MPR22

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,138 posts
  • Region:Southwest
  • Car Year:1999
  • Car Number:22

A new "Drivers" class.  Super Showroom Stock Star Spec Miata.

1.6 NA only class. 

Rules

NO NATIONAL CHAMPIONSHIP

No  Hard Top

Suspension package:

Stock Sway bars

Adjustable End links

Lowered springs to 5 inch ride height minimum on all 4 corners

Stock shocks

89-92 may upgrade sub-frame brace to 93 model 

NO adjustable perches

Engine:

Dyno Jet SAE corrected 

Max TQ= 98

Max HP=115

Sealed by Authorized Tech Center

+/- 2% variance allowed post tech

Failed test automatic 6 month suspension

Engine may be refreshed by standard machining practices to achieve numbers 

Exhaust:: 

MBE Exhaust 

Intake: Stock 

Spec Tire:

Dunlop Direzza Star Spec

1 set of tires per weekend marked at Tech

Must finish weekend no lower than 4/32" on 3 of 4 tires

Brakes:

Stock calipers/discs or OEM replacement

Pads: Open

Radiator:

CX Racing or stock

I know I am leaving out lots of details but you get the idea.  

Based on the amount of complaining regarding costs this class should be a no brainer.   I don't know how you could race any cheaper than this, basically chump car with a engine dyno max. 

Shattering - For those who cant drink tequila NASA Champs Winner - NASA Champs Winner Majors Winner - Novel Approach - When a paragraph simply won't do... We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Donor - Made PayPal donation

GregP

GregP

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  • Region:SFR
  • Car Year:1990
  • Car Number:52
I'm in

Bench Racer

Bench Racer

Different strokes for different folks : )

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,508 posts
  • Region:Milwaukee
  • Car Number:14

You can fool some of the fools,but not all of them. :scratchchin:   This is a slightly veiled 1.6 parity thread.  :duck:

• MPR22 likes this
Broken record - You are starting to sound like a broken record. Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

RussMcB

RussMcB

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 348 posts
  • Region:SEDiv
  • Car Number:57
I like the No Hardtop idea. That's the way these cars should be raced.

Racer Russ
Marietta, GA
Former SM racer (now back in a formula car)

Barber 2013 Topless

Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Alberto

Alberto

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,471 posts
  • Region:SFR

Why not just stick to Sealed Spec Miata specs which some regions already have?

• David L and Michael Colangelo like this
Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Rob Burgoon

Rob Burgoon

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,465 posts
  • Car Year:1995
  • Car Number:91

You can still cornerweight the car using shocks with smashed and un-smashed bushings.

Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill - Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations!

Pat Ross

Pat Ross

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 100 posts
  • Car Number:72

OK, allow Spec Miata shocks, springs, and adjustable spring supports so that the contestants can adjust the handling.

For all of those that claim that Spec Miata is not the entry level class it once was, this class should be just what they want.  If not, then they should quit their biatching about the cost to run in front.

Pat

MPR22

MPR22

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,138 posts
No change to suspension regardless of what my father says. 5 inch minimum ride height, spec springs, be creative on how you corner weight the car with stock shock bushings. My series is cheap not bully proof against creativity.
Shattering - For those who cant drink tequila NASA Champs Winner - NASA Champs Winner Majors Winner - Novel Approach - When a paragraph simply won't do... We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Donor - Made PayPal donation

Bench Racer

Bench Racer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,508 posts

If not, then they should quit their biatching about the cost to run in front.

Pat

Pat, with all due respect. There is a great difference between the weight/foot pound of torque between the 1.6 and the 99 plus and that is not bitchin, that's hard truthful fact. That is hard factual numbers clearly indicating that your son or you can make a mistake (we all make mistakes) or will come out of a corner at under 5,000 rpm in your 99 against a 1.6 car and we know who wins that deal. There is a difference between hard truthful fact and whatever your calling bitching. You guys have a 1.6 and you have a 99, compare the torque/horsepower dyno graphs, there ain't no bitching within the graphs. Were talking about two things here, torque and bitching, nothing else.  As the rules are today cost can not equalize the weight/foot pound of torque.    :D

Broken record - You are starting to sound like a broken record. Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Jaime Florence

Jaime Florence

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 115 posts
  • Region:West Coast
  • Car Year:1993
  • Car Number:96
If you want to try to start another class for 1.6s I think you should go the other way...throw a turbo or super charger at it and let's go blow some stuff up. If you pull it off I'm I'm with at least two cars, if not three.

If you are trying to keep things cheap I'd think that SSM should be the way to go...but I don't think that class is doing as well as folks would like. Going with a whole new spec would be a tough sell in my opinion....and if you are going to go through all that you might as well start with a more modern platform.

You can take your top off any time you like. You just need arm restraints. I've tried it, but I like that little bit of fiberglass over my head a little better.
We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill - Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill NASA Champs Winner - NASA Champs Winner Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Bench Racer

Bench Racer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,508 posts

Information note:

Just as there are different Spec Miata classes SM, SSM, 5SM today there were fragmented rule sets back in the Spec7 days. The left coast had the largest number of cars with divisons across the states with lesser numbers. A couple years ago there were a couple at the ARRC. 

A short story for the folks out of texas. There was a pretty good group of Spec7 racers down there and 1 top gun (RIP Tom) that continuously was accused of cheating on the spec7 site. He moved on to E production and kept on winning including the 2007 National Championship in E production.

MPR22

MPR22

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,138 posts

Pat, with all due respect. There is a great difference between the weight/foot pound of torque between the 1.6 and the 99 plus and that is not bitchin, that's hard truthful fact. That is hard factual numbers clearly indicating that your son or you can make a mistake (we all make mistakes) or will come out of a corner at under 5,000 rpm in your 99 against a 1.6 car and we know who wins that deal. There is a difference between hard truthful fact and whatever your calling bitching. You guys have a 1.6 and you have a 99, compare the torque/horsepower dyno graphs, there ain't no bitching within the graphs. Were talking about two things here, torque and bitching, nothing else.  As the rules are today cost can not equalize the weight/foot pound of torque.    :D

Dad can argue with the best of them so I will let him respond if he wishes.

This is not a parity thread, but some how you went there on  your own.  

I started the thread as an offshoot on the Hoosier tire thread.   I have read dozens if not hundreds of posts about the "good old days" where you could run at the front with a junk yard engine 1.6, a set of tires would last 3 weekends and the fields were so big you were lucky if you got a spot in the false grid.  A class that is essentially SSM  or exactly like SSM with a Spec Tire that has 200+ tread wear rating should be the ticket for all of those thousands of displaced racers.  

I dumbed down the suspension in my SSSSSM class because I didn't want all those really tricky people taking advantage of the low budget grassroots racers by being able to afford a set of scales and set up pads.  

I tightened the dyno spec, to easily achievable numbers for minimal dollars (refreshed head $1,200).  I also added the DQ factor so nobody would be too tempted to squeeze every last 1/4 horsepower out of the car (as we all know that gets expensive).  

Took off the hardtop, because who wants to spend $1000 for a top and $1,200 for a donor car.  Also it would make the fast guy easy pray for P2, and P3 if they just work together a little and draft by him.  Again equalizing the field.   

I created a Spec Tire that if raced un-shaved might last an entire season for about $500.  

I wouldn't allow a National Champion so only grassroots racers would care about the class.   We wouldn't want any truly talented people with big wallets ruining the class (This means you Caddell, Foss, Rampleberg, Drago, Von Chaboneau, Lamb, Goulart,.........) Oh snap, I think so of those guys were just talented and didn't have big wallets.      

So for about $5,000 to $6,000 you have a Spec Class that should not tear up equipment because you aren't ringing every last bit speed out of 20+ year old car.  

I have given an option that lowers costs and creates great parity between the haves and have nots in financial department.  

And the response from those that complain the most about costs is::

(crickets chirping)

(crickets chirping) 

(crickets chirping) 

As i have always suspected, there is a small vocal segment on this forum that like to complain.
That is all they want to do.  

If I handed them $5,000 no strings attached they would complain it wasn't $5001.  

Most people race SM because of the competition not the costs, if it was about costs they would race an IT

class. 

Don't get me wrong, I would like to spend less.   I am all for finding the magic bullet to parity and rising costs in the class, but the class is a victim of its own success, and that is not necessarily a bad thing. 

Jaime Florence

Jaime Florence

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 115 posts
  • Region:West Coast
  • Car Year:1993
  • Car Number:96

"I wouldn't allow a National Champion so only grassroots racers would care about the class.   We wouldn't want any truly talented people with big wallets ruining the class (This means you Caddell, Foss, Rampleberg, Drago, Von Chaboneau, Lamb, Goulart,.........) "
------

Wow. It's kinda like tits on a bull then...what's the point? It sounds like you are looking to create a novice class maybe?

...or you could just go down to your local trophie store, buy some real nice ones and save a whole bunch of money and time. IMHO any racing class that is designed never attract the names above, or guys like them, is destined for failure on day one.
We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill - Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill NASA Champs Winner - NASA Champs Winner Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Bench Racer

Bench Racer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,508 posts

Lighten up dude, my post #3 was/is to be humor.

My post #9 was a response to your fathers comment about bitching and running up front. Nothing more, nothing less.

You sure those are crickets chirping you hear and not grasshoppers.

Ron Alan

Ron Alan

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,732 posts

"I wouldn't allow a National Champion so only grassroots racers would care about the class. We wouldn't want any truly talented people with big wallets ruining the class (This means you Caddell, Foss, Rampleberg, Drago, Von Chaboneau, Lamb, Goulart,.........) "
------
Wow. It's kinda like tits on a bull then...what's the point? It sounds like you are looking to create a novice class maybe?
...or you could just go down to your local trophie store, buy some real nice ones and save a whole bunch of money and time. IMHO any racing class that is designed never attract the names above, or guys like them, is destined for failure on day one.

Did you fail reading comprehension in 6th grade :)

MPR last several sentences should clue everyone into his bait and then reveal his point...he sucked his Dad in..hahaha!

He agrees with you Jamie! As do I!

I really don't think the 1.6 needs the torque like the 1.8...it's so much lighter. (Loud sucking noise)

Ron

RAmotorsports

Pat Ross

Pat Ross

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 100 posts
  • Car Number:72
Ron,

I initiated this subject by sending Mike an e-mail suggesting this class. I called it CSM (Cheap Spec Miata). He changed the name to a more politically acceptable name and changed some of the original specifications I sent him (like adjustable spring perches).

My point was that for those that can't afford to spend the money and time to be competitive in SM there could be a class where they could compete to be at the front with the $ they can afford to spend. As has been said many times, the NA 1.6 can be built and maintained to run at the pointy end but it takes more effort and $. I can't afford to help Mike compete in the Conti series, too much money. I could probably afford to build a car to enter, but not compete with the front runners. Does that mean that they should change the specifications of the series so that we could be competitive with the better funded teams. No!!!! We need to enter which ever series we feel that we can run at or near the front with the budget we have.

Some seem to think that this new class would have a stigma attached to it. That you aren't a good driver if you are in this class. We can't all afford to live in million dollar houses, does that make us stupid? No, we are just living within our means.

Pat

Ron Alan

Ron Alan

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,732 posts
Well, my wife will tell you I'm wrong 100% of the time! I guess I'm proving her point...LOL

Both Mike and Jamie made statements and points that are a strong argument why this exercise is just that...an exercise. There are a whole lot of guys who race Lemons and Chump. There are a whole lot of guys who race SM or SSM and don't complain. Human nature is our real problem as you just can't take ego out of anything :)
And torque is over rated.

Ron

RAmotorsports

Bench Racer

Bench Racer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,508 posts

Well, my wife will tell you I'm wrong 100% of the time!    

And torque is over rated.   

I guess I'm proving her point...

:scratchchin:

Ron Alan

Ron Alan

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,732 posts
FISH ON :)

Ron

RAmotorsports

Bench Racer

Bench Racer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,508 posts

Naw, it was the best way to play. :glare:   <  Never used that little dude before.

Happy holiday to all.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: SSM, star spec

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users