
  • Car Year:1990
  • Car Number:14

In a matter of a few days, Collins will have every marking device made in every color ink possible

Ya know the ol saying, a poacher makes the best game warden.  :bigsquaregrin:

Broken record - You are starting to sound like a broken record. Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Jim Drago

Jim Drago

East Street Racing / 2 Time National Champion

• Administrators
  • 6,566 posts
  • Region:Mid South
  • Car Year:2005
  • Car Number:2

Rob - its because Jim only cares about the Sprints and the Runoffs that he is doing 12 weekends this year ..... no way to stay sharp with 3 weekends!

100% correct, also why I qualify for STL in my SM car. It kills two birds with one stone. Trying to get STL car back together for Sprints, but will be iffy

East Street Auto Parts
Jim@Eaststreet.com
800 700 9080

NASA Champs Winner - NASA Champs Winner Hoosier Super Tour points Champion - Hoosier Super Tour points Champion ARRC Champion - Won the ARRC Race in a Spec Miata Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata BFG Supertour Winner - Majors Winner - Circuit of the Americas Winner - We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner SCCA National Champion - Won SCCA Runoffs at Road America SCCA National Champion - Won SCCA Runoffs at Road America

fishguyaz

fishguyaz

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 119 posts
  • Region:AZ
  • Car Year:1999
  • Car Number:92

FWIW, with hoosiers right now I already try to spend as much time off the track as I can. 

a very telling post that is NOT good for a class.

I will elaborate more: I have yet to buy the hoosiers, nor will i.

I will race a different car before i start to spend that kind of $ racing a SM.

the $ you guys are talking, and the wear you are getting, and the tire prep that you are doing, you may as well just run goodyear 160.

from the reading in this thread, and other threads since the change IMO it is an accurate comparision.

tires are the biggest expense we have, so keeping the price down will only HELP everyone in the class.

race alone sucks................

Josh Pitt
1999 SM #92 SoPac division

Caveman-kwebb99

Caveman-kwebb99

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,062 posts
  • Region:Great lakes
  • Car Year:2000
  • Car Number:99
Not sure what u r talking about brad Pitt... numbers at races are actually up this year. Cota sold out in 45 minutes. Mid Ohio already had 29 as good if not better then last year. Sprints is at 40 will probably be 50. So who is racing alone? I am all for a tire that is fast from new till it cords, what tire would that be? I am for marking etc... if hats what people want, also don't care if someone has a set of stickers for every session. I spend what I feel is appropriate not what danny or gorilla feels is apropriate. I actually liked the ra1 he best, but I have to say its harder to win on a Hoosier cause everyone has improved on the tire... entry fee and travel expense is way more expensive than a set if tires... the initial investment to race is the real dough a car, trailer, tow vehicle, tools, gear and on and on. On my street car I don't buy the longest lasting tires I buy what rides nice and performs well. When you have some good ideas let us know rather then just gripe about the tire we are on

K. Webb