82 replies to this topic

Ron Alan

Ron Alan

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,732 posts
  • Car Year:1995

The rumor I heard (via internet, not reliable sources) was Laguna Seca. 

Though I would be a total homer for this...the potential for races under yellow would be huge!

Ron

RAmotorsports

Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

FTodaro

FTodaro

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,084 posts
  • Region:Great Lakes
  • Car Year:2001
  • Car Number:35

Please don't make it a 20+ hr pull to get there. I wonder if its the west coasts turn.

Frank
TnT Racing
SCCA Ohio Valley Region

Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+ We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Donor - Made PayPal donation

suck fumes

suck fumes

• SMembers
  • PipPipPip
  • 425 posts
  • Region:Lonestar
  • Car Year:1997
  • Car Number:75
Haha it's always a 20hish pull for Texas guys. Get used to it!
2010, 2011 SM Sowdiv points champion!
2011 National points champion!

WWW.MOTORSPORTHEAVEN.COM

Danny Steyn

Danny Steyn

Zulu rain warrior

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,439 posts
  • Region:FL
  • Car Year:1999
  • Car Number:39

If it is Laguna like the rumors have it, I am with Ron on this. From my very limited experience, Laguna is an awesome track, EXCEPT that the runoff areas at each turn are deep gravel that stop the car almost immediately that you have two tires off the racing line, so you end up parked in the impact zone. Lots of local and full course yellows

The local racers who have many years on this track, they will obviously definitely have an advantage, but more so than at other tracks. At other tracks on the test days, dumb drivers like me push the limits, and often exceed the tracks limits, go off, and come back on and then dial back that corner. We can very quickly determine what the track will allow you 

However if you do that at Laguna, you are parked for the entire session, and you get no laps, so this is a track where you incrementally work up to the limits, but never exceed them.

As Ron says ...................the potential for races under yellow would be huge!

• Jim Drago likes this

Danny
Danny Steyn Racing | DSR YouTube Channel
Danny Steyn Photography | Adept Studios | Ocean MachineryOPM AutosportsRossini Racing Engines | G-Loc Brakes | 

2 x SCCA Runoffs Champ | 1 x NASA National Champ | 6 x June Sprints Champ | 10 x ARRC Champ

1 x SCCA Super Sweep | 2 x Triple Crown | 4 x Hoosier Super Tour Points Champ | 6 x Majors Points Champ | 5 x SEDiv Driver of the Year

June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata ARRC Champion - Won the ARRC Race in a Spec Miata We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver NASA Champs Winner - NASA Champs Winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner ARRC Champion - Won the ARRC Race in a Spec Miata ARRC Champion - Won the ARRC Race in a Spec Miata Majors Winner - BFG Supertour Winner -

Rob Burgoon

Rob Burgoon

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,465 posts
  • Car Number:91

If it is Laguna like the rumors have it, I am with Ron on this. From my very limited experience, Laguna is an awesome track, EXCEPT that the runoff areas at each turn are deep gravel that stop the car almost immediately that you have two tires off the racing line, so you end up parked in the impact zone. Lots of local and full course yellows

The local racers who have many years on this track, they will obviously definitely have an advantage, but more so than at other tracks. At other tracks on the test days, dumb drivers like me push the limits, and often exceed the tracks limits, go off, and come back on and then dial back that corner. We can very quickly determine what the track will allow you 

However if you do that at Laguna, you are parked for the entire session, and you get no laps, so this is a track where you incrementally work up to the limits, but never exceed them.

As Ron says ...................the potential for races under yellow would be huge!

*sigh* dammit...  

Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill - Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations!

DylanMurcott

DylanMurcott

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 20 posts
  • Region:Mohawk Hudson

they should move it to LimeRock.  :hugegrin:

http://www.youtube.c...00?feature=mhee
^^

check out my youtube channel

follow me on Instagram @ dylanmurcott

pat slattery

pat slattery

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 724 posts
  • Region:Cincinnati
  • Car Year:1992
  • Car Number:79

DRAGO's lack of comments, tells me he must already know :optimist:

Broken record - You are starting to sound like a broken record. Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Broken record - You are starting to sound like a broken record.

Johnny D

Johnny D

Veteran Member

• Moderators
  • 6,121 posts
  • Region:San Francisco
  • Car Number:88

DRAGO's lack of comments, tells me he must already know :optimist:

He know's more than most of us, most of the time. So I thought that was a given. B)

J~

• Glenn likes this
2011 NASA Western Endurance Racing Championship E3 Champ
We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Beta-Tester - Assisted us with beta testing the website. Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Novel Approach - When a paragraph simply won't do... Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill - Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+

Brian Ghidinelli

Brian Ghidinelli

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 465 posts
  • Car Number:12

*sigh* dammit...  

See, you can go WAY more than 2 wheels off and not get stuck in the gravel!

Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill - Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Rob Burgoon

Rob Burgoon

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,465 posts

See, you can go WAY more than 2 wheels off and not get stuck in the gravel!

Maybe I just suck at Laguna, but it seems like the track penalizes side by side racing more severely than most.  Sucks not being able to attempt a pass in 5 or 6 without massive penalty.

Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill - Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations!

Duane Polsley

Duane Polsley

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 97 posts
  • Region:SFR

This dude knows how to pass at Laguna !

Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Brian Ghidinelli

Brian Ghidinelli

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 465 posts
  • Car Number:12

Maybe I just suck at Laguna, but it seems like the track penalizes side by side racing more severely than most.  Sucks not being able to attempt a pass in 5 or 6 without massive penalty.

Like the Kink at Road America?  

Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill - Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Rob Burgoon

Rob Burgoon

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,465 posts

Like the Kink at Road America?  

Never been there.  Couldn't say.

Rob Burgoon

Rob Burgoon

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,465 posts

This dude knows how to pass at Laguna !

Passing backmarkers isn't much to brag about.  Anyone that was his equal up front is long gone unless they spent the whole race racing someone.

Duane Polsley

Duane Polsley

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 97 posts
  • Region:SFR

Passing backmarkers isn't much to brag about.  Anyone that was his equal up front is long gone unless they spent the whole race racing someone.

Backmarkers  making excuses, like "seems like the track penalizes side by side racing more severely than most.  Sucks not being able to attempt a pass in 5 or 6 without massive penalty."

Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Rob Burgoon

Rob Burgoon

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,465 posts

Backmarkers  making excuses, like "seems like the track penalizes side by side racing more severely than most.  Sucks not being able to attempt a pass in 5 or 6 without massive penalty."

Whatever.  Your video is still a poor rebuttal.

Jim Drago

Jim Drago

East Street Racing / 2 Time National Champion

• Administrators
  • 6,567 posts
  • Region:Mid South
  • Car Year:2005
  • Car Number:2

Sucks not being able to attempt a pass in 5 or 6 without massive penalty.

I haven't been there, but I don't think that is always a negative. You should pay a penalty for a move that doesn't work or make sense? Just difference of opinion.

East Street Auto Parts
Jim@Eaststreet.com
800 700 9080

NASA Champs Winner - NASA Champs Winner Hoosier Super Tour points Champion - Hoosier Super Tour points Champion ARRC Champion - Won the ARRC Race in a Spec Miata Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata BFG Supertour Winner - Majors Winner - Circuit of the Americas Winner - We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner SCCA National Champion - Won SCCA Runoffs at Road America SCCA National Champion - Won SCCA Runoffs at Road America

Charlie Hayes

Charlie Hayes

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 513 posts
  • Region:West Coast
  • Car Number:22

Its still a race track....I think Sonoma has more places you CANNOT pass then MRLS without screwing up the lap. Thats what makes it even harder.  :fisheszzz: 

Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill - Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill

Rob Burgoon

Rob Burgoon

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,465 posts

I haven't been there, but I don't think that is always a negative. You should pay a penalty for a move that doesn't work or make sense? Just difference of opinion.

You're welcome to your opinion, but I think Willow Springs does a nice job of accommodating passing almost anywhere and without long hillclimbs to penalize passes and favor the 99s.  That's the real danger.  Beat someone in the corner and have them drive past with torque.

As for sonoma, I think it has several GREAT places to pass which offsets the single file esses.  Many of the bad places seem to not penalize you too severely either.  The pass attempt seems to get "resolved" quickly there.

And then there's the 92dB @ 50ft problem at Laguna...

Charlie Hayes

Charlie Hayes

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 513 posts
  • Region:West Coast
  • Car Number:22
Negative.

I won't go into detail but passes INTO 6 are a no no in what ever car. And from your video you would be down to 71mph in 6 and still get up to the mid-high 80s when I would never be lower than 81-82 on a bad lap and still not see 90mph at the top. That car of yours had plenty for the hill. I think a 1.6 can get around there without a problem. It's actually a better weapon for all the downhill stuff. It will be a prime location and a lot of fun.
Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill - Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users